• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD I.5+II.5 ReMIX |OT| Kingdom Hearts Final Port

Use Goofy? Ping has crap skills until she goes back to being Mulan. They even gave her tripping animations.

You should have Valor form at this point. If you're not abusing the ever-loving fuck out of Drive forms than you're not playing right. Every form has one unique ability they pass on to base Sora when leveled up. And what levels them up is different for each form. You can check what gets you points in the form's status screen. For Valor you just have to hit things.

In KH1 I would mess w/ ai settings, but in KH2 I never bothered.
Alright, I'll switch to Goofy and see if that improves things. That section would be alot easier if I could use the drive form but it's greyed out when Ping is in my party despite having a full level 3 drive metre.

Is the valor form something you can only use when Donald and Goofy are in your party?

Edit - Nevermind, a friend a work told me that using the valor form just removes Goofy from battle so subbing him in for Donald should work. I wish I wasn't dumb and realized this before I overwrote my proud mode save lol.

I’m glad KH2FM found some good uses for specific Drive Forms in new boss designs and in the Mushroom XIII, but at the end of the day some of them clearly have more utility in battle than others, which is too bad.

NullKaze

I'm glad KH2FM found some good uses for specific Drive Forms in new boss designs and in the Mushroom XIII, but at the end of the day some of them clearly have more utility in battle than others, which is too bad.
Some have more utility, but they're all equally viable.

This is a vid of someone beating Lingering Will with every Drive Form (including Anti Form):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7W6Fk7Xzw4

All equally viable, and some quite surprising. Nice to see Wisdom Fire + Goofy Tornado works on people other than Demyx.

Omg I just reached Timeless River, so fucking cool!

I remember seeing screenshots in EGM back in middle school and being pissed that I didn't have a PS2 to experience it.

Meowster

Omg I just reached Timeless River, so fucking cool!

I remember seeing screenshots in EGM back in middle school and being pissed that I didn't have a PS2 to experience it.
Timeless River is one of my FAVORITE Kingdom Hearts worlds. They put so much effort and care into that. Much better than the Disney Town that they made in Birth By Sleep.

Meowster

Not a fan of this command system in BBS. Not sure why they couldn't just copy the KH2 battle system which is perfect.
It.. gets better. I agree with you that KH2 basically was perfection. I ended up having fun with it once I started experimenting but it all depends on how much you enjoy grinding, I guess. It is cool to be able to get abilities like Leaf Bracer and Once More as early as you want too though.

Slowly going through KH1, collecting mats in Halloween Town before Neverland (want to get all available synthing done gradually as encounters reset after HB).

I have to say, I have never used magic or summons to this effect before. My word, it can be INSANE. Back when I was a kid I never once thought that the amount of MP=Magic power. By choosing Staff in the beginning, my MP bar is nearly twice as big as my HP one with Spellbinder and accessories equiped at LV44. While physical damage does relatively little, Thundara oneshots nearly everything. Stopra can also last for a long while.

But the biggest surprise by far is Ripple Drive. Since it's a skill introduced in FM I haven't played around with it until now. Due to its power being tied to Max MP, the attack can break regular mobs in half. Testing against Fat Bandits in Agrabah, I took 9 hits without finishers to beat one while a single Ripple Drive beat one instantly at full health. Shame it doesn't scale to bosses as much.

Bambi is also a Summon I used to consider completely useless but is now my favorite. He is invaluable for early-mid game mat farming due to his mechanic and he can also be your main source of Potions, Hi-Potions and Ethers.

Staff/night route is proving to be AMAZING. I highly recommend it if you are going for postgame/plat.

NullKaze

I have to say, I have never used magic or summons to this effect before. My word, it can be INSANE. Back when I was a kid I never once thought that the amount of MP=Magic power. By choosing Staff in the beginning, my MP bar is nearly twice as big as my HP one with Spellbinder and accessories equiped at LV44. While physical damage does relatively little, Thundara oneshots nearly everything. Stopra can also last for a long while.

Bambi is also a Summon I used to consider completely useless but is now my favorite. He is invaluable for early-mid game mat farming due to his mechanic and he can also be your main source of Potions, Hi-Potions and Ethers.

Staff/night route is proving to be AMAZING. I highly recommend it if you are going for postgame/plat.
Yep, even a simple Firaga does amazing damage and it uses 1 charge MP, not 1 whole block. Meaning you can do pretty much ~78 casts of Firaga at approx midgame if you chose Staff + Spellbinder + Accessories. It's great against annoying mooks (Wyverns, Defenders, Darkballs, Invisibles, etc.)

Also, Stopra + Gravira + Bambi on Dragon Maleficent is hilarious.

Not a fan of this command system in BBS. Not sure why they couldn't just copy the KH2 battle system which is perfect.
Have you / will you be getting around to 0.2? I’m curious as to your thoughts on if you liked how they merged certain elements of KH2 and BBS’s battle systems together.

Meowster

I was surprised that mastering all the Ice Cream Beat songs weren’t as hard as I had imagined. All I have to do now is do the last two missions at the Mirage Arena and face off against Mysterious Figure and Vanitas. And then do it all over again with Aqua and Ven lol. But I honestly don’t mind because I have come to really enjoy combat and the minigames. Command Board really isn’t as scary as it appears.

It.. gets better. I agree with you that KH2 basically was perfection. I ended up having fun with it once I started experimenting but it all depends on how much you enjoy grinding, I guess. It is cool to be able to get abilities like Leaf Bracer and Once More as early as you want too though.
Yeah after a little more time with it my stance has softened but KH2 is so much better. Why fix what's not broken?

Have you / will you be getting around to 0.2? I’m curious as to your thoughts on if you liked how they merged certain elements of KH2 and BBS’s battle systems together.

Not yet but I will pick it up on sale. $50 seems expensive for a DDD remake.

*if* KH3 really is building on KH2FM's systems and then just layering on a deeper version of 0.2's dial-a-finisher/style system, it'll be great - I am just not 100% certain that they're going to get the physics quite right (0.2.is a great effort but still lacking in a few places).

I have to say that Mysterious Figure is the most bullshit boss I've encountered in gaming yet.

It really is. There is no sugarcoating it, it is seriously obnoxious and irredeemable. Compared to Lingering Sentiment (who too overwhelms you in the first few attempts) there is nothing to learn here, no way to really get technically "better" at this fight. Especially if you are Terra, this fight just pure RNG. Plain and simple, it SUCKS.

"Hey, let's design a boss who you can only beat with a single command granting you invincibiltiy frames and dodging ad nauseum!" "By god Designer-san, that is an amazing idea!"

I would say the music is amazing but you'll hardly hear it due to your health being red all the time.

Yeah, MF is trash.

I'm of the minority sentiment that VS isn't so bad as far as learning/defending against his attacks go and is actually (due to the health bar/healing thing) a pretty intriguing boss design when it comes to the basics of it, but at the end of the day BBS's battle system, as fun as it is to spam against normal mobs, doesn't really hold up that well for boss fights at all because it's so difficult for the offense *or* defense to feel interesting.

Put differently: VS is an example of a boss fight that'd be quite cool with KH2FM's battle system (in my opinion) or with what KH3's battle system looks to be shaping up as (and the same goes for No Heart), whereas MF would be bullshit under any circumstances.

Armor of the Master isn't awful except that his spiraling light beams move is ridiculously easy to avoid AND takes an incredibly long time, so it's a total pace-killer that's really just meant to get you a free Curaga.

Meowster

It really is. There is no sugarcoating it, it is seriously obnoxious and irredeemable. Compared to Lingering Sentiment (who too overwhelms you in the first few attempts) there is nothing to learn here, no way to really get technically "better" at this fight. Especially if you are Terra, this fight just pure RNG. Plain and simple, it SUCKS.

"Hey, let's design a boss who you can only beat with a single command granting you invincibiltiy frames and dodging ad nauseum!" "By god Designer-san, that is an amazing idea!"

I would say the music is amazing but you'll hardly hear it due to your health being red all the time.
I’m finishing Terra’s record first so I guess if he is the hardest one to fight against, I guess I am saving myself a hassle in the future? I’m around level 52 and managed to get him down to half health several times but that’s as far as I can get before his wind and fire attacks one shot me. Didn’t have this kind of difficulty against Eraqus’s armor so wasn’t expecting this level of raging difficulty. I’m gonna grind a little I guess. I wish leveling in this game wasn’t such a slog compared to the other games.

Is Skull Island with 2x Mega Flares and Victory Pose still the best way to grind with Terra here?

I'm finishing Terra's record first so I guess if he is the hardest one to fight against, I guess I am saving myself a hassle in the future? I'm around level 52 and managed to get him down to half health several times but that's as far as I can get before his wind and fire attacks one shot me. Didn't have this kind of difficulty against Eraqus's armor so wasn't expecting this level of raging difficulty. I'm gonna grind a little I guess. I wish leveling in this game wasn't such a slog compared to the other games.

Is Skull Island with 2x Mega Flares and Victory Pose still the best way to grind with Terra here?

MF with Terra is by far the hardest thing you have to do if you are gunning Platinum. Mind you, I said HARDEST, not most tedious. Whether the rest will be a hassle depends on your love for certain enemies and mini-games. I didn't mind any of them except for Fruitball.

I have problems with Eraqus Armor as a fight as well but it worked a lot better than MF for sure as there IS some logic to his moveset as he can (sometimes) be both blocked and countered effectively.

As far as leveling goes, you can check this old video out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8Z7LOcuFFM

I didn't utilize it much myself but it is by far the fastest way to level up and still works like a charm.

I can’t believe I did but I finally was able to wreck Mysterious Figure after taking a break from raging hard last night. I guess this battle is really more dumb luck than anything else? My heart was pumping mad when I realized I finally beat him. I just hope he is a little bit easier for Ventus and Aqua.. I don’t mind doing the minigames over again (some of them can actually be pretty fun) but that was.. phew.
VASTLY easier with them, since they have the invincibility frames in their dodges to stay pretty safe as needed.

LAM09

Finally got around to completing KH 2.5. It was a breeze to play through compared to 1.5.

Unsure if I can be bothered to max out my forms or move onto 358/2.

I've been lamenting the lack of difficulty on proud for the last few hours on KH2 but the boss battle with Oogie Boogie actually took a few tries and was pretty fun.

I'm hoping there's a bit of a challenge spike at some point ala post Hallow Bastion in the first game as I don't really want to play through everything again for the 4th time in critical lol.

Still absolutely adoring locals and story.

Meowster

VASTLY easier with them, since they have the invincibility frames in their dodges to stay pretty safe as needed.
Hallelujah. Just finished doing everything with Terra now that I beat No Heart (literally had no clue he even existed until I realized I was missing a Mickey sticker). He was an infinitely more interesting boss than Mysterious Figure but never found him to be absolute bullshit either. Now I am back in the game as Ventus.

Neverland’s field theme is so gorgeous. 😍 I hope they bring the world back someday for a console title.

Hallelujah. Just finished doing everything with Terra now that I beat No Heart (literally had no clue he even existed until I realized I was missing a Mickey sticker). He was an infinitely more interesting boss than Mysterious Figure but never found him to be absolute bullshit either. Now I am back in the game as Ventus.

Neverland’s field theme is so gorgeous. 😍 I hope they bring the world back someday for a console title.

No Heart can clearly be beaten 'normally,' which is to say with a deck of the commands you like the most and proper reading/defending of his attacks, whereas with MF it's basically required to cheese it.

Meowster

You weren’t kidding. That was so much easier, I’m actually kinda shook. You can just dodge roll the entire time and never get hit. I was a little miffed that he started going invisible at three bars but still managed to get around that. The music is nice now that I don’t have to hear Terra’s agonizing screams and the low health ping over and over and over it. Now all I have left is Aqua and I’ll have my platinum. Saving the best for last.. I hope.

deanote666

Any tips for the battle system for a first time player of BBS? As in, how do I keep random encounters from getting me?

Either I am really bad at the system, the system is bad, or Terra just sucks.

Azuran

Banned
Any tips for the battle system for a first time player of BBS? As in, how do I keep random encounters from getting me?

Terra just sucks. BBS is pretty easy to break so you can easily look up the recipes online and create broken commands right off the bat.

If not, just play defensively and you'll be fine. Terra is not exactly a character you want to be randomly mashing attacks with considering his high attack delay and low speed.

The early game in BBS is just plain hard on Proud and Critical. It'll get substantially easier once you get some passive abilities in place and some good Deck Commands, but the very opening hours of the game don't really allow you much of an opportunity to even grind for commands/materials. Trust me, it gets WAY easier (and Roxas and especially Aqua have a much, much harder early game than Terra).

Endgame Terra does suck, though, but he's definitely the character who can handle the early parts of the game most easily.

And yeah, as mentioned above: especially if you're playing on Critical, there's no shame in looking up recipes for commands and especially recipes for passive abilities. Boosting HP/HP prize drops/attack haste/magic haste is super useful basically no matter what strategy you're planning to employ, but also you'll want to get the all-important Leaf Bracer/Once More/Second Chance as soon as possible. If I were you, I'd also absolutely invest in maxing out Lucky Strike as early as possible - getting more material drops and more command drops from enemies will make it vastly easier to build yourself the deck you want and learn every last passive ability.

Don't forget to level up your DLinks early and abuse them often in the early game - a bunch of them will give you much better command decks than you're even capable of building in the early game.

Finally picked this up. Game looks fantastic. I forgot how good the story as in KH1. I actually teared up a little
when Sora saved Kairi

Expecting a call back in 3,
"I'll protect you this time."

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Playing BbS.

Missed two Xehanort reports! Dammit, need to do Terra and Ven's final bosses again.

Done.

Wait. Where's my final episode?

*Googles Xehanort reports*

FFFFFFFF THERE'S 12

I NEED TO FINISH VEN'S GAME AGAINNNNN

Finally beat KH2FM at the 40:13 hour mark.

My right wrist is quite sore after the button mash fest that was the final battle with
Xenmas
, but the
1st
ending cinematic made it so so worth it!

I really enjoyed all of the quality of life changes made, the battle system, making the gummi ship shit actually bearable and most of the new worlds (pirate's and Tron's world being kinda meh.)

Overall I really enjoyed my time with the game but the inconsistent difficulty (played on proud) made some parts of the game either too easy or ridiculously hard out of nowhere and some of the charm of the first game seemed missing here too.

Still a great game and now I'm off to watching 358/2 & Recoded before taking a break from Kingdom Hearts until after the fall rush.

Lokimaru

Ugg, Why is KH 1 such a slog (Fucking Monstro)? Trying to get through these as quick as possible to be ready for 3. Funny thing is I've already beaten 1, 2 and Birth by Sleep so could skip straight to 2.8 but I want to see the final mix stuff in the original games and refresh myself on the story. Should I say screw it and play the newer stuff or tough it out?

Top Bottom