• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

giga

Emilia Clarke isn't that great of an actress. Everything sounds so forced. WHERE ARE MY DRAAAGOOONS!?!?!

Ugh.

Otherwise, thoroughly enjoyed the Tywin/Arya and Ygritte/Jon scenes.

Famassu

I can't honestly imagine anyone enjoying Dany who's read the books. She's such a child.

The only good targ is a dead targ, in the sense that Rhaegar is dead :(
I don't see what's to not enjoy. She has some weak chapters, but that goes with EVERY character in the series, even Tyrion & Arya. The first book shows a great change from a timid little girl into a more confident, not-in-his-brother's-shadow Khaleesi. And the point of all of it is [series]
to show how she's growing into a good Queen through all the hardships she has to endure and survive. First she loses Drogo & the Khalasar, then she's wandering aimlessly through the Red Waste. She happens to find a city where there ARE possibilities for her to do what she's aiming to do, but at what cost? She doesn't have anything else but her dragons and she won't give those up.

After she orders one of her dragons to burn one of the most influential men in the city after going through an acid trip, she decides to leave and pave her own way (though not until after there's an assassination attempt on her) and through some great decisions & use of her dragons she's in the possession of what is probably the deadliest army in the world and goes ahead to fuck up 2-3 cities. She understands she knows nothing about actually ruling a city, so she decides to stay and try to fix one of the cities she conquered. Of course, her enemies are numerous, at that point, and are experienced at working in the shadows, so while Dany tries to go about solving things peacefully, they go on spoiling everything she tries to do and in the end they are at war with her. She tries to do everything she can to stop it without sacrificing her beliefs (i.e. she hates slavery and wants to demolish it from the world), but in the end she has to succumb to a marriage she is suggested into by her advisors. Then, one of her now-more-grown dragons fucks up a great wedding party/gladiator battle and in the chaos she says to hell it all and flies away.

Seriously, there are plenty of bad-ass moments in Dany's story throughout the story. She has some character-flaws, but they are no worse than Tyrion's (if Dany lusting over Daario is so horrible that you hate her, why don't you hate Tyrion as much because of Shae?) So she happens to be a young girl who has some needs, get the fuck over it. She's not the only character in the series to be that way. Her indecision and uncertainty in ACOK make all the cool-ass moments in ASOS so much better.

I don't think my liquid store has enough booze for this.

I can't take any of these seriously if they don't feature Littlefinger asking about Varys' balls. It's just lazy, lowest hanging fruit Games Of Thrones jokes when the funniest shit you actually have to, you know, pay attention. Literally every conversation those two have LF is like "Tell me, Varys. Your balls..."

But oh ha ha drinking and fucking! Way funnier!

RIoT2.gif

That scene was hilarious.

BeeDog

Great episode this week, but the direction of the episode was way off. Several scenes looked cheap as hell, especially the riot/almost-rape scenes. Very poorly shot and edited.

3N16MA

Banned
Here we go again:

- Casting Season Three: Ramsay Snow

Please spoiler tag any discussion of the books past where we are right now. Thanks.

[Series]
I can't wait to see the Theon/Reek story played out on screen. Ramsay is such an evil bastard and it will be interesting to see if those who have not read the books gain any sympathy for Theon/Reek after they see what was done to him. Of course that will not happen for awhile.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Here we go again:

Please spoiler tag any discussion of the books past where we are right now. Thanks.

series
Don't have strong feelings about any of those actors though I'm sure any would be fine. Really to me it's much more important that the actor can convey the absolute cold sociopathic nature of this character than what he looks like. Obviously both would be preferable I'm sure.

marrec

Banned
series
Don't have strong feelings about any of those actors though I'm sure any would be fine. Really to me it's much more important that the actor can convey the absolute cold sociopathic nature of this character than what he looks like. Obviously both would be preferable I'm sure.

Series:
Iwan Rheon would be perfect casting for you then, the way he plays in Misfits is completely detached and cold. Thought not menacing... the role doesn't allow for it. I would love to see him get all sociopathic as Ramsey.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I can't take any of these seriously if they don't feature Littlefinger asking about Varys' balls. It's just lazy, lowest hanging fruit Games Of Thrones jokes when the funniest shit you actually have to, you know, pay attention. Literally every conversation those two have LF is like "Tell me, Varys. Your balls..."

But oh ha ha drinking and fucking! Way funnier!

Im pretty sure most people would die of acute alcohol poisoning in less than 30 minutes of any given episode

bengraven

That scene was so cute I had a huge smile on my face. I need to find a wildling of my own :(

She did a good job of portraying the maturity and survival instinct of Ygritte and added a bit of flirtiness, which is fine.

Can't wait until people start asking Jon if he
stole
her.

OldRosa

Banned
It took me a couple of episodes to warm up to GoT, but it's becoming a bit of an obsession at this point. What a great last episode from beginning to end.

fallout

No mention about how awesomely effective Cleagane was?
It did make me think about how people are all hot and bothered by the sex stuff, but don't seem to care about the gratuitous violence. Not that I mind gratuitous violence ... it's just weird to me that one is such a target while the other isn't.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Anyone on central time know when hbo airs stuff...it an hour earlier? I'm in TX for business and wondering when I can catch a rerun. I think that's "10:00" by hbo website guide...so 9:00 for TX HBO? I've always lived on east coast where tv times are as-advertised.

Snake

So the rumor is that Larry Williams of OtakuASSEMBLE isn't doing GoT reviews anymore after his 8-minute-long rant against Sansa brought a torrent of internet anger upon him. Nothing official, but sad if true (though deserved, it was an epically dumb rant).

Or maybe he's just busy this week, who knows!

So the rumor is that Larry Williams of OtakuASSEMBLE isn't doing GoT reviews anymore after his 8-minute-long rant against Sansa brought a torrent of internet anger upon him. Nothing official, but sad if true (though deserved, it was an epically dumb rant).

I can't stand Sansa but must admit his rant made little sense in some ways. What is she supposed to do in her situation? OVERALL though I enjoyed the rant lol, screw her

I'd imagine people filled his message box with even more spoilers.

He has a ton of comments on his facebook page from people wondering if he's dead or something. I don't know, it could just be finals week for him, he might just be really busy

ScreenCruch just posted the season finale's synopsis:

Episode #20: “Valar Morghulis”

Tyrion awakens to a changed situation. King Joffrey doles out rewards to his subjects. As Theon stirs his men to action, Luwin offers some final advice. Brienne silences Jaime; Arya receives a gift from Jaqen; Dany goes to a strange place; Jon proves himself to Qhorin. (Written by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss; directed by Alan Taylor.)

Paches

Tyrion awakens to a changed situation. King Joffrey doles out rewards to his subjects. As Theon stirs his men to action, Luwin offers some final advice. Brienne silences Jaime; Arya receives a gift from Jaqen; Dany goes to a strange place; Jon proves himself to Qhorin. (Written by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss; directed by Alan Taylor.)

COK spoilers
Man, with this side shoot story with Ygritte now I was scared they weren't gonna put in Jon vs Qhorin. At least I assume that is what it is talking about. Such an epic moment.

Well, he hasn't posted any video, updated his Facebook, or tweeted in several days so I imagine it isn't him rage quitting since he does a lot of other reviews I think.

COK
I'm going to be sad when Maester Luwin dies. He's so awesome in the TV series.

Anyone else bothered by the wildling costumes? They look like spray painted parkas bought at a local sporting goods store.

Yeah, looks like GI Joe Winter Gear (tm).

Tess3ract

Banned
I don't see what's to not enjoy. She has some weak chapters, but that goes with EVERY character in the series, even Tyrion & Arya. The first book shows a great change from a timid little girl into a more confident, not-in-his-brother's-shadow Khaleesi. And the point of all of it is [series]
to show how she's growing into a good Queen through all the hardships she has to endure and survive. First she loses Drogo & the Khalasar, then she's wandering aimlessly through the Red Waste. She happens to find a city where there ARE possibilities for her to do what she's aiming to do, but at what cost? She doesn't have anything else but her dragons and she won't give those up.

After she orders one of her dragons to burn one of the most influential men in the city after going through an acid trip, she decides to leave and pave her own way (though not until after there's an assassination attempt on her) and through some great decisions & use of her dragons she's in the possession of what is probably the deadliest army in the world and goes ahead to fuck up 2-3 cities. She understands she knows nothing about actually ruling a city, so she decides to stay and try to fix one of the cities she conquered. Of course, her enemies are numerous, at that point, and are experienced at working in the shadows, so while Dany tries to go about solving things peacefully, they go on spoiling everything she tries to do and in the end they are at war with her. She tries to do everything she can to stop it without sacrificing her beliefs (i.e. she hates slavery and wants to demolish it from the world), but in the end she has to succumb to a marriage she is suggested into by her advisors. Then, one of her now-more-grown dragons fucks up a great wedding party/gladiator battle and in the chaos she says to hell it all and flies away.

Seriously, there are plenty of bad-ass moments in Dany's story throughout the story. She has some character-flaws, but they are no worse than Tyrion's (if Dany lusting over Daario is so horrible that you hate her, why don't you hate Tyrion as much because of Shae?) So she happens to be a young girl who has some needs, get the fuck over it. She's not the only character in the series to be that way. Her indecision and uncertainty in ACOK make all the cool-ass moments in ASOS so much better.

series
I hate tyrion too in ADWD, actually. Where do whores go? and all that crap was just frustrating.
Here we go again:

WTF none of those would make a good reek, Especially not Sheehan or Rheon. Cillian would be a bit weird

I always imagined reek with a shaved head and ugly.

Socreges

Banned

What did he say?

Kuroyume

Banned
It's going to be interesting what they do with Ramsay from this point forward considering
Theon/Reek and that storyline doesn't reappear until ADWD. The timeline of this stuff may be shifted and possibly screwed up. You have the events of ASOS taking place but then this ADWD stuff in there?
I guess it could still work out though considering how compacted the storylines get on the show. I suppose they wouldn't have to show everything.

It's going to be interesting what they do with Ramsay from this point forward considering
Theon/Reek and that storyline doesn't reappear until ADWD. The timeline of this stuff may be shifted and possibly screwed up. You have the events of ASOS taking place but then this ADWD stuff in there?
I guess it could still work out though considering how compacted the storylines get on the show. I suppose they wouldn't have to show everything.

They'll show it next season, AFFC/ADWD won't exist in the show, the events that take place there are going to be cut out and restructured.

COK
So the Bolton host takes Winterfell in the last episode, and we'll see Ramsay in his armor and no face. That's what I take from this, since Luwin is obviously telling Theon to take the black. We'll see Theon ALMOST do it them BOOM Bolton host through the gates.

Zabojnik

Anyone else bothered by the wildling costumes? They look like spray painted parkas bought at a local sporting goods store.

Haha, it's exactly what I though when saw the wildlings. I don't remember how they were described in the books, but I imagined worn, ragged hides or something like that. Oh well.

What did he say?

He ranted a little bit about Sansa in his episode 4 review talking about how he grew up with a lot of sisters, and how his dad never had sympathy for his sisters complaining about stuff, and that his dad would just tell his sisters to stop whining and do something about it, and that he thinks Sansa should just be proactive and do something about her situation instead of just doing nothing

Then people started sending him "hate mail" (his words), calling him a misogynist and so forth, and he decided to do a full-on rant about Sansa in the beginning of his ep. 5 review:

http://youtu.be/Nqgsp6UoMl0

Then after that he got even more hate. He claimed people were accusing him of "being sexist, homophobic, & now a Nazi" in the WiC thread for the episode. Basically no one ever called him a nazi, he misunderstood the entire discussion and it was pretty funny

COK spoilers
Man, with this side shoot story with Ygritte now I was scared they weren't gonna put in Jon vs Qhorin. At least I assume that is what it is talking about. Such an epic moment.

Maybe ACOK
When Jon wakes up, maybe she'll have escaped when he was sleeping.

jett

D-Member
He ranted a little bit about Sansa in his episode 4 review talking about how he grew up with a lot of sisters, and how his dad never had sympathy for his sisters complaining about stuff, and that his dad would just tell his sisters to stop whining and do something about it, and that he thinks Sansa should just be proactive and do something about her situation instead of just doing nothing

Then people started sending him "hate mail" (his words), calling him a misogynist and so forth, and he decided to do a full-on rant about Sansa in the beginning of his ep. 5 review:

http://youtu.be/Nqgsp6UoMl0

Then after that he got even more hate. He claimed people were accusing him of "being sexist, homophobic, & now a Nazi" in the WiC comments thread for the episode. Basically no one ever called him a nazi, he misunderstood the entire discussion and it was pretty funny

http://winteriscoming.net/2012/04/recap-round-up-the-ghost-of-harrenhal/#comments

I'm listening to his rant right now, this guy really is kind of a dumbass.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone on central time know when hbo airs stuff...it an hour earlier? I'm in TX for business and wondering when I can catch a rerun. I think that's "10:00" by hbo website guide...so 9:00 for TX HBO? I've always lived on east coast where tv times are as-advertised.

I live in Dallas and it's 8 pm.

LuchaShaq

Banned
[series]

My spoiler text is about your spoiler text.

Tyrion has little options, he has whores, the raped girl who has much for brains, or a terrified super young sansa.

Dany on the other hand has an unending supply of options. Dario is a pretty/pretty creepy dude who has a handful of sellswords. Jorah (love? and possibly a way to woo the north), Xaro (money), The Dornish prince (the truly best option war wise). Instead she wastes her marriage on a mereenese fool and fucks Darrio on the side? Basically the literal worst choices.

Baby Milo

this better not be true

bengraven

I love how Larry tries to come off as tough occasionally (see: his rant against Sansa lovers, see: Ned's death), but in the end he's still the host of the nerdiest fucking webcast on the planet and every time I hear him call out "Otaaaakuuuu Asssemboooole...weekly" I grimace.

I did like his like naive insights into the plot, though, and they were always entertaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom