• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AFL (Aussie Rules) 2017 |OT| Big Trouble in Little China starring David Koch

Status
Not open for further replies.

legend166

Well at least they're not getting belted like the Hawks are, I have no idea what's going on.

He has another 6 years after this one on his 10-year contract. He won't even get close to the goal record of 1360. It's taken him 5 years to go from 500 to 800, there's no way he'll kick over 90 goals a season for the next 5-6 years.

It's a nine year contract, so five let after this one.

Fuck Collingwood are frustrating to support right now.

Play a shit game lastweek against Essendon, and then follow that up by beating the Cats after a 5 day break.

Other than lastweek the other 3 losses could of been wins if they fixed a few of the kicking errors and kicked better at goal. which is still a huge issue.

Zushin

Fuck Collingwood are frustrating to support right now.

Play a shit game lastweek against Essendon, and then follow that up by beating the Cats after a 5 day break.

Other than lastweek the other 3 losses could of been wins if they fixed a few of the kicking errors and kicked better at goal. which is still a huge issue.

Same as a Tigers man. Kept with Adelaide first quarter, 13 up nekk minit 27 down.

legend166

Pretty sure I got you dudes beat in terms of frustrating teams.

This is a new experience for me. We literally haven't been close to this bad for 22+ years. I've only been following the team for 18 years.

It's a good thing my emotional investment in AFL has declined pretty dramatically over the last five years as actual important life events have occurred (getting married and having a baby). It would suck to really care when your team is so crappy.

My wife is a life-long Sydney supporter from the Blue Mountains. She's lived here in Adeliade now for about 10 years and has slowly gravitated toward Port , I think this year could be the year she fully embraces a second team. Basically all of the kids in my family are on-board so at least we'll all have a shared experience at Sydney v Port games.

jambo

N4dMs5S.png

Friday May 5th
St Kilda vs. Greater Western Sydney @ Etihad Stadium

Saturday May 6th
North Melbourne vs. Adelaide @ Blundstone Arena
Collingwood vs. Carlton @ The MCG
Port Adelaide vs. West Coast @ Adelaide Oval
Gold Coast vs. Geelong @ Metricon Stadium
Western Bulldogs vs. Richmond @ Etihad Stadium

Sunday May 7th
Sydney vs. Brisbane @ The SCG
Melbourne vs. Hawthorn @ The MCG
Fremantle vs. Essendon @ Domain Stadium

Round 7 Teams

oipic

Pies might get back to back wins. Yay!

So might Carlton!

Collingwood's best should be good enough to account for the Blues, but there were plenty of Sydney supporters who were confident their first win was coming against us last week, too.

Fingers crossed that it's a good game and solid contest - good old-fashioned Saturday arvo footy at the 'G.

So might Carlton!

Collingwood's best should be good enough to account for the Blues, but there were plenty of Sydney supporters who were confident their first win was coming against us last week, too.

Fingers crossed that it's a good game and solid contest - good old-fashioned Saturday arvo footy at the 'G.

Of course. Anything can happen and Collingwood has always taught me never to be cocky. I've tipped the Pies to win though.

Mr_Moogle

Something seriously wrong with our club at the moment.

That's what you get for overpaying a soulless mercenary like Kurt Tippett. You've lost quality players like Mumford and gotten nothing in return. Even Tippett's own teammates cant stand him and now hes getting paid near a million per year to play in the NEAFL. Love that bloods culture.

Pretty sure I got you dudes beat in terms of frustrating teams.

This is a new experience for me. We literally haven't been close to this bad for 22+ years. I've only been following the team for 18 years.

It's a good thing my emotional investment in AFL has declined pretty dramatically over the last five years as actual important life events have occurred (getting married and having a baby). It would suck to really care when your team is so crappy.

Typical band wagoner mentality. Convenient how you stopped giving a shit the second your team stopped winning.

legend166

That's what you get for overpaying a soulless mercenary like Kurt Tippett. You've lost quality players like Mumford and gotten nothing in return. Even Tippett's own teammates cant stand him and now hes getting paid near a million per year to play in the NEAFL. Love that bloods culture.

Typical band wagoner mentality. Convenient how you stopped giving a shit the second your team stopped winning.

Uhhh, do I know you? If you didn't notice this thread is pretty genial, why you coming in here with that garbage?

If you must know, I actually stopped 15 years of membership at the end of 2014 (the year I got married and moved an hour and a half away from the SCG instead of 20 minutes away and had to start saving for a house deposit instead of paying $400 for a footy membership). Considering we'd made the Grand Final that year, and proceeded to make it again last year, I picked a pretty bad time to jump off. I guess I'll always have to live with that bandwagoner label despite supporting the club since I was 10, traveling to Melbourne for two Grand Finals, attending well over 100 games (as well as going to pre season games at Blacktown Sports Oval with a few hundred others in the rain). But yep, you got me, bandwagoner over here. I confess.

I'll be the first to criticise the Tippett deal (hindsight is a wonderful thing), and while I appreciate your hottest of hot takes, this is practically the same team that won the minor premiership last year and was a quarter away from winning the flag. Forgive me if I'll be looking for deeper insight than what you're offering.

And my point was that when you mature and actual important life events come along, you start to care less about the wins and losses of your sports team. I still watch every game and an invested as I watch, but once it's over I move on pretty quickly, win or lose.

Maybe once you're out of your teens you'll understand.

Rezbit

The Swans clearly tried to buy a premiership and came pretty dang close. Really should have gotten one, but I guess I'll have to make do with 2012. But yes splurging those couple of million on two players each season, seems the chickens have come home to roost. Losing players like Mumford, Nankervis (HUGE loss imo), Malceski, depth has been hit massively. Losing guys to injury like Alex Johnson and Sam Reid for long periods hurt a lot too.

Defs got some good young players, but they're clearly not quite at the top tier level when our senior players are real bad.

jambo

What a great game, Saints really turned it on in the last quarter.

Stevie J is starting to look a bit out of date...

oipic

Tipped the Giants but stoked the Saints got the win. They are looking great.

The rumour mill suggests St Kilda are in the box seat should Nat Fyfe be on the move, too - they've been building a strong list over the past few years, this would be some kind of way to top it off.

fisheyes

I'll be the first to criticise the Tippett deal (hindsight is a wonderful thing), and while I appreciate your hottest of hot takes, this is practically the same team that won the minor premiership last year and was a quarter away from winning the flag. Forgive me if I'll be looking for deeper insight than what you're offering.

The Tippett deal doesn't seem overly flash now, but at the time surely every club was chasing him - he's, in theory, that perfect athletic ruck/centre half forward you could build a team around. I remember at the time thinking a) Adelaide were stupid to let him go and b) Gold Coast were stupid for not throwing more at him. Obviously I now no longer hold such high opinions of him, but eh.

Would've been interesting to see how he went if he wasn't suspended for the first half of his first season, though. I reckon that's thrown him off completely.

Mr_Moogle

You can't use the benefit of hindsight excuse with Tippett. The dude came to the Swans in the midst of a salary cap scandal which the club used to their advantage to secure his services cheaply. Sydney got exactly what they deserved.

To be honest the acquisition of both Tippett and Franklin seems bizarre to me considering this is a club which gained a reputation for success by taking journeyman types and discards from other AFL sides and turning them into decent role players. The Swans essentially sold out their bloods culture.

The Tippett deal doesn't seem overly flash now, but at the time surely every club was chasing him - he's, in theory, that perfect athletic ruck/centre half forward you could build a team around. I remember at the time thinking a) Adelaide were stupid to let him go and b) Gold Coast were stupid for not throwing more at him. Obviously I now no longer hold such high opinions of him, but eh.

Would've been interesting to see how he went if he wasn't suspended for the first half of his first season, though. I reckon that's thrown him off completely.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Firstly the burning desire to keep Tippett was what brought about the whole scandal in the first place at the Crows. This was a major mistake, especially when you consider they could have gotten a decent trade for him with Brisbane a couple of years earlier.

Secondly Tippett didn't want to go to the Gold Coast. He wanted to go to Sydney because he figured it would secure him a premiership. This is why I call him a soulless mercenary. For years he moaned about missing the beach life up in the Gold Coast but when his time actually came to go "home", he rejected them because they weren't flag favourites.

legend166

You can't use the benefit of hindsight excuse with Tippett. The dude came to the Swans in the midst of a salary cap scandal which the club used to their advantage to secure his services cheaply. Sydney got exactly what they deserved.

To be honest the acquisition of both Tippett and Franklin seems bizarre to me considering this is a club which gained a reputation for success by taking journeyman types and discards from other AFL sides and turning them into decent role players. The Swans essentially sold out their bloods culture.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Firstly the burning desire to keep Tippett was what brought about the whole scandal in the first place at the Crows. This was a major mistake, especially when you consider they could have gotten a decent trade for him with Brisbane a couple of years earlier.

Secondly Tippett didn't want to go to the Gold Coast. He wanted to go to Sydney because he figured it would secure him a premiership. This is why I call him a soulless mercenary. For years he moaned about missing the beach life up in the Gold Coast but when his time actually came to go "home", he rejected them because they weren't flag favourites.

Why are you being so aggressive? Stop posting like a nut.

Of course you can use the benefit of hindsight, because in his fifth year at the club, after two Grand Finals and finishing in the top four every year you don't get to turn around and say "A-ha! I knew it was rotten from the start!" If Tippett was so crappy then everyone wouldn't have flipped their lid when we signed him in the first place. Obviously he's stinking the place up this year, but he was in contention for AA ruckman mid way through last year before getting injured (
http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/the...n/news-story/c5aff96c860df7391175f6abc90589be)

My criticism of the Tippett deal is for some bizarro reason we gave him what was essentially a six year deal (four years which was fine, but then an extra two if he hit certain benchmarks. Considering he's been injured a lot it's amazing he's hit those. That deal didn't protect us at all).

The 'soulless mercenary' talk is just childish really. Was Nathan Buckley a soulless mercenary? Jack Gunston? Players move for hoped success all the time. Players move for money all the time too.

And as far as the 'selling out our culture' thing - we have a 20 year tradition of recruiting key forwards from opposition clubs - Plugger, Barry Hall. Tippett and Franklin hardly go against that tradition. Although part of me thinks if the club knew they'd be getting Franklin in 14 they wouldn't have got Tippett. But again, we've made two Grand Finals in that time so it's hard to say we made big mistakes.

Mr_Moogle

Why are you being so aggressive? Stop posting like a nut.

Of course you can use the benefit of hindsight, because in his fifth year at the club, after two Grand Finals and finishing in the top four every year you don't get to turn around and say "A-ha! I knew it was rotten from the start!" If Tippett was so crappy then everyone wouldn't have flipped their lid when we signed him in the first place. Obviously he's stinking the place up this year, but he was in contention for AA ruckman mid way through last year before getting injured (
http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/the...n/news-story/c5aff96c860df7391175f6abc90589be)

My criticism of the Tippett deal is for some bizarro reason we gave him what was essentially a six year deal (four years which was fine, but then an extra two if he hit certain benchmarks. Considering he's been injured a lot it's amazing he's hit those. That deal didn't protect us at all).

The 'soulless mercenary' talk is just childish really. Was Nathan Buckley a soulless mercenary? Jack Gunston? Players move for hoped success all the time. Players move for money all the time too.

And as far as the 'selling out our culture' thing - we have a 20 year tradition of recruiting key forwards from opposition clubs - Plugger, Barry Hall. Tippett and Franklin hardly go against that tradition. Although part of me thinks if the club knew they'd be getting Franklin in 14 they wouldn't have got Tippett. But again, we've made two Grand Finals in that time so it's hard to say we made big mistakes.

You don't get any credit for losing Grand Finals. Tippett was embarrassing in one of those games and basically didn't influence the other so I don't know why you keep bringing this up. The dude was recruited on big money because the Swans wanted a match winner. He hasn't delivered.

You also keep mentioning Tippett's form in the ruck which is bizarre because he was originally recruited as a tall forward/2nd ruck which is why he was paid so much money in the first place. Sydney put him in the ruck full-time because wasn't damaging enough as a tall forward. I agree that his form was good there for a while but nothing compared to the output you would have gotten from Mumford so I'd hardly be chalking it up as a win.

How on earth are the Buckley and Gunston scenarios anything like what happened with Tippett? Did either of those players get suspended for 6 months for being involved in rorting the salary cap? Everybody knows that football players come and go but rarely will you find a player try so hard to screw the club they are leaving, especially when they themselves are implicated in breaking the rules.

The sheer length of the Franklin deal makes it completely different beast to the Plugger/ Hall deals too. Neither of those players had such a lasting impact on Sydney's salary cap. Neither of them indirectly led to Sydney being banned from trading for two years. At least Franklin actually delivers as a player though. He's actually worth the coin he's on, unlike Tippett.

seanoff

Anyone who got 4 this week is some sort of savant or has celestial help.

Anyone who gets 9 needs to speak to the police.

oipic

Anyone who got 4 this week is some sort of savant or has celestial help.

Anyone who gets 9 needs to speak to the police.

Incidentally, this is the first time all nine matches in a round have been won by the lower placed team on the ladder - it didn't happen during the eight match per round era, either.

jambo

One of my favourite parts of growing up with footy was watching the Sunday Footy Show and Lou's Handball segment.

=[

jambo

N4dMs5S.png

Friday May 12th
West Coast vs. Western Bulldogs @ Domain Stadium

Saturday May 13th
Hawthorn vs. Brisbane @ University of Tasmania Stadium
St Kilda vs. Carlton @ Etihad Stadium
Greater Western Sydney vs. Collingwood @ Spotless Stadium
Essendon vs. Geelong @ The MCG
Adelaide vs. Melbourne @ Adelaide Oval

Sunday May 14th
Richmond vs. Fremantle @ The MCG
Gold Coast vs. Port Adelaide @ Jiangwan Stadium, China
North Melbourne vs. Sydney @ Etihad Stadium

Round 8 Teams

Get rid of the starting banners? How about fuck no. Tons of supporters and families thrive on it. Silly idea IMO. Footy has a brilliant involvement with fans and the clubs, banners are just one of those shining examples/staples that should always be there.

Omikron

Get rid of the starting banners? How about fuck no. Tons of supporters and families thrive on it. Silly idea IMO. Footy has a brilliant involvement with fans and the clubs, banners are just one of those shining examples/staples that should always be there.

AFL def has brilliant fan engagement at the ground, no doubt. World class. World class.

AFL def has brilliant fan engagement at the ground, no doubt. World class. World class.

I reckon the list would be over a dozen quality engagements without even trying.

fake edit (had to do it)

• pre-match activities e.g. Kids Zone jumping castle tackle box
  • plenty of room to kick your own footy
  • hand ball accuracy games e.g. half time activities
  • wheelie bin accuracy kick for cash
  • go around the ground in the mascot buggy
  • auskick kids games at half time
  • go down on the ground after game for kick to kick
  • SMS/twitter pics/prizes with # tags
  • cheer squads get special early entrance
  • banners (duh)
  • kids free on Sunday to national sports museum
  • auskick kids playing on the ground get to visit the locker room of the teams/players
  • photo with replica cup
  • player appearances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom