• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canada Kills Penny!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I always have some cash with me. Fuck people who don't have cash.

Debit/Credit isn't accepted everywhere, and it doesn't always work.

Yes. I use cash almost exclusively unless it's a gigantic purchase. Curse those card users in the express line at the grocery store. It would be much quicker with cash!

Maximus.

Yes this is awesome! Haven't kept pennies in ages. I do agree though it would be cool if prices displayed had tax included too.

Quick

Banned
Good change, I can't remember ever doing anything with pennies beside tossing them in the money jar.

I have a shit ton of pennies in mine collected over 5 years. I probably have like a dollar overall in there.

This is definitely good news, and I hope we include tax on the price tag next.

I have a shit ton of pennies in mine collected over 5 years. I probably have like a dollar overall in there.

This is definitely good news, and I hope we include tax on the price tag next.

What's the big deal about tax being on the price tag? Convenience? How hard is it to roughly add 13% on something in your head? If there's a reason other than convenience then I apologize but I don't see this being a big deal.

red731

tumblr_ly3zhul5j61qjthoto1_500.png

Wait…what do you MEAN they want to kill a penny?

Slavik81

What's the big deal about tax being on the price tag? Convenience? How hard is it to roughly add 13% on something in your head? If there's a reason other than convenience then I apologize but I don't see this being a big deal.

Because:
1. Advertised prices are often simple. Taxes turn them into odd numbers that you need a bunch of change for.
2. You can't get exact change ready in advance unless you know exactly what it costs.

red731

I am sorry, but you dont have full price listed on tags? I thought it was normal - or it is here in Czech Rep and everywhere I was in Europe. But I guess its all due to different currency.

grumble

It lets people get an instinctive picture of the total cost to them. The sticker price has a huge effect on people's purchasing decisions, and the assumption is that for many people they will make better decisions when they are staring at the actual cost of the good or service in black and white.

On the other hand, not adding it in after does obscure the taxes involved to some degree. If I remember right, there was a lot of talk about that a few decades ago and we decided against it.

Slavik81

On the other hand, not adding it in after does obscure the taxes involved to some degree. If I remember right, there was a lot of talk about that a few decades ago and we decided against it.
Personally, I'd like to still see the taxes listed on the receipt if they were combined into the advertised price.

whitehawk

Banned
The LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario, only liquor distributor in Ontario) lists prices with tax included, and it's awesome. Everything is round to the nickel which is also awesome. Many single beers are $2 exactly, so it's awesome not having to deal with change.

Slavik81

I personally hate the absurdity of walking around with a pocket of coins.

You never end up with a pocket full of loonies or toonies because their value is so high that they're easy to spend. At most you might have a pair of toonies.

It's nickels that are the real bane. Quarters are not hard to get rid of, and dimes aren't bad either.

CTE

I hated the absurdity of walking around with a wallet stuffed full of paper $1 bills.
$1 and $2 coins are great.

I hate the weight of coins compared to bills. Plus, 20 bucks in twoonies and loonies in my pocket is a mating call for all homeless I pass on the streets.

isny

napkin dispenser
I try to use cash at smaller businesses to make sure they don't get screwed by the transaction fees, to be honest.

I'm also not going to swipe a credit card at a McDonalds for a 3 dollar hamburger.

Wat? Why not, you'll get cashback and purchase benefits like extended warranty?

I switched solely to credit cards a few years ago and love it. No transaction fees (unlike debit cards) and 1-3% cash back (Smart Cash).

I've used my credit card for purchases under a dollar and don't feel bad about it, this is 2012, no one should have to carry around cash anymore, it's silly.

(Canadian here btw)

Well played Harper, distracting us all with the penny elimination while you cut services and fire people :eek:

We should petition to change Harper's salary to $0.01 per year, so that it will be rounded down and he'll actually get nothing.

CTE

You guys apparently have a hard time telling homeless people "No".

It's not a matter of "no". I've lived in Vancouver and Portland, Or. Two of the worst places in NA for homeless. It's a fucking hassle to have people constantly ask you for change at every turn you make downtown. You enjoy saying no 2 or 3 times every few blocks after getting off the skytrain at Granville?

You telling me you are not tired of the "quarter lady" asking you if you have a quarter every time she sees you even though you said no the past 5 years to her? She doesn't remember faces. I know you know the "quarter lady" if you live in Vancouver and go downtown on a regular basis.

Sober

The plastic $50s just came out. I haven't seen one yet either.

Whoo! Glad to be done with pennies. Just a waste of millions every year.
Saw a new 50$ just yesterday. Looks amazing, the colour looks really good (was kinda hard to tell with the brown on the 100$)

Yes. I use cash almost exclusively unless it's a gigantic purchase. Curse those card users in the express line at the grocery store. It would be much quicker with cash!
Quicker with cash until they decide to pop open their change purse and start counting out exact change while trying to skip having to give away anything larger than a quarter.

What kind of a Canadian still uses non-electronic currency? Tim's started allowing debit a while ago.

After the number of times I've seen actual Subway franchises skim interac cards you might consider using physical currency, too. I love interac for a lot of general purpose reasons (simple to use, much more fiscally responsible than credit or cheques) but there are still risks...

isny said:
I've used my credit card for purchases under a dollar and don't feel bad about it, this is 2012, no one should have to carry around cash anymore, it's silly.

I don't feel bad about it either, if the business allows it. But obviously many businesses (small ones) will not at that ~$5 level since the fee they pay on the transaction can be upwards of 10%

xbhaskarx

The US needs to eliminate both the penny and the nickel, the dime should be the lowest monetary unit in circulation. I hate it when I get pennies and nickels as change, I usually just leave them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom