• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

North Korea foreign minister says may detonate nuclear bomb in Pacific

FStubbs

Wouldn't this be the time for the US to use its most advanced military technology to stop the test? If they can't, what's the point of the insane US military budget?

That insane US military budget consists of contractor handouts and colloquially, billion dollar planes that can't fly and $5,000 pencils. A dollar budgeted for the US military is less than a dollar budgeted for other militaries.

The US just spends SO MUCH that it makes up the difference.

Velcro Fly

I feel like if they do this they can kiss it all goodbye. I don't think the world is going to put up with them doing this.

JettDash

I feel like if they do this they can kiss it all goodbye. I don't think the world is going to put up with them doing this.

If they prove they have deliverable nukes there isn't much the world can do without risking an intolerable retaliation. Which would be the point.

I feel like 2017 is a really long cuban missle crisis where apathy is so strong I wanting to Monty Python this and just yell "get on it with it!".

I'm sick of watching this, kill us or get off the pot.

JettDash

I feel like 2017 is a really long cuban missle crisis where apathy is so strong I wanting to Monty Python this and just yell "get on it with it!".

I'm sick of watching this, kill us or get off the pot.

Kim Jong Un has no desire to commit national suicide just to kill a bunch of Americans.

Madness

If they prove they have deliverable nukes there isn't much the world can do without risking an intolerable retaliation. Which would be the point.

This isn't even remotely true. The US can single handedly reduce North Korea to ash and they wouldnt even know what was coming. North Korea is not Russia. They are not China. They have little to no force projection outside their country. These little ballistic missile launches are among the first times they are showing they want or are capable of striking past Japan. But they probably have literally a handful of functioning ballistic missiles launched on a short notice. They probably have 20-50 nuclear bombs only deliverable by plane ie. Enola Gay World War II 1945 style. Those planes would be eradicated in seconds.

The only reason North Korea isn't already destroyed is their thousands of artillery pieces, short range rockets aimed at South Korea. Seoul is a major city like Beijing or Tokyo or Taipei. They will kill hundreds of thousands of South Koreans and crater the world and asian economy. That is it. Blowing a hydrogen bomb near Japanese waters almost guarantees massive sanctions even China would be forced to submit to, and a resurgence in Japanese missile development and even more South Korean militarization.

If they remain unchallenged though, those conventional rockets and artillery pieces become ballistic missiles armed with nuclear warheads. It is why it is almost at the cusp of the end. You don't give a dictator and totalitarian monster like Kim Jong Un the ability to destroy entire cities instantly.

Like Clemenza said in Godfather, 'they should have stopped Hitler in Munich, never let it get that far'

JettDash

This isn't even remotely true. The US can single handedly reduce North Korea to ash and they wouldnt even know what was coming. North Korea is not Russia. They are not China. They have little to no force projection outside their country. These little ballistic missile launches are among the first times they are showing they want or are capable of striking past Japan. But they probably have literally a handful of functioning ballistic missiles launched on a short notice. They probably have 20-50 nuclear bombs only deliverable by plane ie. Enola Gay World War II 1945 style. Those planes would be eradicated in seconds.

The only reason North Korea isn't already destroyed is their thousands of artillery pieces, short range rockets aimed at South Korea. Seoul is a major city like Beijing or Tokyo or Taipei. They will kill hundreds of thousands of South Koreans and crater the world and asian economy. That is it. Blowing a hydrogen bomb near Japanese waters almost guarantees massive sanctions even China would be forced to submit to, and a resurgence in Japanese missile development and even more South Korean militarization.

If they remain unchallenged though, those conventional rockets and artillery pieces become ballistic missiles armed with nuclear warheads. It is why it is almost at the cusp of the end. You don't give a dictator and totalitarian monster like Kim Jong Un the ability to destroy entire cities instantly.

Like Clemenza said in Godfather, 'they should have stopped Hitler in Munich, never let it get that far'

Betting that they wouldn't have managed to put nukes on ballistic missiles by then would be insane.

On the other hand, it is an extremely safe bet that Kim Jong Un wouldn't be any more dangerous with nukes than Donald Trump is. He has the perfect motive to not use them unless provoked first: he wants to stay alive and in power.

Kim isn't even the biggest monster to obtain nukes. I'm not even slightly worried.

If the US preemptively attacks NK, it will be absolute proof that the US is the dangerous, irrational actor between the two.

s_mirage

Could that have unintentional consequences, if for instance missile is intercepted over SK or Japan. Would that cause bomb to detonate?

Not likely. Nuclear materials don't act like explosives and require a very specific chain of events to detonate.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
This shit is like the cold war but with certifiably insane people in charge. Like... more so than last time.

Kim Jong is a menace to the entire world. Trump provoking him is making things worse at worst and not solving anything at best. At least North Korea is a relatively small country and not a superpower or emerging superpower. Imagine if China or Russia had a lunatic like Kim Jong dropping bombs and missiles and threatening everyone else? Shiiiieeet. Still a terrible situation for everyone as long as this bozo is in charge over there, though.

Clearly terrified by Trump rhetoric, there appears to have been another (below ground) test. If the intensity remains, this is either a deliberately smaller warhead or a dud. It's also maybe possible this is a aftershock from the aftershock caused by how strong the last one was where essentially a bunch of rock resettled on itself.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us2000ati7#executive

Edit: It's ~5km from the last one, so the later scenario is unlikely.

Green Yoshi

Damnit, at least wait until after Mario Odyssey releases before destroying the Earth.

It is an extreme shitty move and against all international rules, but there probably won't be any casualities. Some animals will die obviously.

Now that they have announced it they would lose their face if they won't do it.

JettDash

This shit is like the cold war but with certifiably insane people in charge. Like... more so than last time.

Kim Jong is a menace to the entire world. Trump provoking him is making things worse at worst and not solving anything at best. At least North Korea is a relatively small country and not a superpower or emerging superpower. Imagine if China or Russia had a lunatic like Kim Jong dropping bombs and missiles and threatening everyone else? Shiiiieeet. Still a terrible situation for everyone as long as this bozo is in charge over there, though.

Mao Zedong was a brutal dictator that people considered a madman. The United States even considered taking him out before he obtained nukes. He died in 1976, and by that time China had tested 18 nuclear weapons (including 5 that were in the megaton range). They certainly had ballistic missiles too.

Not that this (or the 45 total they ended doing) is even a lot of nukes to test. The United States tested 1132 nukes and the Soviet Union 981.

Kim isn't some unique threat that the world has never faced before. Dealing with him isn't even that complicated. All one has to do is realize that he is motivated by the same thing any dictator is: the desire to stay in power. Really, the notion that he would commit national suicide by launching a preemptive nuclear attack is ridiculous.

North Koreans are really the only people that Kim is really a threat to.

They can deliver them by missile, likely to the US.

That is not "it"

christ this dismissal of their ability to have a second strike is scary. I pray to god that the US army isn't thinking like you

slit

That is not "it"

christ this dismissal of their ability to have a second strike is scary. I pray to god that the US army isn't thinking like you

They are NOT delivering 20-50 ICBMs to the U.S. There is not a shred of evidence they are anywhere near the capability to do that.

Bobnob

So i just heard on the bbc that Iran is now testing new icbm's, WTF is happening i dont see this ending well at all.
Is iran helping Korea wilst backed by Russia?

Apparently, we sent bombers north of the DMZ today to send a "message". Shit feels like it's spiraling out of control. Who is to say Kim doesn't give a fuck and just wants to nuke as many Americans as possible before NK is turned to glass? Also what a douchebag. A bunch of sea life is going to die or be irradiated and it will passed along in the foodchain. Any landfall from fallout is going to make places uninhabitable. There are still islands where we did bomb testing after WW2 that are still uninhabitable. At least don't blow shit up until after next weekend so I can propose to my GF.

All I want is to see and play KH3 on PC then they obliterate everything? I swear if the world goes to shut Ill smack Nomura for stalling

Joezie

JettDash

Continual attacks (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ROKS_Cheonan_sinking) would lead to war, in NK's case that absolutely means annihilation of their regime.

North Korea isn't the only country in history to have repeated skirmishes with a neighbor without getting annihilated.

They've tried to assassinate the South Korean President

Twice

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Campaignbox_Korean_Cold_War

The idea that North Korea has kind of just sat there and done nothing is a meme that needs to die. Countries have gone to war over much less. Though I err on the side of caution still being taken.

So now we are pointing out things Kims grandfather did?

And I'm not saying that they are a bunch of angels. But the notion that they are some huge threat to the world is insane. If we are going on history here, the United States is a far greater danger to world peace.

So i just heard on the bbc that Iran is now testing new icbm's, WTF is happening i dont see this ending well at all.
Is iran helping Korea wilst backed by Russia?

you didn't hear that because that didn't happen.

they tested a IRBM with a 2000km range. they already had that capability. its just an updated missile. they are no prohibited from developing missiles and they don't have nukes

Madness

That is not "it"

North Korea has not miniaturized nuclear warheads for ICBM delivery yet. What world do you live in? They just recently had a auccessful launch of their first missile that at least touch Hawaii and Alaska. They have still yet to test a hydrogen bomb officially.

Where do you think theu are getting any secondary strike capability from? Their imaginary stealth bombers, their imaginary nuclear silent submarines etc. All they have is likr I said 20-50 bombs, deliverable by large planes circa 1945-ish. That shit would be downed so fast. There are probably dozens of US satellites aimed at NK right now. They are not Russia with their own Glonass. They are not China with Baidou. They do not have any circumnavigational gps satellites, no nuclear submarines, and have no achieved ICBM nuclear warhead miniaturization yet.

They will though. All they have right now is thousands of rockets and soviet era artillery that they launch in blunt force numbers several hundred miles in SK putting Seoul at risk. That is entirely where NK threat currently is.

JettDash

North Korea has not miniaturized nuclear warheads for ICBM delivery yet. What world do you live in? They just recently had a auccessful launch of their first missile that at least touch Hawaii and Alaska. They have still yet to test a hydrogen bomb officially.

Where do you think theu are getting any secondary strike capability from? Their imaginary stealth bombers, their imaginary nuclear silent submarines etc. All they have is likr I said 20-50 bombs, deliverable by large planes circa 1945-ish. That shit would be downed so fast. There are probably dozens of US satellites aimed at NK right now. They are not Russia with their own Glonass. They are not China with Baidou. They do not have any circumnavigational gps satellites, no nuclear submarines, and have no achieved ICBM nuclear warhead miniaturization yet.

They will though. All they have right now is thousands of rockets and soviet era artillery that they launch in blunt force numbers several hundred miles in SK putting Seoul at risk. That is entirely where NK threat currently is.

The Defense Intelligence Agency has concluded that North Korea has successfully miniaturized nukes that so thet fit in missiles. Do you think you have better information?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...79f191668ed_story.html?utm_term=.098c21b16c4d

reckless

North Korea has miniaturized nuclear weapons though. And they don't need a second strike capability with submarines or anything. They have road mobile nuclear weapons and we would never be able to get them all.

Top Bottom