• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii/PS3/Kinect homebrewer rumor: Durango CPU clocked at 1.6ghz.

In reference to a question Marcan got on the Wii U's CPU clock at 1.25ghz...

Marcan said:
If you want more evidence that MHz isn't everything, a little birdie points out that Durango (Xbox 720) is specc'ed to have a 1.6GHz CPU.

Food for thought. (And don't bother asking me who that little birdie is.)

Marcan is one of the key members of failoverflow and a lead hacker in the Wii/Wii U scene. He apparently has some sources in the know, aside from confirming the exact specs of the Wii U himself through hacking means.

Lock if old, I did a quick search and came up with nothing... but the tweet is 14 hours old so I wouldn't be surprised if I missed something.

(edit) Whoops, forgot to put the source. https://twitter.com/marcan42

(edit 2) Some clarification edits.

What's the Mhz of the PS3 and 360's CPU again?

Edit: Answered above.

Ahem...

Why would you make the CPU weaker than your own last console!?

Unless it has more threads or cores or whatnot, but in raw numbers, that to me is unheard of, but I'm no expert so...

deviljho

2204169070_f05601eaa2.jpg

Quoting myself, from the other thread:

Yeah, people forget that technology advancement is more important than Ghz. The first processors to get to 3Ghz were the P4. That was back in 2002 IIRC. 10 years later, how further have we gone? 4Ghz? But if you compare the 22nm microarchitecture of today with the 130nm of that time you know what happens.

Also,

Believe it has three CPUs (each dual core) at 3.2ghz.

It's actually one CPU, with 3 cores, running at 3.2Ghz, each one capable of two threads.

Orayn

What's the Mhz of the PS3 and 360's CPU again?

Edit: Answered above.

Ahem...

Why would you make the CPU weaker than your own last console!?

Unless it has more threads or cores or whatnot, but in raw numbers, that to me is unheard of, but I'm no expert so...

You are definitely not an expert. CPU architecture is more than clock speed and number of cores.

THE:MILKMAN

I posted that in the Wii U thread earlier.

And most of the responses in this thread so far is why I didn't post it as a new topic.

No mention of cores or architecture... Obviously MHZ/GHZ isn't everything, that was Marcan's entire point in mentioning it in relation to the Wii U. Real question is, are all next gen systems ditching the high power CPUs? Wouldn't surprise me... more and more can be offset onto the GPU... Even if the CPU is only 30% faster than a Wii U (not just mhz wise, but actually only 30% faster overall) but the GPU is 3-5x stronger than the Wii U's the results would still be staggering.

TheD

The Detective
What arch?

Because most x86 CPUs from AMD or Intel are a lot faster clock for clock than xenon or the WiiU CPU (bar the atom), if it is something like Intel's main CPU line then it would murder them.

Arklite

Even out of context it sounds too conservative for MSoft and the next Xbox. Not denying it but I wouldn't place any bets on that.

SRTtoZ

this thread makes no sense.

1) Rumor

2) how many cores/threads?

Its all meaningless unless you know that info.

My processor is 2.3ghz, OH NO, so bad right? Oh wait, its an ivy bridge i7.

You realize without this info, this means nothing. right?

Err yes, I know without that the information means nothing. I didn't make the thread to "prove a point". I merely posted what a prominent person in the hardware hacking business said. New news = New thread.

(edit) Dynamite: he's a general hardware hacker, he's working on iphone, PS3, wii, and Wii U. He also knows a lot of people in the industry. It's, of course, possible his information is wrong. Hence the "rumor" tag on the thread, but he's likely to have more accurate information than, say, Prachter or other analysts.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Mhz doesn't mean shit across different architectures.

Compare a 3.8ghz Pentium 4 to an Ivy Bridge i7 at 3.5ghz in an application that only uses a single core. The Ivy Bridge will utterly smoke it.

Top Bottom