• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid can't crawl, but Pauly can beat Super Metroid!

Pauly, the player who first appeared in the Super Metroid OT (courtesy of mullet2000), then became notorious thanks to Wario64's "y cant metroid crawl" thread, has conquered his confusion and finally beaten Super Metroid on the Wii U VC.

Pauly, we salute you, and to celebrate here's your SM story in Miiverse snapshots...

Metroid1.jpg

Metroid2.jpg

Metroid3.jpg

Metroid4.jpg

Metroid5.jpg

Metroid6.jpg

Metroid7.jpg

Metroid8.jpg

Metroid9.jpg

Metroid10.jpg

Metroid11.jpg

Metroid12.jpg

Metroid13.jpg

Metroid14.jpg

Metroid15.jpg

Metroid16.jpg

Metroid17.jpg

Metroid18.jpg

Metroid19.jpg

NIN90

I doubt someone as inept at the game as him could beat the game in 8 hours. So it's probably a joke character.
But how would I know. Never got past the first 30 minutes myself because I get always bored.

Eusis

Yeah, the "I found samus" gave it away. Boo this man.
If you had a sense of humor you WOULD respond like that after getting that much attention for such a mistake.

If it was for real then this shows Miiverse really CAN help people get through a game they would've otherwise stayed stuck in. If he's just messing with us (given that complete time he really must've been a newbie at the least) then at least it was an entertaining show.
I doubt someone as inept at the game as him could beat the game in 8 hours. So it's probably a joke character.
But how would I know. Never got past the first 30 minutes myself because I get always bored.
8 hours is really long for Super Metroid, you get the "worst" ending if you take over 5 as I recall (though that's just fully suited Samus in the ending versus bikini suit/visor off, so it's not a big deal.)

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Though it was a joke account, it was still very funny. The entire Super Metroid community has silly/stupid posts like Pauly's, this one is my favourite yet.
BLEHzz6CAAANYHA.jpg

Even if this guy is trolling, it's absolutely hilarious.

Yup :)

If you had a sense of humor you WOULD respond like that after getting that much attention for such a mistake.

If it was for real then this shows Miiverse really CAN help people get through a game they would've otherwise stayed stuck in. If he's just messing with us (given that complete time he really must've been a newbie at the least) then at least it was an entertaining show.

Bingo. If he was taking the mick - and his other posts on other communities suggest he might not have been - then it was funny, and if it was genuine it was funny *and* sweet that he made it through in the end.

Jobbs

Banned
looks like pauly became self aware at some point (or perhaps these posts were jokes to begin with).

nevertheless, congratulations, I'm always happy to see someone new play through SM.

Pineconn

I beat it for the first time today, also. Pauly was faster by over an hour. :(

Oh well, I had a high completion rate, lol.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I suspect he became a bit more aware and started playing up to it when his "y cant metroid crawl" post got hundreds of yeahs and comments :)

Yeah I think it is him joking along with it :) . Assuming that it is genuine, it is really good to see Miiverse assisting people enjoy games that they might otherwise have given up on.

So Miiverse suddenly became awesome for the wrong reasons?

It's pretty awesome for the right reasons too. I was playing Kirby's Dreamland 3 on VC. I decided to check out the Miiverse, and got lost in the community for a couple hours.

I had a reply volley with another player and then looked at all the cool drawings. And some people made some funny game-specific jokes.

I'm looking forward to if it's integrated even more into a game like Pikmin.

Eusis

Though it was a joke account, it was still very funny. The entire Super Metroid community has silly/stupid posts like Pauly's, this one is my favourite yet.
BLEHzz6CAAANYHA.jpg
It's hard to resist, the game does give a few opportunities to be goofy and play dumb.

Though I had one instance where I did something by accident and legitimately was surprised.

Eusis

is this game available on gamecube or wii? i dont have a wii u >.<
GC? Nope! Can't imagine wanting to play with a GC controller anyway, if you were hoping for that just give up.

Wii? Yeah, full price. Classic Controller is preferred.

Mista Koo

A few of those make it look like a joke account.
Didn't people say that you used the morphball before that place in the "y cant metroid crawl" screen?

GC? Nope! Can't imagine wanting to play with a GC controller anyway, if you were hoping for that just give up.

Wii? Yeah, full price. Classic Controller is preferred.
It was my first VC game and I tried playing it with the GC controller.

A few days later I bought a Classic Controller.

R0nn

This is both funny and heartwarming at the same time. Respect to Pauly for sticking with it to the end. He might go some ways in the future.

Eusis

It was my first VC game and I tried playing it with the GC controller.

A few days later I bought a Classic Controller.
Even Sim City wasn't really pleasant with the GC pad, and that's a game that doesn't depend on reflexes or anything!

I guess the FF games would've been fine, but it really highlights that the GC controller's only good if a game's designed around it, or with it in mind anyway.

Pauly found a GameFAQs walk through after initially getting stuck and then proceeded to follow it until the end. Congratulations, sir!

Eusis

would a ten year old know who jabba the hutt is?
I was wondering about the Super Saiyan bit more, but then I remembered Dragon Ball Kai IS running.

And man, I don't think I'd underestimate how young you can get into Star Wars. Most of us probably saw that in re-runs or whatever when we were toddlers if we were born after the movies. Makes me kinda wish we had a reaction for when he rose from the ground though.

Top Bottom