• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Auditorium 2 Kickstarter Project [Funded]

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/761471459/auditorium-2-duet

Auditorium 2: Duet is a sequel to the amazing Auditorium. Duet has cooperative mode added to it. It also uses Steam to it's fullest, taking advantage of their matchmaking, multiplayer, leaderboard, and achievements framework; and has Mac and PC support.

Not sure what Auditorium is? You can play the demo here: http://www.playauditorium.com

Any donation would be amazing since anyone who donates at least $1 will get a PC/Mac copy of Fractal ($7 on Steam right now), though the more the merrier.

$60,000 isn't a lot of money and will only cover 4 months of the 6-12 month development. It's also using Unity engine so porting to multiple devices and platforms will definitely take place if the response is great.

I know a lot of gaffers (including myself) love Auditorium, so when I found out that the sequel is being made and isn't meeting the funding, I got baffled. As much as it's awesome supporting multimillion dollar projects, it would be a shame seeing a small project like this die off. Make it happen, GAF!

linko9

Very modest price... I'm surprised they don't already have this sort of money available, I was under the impression the first game did quite well.

bonesquad

I bought Auditorium on iPhone a couple years ago, and was enjoying it... until I realized I only purchased the first third of the game and they wanted IAPs to unlock the rest. Never again will I pay for what amounted to a demo! While I did like what I played, fts. At least the game taught me to look at the list of IAPs before I purchase anything.

Np, I'm not still bitter at all... :)

Wildesy

Demo was amazing, what an awesome concept. Gonna buy the full version and see whether I'm keen for a sequel after I finish, I dare say I will after that!

Edit: I watched the Kickstarter video and the guys behind it seem very cool as well, think I might get on board with this one.

BiggNife

I hope all these questionable kickstarters don't ruin the Tex Murphy one.

I don't see how this is questionable. It's a sequel to a game that got a decent amount of attention in the indie game community, and the project description makes it pretty clear they know exactly what they want to do with this game.

These guys don't deserve flack for bad planning. Point your fingers towards Tempus Chronicle or Hardcore Tactical Shooter instead.

If this only covers 4 months, then where is the money for the next 2-8 months coming from? And if they have that money, then why can't they just develop it without the kickstarter and hope that it can be done in the shorter portion of their 6-12 month range?

Really seems like they aren't sure what it's going to take and this is just a way for them to throw stuff against the wall for free and hope it works.

I'm a big fan of Kickstarter but the companies using it really need to nail down an actual budget that has contingencies built in so that people donating will actually know that the money raised will pay for the game. This whole "we aren't sure how much money this is actually going to take but we'd like to use your money to find out" approach is going to lead to trouble.

SparkTR

Just saying in general. I'm just wondering whether people will get sick of them after a while.

If they offer something people want they'll get funded. I doubt a person would, for example, dismiss a new Tex Murphy game because they have are tired of all the pitches. It's the product being funded that really gets the attention of gamers, not the name of the website.

JABEE

Donations will also help cover the sundry costs of running a company. We normally do all the design and music for our games in house, but being able to hire outside expertise if needed will free up our resources and really jumpstart the development process. 

We are essentially asking for our fans and backers to give us the opportunity to focus entirely on a game that we all want, without needing to worry about whether our company can stay afloat. Anything we get above our target will go right back into the game--more game depth, more platforms, more creative flourishes.

So the funding is going to pay off their company's debt and what's left minus 60k will go towards the game?

mclem

So the funding is going to pay off their company's debt and what's left minus 60k will go towards the game?

Well, given that a significant proportion of any development company's outlay is the payroll, and any money which goes towards the game would go towards paying people to make it ... at some point you really have to regard the two situations as one and the same.

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
Just put in some money. Liked the first - would love to see a proper sequel with 2-player mode.

BiggNife

I was kind of confused about the doom and gloom of the article when I clicked the link and it directed me towards a Kickstarter that was 95% funded with 3 days to go.
A day or to ago it was around $40,000.

I think the combination of the Giant Bomb article along with a Rock Paper Shotgun article about it really gave the Kickstarter the shot in the arm it needed.

Instro

Wow, it made most of its money in the last week. I didn't think the project would make it when i saw the kickstarter a couple weeks back.

Cronen

Sorry for the necro bump, but just wanted to say that this game still hasn't been released.

The developers promised monthly updates back in November 2015, and the last update from them was December 2015. 6 months without a single word. Nothing on their Twitter page about it either.

The real kick in the teeth is that they don't mind sending me a newsletter telling me their previous games are on sale. Won't be buying another one of their games.

So what the fuck happened to this game? It's almost been 5 years. I was so excited for it (as seen by the OP).

The year long silence is deafening, and them already working on newer projects spell disaster for this game. It's never releasing, is it?

Cronen

So what the fuck happened to this game? It's almost been 5 years. I was so excited for it (as seen by the OP).

The year long silence is deafening, and them already working on newer projects spell disaster for this game. It's never releasing, is it?

The worst part is the silence. I've begrudgingly accepted that I won't get this game, but I would at least just like Cypher Prime to provide an update of some kind. If it's to say that the game is still being worked on, or if the game is completely dead - they should let their backers know. Their last update was December 2015.

I will occasionally re-visit the Kickstarter page and see backers occasionally still posting and requesting updates, but it's clearly falling upon deaf ears. Such a shitty situation.

Trace

Banned
The worst part is the silence. I've begrudgingly accepted that I won't get this game, but I would at least just like Cypher Prime to provide an update of some kind. If it's to say that the game is still being worked on, or if the game is completely dead - they should let their backers know. Their last update was December 2015.

I will occasionally re-visit the Kickstarter page and see backers occasionally still posting and requesting updates, but it's clearly falling upon deaf ears. Such a shitty situation.

You should probably tweet at them, seems they acknowledged the game in November.

https://twitter.com/cipherprime/status/793834676439965696

No communication for 10 months, claiming to have it in their drafts, and then not posting it for another 2 months, while still tweeting about everything else. Pretty pathetic.

Yeah, they stated in their last update in 2015 (Fuck!!! It's 2017 already!!) that in 2016, they'll communicate more often with monthly updates... Lol yeah right.

I personally feel quite humiliated creating this thread and luring folks in to help pledge this. I have since stopped promoting Kickstarters, and Shenmue is the only one I pledged after this mess of a thing. I'll keep on bumping this as more news (or non-news) occurs in the following months/years as a reminder to all.

Yeah, they stated in their last update in 2015 (Fuck!!! It's 2017 already!!) that in 2016, they'll communicate more often with monthly updates... Lol yeah right.

I personally feel quite humiliated creating this thread and luring folks in to help pledge this. I have since stopped promoting Kickstarters, and Shenmue is the only one I pledged after this mess of a thing. I'll keep on bumping this as more news (or non-news) occurs in the following months/years as a reminder to all.

I've had some kickstarters I've backed fail, but I've been lucky that not one of them were cases were the devs stopped communicating. When you stop doing that, you stop taking responsibility for taking money from people for your project.

Top Bottom