• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo - New Owner Thread

So I finally got Nintendo Switch (took about two hours of driving around) and I have few questions that I can't find a good thread for.

1. Is there a way to find demos easily on the store? Are there region specific demos? I'm waiting for Zelda to be shipped by Gamefly and for a reasonable price on Mario Kart... It would be a good to have something just to mess around.

2. What's your process of connecting it to TV? I think it's actually extremely cumbersome. Taking that controller apart every single time is kind of annoying. Do many people who don't have Pro controller use Switch on TV and as a portable? Or is it more reasonable to stick to one way of using it...

3. Does any USB-C cable work for charging Switch? It doesn't have to be a fast charge, but I can't see myself unplugging the charger every time I want to take Switch with me.

4. It looks like Zelda is the only game that it taking up a lot of hard drive space. Is that correct? I don't see a reason to increase micro SD storage then if I end up using cartridges.

5. Are any of Nintendo things ever on sale? :) Some of the pricing is just ridiculous. Are there cheap E-shop points anywhere?

As a device Switch is kind of great (it's like Vita 2!), but in general I got it because Nintendo convinced me that I will be using it a lot in the future. For now I'm trying to come up with ways to keep myself busy with what is available.

EDIT: The tread was supposed to say Nintendo Switch, but this is also first time I got Nintendo console close to launch, so it's not too wrong :)

Pajamas

Not all games have demos, but the ones that do have a button for it on the games page on the store. Snipperclips and Puyo Puyo Tetris have demos, not sure if any others do at the moment.

Some games can get pretty large for 32gb of storage. Lego City Undercover is over 7gb.

Don't think there's a demo section. There are some region exclusives like this one spelunky type game in japan so you might want to get an account.
Puyo Puyo Tetris has a tremendous demo, go grab that when you can. All regions.
There's one for Just Dance that's also region specific (single song demo...don't bother, imo)
Disgaea and Snipperclips have demos too.

The Pro controller is great if you can get one. Usually keep the switch put together and use the pro for games on the TV. The Pro controller also brings a USBC cable which can be used to charge the Switch. Though I believe any USBC cable should work.

If you're going physical mostly you probably don't need a memory card anytime soon. Might want to wait for a sale or something.

Nintendo games themselves don't go on sale often, no. Don't think there have been any eshop sales yet, but It's probably since the games are fairly new. I usually wait for an offer (15-20% off) on eShop cards and stock up. Went crazy once on Wii U's first year and i grabbed 1k worth of eShop credit which lasted me until last month.

pagrab

I agree on that connecting Switch to TV is very cumbersome. I tried it twice. Never bothered again.

As for the sales - yeah, Nintendo does price cuts. Just don't expect big cuts (they are rare)

Switching between TV and portable was indeed a major pain in the ass until I gave up and bought a Pro controller.

Nintendo is incredibly stingy with e-shop sales, don't hold your breath.

You can indeed charge it with any USB-C charger, even (especially!) portable powerbanks/batteries. The 2A on most cellphone chargers is way lower current than the Switch AC adapter, though, so it will charge quite slowly.

So I finally got Nintendo Switch (took about two hours of driving around) and I have few questions that I can't find a good thread for.

1. Is there a way to find demos easily on the store? Are there region specific demos? I'm waiting for Zelda to be shipped by Gamefly and for a reasonable price on Mario Kart... It would be a good to have something just to mess around.

2. What's your process of connecting it to TV? I think it's actually extremely cumbersome. Taking that controller apart every single time is kind of annoying. Do many people who don't have Pro controller use Switch on TV and as a portable? Or is it more reasonable to stick to one way of using it...

3. Does any USB-C cable work for charging Switch? It doesn't have to be a fast charge, but I can't see myself unplugging the charger every time I want to take Switch with me.

4. It looks like Zelda is the only game that it taking up a lot of hard drive space. Is that correct? I don't see a reason to increase micro SD storage then if I end up using cartridges.

5. Are any of Nintendo things ever on sale? :) Some of the pricing is just ridiculous. Are there cheap E-shop points anywhere?

As a device Switch is kind of great (it's like Vita 2!), but in general I got it because Nintendo convinced me that I will be using it a lot in the future. For now I'm trying to come up with ways to keep myself busy with what is available.

EDIT: The tread was supposed to say Nintendo Switch, but this is also first time I got Nintendo console close to launch, so it's not too wrong :)

There's a news bulletin that was released that has all US demos. I believe there's 5 and they're Snipperclips, Digaea 5, Blaster Master 0, Puyo Puyo Tetris and...... Just dance.

I do the portable/TV thing often. I usually don't mind switching at all. I only have joycons at the moment.

I think only certain ones will actually charge while playing. I believe there was a reliable 15 dollar one on Amazon. I can't remember the name though.

I've bought a ton of smaller games (I'm at 10) and I think I've only used like 3Gigs. Fill up the harddrive then buy the SD card. Once it's in (right now) you can't choose which storage to use.

Doesn't seem like it. But all games you buy will net you gold coins for your MyNintendo account, and eventually Switch games will get discounts by using those gold coins. It's convoluted I know.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag

Not sure I understand number 2?
You don't need to dismantle the joycons to pop it back in teh dock. I swap in and out from TV to handheld a few times a night as we watch TV, just pick it up or put it down...
edit: never mind.. pro controller! ill leave now

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Not all games have demos, but the ones that do have a button for it on the games page on the store. Snipperclips and Puyo Puyo Tetris have demos, not sure if any others do at the moment.

Some games can get pretty large for 32gb of storage. Lego City Undercover is over 7gb.

Blaster Master Zero has a demo as well. There was a News section promo that led to a round-up page on the eShop for all demos in the European region a few weeks back but outside of those types of adhoc News promos there aren't any dedicated eShop curation pages.

Edit: late to the party

1. Don't know. You'll be waiting a long time for a Mario Kart price drop though.
2. Just dump it in the dock and release the joy cons. I don't find it particularly arduous, I get that you do but there's no alternative beyond buying a new controller AFAIK. It takes literally five seconds though
3. Yeah probably. Some people reckon you should be choosy about what power supply you use. I say those people are over cautious.
4. I have loads of digital games, including Zelda, and I'm still using the onboard storage. Eventually, I'll need more but card prices drop all the time so best to wait until you need it
5. Sometimes, for short periods, literally years later. On the plus side they keep their resale value. Some times you can find discounted e-shopm points online.

TheMoon

1) just type DEMO in the search field

2) I use it as both. I just take the joycon off whenever I need to and put them back on when I'm not using it or wanna grab the handheld.

3) dunno

4) various third party games tend to be larger - nintendo is insane with compression/efficiency, their games end up fairly small in general. xenoblade 2 will be huge, for example.

5) there are no sales on Switch yet because the system is new and they don't wanna open the floodgates for the race to the bottom yet. the eShop sales routine will start later. even then, don't expect anything other than 30% discounts on first party stuff max. sign up for MyNintendo(.com), they don't have Switch rewards yet but at some point you'll get exclusive discounts there. It's far from great but occasionally it's okay. But again, no Switch stuff integrated yet.

If a game has a demo, it'll be on its eShop profile page. Snipperclips, Blaster Master Zero, Disgaea 5, and Puyo Puyo Tetris are all games that have demos.

By controller, you mean the joycons? If you don't have a pro controller and you're switching between handheld and docked then, the only way to avoid constantly taking them on and off would be using the stand for tabletop mode. That way the Switch acts as its own screen and you can still use the joycons wirelessly. Of course that's not 100% portable but that's the one other option.

Yeah, any is fine.

I go physical whenever possible but yeah, Zelda uses up around 13 gigs. That's before DLC/patches too.

You can get physical copies from third-party sellers for below MSRP but Nintendo almost never does deep discounts themselves.

molnizzle

Buy a Pro controller.

Oh, and first party Nintendo stuff hardly ever goes on sale. MSRP for New Super Mario Bros. U is still $60.

Modoru

- Certain games have demos, but you have to go into the page and see if that's so. I wouldn't say region-specific demos, but you can access the different region e-shops if you make different region 'accounts' on your switch (e.g. japan, us, etc) to have the entire library at your disposal.

- I mainly use it as a handheld and don't really use the dock much, but I have the dock in a very easily accessible place, so what I do is disconnect the joycons as I'm setting the switch down into the dock. Otherwise just use a pro controller (it's great).

- Yes and no. Any USB-C cord will work, but the adapter you connect to will define how well it'll charge your switch. Most portable chargers/phone chargers that use USB-C don't output nearly the same wattage that the switch demands for the level of charging the stock wall adapter provides. You'd pretty much need the equivalent of a USB-C laptop charger (or another stock charger, which is readily available...) That said, if you connect to a portable battery, it'll at least deplete your battery slower if you're playing while charging (but you'll still be losing charge rather than gaining because of low output).

- Depends on the game. As a previous poster mentioned, Lego City U is 7gigs, and I imagine other games will follow a similar path. Better safe than sorry (and microSDs are rather cheap anyway).

- Best Buy, Target, TRU, etc. occasionally do sales on gift cards, including PSN/XBL/eShop points. Always be on the lookout for those.

Hope this helps.

1. The store is a bit of a mess right now, however if you search "demo" it comes up with all the games that have demos, which is currently only 5 but if you wanted an easy way to browse demos that's it.

2. first of all I preferred using the joycons without the grip so I never really had to take the controller apart, as for taking them off the console I would dock it, push lightly down on one side of the switch so I could take that joycon off without moving the Switch around, then do the same to the other side, once I got a pro controller though I really never take them off except for multiplayer.

3. I have a lot of USB-C cords and have not found any that won't work.

4. pretty much yeah, although keep in mind that save data space is also stored on the system memory, for the most part this isn't a problem as save data is tiny but then you have Minecraft which takes up a whopping 2 GB per account, however Minecraft is the only game I'm aware of taking this much.

5. hahahahaha
:(
Best Buy GCU and Amazon Prime are your friend.

Fireblend

Banned
1. I thought you could search for games with demos by searching for "demo" on the store? Check out Puyo Puyo's and Master Blaster's.

2. Connect to dock. Detach controllers.

3. Yes

4. Sure? depends on the amount of games you plan on owning digitally I guess.

5. No, they're never on sale. You'll enjoy your 5% discounts in 2 years and you'll like them.

The Goat

Congrats! The Switch has been great so far. For me, Mario Kart was worth the price of admission, as I played Zelda on the Wii U.

I'm not sure what trouble you are having with hooking to the TV. It's pretty straight forward and about as easy as it can be. I do use a pro controller 90% of the time, as it's infinitely more comfortable that the joy cons in any configuration.

I've went all in on digital this console gen, and Switch is no different. Get as large of micro SD card as you can afford. I have a feeling you'll need it eventually.

USB-C cable of any make works fine.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
For demos, if you use the game store on Nintendo.com there's a "has a demo" filter you can easily toggle on. They'll download to your Switch automatically once "purchased."

For charging, an A-to-C cable I have barely did anything at all. The C-to-C charger that came with my Pixel, however, works just as well as the Switch charger. So in general, C cable that runs to AC adapter is ideal.

1. Search "demo." I'm keeping a list of demos and their regional availability here though, if you need somewhere to quickly see what there is.

2.I just use the Joy-Cons, they slide out very easily and they're honestly my preferred method of playing. The Pro controller seems pretty meh to me.

3. Any proper USB-C cable should work, but most will take WAY longer than docking the Switch as they don't deliver as much juice.

4. lol, no. There are other big games, but Zelda is the biggest right now AFAIK. That said, I'm keeping a list of announced games which includes sizes for all released (and some unreleased) games here.

5. On the eShop? Not anything Switch yet. I've seen deals on physicals and few $10 off deals for eShop currency, but nothing directly on their digital store.

As others have pointed out, you can download demos for Snipperclips, Disgaea 5, Blaster Master Zero, Just Dance, and Puyo Puyo Tetris. I think I put in at least 5-7 hours on the Puyo Puyo Tetris demo alone before I decided the developers had earned my money. You can also search for demos using the eShop search bar.

Honest to god, if you've ever been into Mario Kart, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is a tremendous value even at full price.

I do have a Pro Controller (and a second pair of Joy-Con), but I only really use it for Mario Kart right now.

I usually pop the Joy-Con off and start playing. I'd say about 50% of my Switch time is portable, too, so I'm switching pretty frequently. I do wish they slipped off a little easier, but I'll take what we've got rather than risk them coming off too easily.

Any cable will work, but you're going to want a charger that delivers the same voltage as the official one for the best results.

Nintendo is really good about getting a lot of mileage out of storage space in their first-party games. If you end up buying a bunch of DLC it'll stack up though.

I've heard a lot of people express how great it is to go digital, but because I'm gonna be a two-Switch household I'm hesitant since you can't share digital games.

There won't be any sales until way later in the system's life, when there are more titles in its library and Nintendo isn't relying as much on sales of the core titles that are already there.

They will go on sale from time to time, but don't expect much more than a 10-20% discount, and it's possible that they'll never release a budget line.

sensui-tomo

nintendo has deals on their first party titles rarely and its usually either best buy or target (in usa) that have the best deals and that happens around october/november with their b2g1/ whatever odd deal they have, dont expect mario kart to go on sale until the next MK is out.

This is very helpful. I guess I will be getting Pro Controller for convenience... Still can't decide on Mario Kart. I've enjoyed them in the past, but not a huge fan. 60 seems a bit much.

jts

...hate me...
This is very helpful. I guess I will be getting Pro Controller for convenience... Still can't decide on Mario Kart. I've enjoyed them in the past, but not a huge fan. 60 seems a bit much.

If you wanna go digital you can get it for about 52-53 USD from amazon japan (eShop code).

Not huge savings, but still.

DrBo42

Picked up a neon yesterday with Zelda. Out of state on business and ended up downloading Snipperclips, Mario Kart and Thumper to play with co-workers I'm rooming with.

Snipperclips was hilarious. The very short time it takes for people to turn on each other and just start aggressively snipping at their bodies is fascinating. Mario Kart is still downloading since our wifi is garbage but I imagine that'll be good.

Outside of Zelda, Thumper is my favorite. Nice atmospheric rhythm game with a super aggressive industrial type of soundtrack/vibe. Trippy and a nice difficulty curve.

Overall rather pleased with the console outside of the charger/stand design choice and the non-glass high-gloss screen. Feels pretty good at a $299 price point. Only going to get better with the library and price drops. Hopefully a nice redesign comes in a year or two.

Answers in bold.

There's a filter option but I'm not sure it can be used to filter demos. On the European eShop though, the game's banner image has a "demo available" stamp to look for.

I use the dock, you get faster at detaching the Joy-Con every time you do it, so I'd try doing that at first before splashing out on a Pro Controller or second set of Joy-Con controllers

Yes, but to be safe I'd go with a USB-C to USB-C cable because the power delivery is guaranteed to be safe for your device. There have been incidents with laptops where USB-C to USB-A cables deliver the wrong power.

Switch games don't have installs, and patch sizes have thankfully been small. So the physical copy of Zelda that you bought will have a slim footprint. I wouldn't invest in a microSD until you've used most the system storage.

Nintendo does run eShop sales from time to time but discounts on their own games are often slim until they get reprints under the "Selects" banner. Third parties like Atlus, THQ Nordic, Capcom, and Ubisoft tend to slash digital prices heavily when their games go on sale on 3DS and Wii U. There's yet to be a sale on the Switch eShop so we'll have to wait and see what the approach is there.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

1 No and yes
2 hdmi
3 no
4 no
5 yes

Jessensor

This is my first Nintendo console ever and it's been such a fantastic experience so far.

As mentioned, searching for DEMO will work but may not find demos in other regions.

I bought a USB-C cable that didn't work, had to get another. Make sure it's a high quality cable.

Games don't have to be too big to take up a big chunk of internal storage. I think MK8D is bigger than 8gbs. I would get an SD card just to put storage out of mind.

Docking is really easy for me. In one motion you can clip out the joycons as you slide the system into the dock. I would suggest applying some felt on the inside of your dock to avoid scratching.

Enjoy OP!

Pachimari

I haven't experienced it being hard going between portable and docking. I don't know why it has been cumbersome for some in here but it's been an extremely fluid experience here.

Quasar

So mine is on the way, and I'm wondering about screen protectors and travel bags.

Is there an obviously better protector? had been looking at the Anker and amFilm glass ones.

So mine is on the way, and I'm wondering about screen protectors and travel bags.

Is there an obviously better protector? had been looking at the Anker and amFilm glass ones.

I have the Orzly. That and amFilm are generally considered the best out there. Not sure about Anker.

weekev

Banned
I have 2 sets of joycons so my process for switching to TV from portable is real easy. That being said I don't think it's that much harder to just slip the joycons off of the Switch. You know there's a release button on each joycon?

Wollan

Receiving my Nintendo Switch day after tomorrow (Neon Red/Blue). Eating a bit of crow as I was (and still am) not impressed with its price and various flaws but that Zelda + Mario quality duo guarantees my entertainment. I would say having a third desirable game in Mario + Rabbids Xcom year one might have been the final push.

Neiteio

Nothing cumbersome about taking off the joycons. Just walk up to your docked Switch; put one hand on Switch and other on Joycon back button; and pull.

HotHamBoy

Eshop sales are mega garbage.

Expect very few first party sales, especially before the holidays, and expect the discounts to be meager.

First party games also hold their MSRP for years.

New Super Mario Bros. U was a Wii U launch game and it's still $60.

Hell, Mario Kart 8 is still $60 on Wii U and you can get it with all the DLC plus exclusive new content on Switch for the same price.

ramparter

Banned
???

I'm saying it's easy to attach and detach the joycons.

I think he agred with you and the second sentence was addressing the OP.

Anyway OP since others answered your questions I'll just say dont expect cheap Nintendo games especially on the eShop. Maybe some titles like 1 2 Switch will get cheaper physical eventually, but other like MK8 no way.

fade_

Just got mine as well, is there a consensus on the best way to protect the screen from docking scratches?

I haven't experienced it being hard going between portable and docking. I don't know why it has been cumbersome for some in here but it's been an extremely fluid experience here.

Nothing cumbersome about taking off the joycons. Just walk up to your docked Switch; put one hand on Switch and other on Joycon back button; and pull.

Are you serious? Like are you THAT lazy?

I think he agred with you and the second sentence was addressing the OP.

Anyway OP since others answered your questions I'll just say dont expect cheap Nintendo games especially on the eShop. Maybe some titles like 1 2 Switch will get cheaper physical eventually, but other like MK8 no way.

I think you guys are out of your mind. Now that I used Switch for few days I can say with confidence that taking off and reattaching joycons is extremely cumbersome. The worst part about it is Switch is not attached to the dock, so when you pull you also need to hold the Switch and the dock. And then I always mix them up and can't fit them quite right. It should be mindless process, so I'm definitely getting Pro controller.

Top Bottom