• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBL: Games with Gold

KiraXD

Damn... im super pissed now... id rather have metro (since PS+ is getting metro last light later this month) i havent played either of them and would have loved to play the first game before playing last light.

(Also: is the first game rare or something? it seems to be listed used at around the same price as new these days... gamestop has it @ 29.99 Used and 29.99 New...)

Jagsrock

Banned

NO FAIR!
Baseball_pouting_kid_hemad.gif

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
At first my thought too. But when consider PS+ is so good and I will never unsubscribe it anyway, those games are pretty much permanent to me.
I find comfort in knowing that the opportunity cost of not resubscribing is just a discontinuation of the service I'm paying for.

Drainer

Banned
The games are getting newer at least. Average age is now over 3 years 9 months.

All games end up being "old" at some point.

As long as they're good, I'm not fussed with their age. They're free and they're permanent.

Competition is great because it results is stuff like this happening.

Syriel

Oh my word, the game I so badly wanted. Are we allowed to switch our region to the German one and get Metro 2033 for free or is that not allowed?

Switching regions is allowed, but if the game implements region checks Live won't let you complete the purchase if you are on a system with a different region code. This is on a per title basis in order to prevent people from buying games that won't play.

I tried that with one of the Japan games and while I could log on to JPN Live on my US system, it wouldn't let the purchase complete because I wasn't on a JPN coded 360.

Montresor

Do games get removed after the next month

The promotional offer gets removed. As an example, you can't purchase Sleeping Dogs for "free" anymore (one of last month's free games). But if you did download it last month, you can delete it and download it as much as you want.

Syriel

Do games get removed after the next month

The Games with Gold titles are only free for two weeks.

If you don't "purchase" it for free within that time, it's back to regular price.

If you want a specific title, the minimum subscription period is one month, which should net you three free games (four if you're lucky and manage to time it just right due to the fact that MS often activates the free price a few hours early).

If you've been silver for awhile, you can use the one month free trial promo on Xbox.com to get a free month of Live.

Daemul

Switching regions is allowed, but if the game implements region checks Live won't let you complete the purchase if you are on a system with a different region code. This is on a per title basis in order to prevent people from buying games that won't play.

I tried that with one of the Japan games and while I could log on to JPN Live on my US system, it wouldn't let the purchase complete because I wasn't on a JPN coded 360.

Ah ok, cheers. Let's hope we get the game free eventually.

genbatzu

Dead Island and Metro 2033? really?

both 1$ Humble Bundle Games... anyone wants them? still have them lying around

//edit: Madrugador is right, both games were BTA (beat the average), so ~$4-6, depends on time of purchase

Aiustis

So far for me, these aren't games I'd even consider for a dollar. Dead Island was a pleasant surprise that I'm glad they offered because I had zero interest in it. I thought Sleeping Dogs was nothing but regret for the time I wasted dl it and deleted it from my 360.

Excited about trying Metro 2033, never would buy that either. But free is worth a try.

LowerLevel

For 360? Really? Because maybe some people may not have what some would call a decent PC to run said games with even Medium settings (Unlikely, but still possible). Or maybe (and even more likely than the PC statement) some would like to improve their Gamerscore to add to their Live Rewards benefit. Whatever the reason, I'm sure there are some, if not quite a few worldwide (not just on GAF) that may actually desire these games.

But, as to your offer, no thank you. I already have them both on Steam :)

I thought it was Dead Island Riptide, but I may be wrong, too long ago

/edit: ah ok, google said you're right, this bundle had 3 reward tiers. Riptide was at $25, Metro and Dead Island BTA

Actually, you were right about Metro 2033. It was a BTA game in the Humble Deep Silver Bundle but not in the Humble THQ Bundle ;)

Also, Metro 2033 for PC was actually given for free thanks to a Facebook promotion.

Drainer

Banned
Any predictions going for what we think the first 2 games will be for Xbox One in April?

I can't start a thread obviously.

Predicting: Ryse (micro transaction/DLC)/LocoCycle

Hoping: Dead Rising 3 (so I can sell off my disc)/Peggle 2

Worst Case Scenario: Zoo Tycoon/LocoCycle

Lococycle just got a permanent price drop, don't see it being that.

It would kill future sales of Ryse to do it, I think if Ryse ever goes on it, it would be much further down the line but really I'm expecting them to start with indie games. ID@Xbox first games launch next month, I think it will coincide.

Also, why would Zoo Tycoon be worst case? Good game.

I am going to say Ryse for first title and it wouldn't surprise me if the 2nd game was Guacamelee! Super Turbo Champion Edition and MS started using ID@Xbox games for games for gold.

bryehn

Any predictions going for what we think the first 2 games will be for Xbox One in April?

I can't start a thread obviously.

Predicting: Ryse (micro transaction/DLC)/LocoCycle

Hoping: Dead Rising 3 (so I can sell off my disc)/Peggle 2

Worst Case Scenario: Zoo Tycoon/LocoCycle

I'd take Zoo Tycoon for sure. Been interested since day one, but would bite at $20.

Doffen

I hope Xbox One continues the trend of different games in different regions. I'd be all over that region switching.

Wish the US had gotten Riptide :(

Wasn't fond of Metro for the brief time I played it (mutants were bullet sponges), but loved the little things it did right.

Curufinwe

My Gold sub runs out on the 13th so Dead Island will be my last free game. So far Sleeping Dogs was the only one I actually played.

dead island turned out to be a great game. I really like it. Might have to get the second one.

Honestly, don't be too excited for Riptide. It's more of the same, but much more frustrating and way less fun. It's only advantage is a (very) slight graphical upgrade. I got it for $9 and that's about the right price.

I say this as someone who very much enjoyed Dead Island (both solo and co-op).

AzBat

I created a Google Docs spreadsheet to keep track of the Games With Gold & how old/new they are. Posted it at Beyond3D & thought you guys might be interested as well. It should automatically update when I change it once a month.

Click here to view the spreadsheet.

AzBat

I created a Google Docs spreadsheet to keep track of the Games With Gold & how old/new they are. Posted it at Beyond3D & thought you guys might be interested as well. It should automatically update when I change it once a month.

Click here to view the spreadsheet.

Added links to Wikipedia & MetaCritic(with scores). Not sure if I will add more data yet.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
So far for me, these aren't games I'd even consider for a dollar. Dead Island was a pleasant surprise that I'm glad they offered because I had zero interest in it. I thought Sleeping Dogs was nothing but regret for the time I wasted dl it and deleted it from my 360.

Excited about trying Metro 2033, never would buy that either. But free is worth a try.

Seems I'm not alone in thinking Sleeping Dogs isnt that good. It became extremely repetitive....for an open world game that is easy to do...but something I didnt notice in GTA V.

I got it for the PS3....and I barely play it now. Was a pleasant surprise to me that PS+ is getting Metro Last Light. I forgot all about it.

But overall seems the EUR side of these services gets the better deal most of the time.

Dead Island is such a mediocre game. For free, it's okay but I would never buy this. I'm in the hotel section looking for a parking lot or something. The melee combat with the first person perspective just doesn't work when that's the focus. I'm always either too early or too late in landing blows. This should have been a third person game instead.

Top Bottom