• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

nick nacc

Banned
anyone have any experience in the Status Audio HD One's? I have been hearing amazing things about these. Under 50 bucks is nuts. Hope they make a wireless version soon

So when are you getting a STAX?

id need a new damn amp to get it so not much. Im pretty happy with what i have now and i havent spent all that much. To get a pair of SR009s and a Blue Hawaii, i think that would be overkill.

Im moving to a loft next year so i want to concentrate on my stereo setup so would rather keep the headphones as is. Ive got 6 sets of headphones, 2 DAC/AMps and a portable DAC/Amp - i think getting any more would just be kinda greedy and i dont need it.

3 years and 11 months into owning my LCD-2s and the left driver unit seems to have failed. I have no idea what's happened but the left channel has completely ceased to work with any source or cable combo where other pairs work just fine. Cable continuity seems in place, internal wiring seems good, all the solder joints look okay - the driver simply produces no sound. It's rather unfortunate.

It's well beyond warranty at this point but Audez'e has offered to replace the pair for $400 which I'm definitely taking them up on.

Man that is a pretty damn good price, all things considered. Is it worth putting in the extra $300 for a set of open backed EL-8s instead?

I am gun shy on pulling the trigger on the 950bt by sony I just think they are so sexy.

bb4becc46b52f6bef9d2cf4ffcd6d0bc

I can get them refurb for like $90. Can someone either talk me into getting them or discourage me? Is there a comparably priced Bluetooth headset that looks as good and minimal? (wirless is a must) I am not working out in these.

Have them. Love them. Went through about 9 pairs of BT before finally finding these. Buy!

AWWWWW YEAHH im doing it!

Have we discussed the bullshit of international versions (impossible to find) come in the unique cool colors... So lame.

you buy new or refurb? How much did you spend? I want to get it for under 100

Glad I saw this since I've been looking for some Bluetooth headphones. All I've seen at Amazon and and Best Buy is the extra bass model. Is that all they make at this point and where is the cheapest place to buy these? Thanks!

Jay Sosa

Got my Carbo Tenore, sound is amazing but isolation is on par with my 9€ panasonics (RP-120) and the microphonics are very annoying. When wearing over ear it's a lot better but that's a bit uncomfortable.

Guess the search continues.

HiResDes

I have a pair of ATH-AD700's and they are about 5 years old now. They are pretty grimy now and I am looking for an upgrade. I want something that is not opened back, I don't like how much the sound bleeds. What should I get?

Are you after something with a similar sound signature? Also how much are you looking to spend?

Got my Carbo Tenore, sound is amazing but isolation is on par with my 9€ panasonics (RP-120) and the microphonics are very annoying. When wearing over ear it's a lot better but that's a bit uncomfortable.

Guess the search continues.

I'm pretty sure I told you that the isolation on those is average

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Now that the Momentums have a few days for me to get used to the sound and also to let the pads soften to mould my head better I've got to say that the bass has been much better. Thought the bass doesn't quite have the impact or quantity I was looking for, but after awhile it totally does. Probably still doesn't beat the v-moda m100 from impressions I've read, but these aren't bass-neutral at all. Really good texture and it has a lack of boominess that colours the mids too.

andylsun

id need a new damn amp to get it so not much. Im pretty happy with what i have now and i havent spent all that much. To get a pair of SR009s and a Blue Hawaii, i think that would be overkill.

Im moving to a loft next year so i want to concentrate on my stereo setup so would rather keep the headphones as is. Ive got 6 sets of headphones, 2 DAC/AMps and a portable DAC/Amp - i think getting any more would just be kinda greedy and i dont need it.

You would go straight in at the high end? As you are using headphones like EL-8 and Oppo PM-3, then the low end STAX would be an comparatively equal starting point, and if you don't like it, you can probably sell it on for what you paid for it. Don't discount the SRS-2170 if you've not heard it.

I do agree that 6 sets of headphones are probably enough. I'm trying to get down to one pair of open backed for home (STAX SRS-2170), one pair of closed back for travel (Sennheiser HD25-I) and some IEM's (Rockets). I'll keep my other Sennheisers (HD565, HD595) but use for gaming. Edit: And a pair of STAX SR-5 for the office.

The HD565 Ovation are 25 years old, but I refreshed the foam and headband and fixed a loose connection in one of the drivers, so they are now fully functional and just as good as the 595. My first ever decent pair of headphones

Couple of my friends who've heard the Lambda vs. the 007/009 feel that the actual technical differences between the headsets is pretty scant (one of them felt it's probably just 5% overall), with the 007/009 both actually feeling more closed in, if anything. This is driven off of Stax' own amps in a showroom. Not sure what the actual headroom for the 009/007 is with something like the KGSSHV or a Liquid Lightning/BHSE

You would go straight in at the high end? As you are using headphones like EL-8 and Oppo PM-3, then the low end STAX would be an comparatively equal starting point, and if you don't like it, you can probably sell it on for what you paid for it. Don't discount the SRS-2170 if you've not heard it.

I do agree that 6 sets of headphones are probably enough. I'm trying to get down to one pair of open backed for home (STAX SRS-2170), one pair of closed back for travel (Sennheiser HD25-I) and some IEM's (Rockets). I'll keep my other Sennheisers (HD565, HD595) but use for gaming.

The HD565 Ovation are 25 years old, but I refreshed the foam and headband and fixed a loose connection in one of the drivers, so they are now fully functional and just as good as the 595. My first ever decent pair of headphones

Currently i have:

Headphones:

- Audeze EL-8 Closed back
- Audeze LCD3Fw Norne Draug 2
- Sennheiser HD 800s w Norne Draug 2
- Oppo PM3
- Audiotechnica ATH-A900
- FAD Heaven C IEMs

Amps

- CEntrance Dacmini
- Oppo HA-1
- Oppo HA-2

Yes i dont own any electrostats, but i have a set for pretty much every occasion now, with the LCD3 and HD800s being paired with my desktop AMP/DAC - then using the HA2 with PM3/EL8s when i travel.

It's getting to the point now that id love to hear some new headphones..but i think i have what i need without going crazy and im pretty happy with all those headphones tbh.

Karish

OK guys. Ready to upgrade from my Monoprice 8323. Use mostly for gaming. Currently have HM5 Velour Pads and vmoda boom pro mic attached and would like to utilize those with whatever's new. Could be convinced to ditch them for the right new pair. Live with my fiance so probably need closed but open to semi open or open if they don't leak too much.

Budget ~$100 or less

REPINGING for a new page

andylsun

It's getting to the point now that id love to hear some new headphones..but i think i have what i need without going crazy and im pretty happy with all those headphones tbh.

Once you're happy with what you've got, that's a pretty good place to stop. Nice list.

It was a toss up between EL-8 and the STAX, but to own a pair of headphones that I've wanted since 1985 (original lambda review I saw in What Hifi) and heard in person in 1995, was too good a chance to miss.

Edit: So LCD-3 v HD800? Comparable?

HiResDes

Yeah after some unforeseen financial woes I had to put them on the backburner, but I still intend to pare down my collection to a pair of Stax before the summer's end.

Once you're happy with what you've got, that's a pretty good place to stop. Nice list.

It was a toss up between EL-8 and the STAX, but to own a pair of headphones that I've wanted since 1985 (original lambda review I saw in What Hifi) and heard in person in 1995, was too good a chance to miss.

Edit: So LCD-3 v HD800? Comparable?
Completely different sounds. The HD800s are transparent and completely neutral. I find them slightly bright where the treble can hurt a little bit. The new cables I got for them really compliment them well and I heard they benefit from the warmth of tube amps.

The LCD3Fs are warm and have the audeze bass slam. I love them to death but they are damn heavy and heat your ears up way too much after a short time.

The audeze are just a much more enjoyable sound to me, a lot more fun. I love the EL-8s as well, it's a really nice sound.

For me: Neutral = pm3 and hd800s. Warm, strong bass, hard drums and fun = EL-8 and LCD3Fs

My Sony MDR 1R's just came in the mail today. I was able to find a used pair for $100 and jumped on it. This is my first pair of nice headphones, and HOLY CRAP. I've heard some claim the bass is lacking in these - but those highs and mids. Wow. I feel like a whole new world has opened up to me. Listening to FlyLo - You're Dead now. These just sound too good, it's like hearing the album again for the first time.

Eanan

Now that the Momentums have a few days for me to get used to the sound and also to let the pads soften to mould my head better I've got to say that the bass has been much better. Thought the bass doesn't quite have the impact or quantity I was looking for, but after awhile it totally does. Probably still doesn't beat the v-moda m100 from impressions I've read, but these aren't bass-neutral at all. Really good texture and it has a lack of boominess that colours the mids too.
Should have bought a pair of Sennheiser urbanites dude for that big bass.

HiResDes

I don't have the HM5, just the pads
You know since you already have the replacement pads you could get the JVC S680s and replace their stock ones to create a great set at a good value. Otherwise check out the NVX XPT100's if you're looking for something more neutral. The M Audio Q40 is another fantastic headphone in your but really benefits from a bit of amping.

Antiwhippy

I dunno man, style is personal and all that but I don't like how the urbanites look at all. Too bulky and chunky. Seeing that I'm using these as portables I do consider headphones to be fashion pieces.

HiResDes

I dunno man, style is personal and all that but I don't like how the urbanites look at all. Too bulky and chunky. Seeing that I'm using these as portables I do consider headphones to be fashion pieces.
Their bass definitely bleeds into the mids more as well.

Antiwhippy

Yeah, I used to think I don't mind the mids being recessed but I do enjoy the separation of the mids and bass. Still think the momentums are lacking in treble extension but I'll take that over bass bleeding into the mids.

Though I guess if I want basshead phones bass bleed is kind of point. Still, happy with the momentum's bass for now.

Eanan

Thats true as I consider them to be more appealing in the looks than the momentums.

My nation coloured urbanites have gotten a good few compliments since ive got them, they look really nice in person.

Eanan

Has anyone here used or have the Xiamoi piston 2 or the newer piston 3 in ear phones?

If you do, how do they sound for the price (~€15 currently for genuine originals).

I prefer the look of the silver piston 2s:

HLY7j5I.jpg

as opposed to the Piston 3.

I imagine the piston 3s will sound better though.

Any thoughts?

Antiwhippy

I have the pistons 2 and I really like them. Really good, fun bassy sound with good treble and bass but the boominess of the bass causes the lower mids to be somewhat muffled. Still a good fun sound though, and worth it for the price.

From what I've read the 3s aren't that big of an upgrade.

Be careful of fakes though.

Eanan

I have the pistons 2 and I really like them. Really good, fun bassy sound with good treble and bass but the boominess of the bass causes the lower mids to be somewhat muffled. Still a good fun sound though, and worth it for the price.

From what I've read the 3s aren't that big of an upgrade.

Be careful of fakes though.

Thanks for that, I think ill go for the 2s then as the piston 3s are made of plastic now and are a bit more expensive.

Yeah, ill probably buy off Tiny deal as they only sell genuine Xiaomi stock.

HiResDes

Thanks for that, I think ill go for the 2s then as the piston 3s are made of plastic now and are a bit more expensive.

Yeah, ill probably buy off Tiny deal as they only sell genuine Xiaomi stock.
Get the 2.0 if you want a bass heavy earphone and honestly if you're looking for balanced ones they're are better options at the same price point of the 3.0 including the Zero Audio Tenore, Ostry KC06, RE-300H,and the Fidue A63.

Eanan

Get the 2.0 if you want a bass heavy earphone and honestly if you're looking for balanced ones they're are better options at the same price point of the 3.0 including the Zero Audio Tenore, Ostry KC06, RE-300H,and the Fidue A63.

Yeah I ordered the 2.0s. Might also order the 3.0s to see what theyre like though.

I dont live in the US so those headphones seem hard to get over here, but thanks for the recommendations.

darkwing

My Sony MDR 1R's just came in the mail today. I was able to find a used pair for $100 and jumped on it. This is my first pair of nice headphones, and HOLY CRAP. I've heard some claim the bass is lacking in these - but those highs and mids. Wow. I feel like a whole new world has opened up to me. Listening to FlyLo - You're Dead now. These just sound too good, it's like hearing the album again for the first time.

that is a nice get, it's a fun headphone

Karish

You know since you already have the replacement pads you could get the JVC S680s and replace their stock ones to create a great set at a good value. Otherwise check out the NVX XPT100's if you're looking for something more neutral. The M Audio Q40 is another fantastic headphone in your but really benefits from a bit of amping.

For some reason I felt compelled to try the UE6000 even though it doesn't fit the pads. Hopefully I will like them. If not I will try the JVC or NVX

HiResDes

For some reason I felt compelled to try the UE6000 even though it doesn't fit the pads. Hopefully I will like them. If not I will try the JVC or NVX

Good headphones, but really suspect quality control.

Oh well I guess I need an amp too. Help me out. I know jack shit about that. I have just been plugging my current ones right into my motherboard.

They scale really well, but don't need too much amping, any budget set will do the track. Maybe get something portable in case you want to take them with you. The Schiit Fulla would be an excellent choice if you can afford it. If you want an even cheaper option check out the HifimeDIY Sabre

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I just got my Piston 3.0's in the mail today. They sound great, but I'm holding off on a full review until this weekend.

HiResDes

I bought them refurbished off amazon hopefully that means they were given extra attention
If they're in good shape you'll really like them, fairly wide soundstage, good balance, good treble extension...Decent bass quality, though not too much quantity. I wouldn't describe the mids as being very forward, but they're also not too recessed either.

Karish

If they're in good shape you'll really like them, fairly wide soundstage, good balance, good treble extension...Decent bass quality, though not too much quantity. I wouldn't describe the mids as being very forward, but they're also not too recessed either.

Huge fan so far. I do miss my ears being entirely surrounded by pads with the HM5 velours but the UE6000 sounds remarkable. Amazing soundstage for closed back. Playing the Witcher 3 has been completely different with them on.

HiResDes

Huge fan so far. I do miss my ears being entirely surrounded by pads with the HM5 velours but the UE6000 sounds remarkable. Amazing soundstage for closed back. Playing the Witcher 3 has been completely different with them on.

Sorry I didn't think to recommend them before, was just concerned about their build. But I think refurbished ones might actually be better as maybe that's given Logitech a chance to fix their weak points.

I dunno if anybody is interested in studio monitors but Guitar Center has the KRK Rokit5's for $100 a piece all Memorial Weekend I believe.

I stopped by there today to pick up the $50 pair of Alesis Elevate 3 but instead I walked out of there spending $220 instead. Smh lol.

I had those back in the day, very powerful, but my pair were so sensitive to ground noise I couldn't keep them.

Yeah, they seem to emit some kind of hiss/static/noise/whatever when it's not playing anything and you stick your ear by it. The thing has some auto-mute feature though, where if you don't play for anything for a set amount of time the speakers go into sleep mode so that noise does go away. But even then, you'd have to be a dog or something to pick up that sound from a listening distance lol.

I actually had it worse earlier when I either had a bad TRS cable or the speakers doesn't like unbalanced cables as there was severe noise that was disrupting the entire thing. Swapped them with balanced TRS' and they've still got that low noise I'm talking about but it goes away the moment you're listening to something.

One thing I've learned from these speakers though is that you can actually mix stuff with the Sony MDR-V6 headphones... I was going through my old mixes when I only used the V6's and they sound perfectly fine on them. Like there's a couple of issues here and there but the overall mix was alright lol.

Top Bottom