• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In-depth review of the Samsung KS 8000

Rbk_3

Nah KS7000 packs unbeatable value among KS series

From what I know 8000 is mostly - better case, better speakers, second tuner and minimally better back light for substantial increase in price.

If you want noticeable step up in Image quality it would need to be 9500 with FALD.

I'm super happy with my 7000

The 7000 doesn't get near bright enough for HDR.

Rtings
"The Samsung KS8000 is a superior TV especially for watching movies and with HDR content. It fits the living room better too since it can get a lot brighter. The KS8000 is pricier but is the TV to get for anyone looking at an upgrade over the KU7000."

Peak Brightness is no contest. It is literally 10x brighter on 2% highlights and 7x brighter on 10%.

KS7000
Peak 2% Window : 136 cd/m2
Peak 10% Window : 240 cd/m2
Peak 25% Window : 300 cd/m2
Peak 50% Window : 300 cd/m2
Peak 100% Window : 398 cd/m2

Ks8000
Peak 2% Window : 1472 cd/m2
Peak 10% Window : 1431 cd/m2
Peak 25% Window : 964 cd/m2
Peak 50% Window : 513 cd/m2
Peak 100% Window : 509 cd/m2

EDIT:

I just realized you're probably talking about the European KS7000. Samsung and their stupid naming in different territories....

I've been through 2 60" KS8000s. The store I got it from got a shipment of 4 directly from Samsung last week.

First one had a row of 3 pixels in the top left corner which were darker than the rest-- I think there was a dead subpixel in each of them but not sure. Admittedly it took me a few days to notice, but I can spot it from my normal sitting distance as long as that area of the screen isn't black. It was a mild annoyance, but I thought a TV that I spent $2500 CDN on (includes 5 year warranty and taxes) shouldn't have these issues. I thought dead pixels were an issue in 2006. Not in 2016.

Second TV came today and had two big purple splotches permanently on the screen. Also in the top left corner.

This is frustrating. Third one coming tomorrow.

My fear after getting the first TV with the flaw was that these TV's must be recycled from returns and Samsung is just hoping they can sell them without having the issues noticed. The fact that the second TV was even worse than the first one kind of confirms my fear. But I'm going to give it one more shot tomorrow. If its also bad... I'll return it and then... I have no fricken clue. I already got an Xbox One S and sold my PS4 to make room for the PS4 Pro.

jeffc919

I've been through 2 60" KS8000s. The store I got it from got a shipment of 4 directly from Samsung last week.

First one had a row of 3 pixels in the top left corner which were darker than the rest-- I think there was a dead subpixel in each of them but not sure. Admittedly it took me a few days to notice, but I can spot it from my normal sitting distance as long as that area of the screen isn't black. It was a mild annoyance, but I thought a TV that I spent $2500 CDN on (includes 5 year warranty and taxes) shouldn't have these issues. I thought dead pixels were an issue in 2006. Not in 2016.

Second TV came today and had two big purple splotches permanently on the screen. Also in the top left corner.

My fear after getting the first TV with the flaw was that these TV's must be recycled from returns and Samsung is just hoping they can sell them without having the issues noticed. The fact that the second TV was even worse than the first one kind of confirms my fear. But I'm going to give it one more shot tomorrow. If its also bad... I'll return it and then... I have no fricken clue. I already got an Xbox One S and sold my PS4 to make room for the PS4 Pro.

My 65" showed up with a shattered screen. Replacement is back ordered with an estimate of 10/18 to ship. I upgraded to white glove shipping this time. I'm not taking delivery of the TV if it has an obvious problem. Sending the first one back was kind of a pain in the ass. Hopefully the replacement will be fine. I do wish they would ship them in an outer box with additional foam to protect it. Mine arrived in the Samsung box only.

My 65" showed up with a shattered screen. Replacement is back ordered with an estimate of 10/18 to ship. I upgraded to white glove shipping this time. I'm not taking delivery of the TV if it has an obvious problem. Sending the first one back was kind of a pain in the ass. Hopefully the replacement will be fine. I do wish they would ship them in an outer box with additional foam to protect it. Mine arrived in the Samsung box only.

Hoping the best for you. The worst feeling is being occupied and worried about this stupid expensive TV when I have so many more important things to deal with in my life.

The packaging on this TV does suck even on the insides, makes it easy for one to grab the TV by the screen and damage it. The front of the TV mostly has a cardboard protector going around it... except for the top corners of the screen... aka the place most people are gonna grab the TV by when pulling it out.

Rbk_3

60" also has a worse panel than all the others (Sharp). I just went with the 55" because of this.

Vetro

What is the difference (in europe) between the KS8000 and KS8090? It's the same model right?

Because some distributors sell it as KS8090 here in Germany. Some as KS8000.

Pennywise

What is the difference (in europe) between the KS8000 and KS8090? It's the same model right?

European version often carry a number with the last two digits.
You'll see the difference when you browse amazon uk for example.
Take a look at the KU6000.
The UK version is just called KU6000, while the EU version is called KU6079UXZG.
It is the same model and shouldn't have any major difference.

Vetro

European version often carry a number with the last two digits.
You'll see the difference when you browse amazon uk for example.
Take a look at the KU6000.
The UK version is just called KU6000, while the EU version is called KU6079UXZG.
It is the same model and shouldn't have any major difference.

Thank you very much. This explains no matches searching for KS8000 on the Samsung website.

The KS8090 is the model for the German Market. The KS8000 has some restrictions in the software and might not the as usable to you as the KS8090. It's Samsungs way of stopping cheap EU imports to Germany.

60" also has a worse panel than all the others (Sharp). I just went with the 55" because of this.
I don't think it's a problem with 60" itself as much as it is that the 60" seem to be in more limited quantity than the 65" and 55" and thus Samsung probably has reduced manufacturing for this size and at this point is repackaging returned TV sets (some defective) and reselling them, thus any set coming directly from Samsung now has a higher chance of being crappy. That's my guess anyway.

Bit of a niche question, but this thread has me tempted to pick one of these up purely so I can reap the benefits of HDR content and 4K stuff from consoles and my PC. However...

I'd be potentially going for the 60" KS7000 (UK model), but I'd be getting rid of my current LG 55" EC9300 OLED in order to do so.

I don't suppose anybody has done similar in here? I'm not sure whether the increased resolution, better input lag and HDR are worth getting rid of the ridiculous contrast and richness of the OLED.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I decided to return my 55" and upgrade to the 65" since I was able to get Best Buy to PM the $1600 MicroCenter price. SO, I've been going through and setting all my options up to match what I had on the previous set since I was happy with them and I noticed something surprising.

I understand that HDR content has different picture settings that need to be configured separately from SDR content. However, I wasn't expecting that the HDR mode would have the eco-sensor on by default – I thought that was one of those settings that applied to all modes (like everything else in the "system" menu), but it apparently has different defaults for SDR and HDR.

So, if anyone's been experiencing dim/faded HDR content, check your eco-sensor settings (while you have HDR content playing), as it might be toying with your picture. I saw a difference immediately when I turned it off.

iMax

I decided to return my 55" and upgrade to the 65" since I was able to get Best Buy to PM the $1600 MicroCenter price. SO, I've been going through and setting all my options up to match what I had on the previous set since I was happy with them and I noticed something surprising.

I understand that HDR content has different picture settings that need to be configured separately from SDR content. However, I wasn't expecting that the HDR mode would have the eco-sensor on by default – I thought that was one of those settings that applied to all modes (like everything else in the "system" menu), but it apparently has different defaults for SDR and HDR.

So, if anyone's been experiencing dim/faded HDR content, check your eco-sensor settings (while you have HDR content playing), as it might be toying with your picture. I saw a difference immediately when I turned it off.

Strange, mine doesn't have the eco sensor stuff activated in either mode. I have noticed that when switching to an HDR source, it takes a couple of seconds for the brightness to turn up.

I have the KS8000 (UK), I use the TV with the picture on the movie preset which I then calibrated, is HDR enabled under the movie preset?

I just go this tv in the past couple of weeks and it is great but the light bleed and pillaring is annoying to me. Unfortunate the Vizio doesn't come in a 60" model.

Anyone had a good a to b comparison of the two? May return the KS8000 for the Vizio to see if the flad corrects the bigger standout issues of light bleed and blooming and pillaring.

maximrace

Question on color space: When set to auto it should switch to the native colorspace when playing hdr content right? But it doesn't do this, I need to switch it manually to native to use the wider color gamut. On what mode should I leave it?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I have the KS8000 (UK), I use the TV with the picture on the movie preset which I then calibrated, is HDR enabled under the movie preset?

I believe there's a separate setting in the options to enable HDR color? Also note that it only applies to certain inputs.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Question on color space: When set to auto it should switch to the native colorspace when playing hdr content right? But it doesn't do this, I need to switch it manually to native to use the wider color gamut. On what mode should I leave it?
What firmware are you using? This was initially a bug but was fixed a while back – for HDR content you should always be using Auto.

Cross posting:

Looks like Samsung released new firmware for the KS8000 this morning. Can anybody confirm what they've updated? I can't find anything online.

This is version 1142.

I've had issues with my TV not being routeable to the internet since the previous update, 1141, I'm hoping maybe this is a hot fix.

ACH1LL3US

I'd like to point out that many people in this thread overstate the importance of input lag, especially with 22ms vs 35ms. On paper, it may be 50% lower, but in reality, the screen lag is just a small part of the overall controller input to photon lag in a game. Most games, even 60fps games, have between 90 and 120ms of processing lag, and 30fps games even have 150ms and above. See for yourself: http://www.displaylag.com/video-game-input-lag-database/
Thus, the 13ms advantage goes from close to 50% better to merely 8-10% better. Not worth it compared to the huge advantage of image quality on OLED, in my opinion.

I had the sony 43x800d and now have the samsung 49ks8500.

With my Leo bodnar tester at 1080p, the sony showed 32.8ms and the samsung 23.7ms.

Now noone talks about this but each block, top, middle and bottom have different numbers.

The samsung has a top bar of 22.6ms, middle is 22.7ms and the bottom is 22.8 ms.

The sony has 26ms top, 32ms middle and 39ms bottom.

The samsung scan out the full image much fast then the sony, almost like plasma did where all three bars are the same. This effects how the game feels.

Look at pc monitors, I had a samsung monitor and the top bar had 2.9ms, middle was at 9.2ms and the bottom is 17.2ms.

So the samsung ks8500 is really only 5ms slower then the fastest pc monitors i tested like the asus pg278q.

I do notice on the samsung if you enable uhd color, it show 4:4:4 even in game mode and will display 10 but color but the input lag increases to 35ms on the middle bar, right where the sony is and to me there is a clear feeling difference with lag there. I cant tell a lag difference with the ks8500 outside of uhd color and a pc monitor, its feel the same but looks a 100 times better.

KodaRuss

I have been kicking around the idea ofor getting this TV. I current have a alright Panasonic 55" that needs an upgrade. I have a 40"Sony Bravia that I love and I would get another Sony but it looks like the input lag is just not great on the new Sony TVs.

Ushay

Can anyone clarify what model the UK variant of KS8000 corresponds to? This is the one I have my eyes on for next year. How does it compare to the higher models price and performance wise?

SeanR1221

What game picture settings are you guys using?

Playing Battlefield 1 yesterday some inside areas look a little too dark.

I set it to game mode but haven't tweaked any additional picture settings.

Everdred

If you are using the Xbox One, HDR mode darkens the picture by a large margin, you either have to jack it up in the game settings or turn up your backlight when you play them. You can notice the difference when you jump from an HDR game to the guide/otherapp. I think it's actually a bug but I'm not sure.

SeanR1221

If you are using the Xbox One, HDR mode darkens the picture by a large margin, you either have to jack it up in the game settings or turn up your backlight when you play them. You can notice the difference when you jump from an HDR game to the guide/otherapp. I think it's actually a bug but I'm not sure.

Nah I'm using a ps4

Elios83

I use these settings:

On the PS4 side I have full range RGB, deep color and HDR all turned on.
On the TV I have game mode turned on, HDMI UHD Color on.
Backlight 13
Brightness 45
Contrast 90
Sharpness 40
Color 50
Smart Led High
Dynamic Contrast Medium
HDMI Black Level Normal
Color Temperature Standard
Gamma 0
Color Space Native

I think it looks really great with these settings, although it's really subjective of course.

SeanR1221

I use these settings:

On the PS4 side I have full range RGB, deep color and HDR all turned on.
On the TV I have game mode turned on, HDMI UHD Color on.
Backlight 13
Brightness 45
Contrast 90
Sharpness 40
Color 50
Smart Led High
Dynamic Contrast Medium
HDMI Black Level Normal
Color Temperature Standard
Gamma 0
Color Space Native

I think it looks really great with these settings, although it's really subjective of course.

Thanks! I'll try this later

Top Bottom