• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Switch Protection Thread

I took the plunge today of replacing my standard plastic screen protectoor with an Orzly tempered glass one. I used the hinge method as well in a steamy bathroom. My heart was racing, haha. End result is perfection. Very happy with it.

36191431253_300953dd2a_b.jpg

36828730752_8bddab1228_b.jpg

36191433953_59936c9264_b.jpg

I've tried both the AmFilm and the Orzly screen protector, and I think the Orzly is better. The Amfilm is like the default recommendation everywhere, but the Orzly is a better edge-to-edge fit, feels a bit more sturdy, and I feel the picture quality with it on is superior to the AmFilm (despite it advertising 94% light throughput vs 99% on the AmFilm. Its just a better screen protector IMO.

Nice application.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I had to dump the first amFilm screen protector I applied because there were 3-4 very annoying dust particles that were stuck underneath the protector. I tried to ignore them but they triggered my OCD so I took it off and applied the second protector in the 2-pack.

I took every precaution this time. I turned on the hot water in my bathroom and left it running for 10 minutes, and took out all carpets, towels, and robes from the bathroom to avoid any lint. I then spent a solid 15 minutes in the bathroom wiping / inspecting / re-wiping / re-inspecting the screen, before carefully applying the protector. The steam was so thick it fogged up my glasses, so I was doing it sans glasses which added to the complexity. I couldn't get a great seal because of the layer of moisture that kept condensing on the screen, and when I left the bathroom and tested it with Zelda, I saw this weird rainbow refraction effect all over the screen due to the layer of moisture that was sitting between the screen and the protector. However after letting it sit for 1-2 hours, the moisture evaporated and the protector looks fantastic, without a single dust particle.

I've always hated applying screen protectors. They're way too much work for what they are; by the time I walked out of the bathroom I was sweating head to toe from sitting in a steam room for 15 minutes. But at least my Switch is protected, and the protector was applied so perfectly (using the hinge method) that it almost looks like part of the Switch's original design. I hope to god I never have to replace this damn thing.

molnizzle

This isn't really protection, but does anyone know of any decent grips "grips" that make the Switch more comfortable to hold in handheld mode?

Nelo Ice

Banned
I just got a Switch and the dock seems like a total nightmare. I probably will use this in handheld mode the majority of the time but in case I'd like to play something on TV, is this USB extension method guaranteed to work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQZqKoi86Mk&ab_channel=SwitchItUp

Because if all it takes is buying one extension cable, sign me up.

(How did anyone ever think this kind of a dock would be a good idea?!)

I got this extension cable so I don't ever put my switch in the dock anymore.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073JJB3DB/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This isn't really protection, but does anyone know of any decent grips "grips" that make the Switch more comfortable to hold in handheld mode?

I got this one and it makes the a bit more comfortable to grip and provides some extra protection.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07457V4XJ/?tag=neogaf0e-20
I was about to get the GripCase mentioned above but then realized I probably shouldn't be dropping $46 when I already have a case and this grip is alot cheaper. Though the GripCase does look like it'll be good. May have to pick it up in the future if impressions are good.

Derkon

I got this one and it makes the a bit more comfortable to grip and provides some extra protection.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07457V4XJ/?tag=neogaf0e-20
I was about to get the GripCase mentioned above but then realized I probably shouldn't be dropping $46 when I already have a case and this grip is alot cheaper. Though the GripCase does look like it'll be good. May have to pick it up in the future if impressions are good.

Just got this grip in from Amazon and it works great. Much more comfortable fit for my hands now.

F34R

I just got a Switch and the dock seems like a total nightmare. I probably will use this in handheld mode the majority of the time but in case I'd like to play something on TV, is this USB extension method guaranteed to work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQZqKoi86Mk&ab_channel=SwitchItUp

Because if all it takes is buying one extension cable, sign me up.

(How did anyone ever think this kind of a dock would be a good idea?!)

So is the dock still an issue? I had a launch Switch for Zelda, sold it and just repurchased a neon one.

This is my solution:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=245065464&postcount=1002

Nobody else using a dock sock then? I grabbed a screen protector but knowing the dock will eventually lead me to having to buy another I grabbed a Yoshi dock sock as a back up. This thing was the best move I've made with my switch. Absolutely all dock concerns over and didn't even have to modify it.

Nobody else using a dock sock then? I grabbed a screen protector but knowing the dock will eventually lead me to having to buy another I grabbed a Yoshi dock sock as a back up. This thing was the best move I've made with my switch. Absolutely all dock concerns over and didn't even have to modify it.

I'm considering getting one actually.

Mario hype's been getting to me so I know I'm gonna pick up a Switch sometime within the next week, however, as has been tradition with me, I always like to pick up some form of protection for my purchases beforehand. I've been looking into screen protectors and/or dock "socks"/sleeves, and through the process (of research), I've actually become even more paranoid lol. I've been reading quite a bit about how the Switch's dock has also apparently been scratching the back of the devices as well? Is it possible thick dock socks and glass protectors are adding enough dimension to the front of the Switch to push the device back enough inside the docks to be causing this problem? Or am I just being silly (probably am).

Just want to report that launch day switch & orzly glass protector, using normal dock daily and even took the switch away on vacation with me for a week and let the little niece and nephew play it, not a single scratch.

I really do love the glass protectors, makes the screen feel a lot nicer on taps and touches too.

I've yet to have any kind of rubbing marks with my dock, the glass protector is not going to scratch under normal means if you are using one.

Qwyjibo

Thank goodness screen protectors come in packs of 2. This was the first time I ever applied one and it felt like I was performing surgery.

I'm sitting on the floor of my steamed up bathroom, wearing nothing but underwear and a hat (to control my hair). Wipes, compressed air, everything else at my side. Using the closed toilet as my table. First one just as I'm closing it (using the hinge method/stickers) a small hair catches on to the adhesive side and it's over. Mission #1 failed. The second attempt looks good though.

That was stressful as fuck. I need a beer.

ozfunghi

Thank goodness screen protectors come in packs of 2. This was the first time I ever applied one and it felt like I was performing surgery.

I'm sitting on the floor of my steamed up bathroom, wearing nothing but underwear and a hat (to control my hair). Wipes, compressed air, everything else at my side. Using the closed toilet as my table. First one just as I'm closing it (using the hinge method/stickers) a small hair catches on to the adhesive side and it's over. Mission #1 failed. The second attempt looks good though.

That was stressful as fuck. I need a beer.

lol

I always use some tape as a hinge. Had some experience with smartphones.

For the folks who need a carrying case for their Switch, this one's on sale @ Amazon.

[Stolen from Slickdeals]

iVAPO US via Amazon has iVAPO Carrying Case for Nintendo Switch (Various Colors) on sale for $10.99 - 46% off w/ promotional code QJ3W38HF = $5.93. Shipping is free with Prime or on orders of $25+.

ecvg00004a1_1.jpg

Red
Black
Blue

Not too shabby for 6 bucks.

I'm planning to get the Mario Bundle version of the Switch and am worried about making sure not just the screen is protected from scratches, but the back as well.

I've basically already settled on getting the Orzly screen protector, but I haven't decided/can't figure out how I plan to prevent back scratching as well. It seems like large wraparound faux leather cases/skins could be nice but they prevent docking and I also feel like it'd be more comfortable for the joy-con's to be flush with the tablet's surface and with a wrap around case/skin the skin would be elevated above the joy-cons.

I've kept my Vita's back pretty much completely scratch free by just babying it and only ever letting it sit on its back if it is sitting in its carrying case. With the Switch, the problem is of course that docking in the standard dock seems to inevitably scratch up the back.

So I've been thinking of getting either the Nyko replacement dock (seen in this thread) or this other one that apparently includes the Ethernet port, which would be preferable because even though I'm confident my Wi-Fi is strong enough to rely on for multiplayer it gets disrupted if anyone uses the microwave in the kitchen of my house. The biggest problem with the second one is that it is coming out in December, and the second biggest problem is that it apparently will need to be imported from Japan and will almost certainly be more expensive.

I wish I didn't have to buy any other dock, but there are too many reports of Switch back plates being scratched up for me to ignore the problem. I wish that there were "dock socks" that protected not just the front of the dock but the back, but so far I've found nothing.

Running an extension cable out from the dock and getting another stand is too fiddly of a solution for me, though I might look past it if that really is the best option to protect both sides of the Switch.

Does anyone have any advice for how to handle the back scratching problem? What did you do to circumvent the issue/have you even noticed the dock causing any back scratches? I would greatly appreciate help on this matter.

(BTW, I'm gonna post this in the Buy/Sell/Trade thread as well, but thought I'd mention that if anyone is interested in a $55 code for Super Mario Odyssey I'd be willing to sell the one that come with the bundle getting. I'd prefer to have the game physically so I'm planning to sell off the digital code at a discounted price to whoever wants it.)

alf717

I'm planning to get the Mario Bundle version of the Switch and am worried about making sure not just the screen is protected from scratches, but the back as well.

I've basically already settled on getting the Orzly screen protector, but I haven't decided/can't figure out how I plan to prevent back scratching as well. It seems like large wraparound faux leather cases/skins could be nice but they prevent docking and I also feel like it'd be more comfortable for the joy-con's to be flush with the tablet's surface and with a wrap around case/skin the skin would be elevated above the joy-cons.

I've kept my Vita's back pretty much completely scratch free by just babying it and only ever letting it sit on its back if it is sitting in its carrying case. With the Switch, the problem is of course that docking in the standard dock seems to inevitably scratch up the back.

So I've been thinking of getting either the Nyko replacement dock (seen in this thread) or this other one that apparently includes the Ethernet port, which would be preferable because even though I'm confident my Wi-Fi is strong enough to rely on for multiplayer it gets disrupted if anyone uses the microwave in the kitchen of my house. The biggest problem with the second one is that it is coming out in December, and the second biggest problem is that it apparently will need to be imported from Japan and will almost certainly be more expensive.

I wish I didn't have to buy any other dock, but there are too many reports of Switch back plates being scratched up for me to ignore the problem. I wish that there were "dock socks" that protected not just the front of the dock but the back, but so far I've found nothing.

Running an extension cable out from the dock and getting another stand is too fiddly of a solution for me, though I might look past it if that really is the best option to protect both sides of the Switch.

Does anyone have any advice for how to handle the back scratching problem? What did you do to circumvent the issue/have you even noticed the dock causing any back scratches? I would greatly appreciate help on this matter.

(BTW, I'm gonna post this in the Buy/Sell/Trade thread as well, but thought I'd mention that if anyone is interested in a $55 code for Super Mario Odyssey I'd be willing to sell the one that come with the bundle getting. I'd prefer to have the game physically so I'm planning to sell off the digital code at a discounted price to whoever wants it.)

I was really bothered by the dock scratching up my Switch but then I really only cared about the screen. Great choice with the Orzly screen protector. Had mind since March and love it. Still on the first one and no peeling. You could add some felt strips to the rear posts of the Switch dock to help prevent scratching the rear of the console as the screen protector will add girth to the unit and it is more likely to get scratched because of this. I haven't tried this myself so maybe someone else could recommend better material. I didn't add anything and have some faint marking on the back on my Switch. It doesn't bother me though as the screen is what I really wanted to protect. I wanted to keep everything as mint as possible but just gave up on caring about the rear of the console. I take care to removing and place the Switch in the dock with ease but it looks to have given me those little blemishes. Also I believe adding any adhesives to the back of the Switch unit is not a good idea since they peel the labels in case you were considering using decals and such to protect it.

How many of you who've applied screen protectors actually waited to let the adhesive "cure" before placing your Switch back in the dock? I've read doing so (waiting) minimizes chances of the adhesive "melting"?

PM’d you about the code.

PM’d you about the code.

Sorry I was afk for a long time since I was celebrating my Mom's birthday with a ton of guests. I don't see any messages in my inbox from today. Are you sure you sent a PM?

Edit:

I was really bothered by the dock scratching up my Switch but then I really only cared about the screen. Great choice with the Orzly screen protector. Had mind since March and love it. Still on the first one and no peeling. You could add some felt strips to the rear posts of the Switch dock to help prevent scratching the rear of the console as the screen protector will add girth to the unit and it is more likely to get scratched because of this. I haven't tried this myself so maybe someone else could recommend better material. I didn't add anything and have some faint marking on the back on my Switch. It doesn't bother me though as the screen is what I really wanted to protect. I wanted to keep everything as mint as possible but just gave up on caring about the rear of the console. I take care to removing and place the Switch in the dock with ease but it looks to have given me those little blemishes. Also I believe adding any adhesives to the back of the Switch unit is not a good idea since they peel the labels in case you were considering using decals and such to protect it.

Alright, thanks for the advice and affirment on the Orzly screen protector. It sucks that even when you're taking complete care to avoid scratches it still happens.

How many of you who've applied screen protectors actually waited to let the adhesive "cure" before placing your Switch back in the dock? I've read doing so (waiting) minimizes chances of the adhesive "melting"?

How long does this tend to take? I don't think I've actually ever applied a tempered glass screen protector (though I have experience with more than a couple plastic ones for DS/3DS). I would also like to know if anyone has done this and if it seems to have any effect.

Someone on page 4 shared a collection of posts from people stating that adding felt/cushions in the dock would increase the potential to scratch due to increased pressure and the tendency for those kinds of materials to attract dust particles which can cause micro-abrasions but it seems that most people ignored that post.

Is there any truth to this as far as anyone here knows?

Top Bottom