• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you expect for a PS5 / NEXTBOX?

Heath V

Updated graphics with true 4K and HDR and preferably 60 frames per second gameplay. We are going to need larger hard drives too. I for one have no issue paying $599 for something that's quite powerful at launch. I'm also in no rush for the Next Generation to begin, I think there is years left in the tank with the Pro and the One X.

odhiex

I really don't know what to expect for now.

What I really wanted is... release dates in 2019/20, powerful enough for a leap and affordable.

I still suspect that Sony might want to try another shot for a handheld/console hybrid, but I don't know when tho.

Jonathan20022

Neo Member
The dumbest part of this 4k trend is that people are now going to expect that from the next gen consoles. And this thread is evidence of it.

1440p with 30-60fps as a standard is FAR more realistic. My computer with a Ryzen CPU + SLI 1080GTX cards can barely keep up with games in 4k atm between medium/high settings in games at a consistent 60fps. Expecting a console to do what a $2k+ computer is barely able to do is so naive.

What I'm hoping for, but know won't happen. Is instead of just releasing a $3-400 console then releasing the souped up version for $5-600, I think we should just circumvent this and release a console starting at the higher price range with the higher end parts. People are all about affordability and that's great, but you can always wait until the price of the console drops years after it's release and buy it for the price that you think is fair. But people need to have higher standards if they keep having these 4k 60fps pipe dreams.

amirpro

Neo Member
I wish for a VR-centric platform from both Sony and MS.
VR is a game changer and the use of the hardware for 4K/90fps on VR will be much more appreciated than better graphics on a flat screen.
Although for that to work the HMD should be wireless, have at least two 4K OLED screens and use advanced sensors (like the HTC vive). Unfortunately it will probably take about 8-10 years until VR will take over the flat screen - in other words I'm waiting for the PS6.

zansera

Neo Member
I think that the cpus will have the biggest leap, and 60fps+ in all games. And between 7-10 tflops gpus that can handle in most cases native 4k. Microsoft (and maybe Sony) will most certainly have a backup plan to beef up components so they have the most powerful system after the other have revealed their specs.

Pantz

I hope Microsoft doubles down on their backwards compatibility library, making all Xbox One games work, and keep adding more 360 and OG titles. Turn it into their own version of Steam and it will make it more appealing for people to go all digital, but keep discs of course.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Both PS5 and next box launch nov 2020

CPU:8 core ryzen mobile variant
GPU : 12-14 TFLOP AMD
RAM: 24GB (4 for OS)
HD:2TB HYBRID
LAUNCH PRICE : $499

Both the pro and X1 will continue to be supported by 1st parties.

jobrro

I think 2019 is too early, we just got the Pro and even more recently the X. These console were meant for people who would otherwise simply change over to PC. In 2008 the nVidia 9600GT launched and ran rings around the PS360 for a very low price, they are worried about the low end PCs having a significant advantage.

2020/2021 seems more likely. I'd like to see at least ~15TF GPUs, something akin to a 2017 Ryzen and maybe 32GB RAM. Hard to know about RAM capacity, 8GB seemed huge when this gen was announced and was a 16x leap over last gen, but I guess we will see what is affordable.

I don't see either console going far above $399. Factor in inflation and it could go higher than $399 but that seems to be the sweet spot recently. There might be a premium version for a bit more, but there will certainly be a console at $399 or close to it from both makers.

Robbit_80

PS5 will be 2020 at the earliest. No need to jump the gun while PS4 is still selling like crazy.

I predict fall 2020. 12-16TF, 16-24GB, Ryzen APU.

Rayderism

The way the gaming industry is going, I wouldn't be surprised if they removed the optical disk drive in favor of a credit card slot and required a credit card just to power up the freaking system. Then require an hourly rate to play the games, on top of paying full price to initially buy the game (digital purchase only, naturally), and don't forget the greedbox/suckertransactions on top of that. Of course, that also means being always online, even for the single-player games. How else would they validate/bleed your credit card?

Oh but wait a minute, maybe I shouldn't be giving them any ideas. Ahem.

Wait for 7nm tech to become established. That's probably going to put it at 2020 or maybe 21.

Low end Ryzen CPU - probably 2 - 3x better than the current Jaguars
AMD Navi GPU 12 - 15TF depending on release year, maybe slightly higher
16 - 24GB GDDR6 RAM. Any higher amount is going to be too costly for a console.

Some chance that MS go the year after Sony. Their Scorpio has a bit more legs to survive a year of the PS5. Sony get a head start but MS get to come in with better hardware again. Them beating Sony in marketshare is a long shot anyway so perhaps better to aim at the bigger spenders for hardware, digital ownership, subs, DLC etc.

Sosokrates

The way the gaming industry is going, I wouldn't be surprised if they removed the optical disk drive in favor of a credit card slot and required a credit card just to power up the freaking system. Then require an hourly rate to play the games, on top of paying full price to initially buy the game (digital purchase only, naturally), and don't forget the greedbox/suckertransactions on top of that. Of course, that also means being always online, even for the single-player games. How else would they validate/bleed your credit card?

Oh but wait a minute, maybe I shouldn't be giving them any ideas. Ahem.

The backlash would be huge.
Remember the backlash from the policies of always online and not being able to sell your games the xbox one was going to implement!

amdb00mer

I have no clue as to when they will release or what the specs would be, but nothing will be less than what the current X1X has. I think they will both try to push a console that does 4K60FPS on every game with high-res textures or... they both go to cloud streaming solutions.

Augmented Reality will be the new thing for next gen. AR glasses will come bundled with the console. One of the uses will be to remove the in game UI from being be displayed on the TV, menus will 'pop out' around the TV and be contextual if you look directly at one of them. The idea is to expand the game beyond the TV without isolating the player from others in the room like VR does. This will open up all new types of games and experiences. A popular use will be to have Twitch or other TV content playing in windows that don't obstruct the game/TV, like a multiple monitor setup.

TLZ

Banned
It's all about a decent CPU - would like to see more 60fps games and AI finally take a step up. 1080P is enough for me - it's time for smoother and more engaging games.
I would actually like to see devs give us both 30 and 60 Fps options in every game like many pro and x games have now. Make that a standard and give us choice; prefer resolution or Fps.

Velius

Banned
Personally, I find that the most riveting (and potentially profitable) nuance to come out of the last generation or so is the abandoning of the unspoken agreement between the three companies.

It's like up until now they had this silent arrangement to start the next generation at the same time. Not anymore. Switch came out early this year. Is XB1X a new console? I mean, it seems like it. Sony will likely make sure to come out with a beast in an attempt to make it decade-proof.

In short-- what even IS the ninth generation?

Sosokrates

Well, ideally Sony would make PS5 a VR-centric system. Whatever specs that involves. :eek:

They should do VR when

1.there is zero sickness/nausea
2.its wireless
3.its comfortable and is as easy to setup and play as normal gaming

They should not bother pumping more money into VR just to do a public R and D.

svbarnard

Banned
I'm hoping to get some experts to weigh in here, X1X has 326 GB of total memory bandwidth and I believe nextgen consoles will have a terabyte of total memory bandwidth.

pkScary

I expect next gen to be the first big step towards mainstreaming virtual reality. The Oculus Rift, HTC Vive, PSVR, and others are all great, but they are still niche when compared to the overall console and PC gaming markets. I expect the next generation will bring many, many more people into the VR fold, with thrilling, AAA VR games present on both the next Xbox and Playstation. I also expect that by that time, VR standards will be better fleshed out, and there will be cross-platform VR games that release simultaneously on PC, Playstation and Xbox.

Well, ideally Sony would make PS5 a VR-centric system. Whatever specs that involves. :eek:

In what way?

Pack-in VR headset? Kinect says hi.

Built in proprietary connectors?

Power? I would hope they pack as much power in as can for the price.

If you are thinking specialized VR rendering techniques, then NVIDIA and AMD are both working on those and it will be part of the future GPUs.

So really the only way to make it VR centric is with a pack-in head set and that would be DUMB

PFD

I really cant see the PS5 coming out and only being 12TFLOPS cause thats just twice the power of the X1X, I could see the PS5 coming in at 14TFLOPS though. Doesn't the X1X have over 300 gigabytes of total memory bandwidth? Well then I'd say that next gen will have 1 terabyte of total memory bandwidth, thats right nextgen will have 1 terabyte of total memory bandwidth and I think any less wouldn't really be nextgen.

You are dreaming if you think they will have anything close to 1TB of bandwidth

AmyS

I think that the cpus will have the biggest leap, and 60fps+ in all games. And between 7-10 tflops gpus that can handle in most cases native 4k. Microsoft (and maybe Sony) will most certainly have a backup plan to beef up components so they have the most powerful system after the other have revealed their specs.

LOL. a 7 to 10 TFlop GPU is something I'd expect if Sony were doing a "PS4 Ultra" in 2018 to take the performance crown back from Microsoft and run all PS4 games in native 4K.

I do not see that happening. That's not enough for a next generation console (which Sony believes in), thus PS5.

Mark Cerny said he believed an 8 TFlop GPU would be the minimum to push native 4K, in the context of the current gen (PS4) and PS4 Pro's 4.2 TFlop GPU with heavy reliance on checkerboard rendering (plus the ability to do double rate fp16) was what they went with in 2016 for the same $399 price OG PS4 launched at.

PS5 in Fall 2020 - at least a 12 TFlop GPU, coupled with a mobile version of the Zen 2 CPU and 24-32 GB GDDR6 RAM is the minimum I think we'll see.

Paulxo87

You all can forget about your 60fps games. It's been possible to have 60fps since psone(omega boost comes to mind) at the expense of visual fidelity and openness of the world.

With the next generation you are going to see games target 4k resolution at 30fps with absolutely incredible fidelity. I really think that come 2020 we are going to be absolutely shocked at what the first batch of exclusive games will look like. We are going to be crossing a threshold into a more filmic CGI look which will completely change the way they feel when played

I don't think VR will be a built in thing. Like a fad it came and is already passing us by.

Blu ray drives will still be involved in both systems.

I don't see anything exotic at all about these systems. No tacked on gimmick. Just an evolution of what we have now and is that really a bad thing? I don't think so

Overall power? Probably ten times

Dabanton

I expect we'll see them both in 2020/21

I expect the prices for both of them will not be for cheapskates and people expecting $399 consoles launches are out of luck. High premium and power, but the PS4 Pro and XB1X will still be supported.

Sony has a hard decision to make if it builds it's next console around VR. They have their own VR solution so why would they let Oculus or VIVE on their system?

I was surprised MS didn't take the bait and release their own solution, instead they let every and any potentially work on the XB1X. One of the more smarter decisions the company has made. In a gen where it began with plenty of bad ones.

AmyS

In a sense, I'd be completely satisfied with FF XII CG cutscene quality visuals in gameplay with tons of characters in motion, lots of post-processing effects and copious amounts of AA, always running at 60fps at 1080p.

(mild spoilers?) https://youtu.be/xC8i4jkmi5E?t=3m59s

I'd love to see some devs take that route with certain games on PS5/Xbox Next.

In a sense, I'd be completely satisfied with FF XII CG cutscene quality visuals in gameplay with tons of characters in motion, lots of post-processing effects and copious amounts of AA, always running at 60fps at 1080p.

(mild spoilers?) https://youtu.be/xC8i4jkmi5E?t=3m59s

I'd love to see some devs take that route with certain games on PS5/Xbox Next.

I mean, that would be great, but are those graphics capable on current mid-range PCs? Is the next gen gonna be that much more powerful than current mid-range PCs?

Assuming the goal is to spend 500 or less I think we may need to temper our expectations a bit

Heath V

I'd expect 4K 60fps to be the standard for the next generation, and for games to have fully customizable graphics options like PC titles.

VR will probably be a big selling point too, but as someone who doesn't care about it at all, I'm hoping it's not an integral/mandatory part of the new systems.

Also hard drive sizes will need to be increased substantially since (1) physical media will be on it's deathbed and (2) install sizes are growing with 4K assets as seen on the X1X.

With all due respect physical media will NOT be on its deathbed. Physical media will always exist in some way shape or form.

Si2k78

More interested in seeing where Nintendo Switch 2 goes. I think this thread is the perfect composite of where Nintendo goes for next gen... http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1457455

But if we’re talking PS5 and Nextbox, graphics are at the point of diminishing returns, I want wireless or wired 4k VR with a large field of view and with asymmetric games like the ones on PSVR and better VR controllers with Haptic feedback like you suggested more than anything.

The X is already 6TFs, so 12TF and atleast a Ryzen cpu are the bare minumum for next gen. That should provide ample power to bring 4K VR to the mainstream. Whoever does that first is going to breathe new life into gaming.

Agreed. Seeing advancements in mobile GPU and CPUs are much more exciting at this point. With a limited amount of battery capacity, processing power balance is always interesting to see and more efficient designs are the result. I think the switch 2 will see the vision that Nintendo and Nvidia has for their mobile tech fully realized.

AmyS

With all due respect physical media will NOT be on its deathbed. Physical media will always exist in some way shape or form.

Exactly.

I fully expect PS5 and NEXTBOX to both use BDXL drives, and Blu-ray discs with 128GB capacity. That's almost a no-brainer.

HTK

Banned
PlayStation 5

- Native 4K
- 60FPS for majority of titles
- All games will be 4k w/ HDR
- 16GB of RAM
- 1 or 2TB HDD 7200 RPM (No SSD)
- AMD CPU 7nm x86
- 12TF GPU (AMD Radeon based graphics)
- FreeSync enabled
- Output will still be at 60hz
- USB Type C for DualShock 5
- DualShock 5 will keep all of the current buttons except the trackpad, with a new ergo design.Overall it will be very similar to DS4 and not a drastic departure.
- BC with all PS4/Pro games
- No Bluray UHD Drive like the PS4
- Likely to use new version of HDMI over DisplayPort
- Bluetooth 5.0

Side Note: 1st party titles that release 2qt of 2017 and in 2018 will be the last developed for PS4 in mind. Everything going forward will be with PS4/PS5 in mind. There are probably titles in development now for PS4/PS5.

Release Holiday 2019 or 2020 for $499

llien

If adored.tv is right, 7nm is closer than we think:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEU6gk8N5yc

PS5:
-Current PC-like HW architecture
-AMD Navi 7nm
-16GB+ of super fast RAM
-Full BC, games from previous gens in the store
-Around 12 teraflops, true 4K for most new games but not all
-$400
-2TB HDD
-Focus on games
-Still accept bluray
-PSVR2 with something like a Leapmotion camera in the headset to track hands/fingers as new control
-No AA bateries

Next Xbox:
-MS quits from HW, licenses other manufacturers like Razor, Alienware, Asus or Samsung to make their own Xbox like Steam machines
-Next Xbox will have base HW minimum specs very similar to PS5, manufacturers can make it more powerful if desired
-Fully integrated Xbox UI/OS and Windows 10 MS store: turn your PC into an Xbox or viceversa
-MS future games on PS5, not only Minecraft
-VR support
-No sports, sports, tv, tv bullshit

Yes please, with HDR becomming norm (don't care about resolution that much, my feeling is, they push more pixels at the cost of effects).

Klik

PlayStation 5

- Native 4K
- 60FPS for majority of titles
- All games will be 4k w/ HDR
- 16GB of RAM
- 1 or 2TB HDD 7200 RPM (No SSD)
- AMD CPU 7nm x86
- 12TF GPU (AMD Radeon based graphics)
- FreeSync enabled
- Output will still be at 60hz
- USB Type C for DualShock 5
- DualShock 5 will keep all of the current buttons except the trackpad, with a new ergo design.Overall it will be very similar to DS4 and not a drastic departure.
- BC with all PS4/Pro games
- No Bluray UHD Drive like the PS4
- Likely to use new version of HDMI over DisplayPort
- Bluetooth 5.0

Side Note: 1st party titles that release 2qt of 2017 and in 2018 will be the last developed for PS4 in mind. Everything going forward will be with PS4/PS5 in mind. There are probably titles in development now for PS4/PS5.

Release Holiday 2019 or 2020 for $499
I think 16gb of RAM in total shared between OS,video memory and games is just on the borderline. You need 4gb for OS,6gb for VRAM so you left with just 6GB of ram for games. I think 12GB of ram for games,6gb for VRAM and 2-4gb for OS would be perfect for next generation of consoles considering it needs to last till about 2028. But i feel like,in the end, we won't get more than 16gb in total😐

tusharngf

My opinion on next-gen playstation
Ryzen 3 Cpu (8 cores)
32gb ddr6 Ram
15-17 TF Gpu
2tb storage
400-500 W PSU
$399-$430 price range
Release date 2021
Two variants one will be digital(slightly cheaper) with no BD drive and another with BD drive.

Norse

With the introduction of the pro and 1X, does anyone think either MS or Sony may introduce 2 systems next gen? A base model and a more expensive beast model with higher CPU and GPU specs? Or is that foolish?

AmyS

My opinion on next-gen playstation
Ryzen 3 Cpu (8 cores)
32gb ddr6 Ram
15-17 TF Gpu
2tb storage
400-500 W PSU
$399-$430 price range
Release date 2021
Two variants one will be digital(slightly cheaper) with no BD drive and another with BD drive.

Yeah no way Sony waits til 2021. Not later than November 2020.

Dabanton

PS5:
-AMD Navi 7nm
-16GB+ of super fast RAM
-$400
-2TB HDD
-Focus on games
-Still accept bluray
-PSVR2 with something like a Leapmotion camera in the headset to track hands/fingers as new control
-No AA bateries

Next Xbox:
-MS quits from HW, licenses other manufacturers like Razor, Alienware, Asus or Samsung to make their own Xbox like Steam machines
-Next Xbox will have base HW minimum specs very similar to PS5, manufacturers can make it more powerful if desired
-Fully integrated Xbox UI/OS and Windows 10 MS store: turn your PC into an Xbox or viceversa
-VR support

Your Xbox ideas sound like an absolute mess. (maybe that's the intent?) After a gen where MS has been on the back foot from the off. They now have a more focused company line.

Can't really see them quitting the HW market. They've just made an excellently designed and balanced console and are working on it's successor.

There whole play anywhere thing means they don't need to get into steamboxes as PC gamers can build their own machines to suit their own power needs and budgets.

Xbox consoles will remain as more people will still want a console experience.

So in effect they get the best of both worlds. PC players who want the latest graphic cards and upgrades in their machines, but want to tinker with things and Console gamers who want power but also just want a plug and play solution.

If anything people should be asking why Sony games aren't on PC. Although I think PS Now on PC was them testing the waters to allowing actual DL Sony games to be used...

12Dannu123

Your Xbox ideas sound like an absolute mess. (maybe that's the intent?) After a gen where MS has been on the back foot from the off. They now have a more focused company line.

Can't really see them quitting the HW market. They've just made an excellently designed and balanced console and are working on it's successor.

There whole play anywhere thing means they don't need to get into steamboxes as PC gamers can build their own machines to suit their own power needs and budgets.

Xbox consoles will remain as more people will still want a console experience.

So in effect they get the best of both worlds. PC players who want the latest graphic cards and upgrades in their machines, but want to tinker with things and Console gamers who want power but also just want a plug and play solution.

If anything people should be asking why Sony games aren't on PC. Although I think PS Now on PC was them testing the waters to allowing actual DL Sony games to be used...

I disagree. I think that's an accurate thing to say other than XB getting out of hardware business. We will see some MS games other than Minecraft come to other platforms though. But I find it likely we will see Windows 10 PCs become XB consoles that can play XB software from the MS Store. We'll likely see dedicated Consoles as well from MS and OEMs.

Goalus

PS5:
-AMD Navi 7nm
-16GB+ of super fast RAM
-$400
-2TB HDD
-Focus on games
-Still accept bluray
-No AA bateries

Next Xbox:
-VR support

I could imagine MS games on PS5 if it is possible to log into XBL from there, otherwise it won't happen. As long as Xbox is a thing, MS will never quit the hardware business. The success of the Surface line came with powerful and desirable hardware, and it will be no different with Xbox. That means that MS have to do it themselves.

AmyS

I think PS5 will have at least 24GB+ of super-fast memory.

Microsoft won't quit the hardware biz, the next Xbox is already in development (there was a thread on that) plus Phil has said a number of times that Scorpio is not the last Xbox console.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
If not next gen than the gen after that I think we can expect a digital only, (no disc trey) console.

Top Bottom