• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What should I move to in order to get off diet soda?

No, he's saying that there is no scientific basis for any concerns.
But he wants to sell books.

What you're claiming is basically on the same page as "Vaccines could cause autism! Some people who have been vaccinated developed autism! So you'd better check it out for yourself!"

And, before you say "Well, vaccines have a positive benefit and this doesn't" - that doesn't change the lack of evidence for any of the "concerns" that you and he are making up.

You're just as entrenched on it being fine as I am against it. I know from personal experience that it has an effect on me so I avoid it.

Well whatever. OP is looking to quit it so why stop them? Maybe they also feel it affects them in a negative way.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
My above post summarized the interpretation from the randomized controlled trials, the cohort studies were more direct:

Diet soda is bad for your health.

Nope - more likely people with poorer health drink more diet soda. Correlation does not equal causation.

NH Apache

Banned

Oh

well I'm gonna die I guess

Hey, Connecticut's pretty good.

Wait, what's that dot of red up at the top?...
Oh, that's where I am.

Ah well, back to Diet Cola for me.

When my wife got pregnant, I was worried about lead et al in the water here in New Orleans.

Bought a 10 dollar water test kit off amazon. Came back near perfect, even though that "map" says my neighborhood is extremely high risk.

Syder

So, I've finally stopped drinking regular soda. I decided that I was cutting out the sugary drinks because they're awful and I've drank water and Diet MD for months now. However, I think I should keep going and get off of it entirely. My friend started drinking Clear Mountain Ice sparkling water. The different flavors are pretty good and I think I've figured out that the carbonation is what I crave. However, I'm skeptical on if these things are actually any better than diet soda. Would these be a good idea? Or I'm thinking just regular sparkling water, maybe get some flavor like Mio.
Do you like Coke Zero or Pepsi Max? Those are pretty good alternatives to sugary fizzy drinks.

I went from big cans of energy drinks to small cans of energy drinks to sugar free coke. When cutting out sugar, small steps are good because you're literally conquering an addiction to it.

Also, drink more water.

Gutek

When my wife got pregnant, I was worried about lead et al in the water here in New Orleans.

Bought a 10 dollar water test kit off amazon. Came back near perfect, even though that "map" says my neighborhood is extremely high risk.

I don't think those $10 tests are reliable.

Yeah, this is basically the Vaccine/Autism "discussion."
Congrats on having no scientific or statistical backing for your posts, good job.

I could just paste you the link that CrocMother posted if that makes you feel any better.

People react differently to different substances. Diet products stalled my weight loss. If Op feels diet soda is messing with them negatively the obvious decision is to remove it (at least for awhile) to see if they benefit or not. This what I did and it worked for me.

Yeah, this is basically the Vaccine/Autism "discussion."
Congrats on having no scientific or statistical backing for your posts, good job.

I posted a brand new study about it just last page!

And unlike your post from a blog with some guy saying "as far as I can tell", it's got about a dozen PhD's behind it.

DOWN

Banned
This is one of those cliche phrases people throw out at the end of their arguments to try and make it sound smarter than it is.
He’s right though. It absolutely hasn’t been shown that artificial sweeteners cause health issues whatsoever. So far they appear to do largely nothing and simply correlate to people with eating behavior problems gravitating towards them - but they do not have any shown negative affects actually caused by them rather than people’s own poor nutritional decisions at large.

drinks2.jpg

Or some other brand of sparkling water. Did the trick for me.

This, this right here. I just started buying cases of La Croix and completely cut out soda. It takes a few days to get used to, but it's just as refreshing.

mid83

I kicked sodas about a month ago. I mostly just drank water but I've found sparkling water (carbonated water...whatever you want to call it) works well when I'm craving a fizzy drink.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
This, this right here. I just started buying cases of La Croix and completely cut out soda. It takes a few days to get used to, but it's just as refreshing.

I buy Supermarkets brand flavored sparkling water in bottles for between .79 and .99 cents per bottle depending on pricing each week. I don't even miss soda.

jman2050

Saying artificial sweeteners are bad for you because some people might have a negative change to their eating habits because of psychological reaponses to sweetness or other similar phenomenon is like saying peanuts are bad for you because some people are allergic to them.

He's right though. It absolutely hasn't been shown that artificial sweeteners cause health issues whatsoever. So far they appear to do largely nothing and simply correlate to people with eating behavior problems gravitating towards them - but they do not have any shown negative affects actually caused by them rather than people's own poor nutritional decisions at large.

No it isn't. Keep this anti science shit out of here.

Nonnutritive sweeteners and cardiometabolic health: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials and prospective cohort studies

hmmmdonuts

Neo Member
What worked for me, and what I still drink daily now, is simply

mix lime juice and stevia in water.

Makes the water delicious, and super healthy.

Saying artificial sweeteners are bad for you because some people might have a negative change to their eating habits because of psychological reaponses to sweetness or other similar phenomenon is like saying peanuts are bad for you because some people are allergic to them.

Pretty much.

I am trying to drink less diet soda and more iced tea (no sweetener). I make it myself and it's really good after you get used to it not being as sweet. I am a little worried about it staining my teeth but hopefully it's no worse than soda.

I started with sparkling (flavored) water and things like Crystal Light. For me flavor was a big part of it, but a few times a day, especially in the morning I'd start drinking just plain water. Now I appreciate a nice cold glass of it. Nowadays when I drink soda it's a bit harsh on my throat.

If I could wean myself off of "needing" lots of sugar and cream in my coffee and tea, that'd be great. I know I should just put less and less in each time.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Freezing cold Edinburgh tap water straight from the faucet in childhood. Oh to bottle or can that sensation. That taste.

DOWN

Banned
???

This is exactly the correlation study we are saying is a poor example for describing artificial sweeteners as bad. The studies are about large scale correlations, including with simply bad eating habits. People who have had problems with obesity before artificial sweeteners are included in the conclusion of that study. That’s silly to say artificial sweeteners are bad because Some people who were overweight stayed overweight, yet that article includes those people.

It doesn’t provide any experiment showing sweetener cause any harm. Because they don’t in the minute amounts found in consumer foods.

More like the ”please stop the unscientific vague fear posting"

Artificial sweeteners have become the most studied food ingredients in the world over the past four decades and continue to be safely consumed in all major world markets, especially those that have studied the sweeteners themselves

Get your SCIENCE out of this thread, blasphemer!

Next thing I know you'll be claiming I should vaccinate my children!

C4Lukins

I do not think diet soda is all that bad.

40 ounces a day of diet Dr Pepper. I lost 30 pounds.

But it takes more then that. I did an average of 15k steps a day over a few months.

Maybe Diet DP is horribl, but if you exercise and watch what you eat, it will not destroy you.

I still drink about 48 ounces of diet doctor pepper daily, and I have lost close to 30 pounds.

I am also walking or running 20k steps a day.

???

This is exactly the correlation study we are saying is a poor example for describing artificial sweeteners as bad. The studies are about large scale correlations, including with simply bad eating habits. People who have had problems with obesity before artificial sweeteners are included in the conclusion of that study. That's silly to say artificial sweeteners are bad because Some people who were overweight stayed overweight, yet that article includes those people.

It doesn't provide any experiment showing sweetener cause any harm. Because they don't in the minute amounts found in consumer foods.

From the paper:
From 11 774 citations, we included 7 trials (1003 participants; median follow-up 6 mo) and 30 cohort studies (405 907 participants; median follow-up 10 yr).

Get this anti-science garbage out of here.

You'd be one of those people in the 50's who didn't believe cigarettes were bad for you because there wasn't any "definitive study".

For me, it was BC of the carbonation that made easy to quit soda. I got sick of the aftertaste that comes with carbonation. That was about 10 years in my early 20s. I did not transition to diet soda. I just quit soda cold turkey. One of the best decisions I ever made with my diet.

In my case, now I mostly drink water, and if I want something with flavor, well, I drink flavor water.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
From the paper:

Get this anti-science garbage out of here.

You'd be one of those people in the 50's who didn't believe cigarettes were bad for you because there wasn't any "definitive study".
If you think the evidence for the cancer causing effects of smoking are even in the same ballpark as this research then you are crazy.
This is more of the order of power lines causing cancer and we know how that turned out.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

Even if you cherry pick and take exactly what you want to believe from something like that, it's rather pointless thing to link to as consuming sugar has been found to make people want to eat more and in turn get fatter.

So drink anything but water, and you'll have an urge to eat more. The difference? You're getting loaded with empty calories with one and not the other.

Oh, and there's that whole sugars increase pancreatic cancer risk thing.

Greddleok

The problem with all of these types of studies, is that their conclusion is always oversimplified to "People who drink diet stuff don't lose weight."

The data suggests that people drinking artificially sweetened (AS) drinks are not different on average to those who don't. Not that drinking AS drinks can help you lose weight when you are on a calorie restricted diet.
This suggests that people using AS drinks eat or drink their calories elsewhere and compensate for it.

A good study design for what most people want to know, would be comparing calorie restriction adherence with and without AS drinks. From anecdotal experience, AS drinks help me maintain a consistent calorie restriction when I'm measuring it. They help me adhere to my diet over time.

Top Bottom