• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shining Series Appreciation Thread

pikablu

I'm on the last boss of shining force cd (sword of haiya). only problem is I was playing it on my psp using picodrive. The save format is specific to this platform so I have to continue it there. Unfortunately I can't at the moment because my psp is acting up.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Behind the Scenes - Shining Force.

It makes sense, Hiroyuki Takahashi got his start working on Dragon Quest and Dragon Quest was everything back then (in Japan at least).

Shining Force’s most obvious inheritance from Silver Ghost is the gochakyara (multiple character) system, whereby the chess-like command of units drove the series’ battle system and satisfied Takahashi’s desire for a truly engaging brand of tactical combat. Daring to mention Intelligent Systems’ (ostensibly) similarly structured Fire Emblem series only earns us a humorous retort: “The original Famicom Fire Emblem game? The tempo of that title was so bad that it wasn’t something I even wanted to play. Fire Emblem had zero influence on Shining Force.”
Haha, the more you know...

LOVE the '90s Shining series and bought every one at release. Reading through this thread has gotten me to think about replaying the 16-bit releases and, on the way, taking a lot of shots of them running on a CRT for a new post in the scanlines thread...

EGM's all-Sega magazine: MEGA PLAY look at Shining in the Darkness.

Man, I remember this buying this issue from the bookstore and really focusing on those shots during class in high school. Feeling real old right now.

Voliko

Shining Force 1 was one of my favorite games as a kid. It was so fun to replay it trying out different characters and limitations. The world was really cool and the character designs had a very distinct style. Back then a game with portraits and battle sprites like this looked amazing. You end up with robots, dragons, centaurs, birdmen, wolfmen, samurai, ninjas, old men in helicopters, it has everything

Kev Kev

SF2 is one of my favorite games of all time.

This is one of those games that I had to rent over and over again, praying that someone hadn't rented it in between and erased my save (god I do not miss those days lol).

Of course that actually did happen and I had to replay it multiple times before I actually beat it but when I finally did,.. My god was it oh so satisfying.

After playing SF2 I went back to SF1 and had the same issues and as a result I never actually beat it. Then a few years back I found it for $1.00 on iOS and finally, after nearly 20 years beat the absolute fuck out of it. I over leveled my characters and obliterated Dark Dragon, it was immensely satisfying to say the least; like a 20 year long battle finally coming to an end.

Oh, and one more thing, Musashi. Musashi motherfuckers lol, thank me later.

Funny story, as a kid I used to discard Slade and level up Kiwi instead. Oh boy was that a mistake (although to be fair Kiwi was a great attack sponge, but yeah, beyond that he was useless)

OP is my main man! Love me some shining force, I hope one day I'll get to play SF3.

mikeyvids

Neo Member
My people!

I love Shining Force 1 & 2

Recently was able to play Sword of Hajya on 3DS VC

I hope now that Atlus has access to Sega IPs they build out games from the universe of the original titles. An EO or mystery dungeon style game in SF universe would be amazing.

Teknoman

Shining Force 1 was one of my favorite games as a kid. It was so fun to replay it trying out different characters and limitations. The world was really cool and the character designs had a very distinct style. Back then a game with portraits and battle sprites like this looked amazing. You end up with robots, dragons, centaurs, birdmen, wolfmen, samurai, ninjas, old men in helicopters, it has everything

The basement of Guardiana castle looks more high tech than it should.

I really do miss that art.

ESBL

I think I have the first one on my phone, I remember playing the second as a child and it was amazing. Had Peter tanking everything.

Syril

Do you have a source for that by chance?

A source for that.

As it transpires, a relatively obscure Japanese PC game called Silver Ghost, released by Kure Software Koubou in 1988, exerted an influence on the design of Shining Force. “Prior to Silver Ghost,” Takahashi explains, “I didn’t like tactical simulation games at all – they gave players too much time to think… their tempo was all over the place. But Silver Ghost was different: it was a simulation action type of game where you had to direct, oversee and command multiple characters; it was the title that convinced me simulation games didn’t have to be crap.”

Shining Force’s most obvious inheritance from Silver Ghost is the gochakyara (multiple character) system, whereby the chess-like command of units drove the series’ battle system and satisfied Takahashi’s desire for a truly engaging brand of tactical combat. Daring to mention Intelligent Systems’ (ostensibly) similarly structured Fire Emblem series only earns us a humorous retort: “The original Famicom Fire Emblem game? The tempo of that title was so bad that it wasn’t something I even wanted to play. Fire Emblem had zero influence on Shining Force.” Takahashi continues, “Rather, before participating in the Shining Project I was thinking, ‘I wonder if there’s any way we can take the battles from Dragon Quest and make them more fun?’ Shining Force’s battle system came about as a result of following that line of thinking to its logical conclusion” – evidently with a little help from Silver Ghost.

EDIT: I'm so timely.

EDarkness

My favorite Shining game is Shining the Holy Ark on the Saturn. I've beaten that game a couple of times now and started it up again a few months ago. It's a shame that this series pretty much died when Sega stopped making hardware.

Damn......the feels.

I would say this is a touch better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMSEYAYal4w

Shining Force 2 really is the GOAT.

Wandering Warriors is one of the best themes to come out of the 16 bit era.

And the real symphonic instrument version of it is just...

https://youtu.be/vT7ZtwOBmqM

Now im back to being annoyed that the classic style and composers are kinda lost to time at this point.

God these sound so good. And yes, this classic style of VG-composition is all but gone these days from most games oddly enough.

I guess I lucked out, since I still have Shining Force on my iPhone. Maybe they pulled it off the app store, but I'm not seeing it (admittedly I didn't look too hard when I didn't see it under "Sega" or "Shining Force."

Kent

Shining the Holy Ark is among my favorite RPGs - up there alongside TWEWY, Bravely Default, SaGa Frontier, FFXII, Xenoblade and Panzer Dragoon Saga. I remember playing it so much that one of my cats would lay across my Saturn right in front of the memory card port because it was warm - head and forelegs hanging off one side, and hind legs off the other.

It single-handedly showed me how much fun exploration-centric dungeon RPGs can be, while at the same time pulling off a feeling of both immersion and exploratory quality that isn't really present in the genre any more - games like Etrian Odyssey are good, but are boiled-down too much and don't really resemble the progression you'd see in a more normal RPG-that-just-so-happens-to-have-really-good-dungeons, and then there are things like Stranger in Sword City that are just kind of bad. The first-person viewpoint, the Pixies system, and the overall presentation made the game really memorable and fun, regardless of the fact that the pre-rendered character graphics haven't really aged well. A Holy Ark-inspired first-person RPG is on my list of things I'd like to make one day.

Regrettably, I haven't really gotten around to doing much more than a cursory introduction to the first two Shining Force games and Shining in the Darkness, since I got them in the Steam Genesis collection. I got Shining Soul back in the day, when it came out here, but nobody else I knew ever picked it up, so I never got to do multiplayer... It was a fun little Diablo/PSO-style hack-and-slash loot hunting game.

Never really paid much attention to the series otherwise though - mostly because I rarely ever heard anything good about them after it made the jump to the PS2.

keero16

Neo Member
Played Shining Force 1 for the first time around the PS2 era and fell in love with it. Bought Shining Force Neo soon after and was really disappointed it wasn't like the Genesis game. It wasn't really that bad, but I never want to hear the phrase "hot stuff coming your way" again.

Most of my experience with the first game is through the remake on GBA. I've played through it countless times. Shining Force 2 is still the best one by far, and I'm really glad they included 1 and 2 in the Genesis collection on PS3. If there's another Sonic Sega All Stars racing game, I hope there's some reference to classic Shining Force somewhere.

mikeyvids

Neo Member
I guess I lucked out, since I still have Shining Force on my iPhone. Maybe they pulled it off the app store, but I'm not seeing it (admittedly I didn't look too hard when I didn't see it under "Sega" or "Shining Force."

They pulled it off iOS a month before I got an iPad.

Does anyone know if SF1 has a symphonic / orchestra soundtrack or any fan cover albums?

pmj

Well my Saturn is region free now and I've spent a couple of hours playing SF3, for the first time. It's a lot of fun.

It has some typical early 3D issues, but it feels nice and snappy in combat. The game doesn't waste your time and I appreciate that.

I should replay the older games at some point, because I don't remember much about them.

Battlechili

Banned
Does anyone know if Shining Resonance was any good?
If you dig Shining Force, definitely play the original Arc the Lad trilogy. Not 1:1 the same but it scratched the same itch for me.
Along with this, I'd recommend that people try "Feda: The Emblem of Justice" on the SNES. Its VERY similar gameplay wise and was even directed by the artist of Shining Force.

Bog

Junior Ace
Does anyone know if Shining Resonance was any good?Along with this, I'd recommend that people try "Feda: The Emblem of Justice" on the SNES. Its VERY similar gameplay wise and was even directed by the artist of Shining Force.

Hah, I was clicking reply just to ask if anyone played FEDA and read this as it was loading.

I have an import cartridge (which I can Retron 5 patch), but I was curious if it was worth the time to play through. I'd heard it had some people from the Shining team.

Battlechili

Banned
Hah, I was clicking reply just to ask if anyone played FEDA and read this as it was loading.

I have an import cartridge (which I can Retron 5 patch), but I was curious if it was worth the time to play through. I'd heard it had some people from the Shining team.
Its definitely worth a try. I think the most appealing aspect of it though is that its got very...err...saucy dialogue. It tries very hard to mimic casual military speak, and its entertaining in that aspect, though I suspect some of it is the result of a translation that took some liberties. The karma system based on how you handle fights affecting who joins you was a nice touch, too. Otherwise it plays 1:1 like a Shining game from what I've played. If that all sounds good to you, then you're sure to like it.

Don't expect much on the story front though. Its basically a "rebel against an evil empire" story. The characters are likable and make up for this, however.

Played Shining Force 1 for the first time around the PS2 era and fell in love with it. Bought Shining Force Neo soon after and was really disappointed it wasn't like the Genesis game. It wasn't really that bad, but I never want to hear the phrase "hot stuff coming your way" again.

Lol, I've played and loved Shining Force games since the days of the Genesis but the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread title was "Hot stuff, coming your way!"

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Listening to the Shining Force 2 ost. Its a really dramatically big improvement over Forces. Art as well. Shame the gameplay fell into bigger but not better territory. Far to much meandering an unnecessary battles.

Toth

Where's the love for Shining the Holy Ark? It was one of the best RPGs of the Saturn and perfected the Shining in the Darkness playstyle. It also had one heck of a good story and cast of characters. Lots of variety in dungeons, abilities, and skills as well. It was pretty cool to see SF 3 be a direct sequel of it too.

edit: Oh I see some! Good show, my friends.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Even though I beat Shining Soul earlier this week I've gone back an cleared out the last area a couple more times! Kinda curious about Advanced Mode but I dunno what a good level ta start that at would be, and I dread how annoying the hit/miss & run gameplay will be against baddies with even higher stats >.>;

Shining Force 3 is probably my favorite strategy RPG ever, to bad we didn't get to experience all 3 chapters.

Scenarios 2 and 3 have pretty good fan translations now. Enjoy!

Real talk: Shining Force 3 is the reason I studied Japanese. Although by the time I got a chance to take Japanese the fan translations were pretty good.

Is Shining in the Darkness worth playing? Looks like just another Wizardry/DQ clone

I think it has a good atmosphere. It takes some time to get into and it's a bit archaic but definitely worth a try. If you at all like it but feel that it's tedious, play Shining the Holy Ark instead.

Teknoman

Man, where is the first real weapon shop in Shining Force I? I've reached Manarina, which doesnt seem to have a shop, and the previous town, Rindo, just had the same items from Chapter 1 for the most part.

cireza

Banned
Last year I made a hack for Shining Force II, and I am currently making an update to it.

I am in the process of including Gong in the game. He will join instead of Gerhalt (who will join later), and have a class of MONK. Then he will be promoted to MMNK. I am using the MONK sprites from SFI and the MMNK sprites from SF CD. Claude will be removed.

My hack already had a bunch of changes.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2684/

I hope I can update it before the end of the year !

woopWOOP

I've only ever played Shining Soul 1 and 2 :x

I bought both Shining Soul 1 and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance before my family and I went on a 10 day holiday trip (to some run down, crappy camping area), but I left FFTA at home so "I could only focus on one RPG game". Few hours into the trip and starting Shining Soul and I realised what a mistake I've made. Turns out it wasn't a traditional story focused RPG. Game was so bland and boring... but there was nothing else to do over there besides the occasional chilling in the sun, so I played through it anyway. Eventually I got kind of into it. Think I beat the final boss the day before leaving... the final boss screen scrolls to the right to a pretty nature area with some closing text and that's it. Game was such a letdown in every way, lol.

I discovered Shining Soul 2 through illigal emulation and decided to check it out, probably only because I knew of SS1. I liked that one so much that I eventually went and bought a copy of my own. It was improved in every way: double the classes, more skills per class, better artstyle, better level design, some neat boss battles, catchy bgms, all around goofier presentation... and a whole bunch of weird secret levels. Altho I never managed to get any co-op going, I had a great time going through this alone. It's a decent game!

I have both Shining Force and Shining Force 2 on a SEGA collections disc for PS3, but I never got beyond goofing around on the first map for a short bit :p

Shining Force 2 was one the first RPG I ever played and to this day it's still amazing. The combat, characters and that music! So good.

I then bought SF1 which was almost as good and later on when the Saturn came out I picked up Shining the Holy Arc which though different I also loved (best battle theme ever) and Shining Force 3 part 1 was amazing.

Sadly I have never had the chance to play part 2 & 3 and sadly Sega kind of fell apart from there. I imported one of the PS2 Shining games (Shining Tears I think) from the US and it was abysmal.

When Valkyria Chronicles came out I had high hopes Sega might revitalise the Shining series but even Valkyria they seemed to drop the ball on straight away *sigh*

Teknoman

My dream game would be a Shining Force using Valkyria's combat engine and graphic style, with character designs done by whoever did pre Saturn art and Shining Force 2 / CD composition style.

I really wanna play Shining Force III again but I don't have a Saturn or the game anymore.

In my memory it's one of the best games ever

GrayDFox

Neo Member
Shououts to all the people who played Shining Soul 1 & 2 for the GBA.
Those games were incredibly fun, and I loved playing it with friends.

Edit: More Shining Soul 2, than Shining Soul 1. But I'm pretty sure you guys get the idea.

I'm on the last boss of shining force cd (sword of haiya). only problem is I was playing it on my psp using picodrive. The save format is specific to this platform so I have to continue it there. Unfortunately I can't at the moment because my psp is acting up.

I guess you'll have to find a replacement psp? They're not terribly expensive, at least. Does your PSP work well enough so that you can move the savegame off to a computer and finish your game that way?

Were you able to get the Super Turbo mode working? IGN stated: "At the title screen, press Up, Down, Up, Down, B, then hold Start+A+C until the main screen appears. Choose your name, then quickly hold Start+A+C again."

I just started Force CD yesterday. According to wiki, were you able to do this on your PSP? "Character stats from Books 1 and 2 can be carried over to Book 3 by saving the game on a back-up RAM cart, since the Sega CD's internal memory isn't enough to keep all the data files. Character stats from Book 3 can similarly be transferred to Book 4." I want to know if i'm going to run into issues while continuing on the psp. I'm having a few stability issues on the emulator as well. need to check and make sure i'm running 1.51b.

I'd totalllllly forgotten that SF3 even exists. i'll need to finish Force CD first, and then after SF3, maybe revisit SF1 and SF2. Had a lot of fun playing SF1 and SF2 as a kid. The music from SF2 is still engrained in my head.

Teknoman

SF1 really is no joke / moves fast.

Shining Force:"Yay we got a boat"
Runefaust: "Nah bruh" immediately destroys the boat the instant you set foot on it

Then sets up a creepy (but well done for the time) zombie ambush in the next town.

SF1 really is no joke / moves fast.

Shining Force:"Yay we got a boat"
Runefaust: "Nah bruh" immediately destroys the boat the instant you set foot on it

Then sets up a creepy (but well done for the time) zombie ambush in the next town.

Shade Abbey is still my favorite creepy town. When the townspeople start following you, holy shit, few games pull off creepy that well. That they could do that limited to somewhere around 240p and 64 colors is why I don't get the obsession with graphics. Limitations breed creativity.

Top Bottom