• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT10| Ultimate Infuriation

I think the intent here was to shake up the meta by targeting specific decks. And I think they were targeting pwar specifically, not just good cards like patches in general. So the intent being to nerf pwar explains why FWA was even an option and I am sure it was considered next to nerfing patches.

I think it is worth noting that pwar was already a strong deck before patches, but simply outclassed in every way by dragon warrior. It was only when patches was introduced that pwar saw play but not because pwar was bad before patches but because it was just a weaker dragon warrior list before patches. Would nerfing patches bring it's winrate more in line? Maybe? I guess we'll never know for sure.

Sure, glyph is strong. I've had my share of loses from a seemingly random meteor or 3rd ice block, etc.. They have a higher level of broken than most people do though. The card has to be really busted for them to act on it. Like call of the wild busted, undertaker, grim patron OTK combo, etc..

I think control mage of last meta wasn't a deck that needed to be nerfed. It was a deck you could easily target with several decks in the meta. I know dragon priest did very well against it since their huge minions were difficult to deal with. And I know control decks with healing were strong against it because it shut down the alexstrasza method of winning, leaving medivh as the only real way which could be defeated by weapon removal.

I don't think quest mage is a real threat still. So why nerf primordial glyph? Secret mage?

I understand their approach. I just think it's silly and I don't agree with it. That's why people joke about it, not because they don't understand it.

I don't think the strength of the deck goes 1:1 with the nerfs they hand out, nor should it. Jade Idol deserved to be nerfed back when Jade Druid it was a high 40s winrate deck that got rolled over by aggro. Quest Rogue was nerfed at effectively the same state. I don't think Mage has to be OP for glyph to deserve a nerf, the reason being that a 0-net mana discover a great answer is too good, IMO.

If it was like discover a hunter spell then it would be fine.

I understand their approach. I just think it's silly and I don't agree with it. That's why people joke about it, not because they don't understand it.

I don't think the strength of the deck goes 1:1 with the nerfs they hand out, nor should it. Jade Idol deserved to be nerfed back when Jade Druid it was a high 40s winrate deck that got rolled over by aggro. Quest Rogue was nerfed at effectively the same state. I don't think Mage has to be OP for glyph to deserve a nerf, the reason being that a 0-net mana discover a great answer is too good, IMO.

If it was like discover a hunter spell then it would be fine.

Quest rogue was a weird nerf compared to most. More like a yogg nerf than a FWA nerf. I think the nerf for QR and yogg were based on community complaints about feels/powerlevel but just as important it was nerfed because it was too highly represented in tournament play. I guess glyph fits one of those but not the other? The tournament meta is never going to be warped around primordial glyph as it only exists in a single class and it's not oppressive like quest rogue was. And I don't mean complaints about feels as demeaning, I was alongside those complaining about BS yogg wins.

I don't completely agree with the approach either. But I don't think it's silly and while I am sure you, dahbomb, and zealousd know whats up, I don't think it's clear that others do and that makes it a conversation worth having.

Played this no-duplicate Lich Jaina deck that was really weird. I guess Kazakus was in there, but I never saw it.

Won when he played Spellbreaker after Blizzard, giving me enough damage for lethal. Silence does not remove the Jaina lifesteal effect.

wiibomb

Played this no-duplicate Lich Jaina deck that was really weird. I guess Kazakus was in there, but I never saw it.

Won when he played Spellbreaker after Blizzard, giving me enough damage for lethal. Silence does not remove the Jaina lifesteal effect.

it has the exact same effect of the rogue quest, the effect is permanent and can't be silenced.

each time something in the game says to give something "this game" or "for the rest of the game" would mean that the effect is permanent

it has the exact same effect of the rogue quest, the effect is permanent and can't be silenced.

each time something in the game says to give something "this game" or "for the rest of the game" would mean that the effect is permanent

it's funny Wizards did that a long time ago and realized that not having anything on board that signifies the effect is confusing and as a result created a new type of card that can't be interacted with whatsoever that is there to remind people of the effect.

so now instead of "for the rest of the game" they write "you get an emblem with" and the emblem reads out what the effect does.

wiibomb

it's funny Wizards did that a long time ago and realized that not having anything on board that signifies the effect is confusing and as a result created a new type of card that can't be interacted with whatsoever that is there to remind people of the effect.

so now instead of "for the rest of the game" they write "you get an emblem with" and the emblem reads out what the effect does.

oh that's funny, I didn't know MtG had similar effects.

I suppose the token is pretty necessary for MtG since it is a physical game and the effects can sometimes slip by...

at least on the digital space it's pretty clear when something is different (like the little heart symbol or the green 5/5s)

You do have the jaina deathknight portrait, maybe they should let you scroll over it like any other card. They definitely could make a space for permanent effects to show though. I think they should. I guess it could be hard to fit for mobile though.

oh that's funny, I didn't know MtG had similar effects.

I suppose the token is pretty necessary for MtG since it is a physical game and the effects can sometimes slip by...

at least on the digital space it's pretty clear when something is different (like the little heart symbol or the green 5/5s)
yeah determining how powerful a creature is can be pretty tough in magic due to obvious limitations and incredibly complicated boardstates.
You do have the jaina deathknight portrait, maybe they should let you scroll over it like any other card. They definitely could make a space for permanent effects to show though. I think they should. I guess it could be hard to fit for mobile though.
that's an option having the effect show up when you hover a card like any other is dumb as that tells you silencing it should work.

This meta is so much more fun I played enough til this happened.

Code:
[IMG]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/170628513789902849/361279396591697920/Hearthstone_Screenshot_09-23-17_18.30.42.png[/IMG]

grats what deck did you go with?

Thx, final list ended up being

### Prince Tempo
# Class: Rogue
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Mammoth
#
# 2x (0) Shadowstep
# 2x (1) Cold Blood
# 2x (1) Fire Fly
# 1x (1) Patches the Pirate
# 2x (1) Southsea Deckhand
# 2x (1) Swashburglar
# 1x (2) Prince Keleseth
# 1x (3) Edwin VanCleef
# 1x (3) Plague Scientist
# 2x (3) Shadowblade
# 1x (3) Shaku, the Collector
# 2x (3) Southsea Captain
# 2x (4) Naga Corsair
# 2x (4) Saronite Chain Gang
# 2x (5) Cobalt Scalebane
# 1x (5) Leeroy Jenkins
# 2x (5) Vilespine Slayer
# 2x (7) Bonemare
#
AAECAaIHBrICrwSRvALJvwKU0AKc4gIMjALtAqgF1AWStgK5vwKBwgLrwgKbywLKywKmzgKa4gIA
#

Saronite chain gang and cobalt scalebane are too underrated cards in this meta imo.

funny how the princes turned out already crafted prince 4 and prob gonna craft Keleseth.

What should I run instead of shaku, don't have that one?

Perhaps si7 agent or another plague scientist. I can't think of any list that isn't running shaku though it isn't essential.

If you run into priests and beat them, let me know how. I am on a ~10 match losing streak. The cobalt scalebanes were supposed to help the match up but they just always anduin if not DFP lol. According to the guy who runs VS it's not that slanted for priests, which I said I don't believe him lol. He said that hydras are good in the match up though. So maybe try them instead of scalebanes if you run into priests.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
yeah determining how powerful a creature is can be pretty tough in magic due to obvious limitations and incredibly complicated boardstates.
that's an option having the effect show up when you hover a card like any other is dumb as that tells you silencing it should work.

Plus attack/toughness in magic is just small numbers in the corner of the card. I played the prerelease today and was constantly asking "What's the stats on that? What does that do?"

I had a creature with Life Link (Life Steal) and a creature that said that nobody could heal on the board at the same time and that even managed to mess with the head of my opponent who clearly knew all the cards in the set before showing up.

It was kind of funny reading the comments on the MTG Arena announcement. In Magic you "tap" a card to show a card you've used it by tilting it 90 degrees. That's necessary in a physical card game but you know you play Hearthstone and you just don't see the green highlight stuff anymore. Meanwhile for MTG Arena they show the tap symbol (a curved arrow) and kind of darken the card. I saw comments flipping out that cards weren't being tilted 90 degrees or that the text boxes for the card rules were getting cut off.

That wasn't really meant to be mean-spirited towards Magic players. Just kind of saying that in both games sometimes you just have to be clear what stuff does so there's no ambiguity, and people kind of just get used to the signals you use.

Plus attack/toughness in magic is just small numbers in the corner of the card. I played the prerelease today and was constantly asking "What's the stats on that? What does that do?"

I had a creature with Life Link (Life Steal) and a creature that said that nobody could heal on the board at the same time and that even managed to mess with the head of my opponent who clearly knew all the cards in the set before showing up.

It was kind of funny reading the comments on the MTG Arena announcement. In Magic you "tap" a card to show a card you've used it by tilting it 90 degrees. That's necessary in a physical card game but you know you play Hearthstone and you just don't see the green highlight stuff anymore. Meanwhile for MTG Arena they show the tap symbol (a curved arrow) and kind of darken the card. I saw comments flipping out that cards weren't being tilted 90 degrees or that the text boxes for the card rules were getting cut off.

That wasn't really meant to be mean-spirited towards Magic players. Just kind of saying that in both games sometimes you just have to be clear what stuff does so there's no ambiguity, and people kind of just get used to the signals you use.
IIRC there's a rule that basically says no trumps yes.

Layers are even worse they are the order in which effects apply. For instance one of these layers is switching power toughness a la Crazed Alchemist only that in MTG it's the last layer applied meaning that even after you switch any buffs you're applying will also be switched. As such +2/+0 becomes +0/+2 whether you want to or not.
Layers are the worst.

And yeah Hearthstone takes full advantage of being digital only while Arena will be held back for it. Though not fully they are already pioneering a pretty massive rules chane on arena that's going to be applied to paper magic retroactively.

Hycran

Banned
I've been fucking struggling this month but I finally got my warlock up to 500 wins. That makes 7 golden classes, not bad. I crafted Machine Gun priest to get to rank 5 but i've been playing mill rogue which is a lot of fun. The Keleseth rogue looks like a blast and i always get blown out by it, but I don't have Leeroy or Van Cleef or Shaku so i'm pretty sure I can't make a good enough substitute for that deck. Guess I'll stick to mill for now :(

Just found out that Flare doesn't break Mana Bind, as it still gets copied by the secret. Trying to remember, Counter Spell also blocks Flare, right? So much for the classic secret counter.

How do you feel about Nerubian Unraveler in a list like this, and do you think there's even room for it?

Also curious how you feel about Shadowcaster as well.

I tested some with shadow casterand it seemed decent. I think it's good. I ended up going cobalt scalebane because of the amount of pressure that card builds up and fast.

Unraveler might be 1 mana too expensive although maybe it's worth trying.

hollomat

Banned
Dead Man's Hand Warrior is pretty intense. Too much for me.

I've been playing since open beta and this is by far the most hate I've ever had for a deck. Anytime I run into someone running this deck I just concede immediately because of how much hate I have for playing a game against them.

I enjoy control, but not taking a game to the max turn limit.

On another note, my favorite mode is arena and its never been worse since open beta. The new cards from this expansion have just made it terrible. It's no longer about skill, but whoever got lucky and has more bonemares, cobalt scalebanes, or deathspeakers in their deck or who managed to get a deathknight (especially jaina). I can't believe blizzard made those three cards common. This combined with the stupid synergy cards have just made it so unfun. Ironically I'm doing better than ever in arena, but anytime I win or lose I don't feel like it was because I played better or because I was outplayed, but rather I just got more of the cards above or my opponent had more of them.

As someone who's favorite modes are wild and arena, its clear blizzard doesn't give a shit about either.

scarlet

Perhaps si7 agent or another plague scientist. I can't think of any list that isn't running shaku though it isn't essential.

If you run into priests and beat them, let me know how. I am on a ~10 match losing streak. The cobalt scalebanes were supposed to help the match up but they just always anduin if not DFP lol. According to the guy who runs VS it's not that slanted for priests, which I said I don't believe him lol. He said that hydras are good in the match up though. So maybe try them instead of scalebanes if you run into priests.

I'm still 3-0 against this, 1 was really close with 2 hydra

I'm not sure how things are in Standard, but in Wild, at least temporarily, there's a LOT more aggro variation. Just tonight I saw:
Face Hunter
Aggro Shaman
Aggro Rogue
Pirate Warrior

The FWA nerf has brought out a ton of variety, and I'm loving losing to all of them. I'm sure it will all go away once the top win % deck is figured out in a week, but it's a nice breather.

I've been playing since open beta and this is by far the most hate I've ever had for a deck. Anytime I run into someone running this deck I just concede immediately because of how much hate I have for playing a game against them.

I enjoy control, but not taking a game to the max turn limit.

On another note, my favorite mode is arena and its never been worse since open beta. The new cards from this expansion have just made it terrible. It's no longer about skill, but whoever got lucky and has more bonemares, cobalt scalebanes, or deathspeakers in their deck or who managed to get a deathknight (especially jaina). I can't believe blizzard made those three cards common. This combined with the stupid synergy cards have just made it so unfun. Ironically I'm doing better than ever in arena, but anytime I win or lose I don't feel like it was because I played better or because I was outplayed, but rather I just got more of the cards above or my opponent had more of them.

As someone who's favorite modes are wild and arena, its clear blizzard doesn't give a shit about either.
I think they are reverting some of the Arena synergy changes soon (or did they already?). I agree that they need to think about card rarity and how it impacts Arena, though. Bonemare is better than Dr. Boom in most situations.

Also, agreed about Wild. WTF @ that Naga change???

hollomat

Banned
They are reverting the synergy changes but who knows when it will come. I just can't believe they were ever implemented in the first place. In 9 times out of 10, I'm offered a servant of kalimos in at least one of my two opening choices. They announced the last round of card changes over a week before they changed them (why not just have it a day or two after?).

Yeah the Naga change is awful. As blizzard has said, the deck might not have the highest winrate, but losing to it just feels awful. I have no problem losing games where my opponent made great choices or played skillfully, but I hate losing on turn 5 because they drew naga and the right giants in their opening hand. The nerfs to pirate warrior and druid really screwed over wild too. Every deck I face now is either Big Priest or a naga deck.

It's just so frustrating because I absolutely love this game and it's probably my favorite game of all time. I just don't understand the design choices this expansion. Every single thing introduced seems to only frustrate players.

I don't mind losing (most of the time), but I get worked up way more when people make awful plays. I was playing against a Shaman who used Transmute Spirit and turned his Al'Akir into a Hardnox. This is also after playing a ton of taunts through Stonehill and Thing from Below. It was at 1 health and I couldn't play anything.

Then he used Transmute Spirit and turned into an Ultrasaur. Won it after a couple of turns after that but I would of started milling cards if it left it on the board.

They are reverting the synergy changes but who knows when it will come. I just can't believe they were ever implemented in the first place. In 9 times out of 10, I'm offered a servant of kalimos in at least one of my two opening choices. They announced the last round of card changes over a week before they changed them (why not just have it a day or two after?).

Yeah the Naga change is awful. As blizzard has said, the deck might not have the highest winrate, but losing to it just feels awful. I have no problem losing games where my opponent made great choices or played skillfully, but I hate losing on turn 5 because they drew naga and the right giants in their opening hand. The nerfs to pirate warrior and druid really screwed over wild too. Every deck I face now is either Big Priest or a naga deck.

It's just so frustrating because I absolutely love this game and it's probably my favorite game of all time. I just don't understand the design choices this expansion. Every single thing introduced seems to only frustrate players.
What rank are you in Wild? I haven't seen a Big Priest or Naga in a few days, but I'm at rank 5. Maybe people are just chilling and doing quests like I am unless they want to make the climb.

I don't mind losing (most of the time), but I get worked up way more when people make awful plays. I was playing against a Shaman who used Transmute Spirit and turned his Al'Akir into a Hardnox. This is also after playing a ton of taunts through Stonehill and Thing from Below. It was at 1 health and I couldn't play anything.

Then he used Transmute Spirit and turned into an Ultrasaur. Won it after a couple of turns after that but I would of started milling cards if it left it on the board.

LOL, I can't imagine getting upset by my opponent being bad.

I only get irritated these days when I hard mulligan for a card and never see it several games in a row. -_-

hollomat

Banned
What rank are you in Wild? I haven't seen a Big Priest or Naga in a few days, but I'm at rank 5. Maybe people are just chilling and doing quests like I am unless they want to make the climb.

Rank 15. I used to go hard for Rank 5 every month, but after I got 3 gold epics from the basic set in a row, I gave up. I wish the monthly card rewards and arena rewards were weighted towards the current expansion like the arena cards are.

I spend the majority of my time in arena just because I hate running into the same decks over and over in constructed. It's not fun when I know by turn 1 if I'm going to win or lose based on which deck I have and which deck my opponent has. I love the unpredictability of arena. My favorite run ever was a run a few years ago where I drafted 8 swipes. By the 3rd or 4th swipes my opponent would be sure I'd be out of swipes, but nope.

I can't imagine playing this game as a new player. I've played since open beta, am sitting on 5500 gold and 40k dust and I still find it hard to complete quests when the quests are for wins for a class I haven't built a new tier one deck for.

Rank 15. I used to go hard for Rank 5 every month, but after I got 3 gold epics from the basic set in a row, I gave up. I wish the monthly card rewards and arena rewards were weighted towards the current expansion like the arena cards are.

I spend the majority of my time in arena just because I hate running into the same decks over and over in constructed. It's not fun when I know by turn 1 if I'm going to win or lose based on which deck I have and which deck my opponent has. I love the unpredictability of arena. My favorite run ever was a run a few years ago where I drafted 8 swipes. By the 3rd or 4th swipes my opponent would be sure I'd be out of swipes, but nope.

I can't imagine playing this game as a new player. I've played since open beta, am sitting on 5500 gold and 40k dust and I still find it hard to complete quests when the quests are for wins for a class I haven't built a new tier one deck for.
400 dust is too good to give up!

I used to play a lot of Arena, but the prevalence of draft RNG is too much for me to enjoy, and the fact that legendaries are significantly better than non-legendaries on average meant that getting a Tirion or something similar in your draft often led you to auto-win matches. I don't find that very enjoyable. Duelyst's Arena system used to be amazing back in the game's peak. I could draft pretty much anything and get 10-12 wins because everything was about decision-making during the match.

Playing Hearthstone as a newbie would be torture.

I tested some with shadow casterand it seemed decent. I think it's good. I ended up going cobalt scalebane because of the amount of pressure that card builds up and fast.

Unraveler might be 1 mana too expensive although maybe it's worth trying.

Tried your list as is and it's working pretty damn well so I'm not touching it yet.

I guess one of the really nice things about this deck though is that it's very adaptable. Seems like it should be really strong until the rotation.

scarlet

So far 4-1 against rogue. Lost to 2 hydras

Still 100% against jade druid

I make no progress in this play 8 mana cards quest

edit: 5-1 into rank 2, with my opponent shadowstepped keleseth

It's a Hardnox life for us.

Nordicus

So, took a week+ break from this game...

...and where did all the Jade Druids go? Was the nerf that intense?
I imagine part of it is meta overcorrection after balance patch, which tends to happen in competitive online games from my experience.

scarlet

5JCVESt.jpg

Opened 9 packs, and I got exactly what I want.

Edit: also my 1st mage Legendary

rahji

damn, I gave away 2 games from my rogue arena with stupid disconnects. better check my internet connection first next time. Now I have to win 7 games and play 50 rogue cards without losing. It will be hard, but I have prince keleseth and edwin in my deck.

rahji

I just stole jaina dk in arena as rogue with swashburgler and discounted it with ethereal peddler. It was fun! Also I had a 8/8 Edwin VanCleef in this game.

edit: and lost the next game to a arfus -> army of the dead -> perfect result with 5 minions with no battle cry (sorcerer's apprentice, tar creeper, arcane anomaly, daring reporter and stubborn gastropod) and cabalist's tome into pyroblast for lethal. RNG as I like it.

And I wanted to complete this stupid rogue quest!

edit2: this is getting ridiculous. 7 mages in a row in arena. what is this today?

Aylinato

I stole a Druid dk from a Druid as a rogue and proceeded to beat the poor sap with his own card and made them mill a auctioneer as they were jade as was I.

Tunoku

I got 700 Gold laying around in Hearthstone. From a value standpoint, is it worth it to spend it on a wing of Karazhan? It looks like if I own the Parlor, the rest of the Adventure is 15 instead of 20.

wiibomb

I got 700 Gold laying around in Hearthstone. From a value standpoint, is it worth it to spend it on a wing of Karazhan? It looks like if I own the Parlor, the rest of the Adventure is 15 instead of 20.

for any adventure I would always suggest money, because the value you get from spending $25 is insane. 700 for a single wing on the other hand looks for me better to be spent on packs.

back when adventures were a thing in HS I always suggested people to try and buy the adventures with money and buy packs as much as possible with gold

royalan

Actually was wondering this.

Haven't bought Karazhan. Do you get anything worthwhile from it?

wiibomb

Actually was wondering this.

Haven't bought Karazhan. Do you get anything worthwhile from it?

there are several cards still run today that are good.

Kindly grandmother is run in every single hunter deck. Curator, medivh and barnes are run in some decks and have been on and off since they came out, other cards are good, but they look to be better for wild decks like netherspite historian or book wyrm.

to add more: these cards a constantly played...

mage: babbling book, firelands portal, medivh's valet (not in all decks)

priest: Priest of the feast (a lot of times, but not in all decks)

rogue: swashburglar

shaman: maelstrom portal

Peléo

Surprised about the Hunter DK. I've always thought you only picked the zombeast from friendly beasts that died in the game, which is why people were running Bearshark and Stonedusk Boar.

Guess I haven't seen much of it in action.

there are several cards still run today that are good.

Kindly grandmother is run in every single hunter deck. Curator, medivh and barnes are run in some decks and have been on and off since they came out, other cards are good, but they look to be better for wild decks like netherspite historian or book wyrm.

to add more: these cards a constantly played...

mage: babbling book, firelands portal, medivh's valet (not in all decks)

priest: Priest of the feast (a lot of times, but not in all decks)

rogue: swashburglar

shaman: maelstrom portal

Firelands is free from prologue :D

Top Bottom