• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The blind nostalgia of Mario Kart 64.

nkarafo

There are a few things Mario Kart 64 has going for it IMO.

-The music. Probably the best in the series composition wise IMO (excluding the DK track). Double Dash and MK Wii felt forgettable.

-The level design of some levels is still pretty good. I think Yoshi's Valley is my favorite design ever in the series (and it shines in the MK8 remake).

-The atmosphere. There is something about MK 64 that i can't put my finger on. It has a weird "emptiness" feel that i personally find interesting. I especially like the "darker" levels (Bowser Castle and the one with the ghosts) for that reason. Generally, it doesn't give you the feel of a flashy, loud event like later MK games do. I do understand that it was probably a hardware limitations thing and not a design choice though. But still, i like it.

But yeah, i don't like how it controls, i don't like the 2D sprites and the cheating AI is the worst. It's not the worst MK for me but it's not the best either. I would place it in the middle somewhere.

Also please, don't use the "blind nostalgia" argument. Most of the time is patronizing to people who have legit reasons to disagree.

I think its nostalgia comes from it being the first 4-player mario kart so its the memories of groups of friends playing.

Imo Mario Kart 64 is the second worst mario kart, but its no where near 3rd worst. MKWii holds worst crown but not by much. That game blew chunks.

atr0cious

Agreed op, the game is slow all around, which makes things like the battle mode an absolute bore. Double Dash saved the franchise in my eyes.

-The atmosphere. There is something about MK 64 that i can't put my finger on. It has a weirs "emptiness" feel that i personally find interesting. I especially like the "darker" levels (Bowser Castle and the one with the ghosts) for that reason. Generally, it doesn't give you the feel of flashy event like later MK games did. I do understand that it was probably a hardware limitations thing and not a design choice though. But still, i like it.
I completely agree that it has the atmosphere you describe, but that was very off-putting for me when it came out and still is now.

Rainbow Road has no stars in the sky ... just pitch darkenss ...

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
I remember when it came out and it was seen as far worse than SMK. The nostalgia for it came from people who clearly didn't play the SNES game nor remember the backlash MK64 actually had at the time.

Now, people who bash MK Wii, they're wrong :p

VDenter

Banned
Its by far the worst Mario Kart. Its one of those games that was not even good by the standards of the time when it was released. Let alone when compared to pretty much every other entry in the series. Everything about it sucks. I could not and still dont believe that people place it as their favorite entry.

Durden77

You sure about that?

MK64 was my first Mario Kart and even I understand it's not that great compared to the others in the series.

Of course I'm sure. Did you read my post? It was my first Mario Kart too and left a huge impact on me.

Some people doesn't mean all people.

nkarafo

I completely agree that it has the atmosphere you describe, but that was very off-putting for me when it came out and still is now.

Rainbow Road has no stars in the sky ... just pitch darkenss ...
Well, i agree about Rainbow Road. It was also the only track that had a limited draw distance for some reason. And it was too long. Loved the music though.

Appleman

Best battle mode until now for sure. Other than that it's ugly and awful, despite all the nostalgia I have for it.

Still prefer it to the Wii one though. That first day with MK Wii was one of my most disappointing days in gaming

PSqueak

Banned
Worst of the series?

Okay it's true that the game hasn't aged as gracefully as most other and it's nobody's champion, but i think some people are getting a bit carried away with it, i feel the Snes and GBA games had aged worse.

swarley64

Best game ever made, according to this guy.
He makes some pretty interesting arguments, don't you think?

And me personally, I played the hell out of it at the time but have no desire to go back to it. I'm not crazy about the newer games either though.

MK64 is definitely one of those games where anyone referring to it as the best MK or kart racer in general leaves me absolutely flummoxed.

kunonabi

Sorry, still the best for me. It has the best battle mode so far and If I drive better than my opponents I'll come in first every time. You can't say that about any of the other ones that came after.

Zomba13

I feel there is more nostalgia for the SNES one. Granted, I never had an SNES as a kid so never played the likes of the SNES MK or F-Zero games and played very few racing games on my Mega Drive but playing MK just seemed awkward.

MK64 while not the best MK (that'd be 8) I feel is still entertaining and still strong with good courses, fun items and the type of rubber banding you expect. And yeah, some other kart racers at the time were as good or better than it (DKR, CTR) but either way, I find MK64 more fun to go back and play than Super Mario Kart.

Even back in the N64 days I remember renting MK64 and not being blown away by it. It felt empty and blurry, and compared to Diddy Kong Racing the blurry sprite characters felt cheap. I remember being really confused by people praising it later, and finding every Mario Kart I played afterwards to easily be superior.

It's fun, but the controls feel weird to me. That might be because I grew up on the GameCube and am used to Double Dash though.

Also, unless I'm missing something, red shells are pretty worthless in this game. They follow a straight line to the person you're targeting, so if they're around the next corner when you throw them, they'll hit the wall.

Cloud7

Mario Kart 64 has always been terribly overrated but still had enough charm for people to hang out and have a good time.

Every console Mario Kart game since then has been vastly superior.

Mario Kart 8 beats it handily, but it's still a top 10 Nintendo 64 game.

Edit: for the record, SNES Super Mario Kart was my first, but I spent more time on MK64 Battle Mode alone than the original (every mode.)

Lynd7

It's still good because it is still fun. The battle mode is still the most fun somehow, probably due to local play and not having dumb rules, lose all balloons, your done.

Graphically no it has no aged well, but as for gameplay and skill i find it to be the best. I honestly cant believe anyone would think other wise unless they didnt grow up with it

Sordid

MK64 was great, had tons of 4 player game nights on it and it's my most played MK by far. I immediately liked Double Dash more when it released though, 64 while still being good is my least favourite. 64 has some of my best MK memories though.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Graphically no it has no aged well, but as for gameplay and skill i find it to be the best. I honestly cant believe anyone would think other wise unless they didnt grow up with it
Because it followed SMK, which required more skill and didn't play like you were karting through treacle.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
MK64 is the only one I've ever liked hated MK on SNES and hated the later games. Not really sure why tho.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
hasnt aged well at all. memories of being the best at making the beach shortcut are all warm and fuzzy

As a kid, I played MK64 and never understood what the hype was about. I LOVED the way DKR handled single/multiplayer as well as the battle modes. Now that I hear how much people love MK64, I'm really flabbergasted and have no idea why there's so much love for the game.

Raw64life

Haven't played it in a while but I played the shit out of it when it first came out.

When I went to college 10 years later, I played it a bunch and it was still really fun.

I guess it's possible that I might not enjoy it today, but I doubt it. Rubberband AI aside it's a fantastic game.

Top Bottom