• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UC4 Game Director Justin Richmond Leaves ND (And famousmortimer leaves GAF #1393)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randdalf

It's kind of weird to see all this talent go to Riot Games. It reminds me when Zynga was a massive talent sink for all sorts of developers.

Maybe UC4 is pretty much complete?

They mentioned a couple of months ago that they just got the engine up and running for the PS4.

What ever was originally worked on for this game is probably going to get scrapped now that two of the main directors are replaced.

It's basically what's happening with Halo 5 right now.

Sean

Banned
That's a terrible theory, how could anyone believe what you are saying right now? Sony prides themselves on their big franchises.

Is it really that hard to believe?

Microsoft used to publish a ton of games, most of which flopped, but then cut back dramatically and focused on a handful of core franchises (Halo, Gears, Forza, Fable, etc).

Not sure what's so unbelievable about Sony doing the same thing, especially when they're the #1 selling console. They don't need to have a ton of first party game releases to sell PS4's this generation: it's $100 cheaper and has better multiplatform games.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The director of Uncharted leaves to.... Riot Games? Really now?

You guys still want to tell me the sky isn't falling at Sony World Wide Studios? Because it sure as hell looks like it right now.
Well Riot has the most successful game on earth and is making multiple unannounced projects, so a multiplayer minded guy heading there doesn't seem ridiculous.

That said Sony is obviously making large ass changes internally.

Naughty Dog is owned by Sony, that makes them first party. Second party is basically an independent studio making exclusives for a console maker.

Should have said 2nd party-ish... The point is Sony should not be messing with with Naughty Dog staff unless there's a huge budget hole within Naughty Dog. And even then it would not be personalities...

Kura

Banned
I think it's such an honour to work at ND... and he leaves to work on Riot Games. Well. If it wasnt for his work on past Uncharted titles, I would say this is one of the most sassy examples of people who just cares about money and not about games.

Cant feel nothing but disappointed, with all those talents flying away from sony.

FStop7

Banned
Who let the Dogs out?

I think it's such an honour to work at ND... and he leaves to work on Riot Games. Well. If it wasnt for his work on past Uncharted titles, I would say this is one of the most sassy examples of people who just cares about money and not about games.

Cant feel nothing but disappointed, with all those talents flying away from sony.

Jesus, dude. It's a job at video game studio not an appointment to high office.

Oh man, if only Uncharted 3 was actually any good. I can't even pretend to give a crap.

Quite possibly the most offensive video "game" I've ever "played" in my life.

maneil99

Microsoft used to publish a ton of games, most of which flopped, but then cut back dramatically and focused on a handful of core franchises (Halo, Gears, Forza, Fable, etc).

Not sure what's so unbelievable about Sony doing the same thing, especially when they're the #1 selling console. They don't need to have a ton of first party game releases to sell PS4's this generation: it's $100 cheaper and has better multiplatform games.

Sony has always closed games that flopped, (Socom, Starhawk ect ) but why would they cut down there big studios? Thats moronic.

Setsuna

Still not worrying yet. Sony split there studios in order to keep people from leaving what i see here besides jacks departure are people leaving because there projects fell through (stigs game) or because they would be in contest with other people on the team (amy)

EL CUCO

Google+
PlayStation+
Google Now
PlayStation Now
Play Store
PlayStation

Think about it... It was right under our nose all along.
9kONtzB.jpg

b0bbyJ03

I don't think there is anything major going on. I really just think that the economics of this new gen is causing most of these changes (except for ND, seems to be some internal stuff going on there). If there is anything that i know about the games industry is that they couldn't keep a secret if the fate of humanity depended on it. just look back at these last few years, when was the last time we were truly surprised? everything is rumored before it becomes a reality and if there was something crazy going on with SWWS as a whole we'd have heard a million rumors by now.

StuBurns

Banned

LoL is the biggest game in the world.

And then after he left he has bad things to say?

no he just wont talk about it- strange-he talks openly about developing the game and everything up until the launch and wont say what happened before launch or after-or his exact reasons to go to IO interactive after being at (arguably) one of the the most talented studios around

people keep on worrying about U4

but when did the trailer say it was U4 to begin with

the trailer just said Uncharted....

maybe we are just going back in TIME... No maybe Neil is changing TIME!

rewriting history going back to the founding days of ND so that he may run the studio for himself

we are in a Time Paradox folks

Nev

Banned
Wait he's going to Riot Games? They hired him based on what? The only game Riot Games have is a multiplayer game, and the multiplayer record of this guy is:

- Destroying one of the best multiplayer games last gen by reducing the player health to half, thus completely transforming for the absolute worse the gameplay. Ignored an exceptionally well-written, logical and polite petition from the WHOLE community (along with any other kind of petition/opinion in regards to this) to revert the changes, too.

- Destroying Uncharted 3 multiplayer from the beta (which was close to the original Uncharted 2 greatness because the health was back to normal) to the final game by making running and shooting without using L1 to aim the most effective way of killing. He increased the player speed while doing this, made the guns to basically lock-on targets without any aiming input and created a weapon that relies completely in "not aiming". He also acknowledged this was his favorite way of playing. They eventually changed this but I bet it wasn't because of him.

I wouldn't want Mr. Multiplayer Ruiner anywhere near League of Legends.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Does everyone get that people move into different positions and get better jobs in all industries?

Does everyone get that Sony has been restructuring?

Of course "something is going on at Sony". They are restructuring their entire business to stay RELEVANT. This guy already has a job lined up not because riot games heard Sony was firing him but because he was trying to get another job.

Sydle

Given that he pointed out his reason behind joining Riot games (working on innovative stuff ) it seems safe to assume he's probably just tired of working on Uncharted (and Druckman's a big meanie, amirite). Nothing to see here.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Casualties List:

Amy Hennig (Creative Director) of Naughty Dog
Justin Richmond (Creative Director) of Naughty Dog
Col Rodgers (Creative Director) of Evolution Studios
Stig Asmussen (Creative Director) of Sony Santa Monica
Jaime Griesemer (Lead Designer) of Sucker Punch
60+ Employees of Sony Santa Monica
Jack Tretton as President and CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment of America

Nope, nothing to see here guys, standard turnover. Not a trend.

Well, Sony itself is a huge company and all of those companies are subsidiaries. Its not actually that much of a coincidence. It doesn't seem more likely to me that there's a behind the scenes meltdown at Sony than other companies offered them more money and/or control. Its no more proper to publicly say "[Former Employee] left for more money," than it is to discuss some kind of falling out.

Oh well, ND had a good run.

They made two great games. Uncharted 2 and The Last of Us.

Two great games is more than most developers manage.

Goodbye Sweet Prince.

Both game teams are still in tact. The Uncharted 3 team is the one on trial.

I think some positive news needs to be released soon. This is looking grim with no positive announcements from Sony's first party; however, let's not imagine bridges that aren't there.

Squalor

Everyone is coming up with crazy ideas.

I bet this is all about money.

Most of these have been bigwig departures. I bet they wanted more money that Sony wasn't willing to give, so they left.

hal9001

Banned
Games are not movies. The game directer does not have the same impact as say that of a film director. Yes they have influence on the direction, but a games quality is decided by a whole other load of factors in combination rather than just a single persons contribution. The way people overreact over one person leaving gives a huge disservice to countless of nameless people behind the scenes that go to make these games what they are. Creating games as a whole is a collaborative endeavour and the sooner these egotistical big name so called "game directors" start getting a little less credit then the better it will be.

What the hell is going on? I have no hope for Uncharted 4 if both the head writer and main director left the studio. This is all sorts of weird. Now I really AM curious on what happened with Amy... surely it is no coincidence that Justin left so quickly after that happened...

Jomjom

Banned
Now that there's no game director, can we just move everyone to working on The Last Guardian of Us and forget Uncharted?

Richmond screwed up Uncharted 2 MP and was the lead on Uncharted 3 so I can't say I'll miss him. Still leaves 4 in a weird spot and I he we find out the real story of what's going on at Naughty Dog eventually.

This fire's only going to get bigger, you can smell the fumes. This shit's going to be an inferno by the time E3 rolls around. When that happens Sony needs to step the fuck up and show the world they still got that first party swagger. They need to blow us away.

Call me crazy, but this tickle in my brain tells me they won't be able to do that.

If sassy is feeding your family and making a better life for your kids, then I'm all for sass. I would sass my ass all over the god damn place if I could.

Duxxy3

I go to whatever console has the best, and most, games that I would play. I bought a PS4 on the assumption that the quality and quantity of first party games would be similar to what the PS3 received.

For the first time since launch, I am concerned that that may not happen. E3 can't come soon enough.

Persona7

Banned

Why?

What the hell is going on? I have no hope for Uncharted 4 if both the head writer and main director left the studio. This is all sorts of weird. Now I really AM curious on what happened with Amy... surely it is no coincidence that Justin left so quickly after that happened...

Don't forget, Amy Hennig was also a Director on all three Uncharted games.

This fire's only going to get bigger, you can smell the fumes. This shit's going to be an inferno by the time E3 rolls around. When that happens Sony needs to step the fuck up and show the world they still got that first party swagger. They need to blow us away.

Call me crazy, but this tickle in my brain tells me they won't be able to do that.

Crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom