• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HDMI 2.1 spec released, resolution up to 10k, dynamic HDR, variable refresh rate

llien

HDMI Specification 2.1 Features Include:

• Higher video resolutions support a range of high resolutions and faster refresh rates including 8K60Hz and 4K120Hz for immersive viewing and smooth fast-action detail. Resolutions up to 10K are also supported for commercial AV, and industrial and specialty usages.
  • Dynamic HDR support ensures every moment of a video is displayed at its ideal values for depth, detail, brightness, contrast and wider color gamuts—on a scene-by-scene or even a frame-byframe basis.
  • The Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable supports the 48G bandwidth for uncompressed HDMI 2.1 feature support. The cable also features very low EMI emission and is backwards compatible with earlier versions of the HDMI Specification and can be used with existing HDMI devices.
  • eARC simplifies connectivity, provides greater ease of use, and supports the most advanced audio formats and highest audio quality. It ensures full compatibility between audio devices and upcoming HDMI 2.1 products.
  • Enhanced refresh rate features ensure an added level of smooth and seamless motion and transitions for gaming, movies and video. They include:
    • Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) reduces or eliminates lag, stutter and frame tearing for more fluid and better detailed gameplay.
    • Quick Media Switching (QMS) for movies and video eliminates the delay that can result in blank screens before content is displayed.
    • Quick Frame Transport (QFT) reduces latency for smoother no-lag gaming, and real-time interactive virtual reality.
  • Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) allows the ideal latency setting to automatically be set allowing
    for smooth, lag-free and uninterrupted viewing and interactivity.

Slides

HDMI-21-Final-Specifications-3.jpg

HDMI-21-Final-Specifications-8.jpg

HDMI-21-Final-Specifications-26.jpg

HDMI-21-Final-Specifications-27.jpg

FeatureSupport.png

The HDMI 2.1 Compliance Test Specification (CTS) will be published in stages during Q1-Q3 2018, and HDMI adopters will be notified when it is available.

I'd speculate that Variable Refresh Rate is close, if not identical, to what AMD was pushing.

Source (videocardz)

amdb00mer

Nice to finally see these specs. Probably be at least 1 to 2 years before we get a TV that can support all of these features. Well at least at an affordable price.

Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) allows the ideal latency setting to automatically be set allowing
for smooth, lag-free and uninterrupted viewing and interactivity.
I'm curious to see how this will affect image quality.

tkscz

At this point, HDMI has taken over from Display port, especially considering it can be used as Ethernet and transfers audio.

Shane89

Nice to finally see these specs. Probably be at least 1 to 2 years before we get a TV that can support all of these features. Well at least at an affordable price.

I'm curious to see how this will affect image quality.

1-2 years for 10k?

maybe you meant 4-5 years lol

Anony

on a semi related note:

anyone else hate displayport?
I hate how turning off the monitor when connected via dp on windows completely disconnects the monitor from the system
terrible especially for multimonitor set ups

the faster hdmi overtakes dp, specs wise, the better

Venuspower

Time to get an OLED television in 2018.
I hope Yamaha and so on will release updated AV Receivers at the same time.

bevishead

Neo Member
Will next year's 4k models all have 2.1 ports? Looks like I will need to wait at least another year for the 65" set I really want.

CES is here in January and while the show floor models of some new UHD TVs will likely not have a finished version of HDMI 2.1, most of the high and some medium end TVs will have at least a prototype version of HDMI 2.1. Once these TVs are put into production, i see no reason for them not to have HDMI 2.1.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Probably a dumb question but the new Xbox X supports this or I should say will support this with a firmware update correct?

Probably a dumb question but the new Xbox X supports this or I should say will support this with a firmware update correct?

Firmware update, though there is still a question if it will have the full 2.1 Spec or only portions of it. Over 60Hz would be nice, but the important bits are VRR and 4k + HDR using 4:4:4 10bit. I have yet to find a tear down with high resolution pictures where the HDMI retimer can be identified, if anyone has found one it would nice to see.

notacat

hmm, 4-8K and HDR at 120hz? sweet.

Gimme a variable framerate 120hz 4K tv with it! So long as the next gen consoles both support the feature of course.

CKB3375

Hmm......does this mean I’ll have to get a new receiver as well if I want to take advantage of HDMI 2.1 when the new OLEDs come out next year?

Hmm......does this mean I’ll have to get a new receiver as well if I want to take advantage of HDMI 2.1 when the new OLEDs come out next year?

You could plug all of your devices directly into your TV and then run a single HDMI from the TV's HDMI ARC port to your receiver. That way you can just use your TV to switch inputs.

KPunk

Will next year's 4k models all have 2.1 ports? Looks like I will need to wait at least another year for the 65" set I really want.

By the time you decide which TV specs you want next year or two, something else will be out.....technology you cant ever "wait" things move too fast.

amdb00mer

1-2 years for 10k?

maybe you meant 4-5 years lol

Not 10K per say, but all the other features. There are already 8K pc monitors set to release next year that were shown off at this year's CES show. Not too much of a stretch to see a 10K prototype at this year's CES, but as you stated probably won't be out for a few more years.

amdb00mer

Most features, but obviously not the 8K and 10K. I think Digital Foundry is waiting for the update and some compatible games so they can test out the Freesync and VRR to see how well it works on the X. Of course for the VRR that will take longer as I don't know of any monitors or TVs that support it now or ever will with a firmware update.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
By the time you decide which TV specs you want next year or two, something else will be out.....technology you cant ever "wait" things move too fast.
That is not really true.
It was worth waiting when bluray/hddvd was a thing.

thelastword

Banned
Great, can't wait to run some 4k 60fps titles (multiplats) and 8k 60fps indies next gen...

Games like Quake Champions, should run at 4k 120fps on next gen consoles too...

Venuspower

Hmm......does this mean I'll have to get a new receiver as well if I want to take advantage of HDMI 2.1 when the new OLEDs come out next year?

Probably yes.
Chances are pretty low that 2017, 2016 (and so on) models are capable of that high bandwidth. But it is possible for manufacturers to update some features to older devices. For example dynamic HDR. But that does not mean that they are going to do this.

Maybe some high end AV-Receivers from late 2017 are capable of that higher bandwidth (simply because they were developed with HDMI 2.1 in mind) or maybe manufacturers will provide new HDMI 2.1 boards for these high end devices.

In other words:
- If you want to take full advantage of the new standard you need a new AV-Receiver.
- If you only want to use some minor features (e.g. dynamic HDR) it can be possible that your old HDMI 2.0a/b AV-Receiver will receive an update. Maybe we should call this this circumstance HDMI 2.1 Lite. In that case you do not necessarily need a new receiver. If the manufacturer does not provide your AVR with an update you need a new receiver.

Bickle2

Probably yes.
Chances are pretty low that 2017, 2016 (and so on) models are capable of that high bandwidth. But it is possible for manufacturers to update some features for older devices. For example dynamic HDR. But that does not mean that they are going to do this.

Maybe some high end AV-Receivers from late 2017 are capable of that higher bandwidth (simply because they were developed with HDMI 2.1 in mind) or maybe manufacturers will provide new HDMI 2.1 boards for these high end devices.

In other words:
- If you want to take full advantage of the new standard you need a new AV-Receiver.
- If you only want to use some minor features (e.g. dynamic HDR) it can be possible that your old HDMI 2.0a/b AV-Receiver will receive an update. In that case you do not need a new receiver. If the manufacturer does not provide your AVR with an update you need a new receiver.

Many high end devices come with an audio only secondary port for this reason. While some do have replaceable HDMI interfaces, it’s not something you can firmware update. It requires new transceivers, which no one would be making prior to spec lockdown

Venuspower

Many high end devices come with an audio only secondary port for this reason. While some do have replaceable HDMI interfaces, it's not something you can firmware update. It requires new transceivers, which no one would be making prior to spec lockdown

Devices that have a audio only port are Blu-Ray players in most cases. If I am right every UHD player supports audio-only on the secondary port-
But I never saw a console, FireTV and so on with an audio-only port.
Usually you have more devices connected to an AV-Receiver.

If you only want to use a BluRay player you are fine. But with other devices without audio-only port. ^__^

does Xbox One X support this? or should i wait for revision?
In theory it should be capable of HDMI 2.1 (thats what people from MS are saying). But it needs to be certified first. Until then it does not support the new HDMI standard.
But the question is: Will the One X support all features or only a few.

shpankey

not an idiot
I can't wait until the day that we get to watch sports live at 4k (or 8k) at 120hz with a 120fps camera's capturing the action with 12bit color displays for in home viewing. I imagine we are at least a decade away from it, but it will be glorious indeed!

Bickle2

Devices that have a audio only port are Blu-Ray players in most cases. If I am right every UHD player supports audio-only on the secondary port-
But I never saw a console, FireTV and so on with an audio-only port.
Usually you have more devices connected to an AV-Receiver.

If you only want to use a BluRay player you are fine. But with other devices without audio-only port. ^__^

In theory it should be capable of HDMI 2.1 (thats what people from MS are saying). But it needs to be certified first. Until then it does not support the new HDMI standard.
But the question is: Will the One X support all features or only a few.

Well, that’s because the people who care about such things are movie enthusiasts. Consoles are cost conscious (and before anyone asks, no, the hdmi in cannot be reconfigured on Xbox)

You can also get a repeater to split the signal.

If your receiver supports ARC you can do it that way.

Additional ports can be added to PC if necessary, but most GPUs support multiple active ports, even if you have to convert a DP to HDMI.

The audience outside of the A/V enthusiast crowd just isn’t there enough to warrant the expense.

J-Rzez

Maximum cable runs of 2-3m (6-9')? Good luck with that. Unless powered? Good luck consumers paying out the are for that with cert standards. 48gbps HDMI cables after people just bought 18+ now?

I doubt 2018 Tvs will have this considering how late we got the specs. New models will be in production in Dec/Jan/Feb for spring release.

Good luck explaining this to the consumer, why they had to upgrade TWICE this gen of 4k Tvs and now again. HDMI consortium really screwing over the consumer, and manufacturers.

MultiCore

Gives me a good reason to keep holding out for a better TV/monitor.

I'm ok with powered cables though. Redmere cables already exist, shouldn't be much more expensive than those.

Top Bottom