• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS launches June 16

Well, so far they have confirmed:

VS Mode
2 vs 2 Mode
Training Mode
Break the Targets.
6 confirmed characters, 4 "teased" characters.
Costumizable fighters with hidden depth
Mentions of "Single Player modes"

For a fighting game it already looks as robust as SFV was at launch.

This Direct expanded the known stage count, as well, and from the theming I think it's not unreasonable to think that every character has an associated home stage (like the noodle bowl stage in the segment showing off Minmin). I do consider a straight-up vs.-CPU arcade mode where you rotate through everybody on their home stage to be likely, but I'd like to hear about it, as at this point, that's the bar the game has to clear to solidify my purchase. And if it has even more to offer, all the better.

Damn, this looks like a game with the potential for a lot of depth, if the interchangeability of arms doesn't wreck the character individuation too much.

Movement/counters/supers are all character-specific and probably higher-impact than the weapons or elemental specializations in a real match situation.

0racle

This isnt to stir things up. But what is the appeal about ARMS?

usually Nintendo has some charm but to me this is really really lame and half baked, almost cringe worthy. I know I must be missing something but I dont know what.

Harpoon

Maybe these outfits dramatically change the character's appearance.

That doesn't change how having a character's skin colour change seems potentially... worrisome.

I think I'll go with Occam's razor on this. There is literally zero reason to think these aren't their own characters and they'd randomly throw in costumes to that character slider.

Seems more likely they're new characters...plus why would that screen show the same character in random other costumes? Alternate costumes?

More than that, the screen seems to be a screen/menu that shows all the weapons you've collected for that character. Why would you have to unlock equipment for the same character in an alternate costume?

Lingitiz

usually Nintendo has some charm but to me this is really really lame and half baked, almost cringe worthy. I know I must be missing something but I dont know what.

Explain what looks half baked about it.

It's a behind-the-back 3D fighting game where the main gimmick is closing big distances with extendable arms that you can twist and curve, and modify with various customizable options and unique character traits. To my knowledge, there isn't an active fighting game on the market that does anything like this. It also has really great art and character design that pops really nicely.

Cerium

It's a very unique take on the fighting game genre.

Last time Nintendo did that we got Smash Bros.

Doorman

I still feel like Nintendo's official "demo fights" don't do as good of a job of showing matches as much as some of the stuff I've seen from people playing in the preview events, but it was good to see more info about things like unlocks and the target-shot game expanding upon the basic fighting mode we already knew about to add some longevity. This definitely feels like they're coming from the Smash Bros and Splatoon school of Info-Drip, for better or worse.

Knowing now that the game's not hitting until mid-June, I fully believe the tease at the end when they say there's much more information coming. We knew similarly-little about Splatoon for quite a while as well, including information on its single player campaign, ranked modes, gear and gear abilities, eventual squad battles, Splatfests, and so on. The timeline is a bit more condensed here than it was between Splatoon's initial reveal and its launch, but every look we get is giving us more and continues to hint at more still.

That doesn't change how having a character's skin colour change seems potentially... worrisome.

I think I'll go with Occam's razor on this. There is literally zero reason to think these aren't their own characters and they'd randomly throw in costumes to that character slider.
A lot of anime fighters allow you to change a character's skin tone. It's pretty common.

orioto

Good Art™
Explain what looks half baked about it.

It's a behind-the-back 3D fighting game where the main gimmick is closing big distances with extendable arms that you can twist and curve, and modify with various customizable options and unique character traits. To my knowledge, there isn't an active fighting game on the market that does anything like this. It also has really great art and character design that pops really nicely.

And you can feel from the footage and the concept that it's super well balanced and has a lot of depth and strategy to it. It seems like a super solid game to me.

I would buy it but what about the solo mode and online ? Is there online ?

It's basically Nintendo's take on Virtual On and it looks pretty damn dope
Online play has been confirmed since the announcement AFAIK

Doorman

And you can feel from the footage and the concept that it's super well balanced and has a lot of depth and strategy to it. It seems like a super solid game to me.

Yes, it was confirmed to have online battles literally during its first reveal.
What we don't know is how matchmaking works, or whether the new 2v2 stuff will also be playable online. Given the team this is coming from I imagine it would work on a similar points-ranking system to Mario Kart to try and match you with like-skilled players, but they could easily go with something entirely different if they felt like it.

People calling it half baked must have been half baked when they watched the Direct. Nintendo went out of their way to describe the amount of strategy and possibilities involved in any given match. There were plenty of other games one could describe as half-baked in Direct, ARMS sure as shit ain't one of them.

HeroR

Would be nice if a new Nintendo IP would launch with tons of content to give it a strong launch. Splatoon 1 failed to do that.

And it still sold millions. Proving a lot of content doesn't necessarily sell games. It is the gameplay.

People calling it half baked must have been half baked when they watched the Direct. Nintendo went out of their way to describe the amount of strategy and possibilities involved in any given match. There were plenty of other games one could describe as half-baked in Direct, ARMS sure as shit ain't one of them.

The same criticism were level at Splatoon. Many people called it a half-banked game that should be sold for $20 on eshop. Now, it is still too early to say if ARMS will be the next Splatoon, but given that this is the the studio who made Mario Kart 8, you should give them the benefit of the doubt. At worst, the game will only be good.

Dremorak

Banned

They already said in the announcement there would be online. I would assume it has single player just like splatoon

SalvaPot

The art-style reminds me of Punch-Out, but with more playable characters, including females and robots.

The gameplay may look slow, but you are controlling a character that:
-Can move in all directions while facing forward.
-Can jump in any direction (With additional Jumps or actions depending on the character, like a double jump with Ribbon Girl, Hover with mecanica, and so on)
-Allows for two attack inputs at any time. In normal fighting games you usually commit to a single input (A punch, a kick, a special, guarding) and a few variations (jump+attack, cancel). In ARMS you can attack with one of your arms, then the other, or with both at the same time, and you can do it while jumping, with the arm taking a while to reach your opponent, allowing for mind games and stratregies like spacing, cornering your opponent to a desired location, adding pressure and more.

So it is a lot more complex than it may seem, because you have to manage both your arms and there is a lot of risk/reward going on in how and when you attack and the equipment you choose to attack.

I remember people thinking Splatoon seemed silly and a pointless shooter when it was announced, and people warmed to it A LOT after they played it. This aims to be a similar experience.

tumblr_oobkb7BOVv1qaywrho3_540.gif

DKL

I remember people thinking Splatoon seemed silly and a pointless shooter when it was announced, and people warmed to it A LOT after they played it. This aims to be a similar experience.

I remember my mind being completely blown once I started playing Splatoon and understanding how the movement options work...

I'm not sleeping on Arms specifically because of what they pulled off with Splatoon lol

This game looks amazing. If today didn't get you excited for it, nothing will. 2v2 was a wonderful surprise ...and how deep the mechanics get, taking elements into account as well as the different arm types. And Minmin is my babygirl forever. They better cook her Ramen right.

the game launches at the end of E3 week thats gonna be hell for reviewers hopefully Nintendo allows reviews the week before to make it easier on the press.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Every time someone compares this to Virtual On I have to go and change my underwear. Goddamn I can't wait.

The 2-on-2 has the potential to be crazy fun. Love how nonchalantly they dropped that.

I want Minmin to kick me.

There has to be more to the game than zoning. I need to see characters being more aggressive and pushing forward.

The closer you are, the "faster" your punches seem to be, since there's less distance to travel. I imagine some gloves are better suited for mid-close range, and others for longer range.

Mory Dunz

a nonsexualized as it can get female character gets announced and the reaction is...this.
cool

edit:
lol guys, why even respond to the "stir things up" guy when that's what he's doing? If there's a negative with basis/reasoning, have at it. If the reason is "cringe-worthy" and that's it, nah.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member

What exactly is "cringe worthy" about the game?

Regiruler

Hopefully it won't take too long to unlock the other arms, for the sake of competitive play.

Fuck that

I want to work for something for once.

I want features and characters with clever and original unlock conditions again, not everything given to you on a silver platter.

Fuck that

I want to work for something for once.

I want features and characters with clever and original unlock conditions again, not everything given to you on a silver platter.

If Nintendo is aiming for this game to be competitive then unlocking characters shouldn't be difficult. In fact, it should be quick like in Smash.

DKL

The problem with this kind of thing has to do with tournaments: it might be too much of a hassle to get specific loadouts unlocked for all the tournament setups and you end up in a scenario like when Jill or Shuma isn't unlocked for a UMVC3 setup.

Hopefully, this can be solved by having gear on an Amiibo or something.

But then, this is on a portable, so maybe this will be a nonissue since all the players will probably be dragging their shit with them to the venues lol

Regiruler

It's Nintendo is aiming for this game to be competitive then unlocking characters shouldn't be difficult. In fact, it should be quick like in Smash.

Smash 4 was awful in both ways: unlocking characters was too easy, unlocking everything else was absolutely painful.
The problem with this kind of thing has to do with tournaments: it might be too much of a hassle to get specific loadouts unlocked for all the tournament setups and you end up in a scenario like when Jill or Shuma isn't unlocked for a UMVC3 setup.

Hopefully, this can be solved by having gear on an Amiibo or something.

But then, this is on a portable, so maybe this will be a nonissue since all the players will probably be dragging their shit with them to the venues lol

Give a special cheat code, or just give tourneys a version with everything unlocked.

No thanks, character unlocks in fighting games is something I wish was already completely dead by now.

We'll already have to unlock arm parts, don't double down on this shit.

Lukemon

Only just catching up with this but saw 2v2 mentioned and was expecting some kind of tag system where you switch out characters and rework your loadout while not in combat to better suit the opponent(s), which would make for an amazing tug-of-war in tag matches.

Then I watched the vid and saw that it's real time 2v2, which looked like a hot mess. I'm sure it's fun enough - 1v1 is, from what I played - but it seems completely at odds with trying to sell it as a competitive fighter with depth and nuance, things it clearly has as a 1v1 game. Odd addition.

Still, glad to see more character specific stuff. A small roster doesn't matter if each glove adds another variable onto what they can do, and then you then have to deal with different punch types, elements, passives and so on. Dead keen to get this and start practicing those vicious hooks...

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Only just catching up with this but saw 2v2 mentioned and was expecting some kind of tag system where you switch out characters and rework your loadout while not in combat to better suit the opponent(s), which would make for an amazing tug-of-war in tag matches.

Then I watched the vid and saw that it's real time 2v2, which looked like a hot mess. I'm sure it's fun enough - 1v1 is, from what I played - but it seems completely at odds with trying to sell it as a competitive fighter with depth and nuance, things it clearly has as a 1v1 game. Odd addition.

Still, glad to see more character specific stuff. A small roster doesn't matter if each glove adds another variable onto what they can do, and then you then have to deal with different punch types, elements, passives and so on. Dead keen to get this and start practicing those vicious hooks...

2v2 is what you throw on to dick around when you're a pro and you have some scrub friends over.

Mory Dunz

2v2 is what you throw on to dick around when you're a pro and you have some scrub friends over.

yea not sure how 2v2 is an "odd" addition when you want a game to have casual appeal.
Clearly they're going for the competitive angle, but they also know the casual audience is where the money is.

Top Bottom