• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

It is good to hear all this positive feedback about FUD sadly both YouTube and Waypoint are blocked at work so I guess I will be waiting until tonight to watch it.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
It is good to hear all this positive feedback about FUD sadly both YouTube and Waypoint are blocked at work so I guess I will be waiting until tonight to watch it.

Watch it at home on your TV. It'll be worth the wait. Of course seeing it on a theater screen is even better.

Omni

I still need to pre-order.
Why can we just get a hint as to whether or not there will be a system that ranks people of similar skill together.

That's all I need. :(

I don't believe for a second that people like yourself who like Halo aren't going to pick the game up if it doesn't have a skill based ranking system.

I'm looking forward to the announcement of clans/groups as an extension of my friends list. There is a few things supporting that they exist.

- They haven't shown the active roster menu (which will probably have a tab that says/group clan)
- Next to the "Active Roster" at the bottom of your screen there is a symbol of 3 "cards"; one for Friends, one for Recent Players, and one for Clan/Group
- Sometimes there are emblems for teams and we saw teams named at several points (perhaps clan emblems and names, but could definitely be other stuff)
- It says "groups" on the back of the Halo 4 box.
- Microsoft announced a tournament system for XBL and that they were working on it with a couple games... I have faith that 343i was not left out of this talk as Halo has seen competitive play quite often.

Just a hunch... ;)

EDIT: I've got it... there isn't an individual ranking system of 1-50... it is reserved for clans. DONE... lol. ;)

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Not confusing at all. You are mounted on the back of the Mantis. The Mantis fires rockets forward. The chassis itself shields you from rocket AOE damage.

Oh, simple misunderstanding. I thought you meant the literal shield of the mantis, not it shielding you with its body.

Thanks!

TheOddOne

I'm looking forward to the announcement of clans/groups as an extension of my friends list. There is a few things supporting that they exist.

- They haven't shown the active roster menu (which will probably have a tab that says/group clan)
- Next to the "Active Roster" at the bottom of your screen there is a symbol of 3 "cards"; one for Friends, one for Recent Players, and one for Clan/Group
- Sometimes there are emblems for teams and we saw teams named at several points (perhaps clan emblems and names, but could definitely be other stuff)
- It says "groups" on the back of the Halo 4 box.
- Microsoft announced a tournament system for XBL and that they were working on it with a couple games... I have faith that 343i was not left out of this talk as Halo has seen competitive play quite often.

Just a hunch... ;)

EDIT: I've got it... there isn't an individual ranking system of 1-50... it is reserved for clans. DONE
You are my favorite detective.

I mean, I love you.

No I mean, ugh.. I respect you.

Ha ha ha ha ha. Good luck with that. I look forward to doming you at the beginning of every match.

jack-nicholson-nodding.gif

Does the Mantis die in one laser shot?

Havok

Just watched the Forward Unto Dawn episode, and I thought it was pretty great.

That opening...I believe the term is "nerd chills," yes?

Swarmerr

I don't believe for a second that people like yourself who like Halo aren't going to pick the game up if it doesn't have a skill based ranking system.

Believe what you want man. The fact is the game will get boring for people like us after 2 months of grinding. ala cod.

Omni

Believe what you want man. The fact is the game will get boring for people like us after 2 months of grinding. ala cod.

Were you bored of Halo CE after two months? It was all LAN, but my point still stands... I think. You weren't exactly paired up by skill, it was just anyone that you knew

There's still so much content there to warrant a purchase. Ranking would be a great addition, but it shouldn't make or break a sale. And there's some serious comedic value in the fact that people hang out on the halo thread and talk about every minute detail, then say they may not buy the game.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
There's still so much content there to warrant a purchase. Ranking would be a great addition, but it shouldn't make or break a sale. And there's some serious comedic value in the fact that people hang out on the halo thread and talk about every minute detail, then say they may not buy the game.

To be fair, that typically comes from non regulars, and trolls.

Another note on the possibility of groups and clans. There has been a lot of focus on niche groups in the community and 343i has done a lot to appease all of these different groups. The social aspect is why I play Halo. The multiplayer is what drew me in as I spent hours daily playing CE with tons of friends thanks to our local get together spot that had 20 networked xboxes. I'm not really a fan of campaign in most games, Halo being a game where the campaign was not something I spent much time on. The forerunners are definitely something that awes me so Halo 4 may change this.

My point is that I wouldn't put it past 343i to build on that social aspect by solidifying a stronger sense of community in Halo through groups/clans. It is that friendship that creates addicts out of a lot of people. You hear all the time and again of people hating WoW and they stop playing it only to be dragged back in because they miss playing with their friends. Halo has a strong loyal fanbase. One dedicated enough to make crazy cosplay, remix music, devote months to creating maps, creating TV shows with Halo, creating their own sports, diving into lore like historians pouring over ancient tomes, etc. The community does a lot and supporting groups/clans is definitely a way to emphasize that strength that Halo has. That is what sets it apart for me. That social interaction and sense of community progression.

Way off on a tangent, but like many others I love Halo in my own way. And man do I hope that they implement an extension to my friends list, cuz that would be awesome.

senador

Banned
These may been missed, and they are definitely worth a read so I'm quoting myself on them.

We also got to interview Daniel Cudmore (plays Master Chief), which was pretty awesome. My buddy just got it posted to the site if anyone is interested. Cool guy, was a lot of fun. He's in Twilight, we asked who would win in a fight: Master Chief or Felix the vampire.

I've got to go check for spelling and grammar errors, but here is a 3000+ word interview with Stinkles. I asked him about Forward Unto Dawn, a Halo movie, Spartan Ops, Ragnarok, Abandon, the Mantis, video rendering, stats API, and more. It was a lot of fun (though I was incredibly nervous) and I think its definitely worth a read. Frank gives a few new tidbits and lots of insight into things we already know about.

Interview with Frank O'Connor

I'll probably post these links again later in the day too.

Really liked the first episode of FUD, other then the IGN map bids any big news over the last week. On vacation/honeymoon so haven't been around to keep up?

Omni

Another note on the possibility of groups and clans. There has been a lot of focus on niche groups in the community and 343i has done a lot to appease all of these different groups. The social aspect is why I play Halo. The multiplayer is what drew me in as I spent hours daily playing CE with tons of friends thanks to our local get together spot that had 20 networked xboxes. I'm not really a fan of campaign in most games, Halo being a game where the campaign was not something I spent much time on. The forerunners are definitely something that awes me so Halo 4 may change this.

My point is that I wouldn't put it past 343i to build on that social aspect by solidifying a stronger sense of community in Halo through groups/clans. It is that friendship that creates addicts out of a lot of people. You hear all the time and again of people hating WoW and they stop playing it only to be dragged back in because they miss playing with their friends. Halo has a strong loyal fanbase. One dedicated enough to make crazy cosplay, remix music, devote months to creating maps, creating TV shows with Halo, creating their own sports, diving into lore like historians pouring over ancient tomes, etc. The community does a lot and supporting groups/clans is definitely a way to emphasize that strength that Halo has. That is what sets it apart for me. That social interaction and sense of community progression.

Way off on a tangent, but like many others I love Halo in my own way. And man do I hope that they implement an extension to my friends list, cuz that would be awesome.
I agree. Actually, Dice did a great job of that with BF3. With Battlelog, it's so easy to make groups/clans and play together (lol). Maybe if Waypoint was refitted with similar features it would a) Give people a reason to go there in the first place b) strengthen the community and c) make community interaction that much easier.

I miss the clan aspect of Halo 2 - even if some were so, so, so ridiculous - and hope that it returns in one form or another.

Moa

VIP in Reach

It has TU settings on it (No BT), and it is slightly functional, the score options for killing the VIP and the VIP getting a kill is there, but the numbers are invisible, by default it is 257.

Swarmerr

Were you bored of Halo CE after two months? It was all LAN, but my point still stands... I think. You weren't exactly paired up by skill, it was just anyone that you knew

It was fun because of gameplay and you were playing people you know. However, after playing halo 3 and having the opportunity to play people constantly at or near my level, I feel it is safe to say that I would not like to go back. (that is go back to not having skill based rank.)

Watch it at home on your TV. It'll be worth the wait. Of course seeing it on a theater screen is even better.

Agreed. That was awesome, even with Hendler's hilarious voiceovers.

Looking forward to seeing the space janitor. :)

VIP in Reach

It has TU settings on it (No BT), and it is slightly functional, the score options for killing the VIP and the VIP getting a kill is there, but the numbers are invisible, by default it is 257.

That popped up in the thread the other day. It was strongly implied that having an unofficial/hacked gametype in your fileshare could get you banned by the automated banhammer system. Use at your own risk.

FUD ep. 1 was great. Looking forward to ep. 2. Congrats to 343, Frankie, etc. etc. Thanks for putting it up on Youtube. Silverlight is awful.

STOP STEPPING ON OUR DICKS ELLIS!

cocamola

Banned
Agreed. That was awesome, even with Hendler's hilarious voiceovers.

Looking forward to seeing the space janitor. :)

That popped up in the thread the other day. It was strongly implied that having an unofficial/hacked gametype in your fileshare could get you banned by the automated banhammer system. Use at your own risk.

Making a youtube Video on this VIP gametype. If i get banned guess i'll just;
frankie2.gif

Shamless gif plug.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Question for Frankie, any chance Voc had a hand writing some of the background fiction seen in FUD?

The Insurrectionist news stories tingled my spine.

Moa

Good thing it isn't in my File Share.

Doodis

Question for Ellis or Frankie:

I know this is super nit-picky, but I'm curious. Why is there little similarity between the Lasky character in FUD and the character in the actual game? I mean, shouldn't they at least have the same haircut or something?

Halo_4_forward_unto_dawn.jpg

300px-Thomas_Lasky,_2557.png

Also, if I'm mistaken and one of these fellas isn't actually Lasky, my apologies. Also also, I don't mean to turn this into a "BUT THERE SHOULD BE DIFFERENT GRAVITY IN LOW ORBIT" type of thing. I'm just curious, that's all. First episode was great.

Top Bottom