• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Target put up a page for Bethesda: Game of Thrones

Assuming it's real, who do you think is making this?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zemm

the terrible animations of a bethesda game would match up very well with the wooden acting of most of the characters though, so they have that in their favour

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Bethesda seems like a perfect fit for a story heavy franchise.
"-I was locked in this....medieval fridge for 100 years, thank you for saving me Jon Snow
-SNOW problem young friend!"

Braag

CDPR would be the better option for ASoIaF game. I just can't see Bethesda doing justice to it, with their writing especially..

I don't see how BGS and ASoIAF mesh together. I'm not talking about the technical aspects (but, yes, I do expect something from the scale of ASoIAF to be at the cutting edge of gaming technology, if it's made in a big way, but I can live with it not being), but just the essence of the two sides are different. BGS excel at making fun exploration, but writing is their very weak, weak spot. ASoIAF was loved on merit of its clever writing, the politics, the characters, the dialogues. These are things BGS is notoriously bad for. Why mix one with the other? Because they're both big names?

If it's BGS with this property, it makes no sense to me. If it's some other studio under the publisher, then maybe.

jem0208

If they aren't setting the game during the events leading up to and during Robert's Rebellion, they're doing it wrong. That time period has a shit load of characters we care about and would be a great setting for a game.

Edit: I am hijacking my own post to feverishly gush over my own GoT vidja game pitch.

My pie-in-the-sky dream GoT game would be set before, during and after the rebellion taking place across the entire continent of Westeros sans perhaps north of the wall.

Imagine if the player character was a bastard born in one of the nine major regions (North, Vale, Iron Islands, Riverlands, Crownlands, Stormlands, Reach, Westerlands, Dorne), with the player choosing where they want their character to be from and which house they serve. They story at the beginning would differ depending on where you start from, but all 9 paths would mostly follow the same beats: the tourney at Harrenhal, battle of Ashford, The Trident, sack of King's Landing etc.

Your ultimate goal is to assist your liege lord in either defending the crown (Targaryen, Lannister, Tyrell, Martell), overthrowing the crown (Baratheon, Stark, Tully, Arryn) or take advantage of the chaos and reave where you please (Greyjoy).

Your skill tree could have 9 branches: Father, Mother, Maiden, Smith, Crone, Warrior, Stranger, The Old Gods and The Drowned God.

NPC's refer to you by your bastard surname (Snow, Stone, Pyke, Rivers, Waters, Storm, Flowers, Hill or Sand) for maximum immersion

Side quest potential is enormous here:
-Recruit/capture potential brothers for The Night's Watch
-take care of The Smiling Knight
-find all of the Weirwoods in Westeros to see visions of the past and future
-beat back Hill Tribesmen in The Vale
-investigate reports of a Faceless Man sighted in Westeros
-investigate an underground cult of religious fanatics called "Sparrows", join or destroy them
-fuck all the whores in Westeros and "make the 8"
-study at The Citadel in Oldtown like a nerd
-assist the head of customs in Gulltown with shady dealings (some dude named Petyr? Seems trustworthy)
-go to Gin Alley in King's Landing and give Karl Fookin' Tanner 6 silvers to kill a man

EZ DLC MONEY:

Greyjoy Rebellion DLC
"Beyond The Wall" expansion (Bronn mentioned he's been north of the wall before, get him in there)

Where's my check GRRM
All of this.

Please.

carlsojo

If they aren't setting the game during the events leading up to and during Robert's Rebellion, they're doing it wrong. That time period has a shit load of characters we care about and would be a great setting for a game.

Edit: I am hijacking my own post to feverishly gush over my own GoT vidja game pitch.

My pie-in-the-sky dream GoT game would be set before, during and after the rebellion taking place across the entire continent of Westeros sans perhaps north of the wall.

Imagine if the player character was a bastard born in one of the nine major regions (North, Vale, Iron Islands, Riverlands, Crownlands, Stormlands, Reach, Westerlands, Dorne), with the player choosing where they want their character to be from and which house they serve. They story at the beginning would differ depending on where you start from, but all 9 paths would mostly follow the same beats: the tourney at Harrenhal, battle of Ashford, The Trident, sack of King's Landing etc.

Your ultimate goal is to assist your liege lord in either defending the crown (Targaryen, Lannister, Tyrell, Martell), overthrowing the crown (Baratheon, Stark, Tully, Arryn) or take advantage of the chaos and reave where you please (Greyjoy).

Your skill tree could have 9 branches: Father, Mother, Maiden, Smith, Crone, Warrior, Stranger, The Old Gods and The Drowned God.

NPC's refer to you by your bastard surname (Snow, Stone, Pyke, Rivers, Waters, Storm, Flowers, Hill or Sand) for maximum immersion

-investigate an underground cult of religious fanatics called "Sparrows", join or destroy them
-assist the head of customs in Gulltown with shady dealings (some dude named Petyr? Seems trustworthy)
-go to Gin Alley in King's Landing and give Karl Fookin' Tanner 6 silvers to kill a man

EZ DLC MONEY:

Greyjoy Rebellion DLC
"Beyond The Wall" expansion (Bronn mentioned he's been north of the wall before, get him in there)

Where's my check GRRM

Forge your own Valyrian steel sword.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I would like a GoT game with a Dark Souls like battle system set during Robert's rebellion that culminates with Robert vs Rhaegar

UV-6

:puke:

A Bethesda game that will probably have janky animations, bugs galore and shit fps.

No thank you. Please don't touch GoT

Bethesda? They seem like the wrong match for a game that needs strong storytelling.

You know, as much as I would normally agree, I almost think this is the proper way to go about it.

You look at Game of Thrones and say, "This is a great story that's built around narration, character acting, and drama. A game about it should have those as the cornerstones." I get that. That's normal, that's natural.

The problem is, Game of Thrones already has those things. It already has tons of world-building. The world is already thoroughly populated with great characters. This is the problem TellTale ran into: when you're working in a narrative that's so firmly established, doing what amounts to licensed fan-fiction, the restrictions on what you can do with the world and characters are frankly too great. If the original author was doing their job, the interesting stories of the setting were already being told, right?

I actually think this is a setting where you just want a very narrative-light, sandboxy, "Go enjoy being in the world of Westeros" type game, rather than some sprawling narrative epic.

For comparison, look at Shadows of Mordor. The story is not good. The characters are not very interesting. And you know what? That's fine, because I just really want to run around Middle Earth beating the shit out of orcs, not read the developer's Z-tier Lord of the Rings fan-fiction.

CloudWolf

EZ DLC MONEY:

Greyjoy Rebellion DLC

Where's my check GRRM
The problem with this is that a game like this would have to be on a scale that currently can't really be done in gaming. This concept would require you to be able to travel an entire continent the size of South America.

The other Game of Thrones RPG solved this by having the different locales being smaller, contained levels which you could freely travel between, but I imagine that a 2017/2018 AAA title using this mechanic would piss off a lot of people.

CloudWolf

So I was watching this video

https://youtu.be/S4BfsLwX-Z4

And he's talking about how Game of Thrones will have one more season after this and likely not until 2019. I sure hope that doesn't mean 2019 release for BGS's next game though.
I have no idea where this narrative that Game of Thrones season 8 will premiere in 2019 comes from. GoT S8 will release next year, HBO would be stupid to make people wait more than one year for 6 episodes.

pitchfork

I'm in for having Brienne as a follower.
I want to make great big monster babies with her.

brienne-gif.gif

Xiao Hu

Has this game been confirmed or hinted before?

I'd love to dive in. Usually love Bethesda games.

Months or so ago a self-proclaimed leaker at Bethesda claimed that there was a GoT game in development at Bethesda. His other claims got busted at E3 tho (don't remember the exact details).

It could simply be published by Bethesda, in which case it's anybody's guess as to who the developer is. I'll be really surprised if this is BGS next big game instead of Elder Scrolls, but I'm gonna bet it'll be Beth publishing. Personally I ain't a fan of GoT and we've already got the Telltale game, do we really need more? lol

You know, as much as I would normally agree, I almost think this is the proper way to go about it.

You look at Game of Thrones and say, "This is a great story that's built around narration, character acting, and drama. A game about it should have those as the cornerstones." I get that. That's normal, that's natural.

The problem is, Game of Thrones already has those things. It already has tons of world-building. The world is already thoroughly populated with great characters. This is the problem TellTale ran into: when you're working in a narrative that's so firmly established, doing what amounts to licensed fan-fiction, the restrictions on what you can do with the world and characters are frankly too great. If the original author was doing their job, the interesting stories of the setting were already being told, right?

I actually think this is a setting where you just want a very narrative-light, sandboxy, "Go enjoy being in the world of Westeros" type game, rather than some sprawling narrative epic.

For comparison, look at Shadows of Mordor. The story is not good. The characters are not very interesting. And you know what? That's fine, because I just really want to run around Middle Earth beating the shit out of orcs, not read the developer's Z-tier Lord of the Rings fan-fiction.

Agreed. I didn't give a solitary fuck about the characters in Telltale's GoT because I knew nothing they did really mattered.

Ubisoft would do a hell of a better job at it than Bethesda imo.

Great open world ✔
Awesome Naval battles ✔
Scenarios that not always suck(Ezio's story in particular) ✔
Jon and some wildlings could climb the wall like ninjas ✔
Interesting combat ✔
(the next AC game is a big step up from what we've had so far, well a great step forward at least. Hell I could potentially see a For Honor type of gameplay being ridiculously cool in a GOT game, making those fights seem more personal and realistic in a way where one or two good strikes could swing right through a enemy before you go to the next one.)

I'm just majorly disapointed with the developpers being Bethesda to be honest, they do make great looking games, but the gameplay is total crap. Y'all remember that melee in Skyrim? Horrific.

Like it's not hard to do this right. Quite literally just make it Crusader Kings with more flair for the events and a little more depth than vanilla CK2.

Of course it'll be a terrible first person RPG instead but hey. I can punch Ramsay Snow for three hours I guess.

Nairume

Banned
Like it's not hard to do this right. Quite literally just make it Crusader Kings with more flair for the events and a little more depth than vanilla CK2.

Of course it'll be a terrible first person RPG instead but hey. I can punch Ramsay Snow for three hours I guess.
Honestly, I'd argue that Mount & Blade is even more perfect for it than CK.

Galang

Banned
Just give us an Assassins Creed spin-off where we can be the best character Arya and I'll pay 300 for it. Don't see the problem with Bethesda, lots of developers would be a good fit for GoT with the right pitch. I really don't care much about the writing for a game that already has books and an entire series already. Just let me play in the world..

Game of Thrones doesn't seem like it would translate very well into a game franchise.

The heck? There's literally endless possibilities. Games can be made from any concept. GoT is easy by comparison. There's loads of content that can be used...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom