• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The War Z: shady, misleading and false advertising.

Was this posted yet? They stole the LoL EULA.

EBOr7.jpg

If they allow a game to be sold via their service then the burden of responsibility to make sure it's fit for purpose also lies with them. But I can definitely see them drag their feet on this considering the money they are probably racking in from it, if they even do anything.

The only responsibility they have is to issue refunds, which like I mentioned in an earlier if they are not doing that than they are fucking up.

antitrop

"I can assure you that based on what we're seeing and number of people who post bad comments are small percentage..."

That is total bullshit. This game is basically in emergency PR mode, when you take into account this: http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/152wwp/more_war_z_drama_seems_the_steam_forums_are/

"http://steamcommunity.com/app/226700/discussions/0/828925216556714932/[1]
It seems the community manager on the War Z forums is now a moderator on the Steam community hub for War Z. Most posts that criticized the game were removed and people were banned. The new rules say that you cannot mention hackers, that you cannot talk about refunds, not allowed to make a post saying why you stopped playing the game. The rules are general enough and are set up so anything negative about the game can removed and have you banned from the forums.
This type of censorship is just pouring salt in the wound. A day ago, there were warnings telling people why the game was bad and should be avoided."

RyanDG

No refunds right now anyways. I personally don't see a problem with selling "beta" games as long as they are clearly marked as such. Never been a fan of selling items in a beta game... that seems pretty janky.

The game isn't a Beta anymore though (according to Sergy). So, to call it a Beta and release it would be dishonest on the parts of the developers. And they wouldn't want to be dishonest, you know?

If I am not mistaken people have also said that these guys did War Inc, which is a free to play that is (was?) on Steam, so I am sure that is how they bypassed Greenlight.

And again, I am not trying to say that Valve is the best company ever and many people have cited poor customer service at times with Steam stuff in particular. I just think that people who are mad should be mad at the devs and publisher who thought it would be a good idea to write a series of lies for the store page.

I think the problem is that Valve blocked several releases on the service for different reasons, how WarZ managed to get in while being on beta a bit ...strange.

Of course, they saw money and went with it. Also other devs had to go trought greenlight anyway, seeing games like Gray Matter struggling to make it in and see this scam and copycat of a game in the storefront sucks.

brettreyu

I bought into the idea of this game on the "top" tier before release, or whatever they were calling it back then.

Within an hour of playing it the day the "alpha" came out I realized what a huge mistake that was. They refunded my money over paypal because I complained about the servers being down all day, which they were. I kind of forgot about this game until this article and interview popped up.

After reading this though, everyone needs to get the pitchforks out.

I think the problem is that Valve blocked several releases on the service for different reasons, how WarZ managed to get in while being on beta a bit ...strange.

Of course, they saw money and went with it. Also other devs had to go trought greenlight anyway, seeing games like Gray Matter struggling to make it in and see this scam and copycat of a game in the storefront sucks.

I agree, and hopefully things like this happening will push Valve to take another look what role Greenlight plays and how it operates.

diamount

Banned
The only responsibility they have is to issue refunds, which like I mentioned in an earlier if they are not doing that than they are fucking up.

My point is that Valve should at least have a game tested before it being allowed on Steam. You know investigating if certain features are actually in, actually make sure screenshots represent the game and if not actually adding a warning so people don't fooled.

Hell, maybe even adding clarification saying this game has no relation to DayZ despite the name. Simply doing nothing while people get swindled is just totally irresponsible.

antitrop

"Let's be frank: when you read "up to 100 players" -- what does it mean to you personally? I mean, for me it doesn't mean that I will play with 99 other players."

I don't even have words for the shit coming out of this guy's keyboard. Who can type that seriously? I understand English is not his first language, but... honestly. It's a logical fallacy.

Kinyou

"I can assure you that based on what we're seeing and number of people who post bad comments are small percentage..."

That is total bullshit. This game is basically in emergency PR mode, when you take into account this: http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/152wwp/more_war_z_drama_seems_the_steam_forums_are/

"http://steamcommunity.com/app/226700/discussions/0/828925216556714932/[1]
It seems the community manager on the War Z forums is now a moderator on the Steam community hub for War Z. Most posts that criticized the game were removed and people were banned. The new rules say that you cannot mention hackers, that you cannot talk about refunds, not allowed to make a post saying why you stopped playing the game. The rules are general enough and are set up so anything negative about the game can removed and have you banned from the forums.
This type of censorship is just pouring salt in the wound. A day ago, there were warnings telling people why the game was bad and should be avoided."
This is more and more turning into a scandal. I'm expecting lots of sites covering it

"Let's be frank: when you read "up to 100 players" -- what does it mean to you personally? I mean, for me it doesn't mean that I will play with 99 other players."

I don't even have words for the shit coming out of this guy's keyboard. Who can type that seriously? I understand English is not his first language, but... honestly. It's a logical fallacy.

It's pretty amazing.

Hylian7

I can't find it, but what was that thing in the other thread about someone from the dev scamming people with selling "armored corsets" or something like that. Google isn't finding this thread for me, where was it?!

Aaron

Valve need to man up and pull this game from the store. It's a fucking trainwreck. While finished, good games languish in greenlight.

I can't imagine Valve doing anything about this since it was their number one seller all day. The only way I see them respondimg is if a bunch of sites start posting it on their front page and it blows up into a big scandal. Then I bet they just offer those who have already bought it refunds.

New Terms of Services state that you cannot ask for refund... Oh boy.

No fucking way. Tell me you're bullshitting.

I can't find it, but what was that thing in the other thread about someone from the dev scamming people with selling "armored corsets" or something like that. Google isn't finding this thread for me, where was it?!

Here you go:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=503862&highlight=code+hero

No fucking way. Tell me you're bullshitting.

That must be illegal. You can't just deny people a refund like this when it's standard across lots of games.

Aaron

Steam is a walled garden. Valve chooses what games go up, so they are responsible for not screwing over their customers by broken games whose descriptions and screenshots are actual lies. Leaving War Z up is poisoning the well.

WX3

I wish I knew what we could do as a community beyond not buying/playing this trash. After reading the GameSpy interview, I can't believe this, but I'm actually a little steamed right now! This is just mind blowing in it's scope, and Steam as far as I am concerned is a fucking accomplice until this shit is resolved PROPERLY!

CzarTim

I wish I knew what we could do as a community beyond not buying/playing this trash. After reading the GameSpy interview, I can't believe this, but I'm actually a little steamed right now! This is just mind blowing in it's scope, and Steam as far as I am concerned is a fucking accomplice until this shit is resolved PROPERLY!

Yeah. As someone who bought it months ago at 4x the price, it hurts to watch all this.

Apparently, if you hit decline to new TOS, you can restart the game and it won't ask you again. Regardless of this glitch that may be fixed soon, you can't ask for refunds anymore.

Also, users getting banned from steam community for saying anything negative.

rGgfM.png

Kewk works for the devs.

I still can't believe the first thing the developer said when he was asked "Why did you lie on your Steam page?"

...was this: "Only a small number of people are complaining."

What a horrible response to that accusation.

WX3

Apparently, if you hit decline to new TOS, you can restart the game and it won't ask you again. Regardless of this glitch that may be fixed soon, you can't ask for refunds anymore.

Also, users getting banned from steam community for saying anything negative.

rGgfM.png

From steamed to totally fucking pissed in less than five minutes.

antitrop

God I wish this didn't happen at an off-time for gaming podcasts, because I would love to hear what the usual crews will have to say about all this.

Derrick01

Banned
Yeah I'm almost as upset at Valve for allowing this to stay as I am at these criminals behind the game itself. And then you have all of the dipshit dumb fucks who are buying this knowing all of this before hand. That's probably the most annoying part of this.

mrgone

Steam is a walled garden. Valve chooses what games go up, so they are responsible for not screwing over their customers by broken games whose descriptions and screenshots are actual lies. Leaving War Z up is poisoning the well.

I'm actually more annoyed by Valve's lack of any apparent action than I am about Sergey "Big Rigs" Titov's attitude about the whole thing. They're the ones giving these people a market right now. There's at least enough shady nonsense afoot to temporarily halt sales and start investigating and issuing refunds to the people who "misread", who deserve their money back no matter what happens to War Z's future on Steam.

Yeah I'm almost as upset at Valve for allowing this to stay as I am at these criminals behind the game itself. And then you have all of the dipshit dumb fucks who are buying this knowing all of this before hand. That's probably the most annoying part of this.

Not everyone surfs GAF/Reddit/Gamespy to know what the hell is happening. Some don't even know its different than DayZ, while others just want a fun zombie game to play with friends similar to DayZ, but can't install the mod even if their life depended on it.

Aaron

Not everyone surfs GAF/Reddit/Gamespy to know what the hell is happening. Some don't even know its different than DayZ, while others just want a fun zombie game to play with friends similar to DayZ, but can't install the mod even if their life depended on it.
Those people are getting fucked because this is on Steam so they assume it must be okay.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
A Shocking Interview With The War Z Developer On False Steam Store Claims

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/the-war-z/1226980p1.html

There's more. Man, what a moron.

Holy shit, the balls on this dude. :lol

I was giving them the benefit of the doubt and hating them for being a DayZ clone just done "MMO"-ish, but man I was bang-on the money when this was announced after DayZ exploded in popularity: They suck.

Derrick01

Banned

I didn't mean that everyone who bought this knew what was going on but it's pretty clear quite a few do and don't care. I've read a lot of comments on the various sites who decided to post about this. Probably a small drop in the overall bucket since this is #1 on steam but it's still aggravating to see people bragging about their stupidity.

Top Bottom