• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 PC Bullshot thread of "1 FPS? That's 1 screenshot per second"

ref

pcars2013-02-2222-06-t3f74.png

I really wish I had bought access when I could to pcars... absolutely incredible. The rain and reflections are just amazing.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Great shots so far guys some of those look absolutely amazing.

Some clarifications :

Please stick to pictures with a width of 1920 pixels ( I saw someone mention that "it's a shame 16:10 isn't supported" don't know if this was in response to the thread or a particular game but ANY aspect ratio - within reason - is supported as long as the width is 1920x )

Why? Because it's nice to have a set standard resolution, if it was 1600x900 then a lot of detail is getting lost since I assume the majority of posters will downsample and downsampling is subject to not only diminishing returns but also creating a more aliased image the further you go. If it was 3840x2160 then only those with that custom res could post and since none of us here has a 4k monitor yet then that would mean each and every one of us have to scroll like a madman only to 'bask' in the shot one quarter of the screen at a time. So 1920x1080/1200/817 it is.

On emulators, as someone who has his own dolphin rig setup I appreciate the looks of high IQ emulator shots, problem is consistency. I know far too well how cumbersome it can be to remove huds because it sure as hell ain't as easy as on pc, and if you're stuck with that 12x12 texture blown up to inifnity on a high res screen then... well that just looks awful.

On performance, the whole "1fps" bit is obviously a joke, if you got 120 fps playing a game at 4k and max resolution that shouldn't stop you for posting the screens, that just means that you either have some headroom to crank some settings both internally or externally or running quad-sli titans on LN ;p.

On no-Hud, creating this thread I had a wish that it would turn into a collage of the of the best shots GAF has to offer, a kind of wallpaper gallery if you will. While it can be difficult to determine what counts as a minimal hud rest assured that it doesn't involve half a dozen hud elements. If you got a game that you can't remove the HUD in regardless of console commands or modding then maybe that shot is more suitable for the OG HR thread. As I clearly stated this thread isn't meant to replace the regular HR thread( and I mean that in all ways you can think of ) so there's a place for any screenshot.

Follow the handful of rules for the sake of format, consistency and a hint of quality control. It's not that hard. You can belittle it by going 'lol screenshots serious business' but that doesn't people mean aren't enjoying their time playing a virtual quasi-photographer, respect that and let people have their fun.

I think this thread will absolutely murder the other screenshot thread. Virtually every screenshot in the other thread already conforms to the rules laid out for this thread, so I think the posts happening in the old thread will be few and far in between. Also do I still get to post if I try to maintain a high IQ standard but don't downsample ? Like so ->
betweenatreeandacartwrc5y.png

Nibel

Life would be so much better if developers would focus much, much more on IQ - those screenshots are fucking crazy.

Can't wait for Dennis to return and adding his stuff to this pile of awesomeness

Addnan

I love this thread. The pcars, I need that game.

Tried to get Dear Esther to run at 3600x2025 and it just freaked out. Screen just started flashing, odd.

Corky

I love this thread. The pcars, I need that game.

Tried to get Dear Esther to run at 3600x2025 and it just freaked out. Screen just started flashing, odd.

Don't know if this will help you but certain games don't work well with d3doverrider and very high resolutions ( if you're using d3doverrider that is ).

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
great thread!

Maybe it should be added to the OP that this is basically a 'game wallpapers' thread. For me that sums up most of the rules quite neatly (ie. 1080p or more, no hud, best settings, best IQ regardless of performance).

Too bad I can't post some of my dolphin Okami shots, but I look forward to enjoying other posts here.

edit: also, a technical question. Does resizing in PS result in better IQ than regular downsampling?

Let's just say, we've had numerous discussions in the other thread regarding the 'morals' of posting unplayable / low FPS shots.

ibphW3fOt0PdFo.gif

I'm so glad I lit that discussion, because look... you guys have a special place now. I'll even find a screen or two to take just for this thread. jaja

elbourreau

I think this thread will absolutely murder the other screenshot thread. Virtually every screenshot in the other thread already conforms to the rules laid out for this thread, so I think the posts happening in the old thread will be few and far in between. Also do I still get to post if I try to maintain a high IQ standard but don't downsample ? Like so ->

Yep, but some members will stop bitching about unplayable framerate in a screenshot thread (do you see how absurd their bitching was about..... Screenshots..... S.C.R.E.E.N.S.H.O.T.S....................). Now no one can stop this thread to rule the world!!!

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Great shots guys.

A request: Any chance you could post what FPS you're getting as well as the specs of your rig? Would be interesting in setting a benchmark.

Durante

dishonored-2012-10-20rzqiy.jpg

(Sorry about the texture in the lower left, but I think the screenshot as a whole is still pretty nice. Regarding FPS: all my shots are at playable settings, I don't launch games specifically to take screenshots)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Preface: It's a 32-bit DX9 MMOFPS running on an overhauled Project Offset Engine with streaming textures. And it only (from what I can tell) supports FXAA. SMAA injectors do crap all, and nVidia control panel override doesn't work. FXAA or nothing (nothing looks worse).
Any help would be appreciated getting something to work with this game. I've got beta keys if you are interested in trying.

That said I think it's a pretty good shot overall, playable at 30FPS too. Don't kill me!

firefallclientsunkenh0fumk.png

KyleN

Banned
Rule against cutscene screenshots would be nice. Never understood why anyone would take shots of cutscenes. In-game while actually playing or gtfo, imo :p

Corky

If the scene is in-engine and in-game assets it's a valid shot.

I don't see why not, it's not like there's any difference - take crysis 3 for example the game 'seamlessly' goes in and out of 'cutscenes', it's not like people are taking shots of compressed bink videos.

crysis32013-02-2615-1kuq96.png

Lime

Rule against cutscene screenshots would be nice. Never understood why anyone would take shots of cutscenes. In-game while actually playing or gtfo, imo :p

That's a pretty fucked-up demarcation. I think what necessary conditions you might have for separating cutscene shots from gameplay shots will be unsound and unreasonable.

MrBig

Please stick to pictures with a width of 1920 pixels ( I saw someone mention that "it's a shame 16:10 isn't supported" don't know if this was in response to the thread or a particular game but ANY aspect ratio - within reason - is supported as long as the width is 1920x )

This was in reference to the game not supporting 16:10 and instead forcing a 16:9 res, I even resized to 1920 when I play on my 2560x1440 monitor for the other thread.

You're not gonna tell me that this shit is playable, are you?

I didn't bring up the framerate gauge, but It felt like it was above at least 30. The PS2 shot at 8k I did check and it was in the 20-30 range. GTX 670 @1280mhz

Corky

This was in reference to the game not supporting 16:10 and instead forcing a 16:9 res, I even resized to 1920 when I play on my 2560x1440 monitor for the other thread.

Ah I see. Take note Sethos, I told you 16:10 is a dying format :p

A place for artsy shots, yay. It'd be awesome if neogaf had a reply-branch kinda thing, so that there would be a nice clean column of images, unfettered by many comments (visually).
Time to torture my computer!

nfs132013-01-2322-26-fyu1y.png

I posted this back when I first joined, but it's still my favorite shot and I'd like to put it here :)

mirrorsedge2013-01-064eclt.jpg

Also, I think now that it was not 4k ds, it was from 3100 x 1917 or something.

Noaloha

ibx5WMs5VbeVqJ.png

I was getting 18-22 FPS whilst recording with MSI Afterburner, 26-29 FPS when not capturing video.

EDIT: Oh, and sorry, I know that these PS2 shots /textures aren't up to par with the visual fidelity of many of the other games being posted (those aren't 2000-player-per-map shooter games though). I'm including them mainly because PS2 is much, much rougher around the edges when the render-quality in the .ini is at default. I'd argue these qualify as bullshots in the sense that regular players'd see them and exclaim, "that's not what the fucking game looks like!"

MrBig

mirrorsedge-2013-02-29ooqp.png

I'm just messing with him/you.

meh, I don't even enjoy playing games in 16:10, I just hate to see the pixels being wasted while I'm forced to, though. UPS broke my 1440p monitor and I'm in the process of trying to get them to pay for it.

EDIT: Oh, and sorry, I know that these PS2 shots /textures aren't up to par with the visual fidelity of many of the other games being posted (those aren't 2000-player-per-map shooter games though). I'm including them mainly because PS2 is much, much rougher around the edges when the render-quality in the .ini is at default. I'd argue these qualify as bullshots in the sense that regular players'd see them and exclaim, "that's not what the fucking game looks like!"

PS2 has fantastic art direction even if it is held back in some areas like texture resolution. I'd save this thread for when you play to a game's strengths rather than for shots that suffer from those limitations like that, though

Noaloha

PS2 has fantastic art direction even if it is held back in some areas like texture resolution. I'd save this thread for when you play to a game's strengths rather than for shots that suffer from those limitations like that, though

Yeah, I can see that line of thinking. On the other hand, if this thread is for the screenshots taken at 'not really playable settings' and the regular screenshot thread for the games at locked 30 or 60fps, then maybe they belong here. Changing that renderquality to 2.0000 murders the performance. :p

Top Bottom