• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have cheap digital games changed what you consider to be a 'good price' for a game?

The price I'm willing to pay takes into consideration the convenience of digital purchases, balanced with the knowledge that on many of the services I don't really own the games.

That generally tops out at around £20 for me, although I'll pay more if something really appeals to me. Last year i paid full price for Overwatch and Hitman.

Yes.

But I actually think stuff like Steam sales, for me personally, have negative repercussions.

Because I get good games for so cheap, I feel like it lowers my accountability (remorse?) to actually play them.

I don't ever pay $60 for games, but i certainly have to believe that the more I pay for a given title the more onus I feel to actually play it.

So maybe it's good but maybe it's bad? Not sure...

Paragon

Back when I was buying physical games, I would be finishing them within a week and getting 2/3~3/4 of what I paid back on a gift card by trading it in before the trade-in value dropped.
I rarely ever bought games at full price with cash on day 1.

Even with some of the deals that you get with on like cdkeys.com or GreenManGaming, I'm still paying more out of pocket for digital games on day 1 than I used to, and often have to wait for sales before I can think about buying them - especially when you don't have the ability to refund games unless you buy them directly on Steam.

When you consider the loss of rights that you have when you buy digital games - the lack of an ability to loan, borrow, gift, or resell games - I would argue that a digital copy of the game has less intrinsic value than a physical copy ever did.

I'm probably buying and playing less games now than I used to, because I'm having to wait for sales instead of being able to sell/trade old games to pay for new ones.

With the following programs and sales, I have learned to wait for games, even for AAA titles. I'm no longer that guy that MUST have the latest game NOW.

Best Buy Gamer Club Unlock
Xbox Spring and Summer Sales
Xbox Weekly deals.
I think there's also some December countdown to Christmas sale.

The only time I purchase day one is when it comes to a multiplayer game. Story based game, there's no rush and I'm not the guy that watches videos and then self-spoil the plot and outcome.

The majority of my games are digital, so maybe that's why I hold back on buying the new game. I do buy some select games in physical form, but I no longer have that need to have that fuzzy, ownership feeling when it comes to physical games. I'll buy a physical game, play it once, and it's gone via a trade.

Voidwolf

Yup, especially after building my PC several years ago. I used to buy quite a few games at full price on release day, now I mostly just work on my backlog until a good sale pops up. Although GMG and CDKeys occasionally put out some crazy pre-order discounts. Getting Prey for $37 on release was amazing, especially considering how fantastic the game is and how much replayability it offers.

Top Bottom