• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft's Windows 10 "Game Mode" is bullshit and actually makes games perform worse

Every couple of years I go look for one of the posts here that go into intricate detail of all of
Microsoft's PC Gaming "Efforts" just to remind myself of how poorly they've handled what should be one of the biggest boons of their OS product.

It really is like no one there has any idea what to do for gamers and that no one cares to try and improve it.

orava

I wish gaming on MacOs would gain more traction. Also mod tools. I wish more mod tools were made available to the Mac crowd

Osx is basically dead as gaming platform. And being a perfect example of a walled garden, i hope it stays that way. Linux still has hope though.

Which is exactly why I play games on OSX

Across the board, the same games on the same hardware always seem to perform better when I boot into Windows than when I'm playing in OS X.

Having Mac versions is convenient sometimes since it's my main OS, but if you're chasing performance you're doing it wrong.

calavera_jo

Neo Member
Osx is basically dead as gaming platform. And being a perfect example of a walled garden, i hope it stays that way. Linux still has hope though.

I also would like Linux to gain more traction with gaming, but I don't know why you say that MacOs is a walled garden. You can install non-appstore apps on it too. Unless I don't understand what you mean by it.

You can even run non-signed code

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Uhm what? It's a feature that is available for consumers on Windows 10. Not Insider Previews mind you, the official builds...

That says it does one thing but in most cases does the opposite.

There are no excuses. Pull it from the OS and put it back in Preview state if it isn't ready.
It's being rolled out slowly... Because of issues like this. Expect to see patches. For me to get creators I had to run a tool (that a link under windows update offered)

God had MS threads are really fucking horrible.

That said, literally every major win10 update blue screens me and ks.sys is the culprit. Prayer generally buys me a lucky boot to download the latest nvidea driver which makes the issue go away.

It seems like ms has had video driver difficulty for YEARS, I wouldn't be surprised if a video driver needing an update was a source of the shit results

mcarlie

Banned
MS is obviously not going to release this if it in all cases does the opposite of what it's intended to do. There is something wrong with the setup. Not saying that MS isn't to blame at all.

Qassim

macOS would be a weird example of a walled garden, let alone a 'perfect' one. Aside from the hardware restrictions, what makes it a walled garden any more than Windows?

macOS would be a weird example of a walled garden, let alone a 'perfect' one. Aside from the hardware restrictions, what makes it a walled garden any more than Windows?

I'd assume he's referring to hardware rather than software. There's no way to mix and match components, and even very expensive top-of-the-line Macs are severely lacking in the graphics department. My solution was to build a Hackintosh, but that's obviously not something the platform was designed for.

On the software side, there's also GateKeeper and System Integrity Protection, but both can be disabled with a couple of terminal commands.

Night.Ninja

Banned
Is there any evidence of this? These posts seem kind of out of the blue.

lol going against the neogaf narrative
image.png
image7edee.png

Has digital foundry done a test video yet?

Expect same shit. Benchmarkers run things at ideal situations. That means running benches on fresh OS install and run more than once due to stutters from 1st run. Linus crew aren't idiots when it comes to PC stuff but they do say that it's possible that the config they have weren't the target and there are so many out there so who knows.

finalflame

Gold Member

"Aside from what makes it a walled garden, what makes it a walled garden?"

The hardware restriction is a big one, and the fact DirectX is highly favored and optimized for as a graphics API and will never come to macOS.

tuxfool

Banned

The hardware restriction is a big one, and the fact DirectX is highly favored and optimized for as a graphics API and will never come to macOS.

It would be less of an issue if Apple's OpenGL implementation wasn't horribly out of date and didn't suck. They could also implement Vulkan but they only want to support Metal, so the best you're going to get is Vulkan games through a Wrapper or ios mobile ports.

dr_rus

The worst part in everything which surrounds Game Mode is the continuing lying by MS on what it does, even now, after several publications called them on this:

With the Windows 10 Creators Update, we're introducing a new feature called Game Mode. Game Mode provides a better and more consistent gaming experience on Windows 10, by dedicating more system resources to your game. Game Mode's performance gain is found in providing, on average, more sustainable framerates for gamers, particularly when your hardware is experiencing resource contention.
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...ows-10-tip-get-power-windows-10-pc-game-mode/

That's a Windows blog post from yesterday and the bolded part is just a straight up lie again.

emag

Why do they never test these kinds of things on lower end computers? I would be curious what the impact is on those versus these high end systems which never had a problem running these games in the first place

"They" did. Well, "they" being PC World, and "lower end" being a $2600 Surface Book ( http://www.pcworld.com/article/3187...akes-unplayable-games-playable-sometimes.html ).

Average FPS
game-mode-bg-tasks-average-fps-100716318-large.jpg

Min FPS
game-mode-bg-tasks-min-fps-100716321-large.jpg

The worst part in everything which surrounds Game Mode is the continuing lying by MS on what it does, even now, after several publications called them on this:

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...ows-10-tip-get-power-windows-10-pc-game-mode/

That's a Windows blog post from yesterday and the bolded part is just a straight up lie again.

It's true for certain machines (laptops, tablets, non-gaming desktops) in certain use cases (heavy background programs).

Arcteryx

Not only does Game Mode suck, but the CU also royally fucked my internet speeds. Ended up having to nuke my computer and reinstall.

Oppo

weird. i had it on and didn't notice a hit.

i did get a boost from disabling GeForce Experience streaming, though.

maybe the test had a conflict or something.

calavera_jo

Neo Member

Direct X won't go to MacOs because Microsoft is using to lock users into their windows ecosystem.

Qassim

I'd assume he's referring to hardware rather than software. There's no way to mix and match components, and even very expensive top-of-the-line Macs are severely lacking in the graphics department. My solution was to build a Hackintosh, but that's obviously not something the platform was designed for.

On the software side, there's also GateKeeper and System Integrity Protection, but both can be disabled with a couple of terminal commands.

The former isn't really a walled garden situation though. it's something else - not saying that makes it better or worse - just that a walled garden usually means something fairly specific in regards to what a user can access from within that platform (or what they can bring into the platform) - the platform being the operating system. It can include hardware, e.g. the iOS walled garden extends beyond software into hardware, as to make lightening peripherals for the iPhone - you have to license through Apple.

Regarding the latter, Microsoft have similar things these days - as long as they remain optional and configurable - I don't think we can necessarily call either macOS or Windows walled gardens.

If the hardware restrictions make it a 'perfect example of a walled garden', then... I have no idea what we'd classify actual walled gardens like iOS - if macOS is already a perfect example of it.

Walled gardens in the software world are almost entirely defined by the restriction of being able to access or use third party software and services that don't have to go through some sort of gatekeeper. You can't do that on actual walled gardens like iOS, everything that isn't accessible through a web browser has to go through Apple. That is not the case with macOS.

The hardware discussion is only tangentially related to the 'walled garden' discussion.

I have no idea what you're trying to say with the DirectX stuff though.. what does that have to do with the walled garden discussion?

LCGeek

formerly sane

I keep saying why it's bullshit too.

The os reserves 20% of your cpu power by default, max it can be dropped to is 10, Either of these is horrible. They could fix a setting like network throttling which is not gamer friendly to say the least. The same could be said for an abysmal cpu scheduler which be it xbox consumers or pc devices like a desktop/laptop would benefit from a better one. What worse is 10 unlike 8/7 is a huge bloaty pos of crap that runs too much background crap that gets in the way. If its not crap in the background they still have various services like wireless config or base filtering engine that gets in the way of performance and incurs dpc latency overhead or cpu cycles when they decide to randomly run or not play right. You could turn off base filter engine but GG on your internal security. They haven't fixed any of the issues and it's gotten worse since xp despite the power gains we have made on hardware the software nullifies a huge portion of the overall amount and then makes consistent optimal performace a pain if your system is capable of it. The company is a fucking joke when they claim they care about gamers, and the problems exist still on their consoles which use the same kernel but with less ability to turn or fix the problems it creates.

Very little reason for me these days to bother spending the thousands I did on good hardware only to stick on windows and watch as various parts that perform in linux well suddenly turn to crap. I thought using a ram drive and ssd would fix my problems with kernel issues glad I can spread the word they don't, the kernel is crap and gamers under windows pc or console are not really served well by it nor is MS. I'm amazed they have professionals who no next jack about making real consistent improvements to windows or take the time to ensure games run well with little issues. 3 generations of very sub par improvements, the only real note is the cpu scheduler becoming decent it's still a joke to the biggest OS that everyone uses for networking or smartphones.

Durante

There Sweeney goes again.

The dude just can't resist an opportunity to claim he was right.
Well, he was and is completely right.

As a scientist, the whole idea of locking education of all things into a closed computing platform is just utterly reprehensible.

I haven't used game mode cause I keep my system light anyways but the creator update has slowed my PC down in general and I'm having issues now like my system freezing during boot up. Windows 10 was fine until the anniversary update. Since then it's been getting worse in my experience

As a scientist, the whole idea of locking education of all things into a closed computing platform is just utterly reprehensible.

He's really not.

The simple fact of the matter is these cheap educational laptops can easily be unlocked to a Pro version that can run any app under the sun for a tiny fee, if the app they want to run is not yet available in the Store.

In fact, according to TechCrunch...

If you’re buying those Chromebook competitors as a student, a teacher or a school administrator, you’ll be able to upgrade those devices to Windows 10 Pro for free.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/05/02/y...de-any-windows-10-s-device-to-windows-10-pro/

It's fun to watch Tim get himself all worked up over nothing though.

You mean what schools actually want because they can't afford a huge IT team to manage policy around the clock. Why do you think Chromebooks do so well in education?

calavera_jo

Neo Member
Say what you will, but there is a tendency for Microsoft to be moving in that direction.

Also, getting students used to Microsoft products gives you coders that can't code without using Visual Studio and people that can't type without using Word. Non-tech-savvy people seem to think that Microsoft IS computing already.

Say what you will, but there is a tendency for Microsoft to be moving in that direction.

Also, getting students used to Microsoft products gives you coders that can't code without using Visual Studio and people that can't type without using Word. Non-tech-savvy people seem to think that Microsoft IS computing already.

lol hyperbolic much.

Filben

Is (or ever was?) this feature still broken? I updated to the creator's update just a couple of days ago and this option appeared. Should I deactivate it?

Personally I feel like the Fall Update fixed Game Mods. I have a 1070ti, midrange i7, and fun off SSD and since updating windows a couple weeks ago Game Mode has provided slight FPS boosts across the board for me

Keyword slight

shpankey

not an idiot
Nice, good to see it's making improvements. I think it's probably going to be best for constrained systems tbh.

Lort

Banned
The purpose of game mode is to increase the consistency the game can render frames. It will always have more of an impact on minimum frames per second than max .. which is exactly what is most important.

Top Bottom