• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

01net: Mario Galaxy originates from an external source

akihara

Masamichi Abe was at NST after Pikmin, and even Pikmin 2, I believe. The Mario Galaxy concept could have come from another Nintendo team, but just not Miyamoto.

Rhod

Stumpokapow said:
Very cool and great job, I had a lot of fun with some of those stages.

Noooo, no no no no. My prototype was shelved! They gave us the idea, saw it realized, and politely moved along! Then a few years later they got EAD Tokyo to do it better :D

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Both Pikmin and Super Mario Galaxy come from SEVERAL prototypes developed at EAD Technology Development Department. Which is a separate division from the EAD Software Development Department. The roots of the technology origins and development environments can be traced to the Mario 128 demo (tech was reused in Mario and Pikmin), Roll-O-Rama (tech was reused in Super Mario Galaxy), and Super Mario Sunshine (tech was reused in Super Mario Galaxy).

There is an absolute possibility that a programmer witnessed another technology and emulated to some degree. But that is impossible to prove.

MisterHero said:
The external source was NINTENDO ITSELF, FROM THE FUTURE

I bet Nintendo's time machine looks like a warp pipe.

bag_of_money.png

Warp_Pipe.png

mario_galaxy-1896.jpg

Boney

Banned
Fantastical said:
I mean, it's basically the same crowd which Iwata based the 3DS hype on.

So yeah probably, looking at 3DS sales.
Shocking Alberto will come to tell you that's not really true.

And Rhod put it better than me regarding Pikmin.

Seriously, even if there might be a hint of truth here (other games did Gravity first like SA2, or NST were indeed working of a RTS) it doesn't mean anything, and all the assumptions and accusations the writer is doing is just embarrasing.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Yenrot said:
I like the idea that Nintendo have tons and tons of ideas just sitting there, waiting to be used, as the article suggests.
They at least have some ideas or concepts. Nintendo has pretty much said so. It's no secret that Nintendo has canned many projects that probably got pretty far along. Early Retro is an example of this. It was even rumored (by IGN I believe) that at one time Retro was working on Zelda for Wii. Who knows if that's true though.

Boney said:
Shocking Alberto will come to tell you that's not really true.
Wait, didn't I just agree with you? :p

Tellaerin

It's strange how some people seem so affronted by the idea that Nintendo's development process might not be some magical house of dreams where game concepts spring fullblown from Miyamoto's head in showers of pixie dust, and that such talk might even be "damaging". Damaging how? It's not like the quality of the games themselves would be negatively impacted by the revelation that Nintendo does things the way other companies do.

I guess it's just the rampant fan mythologizing (which the company itself plays up) that bugs me. :p

[Nintex]

akihara said:
Masamichi Abe was at NST after Pikmin, and even Pikmin 2, I believe. The Mario Galaxy concept could have come from another Nintendo team, but just not Miyamoto.
Ah yes thanks for correcting me, my memory failed me on that one.

Stumpokapow said:
I'm sure they do prototypes. It may be the case that the overall basic idea for SMG was from a prototype.

I don't think that really means anything for the end product, since each level is so meticulously designed, and almost every mechanic they throw at you works, and it's beautiful, and the music is incredible, and the controls are tighter than they have any right to be.

I also think that their blabbering about Super Mario Bros 2 actually undermines their point. SMB2 wasn't an external game or idea. Moreover, given that Mario had exactly one platforming game, there wasn't a brand equity to "tarnish" by "shoehorning" an independent concept into it. Half of what SMB2 introduces to the Mario Universe is still in regular use today.

So really this is kind of a non-story to me, unless the small team that did the prototype is working on something else that I should care about.
Pretty much how I feel about it. SMG, even if the gravity idea had been taken from somewhere else (as if Gravity hasn't been done before -- SA2, R&C say hello), is still an extremely imaginative title. It's the absolute polish, endless creativity, beautiful art and perfect controls that make it what it is.

Rhod said:
Noooo, no no no no. My prototype was shelved! They gave us the idea, saw it realized, and politely moved along! Then a few years later they got EAD Tokyo to do it better :D

You're supposed to keep your mouth shut and take the praise silly!

(And I think he was just telling you that he's thankful that you inspired the stages in some fashion)

Shiggy

Rhod said:
I was responsible for a (shelved) prototype for Nintendo about the idea of multiple copies of a character spawning behind you as you move around a 3D stage, and with which you mustn't collide. That obviously came to be in Mario Galaxy 2 with the shadow marios. Playing that was a weird day :D.

So yeah, they try things out for years and years, all over the place, internal and external.

Was that done at Nintendo or at a different studio which received no credit?

JABEE

Shikamaru Ninja said:
Both Pikmin and Super Mario Galaxy come from SEVERAL prototypes developed at EAD Technology Development Department. Which is a separate division from the EAD Software Development Department. The roots of the technology origins and development environments can be traced to the Mario 128 demo (tech was reused in Mario and Pikmin), Roll-O-Rama (tech was reused in Super Mario Galaxy), and Super Mario Sunshine (tech was reused in Super Mario Galaxy).

There is an absolute possibility that a programmer witnessed another technology and emulated to some degree. But that is impossible to prove.
So could 01nets source be assuming something? Could there be two different interpretations of the same event? Are Miyamoto stories about looking at nature be untrue?

jman2050

Rhod said:
As I said, having worked with Nintendo, nothing said here is at all out of character with how they let ideas gestate and grow across their internal and 2nd party studios.

As I said, I'm not exactly sure what the problem with any of this is. Hell, the part about Pikmin is a clear case of twisting words to fit the narrative. Assuming any of that is true, drawing the mechanics of the game from an external prototype does not preclude Miyamoto from having come up with the thematic usage of those mechanics.

Smellycat

I don't see the problem here. So what if the gravity part of SMG didn't originate from nintendo? SMG and SMG2 are two of the greatest platformers ever, and it wasn't just because of the gravity idea, but the EXECUTION!!! No one could have done what nintendo did with these games.

Same thing with Pikmen.. just because someone was developing an RTS game doesn't mean that Miyamoto wasn't inspired by his garden.

This is just getting silly.

It's like, oh my god, Miyamoto doesn't single handedly come up with all the ideas at Nintendo and they have prototypes of games that could be a lot of fun that never get made? This changes everything. Or maybe not.

StuBurns

Banned
Xyphie said:
I've seen Miyamoto as the Steve Jobs of Nintendo for years and years, i.e. he gets all the credit for good ideas of people lower on the corporate food chain than him.
He doesn't lie about being the person behind them though. He's the face of Apple, but it's not like he pretends he saw fridge and decided to make an iPhone or something.

If this news is true, it won't stop some of Nintendo's games being awesome, but it would make me think less of the company.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Rhod said:

Well even if you only had a little bit of influence on the final thing and your prototype was totally remade, the idea is still really cool. :)

Boney

Banned
Fantastical said:
Wait, didn't I just agree with you? :p
The myth that 3DS price was what it was because it had good consumer reaction is well.. a myth based on poor reading comprehension and paranoia. It was damage control for the stockholders, but to suggest that's why it was priced like it was is just silly.

I mean in terms of Miyamoto being this magical person who somehow supervises everything, always keeps a close eye on 20 different projects at once, single handedly developing games, etc. I don't believe that. I do believe that he has ideas of games or sees concepts for games and comes up with ideas on what to do with it.

However, this place suggests that they went out bought the prototype for SMG and copied and pasted Mario into it. This I don't believe when there is so much evidence against the contrary. Mario 128 was originaly meant as a sequel to Mario 64, then there was a GCN tech demo titled Mario 128 which featured 128 Marios running around on spherical worlds, later Pikmin is released and Miyamoto confirms that part of the idea came from the Mario 128 tech demo, after that Miyamoto states that the Revolution controller was designed around Super Mario 128(SMG), and finally after SMG releases he confirmes that Pikmin and SMG both evolved from the Super Mario 128 project.

Amir0x said:
I agree. I'm just saying why 01net keeps popping up recently.
They are doing a 5 day blow out of Nintendo info from a supposedly reliable Nintendo source.

The claims the article makes offend me much less than the shitty way they're written, presented and opined upon.

This is day 3 of their series of 'shocking' Nintendo revelations, only they've been largely unsubstantiated heresy so far, and it all just strikes me as a cynical ploy for hits following their apparent luck in getting a couple of credible sources on Vita etc.

JABEE

Boney said:
The myth that 3DS price was what it was because it had good consumer reaction is well.. a myth based on poor reading comprehension and paranoia. It was damage control for the stockholders, but to suggest that's why it was priced like it was is just silly.
I thought Michael Pachter said that.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
StuBurns said:
He doesn't lie about being the person behind them though. He's the face of Apple, but it's not like he pretends he saw fridge and decided to make an iPhone or something.

If this news is true, it won't stop some of Nintendo's games being awesome, but it would make me think less of the company.

I'm not sure how this news, if true, would put Miyamoto in the position of having "lied". If a developer says "I came up with the idea for Fruit Ninja when I was shopping in the supermarket and saw an evil looking kiwi", it doesn't mean that nothing else ever came to be a part of the idea during the germination.

Let's say they had an unfinished RTS game sitting around and revamped it to make Pikmin. That's totally compatible with Miyamoto sitting in his garden and saying "Hey I want little radish head dudes that you can control and have work together. Oh, some of the stuff from that Bones of Blood: The 10000 Year War prototype would be go with this. And I really like the whole Commander Keen kid-pretending-to-be-a-space-captain thing, so let's incorporate that into the main character's design." Ta-da. Circle squared.

I think there's a big difference between sort of aggregating or simplifying things to give reasonable answers to questions, versus explicitly stealing credit, and even the article in the OP doesn't propose that Nintendo did the latter.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
People suggesting that Ratchet and Clank / Ape Escape have to do with this rumor should read the part about SMG again.

They're saying that Nintendo expanded upon a prototype from an external source that they bought. Not that they stole. :p

Also, it's hilarious that they act like the development of Super Mario Galaxy was like some sort of machine. Apparently they "tweaked a thing or two". "Here's a prototype, okay add some Mario, Goombas, Bowser, Peach, alright, ship this baby!"

Boney said:
Ah, okay.

I wasn't really serious anyway.

saichi

Can the source confirm that Wii Music was actually NOT Miyamoto's idea?

Also, Nintendo can admit that they like the Feel Good yarn based game and turned it into a Kirby game but they have to hide the same thing for Mario?

Rhod

Stumpokapow said:
Well even if you only had a little bit of influence on the final thing and your prototype was totally remade, the idea is still really cool. :)

Yeah, it was super fun times. I can talk about that one because the game featuring it has come out now. I'd really love to be able to show off the original StarFox Command touch control ideas we messed around with (so proud), but they are all added to Nintendo's big vault of game ideas referred to in that article.

Don't want to spend my life in fear of the pimp hand, the nintendo yakuza, and the ninja squad ;)

I guess all those Iwata Asks sessions must all be PR and everyone involved in them is part of a secret conspiracy the center of which is Miyamoto himself.

Stumpokapow said:
I'm not sure how this news, if true, would put Miyamoto in the position of having "lied". If a developer says "I came up with the idea for Fruit Ninja when I was shopping in the supermarket and saw an evil looking kiwi", it doesn't mean that nothing else ever came to be a part of the idea during the germination.

Let's say they had an unfinished RTS game sitting around and revamped it to make Pikmin. That's totally compatible with Miyamoto sitting in his garden and saying "Hey I want little radish head dudes that you can control and have work together. Oh, some of the stuff from that Bones of Blood: The 10000 Year War prototype would be go with this. And I really like the whole Commander Keen kid-pretending-to-be-a-space-captain thing, so let's incorporate that into the main character's design." Ta-da. Circle squared.

I think there's a big difference between sort of aggregating or simplifying things to give reasonable answers to questions, versus explicitly stealing credit, and even the article in the OP doesn't propose that Nintendo did the latter.
Exactly. Who knows what involvement Miyamoto had with projects but he could've seen the RTS concept and said "hey lets have a garden aesthetic to the game and base it around that".

If what Rhod says is true and based upon previous comments about SMG/SM128 it seems like Super Mario Galaxy had a lot of work and different prototypes and ideas worked into the game.

antonz

Probably just some NOE employee who is still fuming because NCL doesnt give NOE or NOA info until they have too

FatCat

I honestly don't see the point of the article. Whether it be true or not, they haven't stolen ideas (or so the article tries to imply, I dunno). The site certainly has plenty of negative "info" to share lately...

I give them credit for their article before the Wii U reveal. A bit more substantial info (sources etc) would help these latest articles though...

Smellycat

StuBurns said:

seriously??

It is actually awesome and very smart of them to have all of these prototypes and ideas laying around. They pick and choose several ideas and incorporate them into a game, whenever they want.

And if they ever felt pressured to release a game in the near future, they can reach into this vault of ideas and make a game.

JABEE said:
It doesn't make it untrue.

It also doesn't make it a big deal. What have we learned from this website so far?

1. Nintendo works on tons of handhelds and handheld options (some unreleased)
2. Nintendo sometimes has issues to work out before consoles are released
3. Nintendo sometimes uses external ideas in their games, because for some reason they live in the same reality we do and aren't isolated from the world around them (and third party prototypes as well)

The rumors appear to be a big deal, but once you think about the implication, all of them are pretty obvious.

drspeedy

Sonic Adventure 2 had a crappy gravity level for Sonic's crappy friend Rouge, wasn't that like 2001 or something?

The idea coming from outside and being developed into Galaxy wouldn't surprise me. SFA is the perfect example of Ninty setting a precedent for it, IMO.

added Mario and its friends, tweaked a thing or two, and... Here was Mario Galaxy
So Nintendo can add Mario, tweak a thing or two and turn a prototype into one of the best games ever developed? Pretty impressive of them if you ask me.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
saichi said:
Can the source confirm that Wii Music was actually NOT Miyamoto's idea?

Also, Nintendo can admit that they like the Feel Good yarn based game and turned it into a Kirby game but they have to hide the same thing for Mario?
When did Nintendo extensively talk about the development of Super Mario Galaxy? It seems like Nintendo is pretty tight-lipped about the behind the scenes stuff until more recently with Iwata Asks and stuff like that.

walking fiend said:
So Nintendo can add Mario, tweak a thing or two and turn a prototype into one of the best games ever developed? Pretty impressive of them if you ask me.
Must of been one hell of a prototype.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

Probably isn't true, but I wouldn't doubt it completely.

So do these failed prototype makers get compensated at all?

StuBurns

Banned
Stumpokapow said:

It's a lie of omission. To use the Apple analogy, if Steve Jobs got up and said, "check out the Apple OS, featuring a UI I saw in a dream" (or whatever), and didn't credit the idea to Xerox at all. It's misleading, and to me it seems like simplifying for the express purpose to mislead.

(Can you tell I watched an Apple/MS documentary on YouTube today?)

Trojita said:

Nintendo buys them.

StuBurns said:
It's a lie of omission. To use the Apple analogy, if Steve Jobs got up and said, "check out the Apple OS, featuring a UI I saw in a dream" (or whatever), and didn't credit the idea to Xerox at all. It's misleading, and to me it seems like simplifying for the express purpose to mislead.

Nobody is obligated to list every inspiration they use in the development of a game. Or any media, for that matter. And you can bet there were thousands for any single game.

1984 copies the Russian novel We almost to a tee. I think no less of either book.

Besides, Nintendo brings so much of their level design prowess to the process that the prototype probably has nothing to do with the final result.

BurntPork said:
This source must REALLY hate Nintendo for some reason. A disgruntled former employee who was let go, perhaps?

People hate Nintendo because they makes games that they don't like that go on to sell gangbusters.

Emitan

Trojita said:

Yes. Nintendo BOUGHT THEIR PROTOTYPES

Top Bottom