• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming May 2017 | Got 99 problems but 32 bit ain't one

PittaGAF

Interesting that you did not notice the game pop up in the Top 10 of most downloaded apps last year. Somehow I tried it back then but it could not convince me. For the better I guess when I see how desperately addicted you guys are now :p

Pitta, you mentioned that you mange your Gamecenter friends through the Lost Cities app. Bought it in the last sale as well but I am wondering how exactly you add new friends.

It's been a while but when you set up a multiplayer game you can add friends.
An iMessage pop up appears and you send the invite to the person you want to add.

Oynox

It's been a while but when you set up a multiplayer game you can add friends.
An iMessage pop up appears and you send the invite to the person you want to add.

But that is only a game invite, no invite to the friend list, right? Because afterwards the invited user is not shown under "versus online-opponent" in the new game window..

/edit

Apparently there is no friend list at all anymore. How annoying that everything is managed through messages now.

PittaGAF

But that is only a game invite, no invite to the friend list, right? Because afterwards the invited user is not shown under "versus online-opponent" in the new game window..

/edit

Apparently there is no friend list at all anymore. How annoying that everything is managed through messages now.

Sorry I probably express myself wrong.
I didn't want to be mislieading.

What I meant is that I could add new people via some apps that already implemented the 'new' method, like Lost Cities.
It's the only way I know to add new friends, but I do t know any method to 'manage' the list.

I really hope Apple has something new in store in iOS 11 about this because it sucks right now.

Sorry again.

Oynox

Goodness gracious! KALIMBA is coming to iPhone and iPad! That's one of the greatest coop experiences in the last years for me. Wondering how this will transition to iOS but I am excited to see the game see new players since the original creators went out of business. I really hope we will somehow get access to the soundtrack, would love to pick that up.

Looking for a game to play whilst travelling on my ipad pro 9.7

How is xcom on here? I've heard good things, and loved it on ps3 (didn't play evil within though).

Also haven't played any of the room games.

killercow

How is xcom on here? I've heard good things, and loved it on ps3 (didn't play evil within though).

XCOM's great but you might not be able to play it after iOS11 since the game's not 64bit so be aware of that. You totally should play any of the Room games, Simogo's games, Monument Valley and Lara Croft GO. That's required on iOS :)

Matt Frost

Looking for a game to play whilst travelling on my ipad pro 9.7.

Get After the End. Half platformer/half Monument Valley and worth every cent. Or Death Road to Canada, half sim/half zombie survival. Another recent masterpiece. Or OXENFREE, a walking game with eerie and spooky ambient and wonderful narrative

HotHamBoy

Enemy Within makes a great game even better. Lots of new content and mechanics that make for an even deeper and more varied experience. It's a strong port, well adapted for touch screens. Performance-wise it's as good as the PS3 version.

I recommend it on iPad, for sure. It's a steal at $10 but it does go on sale for $3-5 pretty regularly. Yeah, it won't be supported by iOS 11 but that's months from now and you're sure to get your money's worth by then. Besides, it's a wopping 3gb and you probably won't want that hogging up space forever.

Who knows, maybe it will even be updated.

killercow

Enemy Within makes a great game even better. Lots of new content and mechanics that make for an even deeper and more varied experience. It's a strong port, well adapted for touch screens. Performance-wise it's as good as the PS3 version.

I recommend it on iPad, for sure. It's a steal at $10 but it does go on sale for $3-5 pretty regularly. Yeah, it won't be supported by iOS 11 but that's months from now and you're sure to get your money's worth by then. Besides, it's a wopping 3gb and you probably won't want that hogging up space forever.

Who knows, maybe it will even be updated.

Apparently the developer who made the port for 2K has shut down so I wouldn't count on it. Would be great though.

Matt Frost

Wow Sterenden looks pretty cool! Like the drill. Another purchase from me (little bit bored with the repetitive meta thats in Clash Royale right now)

Rlan

Today's the day! Our new game, Dungeon Inc, is now available on iOS and Android!

175x175bb.jpg

I was the designer on Doomsday Clicker, which some of you may remember enjoying from last year. Dungeon, Inc. is a brand new game that mixes clicker style gameplay with raiding and tower defense!

4s3jDrP.png

tumblr_oprd9hct8e1tu022ro4_540.gif

As Dungeon, Inc.’s new Gold Production Manager, you must maximize profits by any means necessary. Nothing is too devious to consider - if it works! Build your dungeon deeper, expand into new environments, and recruit mischievous monsters; the more you tap, the bigger the dungeon, and the more gold you make!

Collect monsters to help defend your dungeon from pesky Tax Knights and rival managers - then send your monsters off to sabotage others! When the insurance value of your dungeon is high enough, trigger an ‘accident’ to cash in on your value and start again.

tumblr_oprd9hct8e1tu022ro1_400.gif
tumblr_oprd9hct8e1tu022ro5_400.gif

Download it for free on iOS & Android! Would love to hear any feedback! Hope you love it!

awp69

Yep, thanks. I grabbed it as a fan of flight and racing games.

It's not bad but not fantastic either. Kind of bear bones and less polished than most Atypical games -- probably why it is also cheaper at $2.99.

No tutorial or introduction. Just a series of races with and without weapons. Controls are very arcady but work well enough. Haven't played multiplayer but appears to have both WiFi local multiplayer and online multiplayer so that's nice (though I'm not much of a MP person).

Edit: Didn't realize Atypical is publishing this for an indie dev, Edon Games. That probably makes the comparison a bit unfair even though I can clearly see some of Atypical's markings on it.

Matt Frost

Run-a-Whale is fantastic all around. Really good endless runner with personality, lots of small details that make the whole package amazing, is incredible the amount of polish this thing has. And to think that it was made by one guy alone. And the most important thing, a fun game thats addictive and compelling to play. It has a mission system and along these missions are boss fights. And from what i seen on the trailer they seem fun (havent reach level 5 to encounter my first boss!! Yay excited!!). All this for 1$ without any iap. Man the wait was worth it, so much.

Now to find wifi and download the vertical shooter...

Steredeen touch controls are really good, which was my main concern. If you like hectic bullet hells and roguelikes, check it out.

Matt Frost

Agree on Sterendenn, pretty solid so far. I feel is R-Type all over again. Controls like MB says are solid, they use multitouch and gestures to pick weapons or upgrades, swipe up or down to change weapon. Nice and intuitive. Cool soundtrack, even better pixel graphics. Awesome action. The game never loads is just flawless there. Nice story. Nice designs. Well worth its price. GameCenter and all. Two awesome games today so far, this one and Run-A-Whale.

Oynox

The Sims Mobile game is coming out "soon"

https://www.ea.com/en-gb/games/the-sims/the-sims-mobile

I'm excited.

Still waiting for that skateboard game to come out.

I had to admit that I played Sims Freeplay for some time as well due to the Tamagotchi like nature of it. Somehow appealing to send your Sim to bed, when you are going to bed, send him to work if you are going to work etc. Now I am wondering if they will slowly end support for Freeplay or if both games live along because they are "two different products" or such.

awp69

Slightly off topic but if anyone has Amazon Prime and wanted to try Oxenfree, the PC version is free with Twitch Prime through the 15th.

bonesquad

Today's the day! Our new game, Dungeon Inc, is now available on iOS and Android!

I was the designer on Doomsday Clicker, which some of you may remember enjoying from last year. Dungeon, Inc. is a brand new game that mixes clicker style gameplay with raiding and tower defense!

As Dungeon, Inc.’s new Gold Production Manager, you must maximize profits by any means necessary. Nothing is too devious to consider - if it works! Build your dungeon deeper, expand into new environments, and recruit mischievous monsters; the more you tap, the bigger the dungeon, and the more gold you make!

Collect monsters to help defend your dungeon from pesky Tax Knights and rival managers - then send your monsters off to sabotage others! When the insurance value of your dungeon is high enough, trigger an ‘accident’ to cash in on your value and start again.

Download it for free on iOS & Android! Would love to hear any feedback! Hope you love it!

I love the look of the game, but the song that plays when you trigger an accident is a big downgrade from the epic anthem that played in Doomsday...

At first this seemed like a reskinned Doomsday, but the tower defense aspect is, interesting. Is there a negative impact to auditors making their way through rooms? Also, the countdown clock is confusing. Why does the clock just sit there sometimes and not count down? And why does the clock have to be right there so I can accidentally click fast forward when trying to click crates... :)

Rlan

I love the look of the game, but the song that plays when you trigger an accident is a big downgrade from the epic anthem that played in Doomsday...

At first this seemed like a reskinned Doomsday, but the tower defense aspect is, interesting. Is there a negative impact to auditors making their way through rooms? Also, the countdown clock is confusing. Why does the clock just sit there sometimes and not count down? And why does the clock have to be right there so I can accidentally click fast forward when trying to click crates... :)

Haha, we did have a more elaborate song (which you can hear in the trailer) but it didn't fit in the game as much. When we add some more "Insurance claims" I can see them getting real weird :p

Auditors getting through will deduct some Gold from you, and you won't get the chest. Audits get harder over time, but claiming insurance gets you Dungeon Dollars, which you use to buy relics, which allow you to get even further along in the raids and unlock more dungeons.

Clock shouldn't sit there and not count down, might be a bug! We'll look into it. Cheers for playing :)

There are two games that TA is currently loving: Just Ski and Artificial Superintelligence, anyone had the chance to try them out?

I was just thinking that I might be able to get through the April backlog soon enough but it looks like May will wipe away that progress.
Just Ski is from the guy who made Krashlander. Simplifies the controls a bit, and has a more relaxed approach. A nice minimalist style, and simple controls that still require skill and timing to master

The latter game looks like a sci-fi Reigns based on the trailer and description

Oynox

Some games are now more expensive than the PC version of it. For example SPACEPLAN which is 3.49 in Europe now but 2.99 on steam. I am seriously turned off by the latest price changes.

Good news however: Pocketgamer will get a redesign around summer this year.

Regarding releases this week, I am currently playing Crash Club the new game by the Land Sliders makers. I really like the look and feeling of the game and car combat wise prefer it over Clash of Cars, but I fear that the F2P model is just too strong as well.

killercow

Some games are now more expensive than the PC version of it. For example SPACEPLAN which is 3.49 in Europe now but 2.99 on steam. I am seriously turned off by the latest price changes.

Good news however: Pocketgamer will get a redesign around summer this year.

Yay finally! Where did you read that?

Oynox

Yay finally! Where did you read that?

I wrote them a mail, explaining that their design is a real turn off to visit their site though I'd like to and asked if I could get my hope up for a redesign sometime. Got the answer that it is in the works and should be ready around summer.

I've got a 10 hour flight with an 8 hour layover overnight coming up and need an iOS game I can marathon. I'm tempted to pick up planescape torment but I already own it in PC. The last game that really engrossed me on iOS was 80 days but sorcery didn't... would appreciate recommendations

I've got a 10 hour flight with an 8 hour layover overnight coming up and need an iOS game I can marathon. I'm tempted to pick up planescape torment but I already own it in PC. The last game that really engrossed me on iOS was 80 days but sorcery didn't... would appreciate recommendations
You might like Sunless Sea. The text presentation and sense of journeying across unknown terrorities is kind of reminiscent of 80 Days

What genres in particular are you interested in?

You might like Sunless Sea. The text presentation and sense of journeying across unknown terrorities is kind of reminiscent of 80 Days

What genres in particular are you interested in?

I want to say rpg/strat but seems like every time I pick up an iOS ported rpg...I feel like I'm fighting the interface...like FF tactics. In terms of games I've enjoyed...Battleheart, lost socks, loveyoutobits ...but those are 5-10 min diversions.

heringer

Hey guys. I'm out of the loop with iOS gaming lately but I just replaced my iPad Mini 2 with an iPad 2017 (I don't even know how to call it). Any notable games this year plays better on iPad than on iPhone? I'm only aware of Planescape Torment, which I'll be getting soon.

I want to say rpg/strat but seems like every time I pick up an iOS ported rpg...I feel like I'm fighting the interface...like FF tactics. In terms of games I've enjoyed...Battleheart, lost socks, loveyoutobits ...but those are 5-10 min diversions.
• After the End: Forsaken Destiny : A nice isometric puzzle game similar to Monument Valley
• To the Moon : An Adventure point and click game with a heartfelt story
• Death Road to Canada : Action management zombie survival game with a good sense of humor
• Crashlands : RPG builder with dozens of hours of content
• Steamworld Heist : Turn based strategy shooter with a nice aesthetic
• Ember : CRPG made from the ground up for mobile

Slightly off topic but has anyone else noticed the front page of the App Store no longer has the "New Games We Love" banner?

awp69

With Kero Blaster on sale for the first time, I finally picked it up. But honestly am not sure I see the fuss behind it. I had played Pink Hour and thought it was okay but figured the full game may be better. It's not a bad game by any means. Just not for me I guess.

I also bought Trulon, which is also on sale for the first time (although only $1 off at $3.99). Shaun Musgrave gave it a 4.5/5 and always trust him so had it on my wish list. It's a nice, polished RPG with turn based battles using a card mechanic. Not too deep into it but it's challenging and requires some thought into what cards to use to get past battles. Have died several times and had to tweak my approach to win.

Edit: I take back what I said on Kero Blaster. It's growing on me.

Mudo

I picked up a few games for my Ipad Pro 9.7 this evening but i REALLY want Final Fantasy Tactics. Does anyone know if it will still work on iOS 11? It's nearly 20 bucks so i'm not buying if it's breaking in 3 months...

Top Bottom