• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Simcity, it's actually a very well made game.

I've had a lot of fun with the game. I find it to be fun and addicting as well.

Doesn't change the fact that it's a total trainwreck.

imjust1n

Banned
HPLKA1q.png

Seriously, fuck you.

Are you mad?

Amir0x

Banned
It is against the rules to enjoy a game the GAF hivemind has decided against.

It's far more against the rules to say GAF has a hivemind, though, since there is no such thing as a GAF hivemind. We won't even comment on how lazy it makes the individual using said phrase look; if he cannot be arsed to explain the reasons why he feels others are wrong, why should anyone bother with what he says?

I think it's pretty great. I understand why a lot of fans don't like it, even outside of inhumane launch/DRM. There's some pretty great stuff going on there mechanically and aesthetically though.

SamVT

From what I played it's a good game so far, slow progress but there's depth to it. Trying to get your blocks to develop while making money and upgrading buildings / adding to it. I really really enjoy it.

However, right now it's crap. I cannot play. Took today off for the launch, my grfx card didn't play it so I had to go out and buy a new one (upgrade was due). I loved loved Simcity on the SNES, Simcity 2000 I played for 3 months non stop (honestly, non stop!) and 3000 and 4. But this entire server crap is just bonkers.

We released Curiosity and had server problems, those were concurrent sessions. There's no concurrency here other than the global trading. I think the problem is their login servers and syncing everyone's cities, but that's server side not client, so why on earth doesn't it just work? WHY DOESN'T IT WORK?

It's my birthday tomorrow, I've waited 10 years for a new decent Simcity, a new one comes out and I can't play it. Please fix your issues EA and Maxis. I know you're crunching now to fix this, hurry. HURRY.

The game itself, is good. Really enjoying it but I give up for tonight.

imjust1n

Banned
People are just angry because they're always online like the DRM requests, but the game isn't.

It's funny how people can complain about only online when they don't play the campaign of cod and go straight to multiplayer? My Internet doesn't stop so why complain? Oh I know why because you had to wait to play the game oh that's why you hate the game. Lol

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
It's funny how people can complain about only online when they don't play the campaign of cod and go straight to multiplayer? My Internet doesn't stop so why complain? Oh I know why because you had to wait to play the game oh that's why you hate the game. Lol

Why should someone have to wait or not be able to play a game they payed for hmm?

Seik

Banned

You won't be happy when they'll shut the servers (and the game, now that it's server dependant) in 4-5 years.

That's what they want, when they'll release a new Sim City they shut this one to force people who bought it to go to the next.

GetemMa

I completely disagree with the OP.

SimCity has sacrificed scale for the sake of graphics, animations, multiplayer, and incessant micromanaging.

A mayor of a (somewhat) large city wouldn't be micromanaging every single thing. In Sim City 4 you had your budget and made decisions on what percentage of the budget you gave to the police department, the fire department, the health department, and transportation. Each department had their own discretionary budget. Sure you placed the police stations and fire houses but really the game was about how the more money you gave them, the better services they provided. In the new SimCity you are literally deciding which police station can have how many police cars. How many school buses the elementary gets. Your putting signs and flag poles on the fire house. There is a constant need to micromanage every little detail. It is like the City doesn't have layers of government. There is no police/fire commissioner or a head of the health department. You decide where the god damn bus stops will be for crying out loud. Worse yet, unless you have a university in your town, your citizens aren't smart enough and they act like lemmings on suicide watch. They are constantly burning down buildings and getting sick even if you air/water pollution is non existent and the sewage system is perfect. And just when you have gotten things equalized and manageable some stupid crap like a Zombie invasion decimates your game. This crap is not fun. I say that without reservation. The tiny maps take away any creativity you could apply in your game because you are so cramped for space you have to utilize every block. I was packing in people and business where ever I could find space and I ended up feeling like a glorified slum lord. My city had no design ethic what so ever.

You know what is really sad? This is the stuff that Maxis sacrificed scale for. I would rather play with big cities and have NPC mayors in neighboring cities offering trades of service but instead we have multiplayer which is at the mercy of every trolling idiot who manages to connect to EA's 1 server.

Don't spend $60 on this game. Don't even play it for free if you liked SimCity 4

/Rant over

MormaPope

Banned

CoD's single player can still be played if you aren't connected to the internet. Also your perspective/circumstances allows you to play the game, for many others it doesn't. Why implement a system that only allows people with your circumstances play the game?

Especially one where the multiplayer component isn't needed to enjoy or play the game?

That's why people are mad, and rightfully so.

prwxv3

Is pretty ironic that Sim City was a chance for EA to get goodwill but instead its becomes one of their biggest fuckups.

Woo-Fu

Banned
We won't even comment on how lazy it makes the individual using said phrase look; if he cannot be arsed to explain the reasons why he feels others are wrong, why should anyone bother with what he says?

You mean all the people saying this guy is wrong about enjoying the game?

To me, it represents the death of another cherished franchise to appease casualtards who hate depth and meaningful strategy and think multitasking is some type of tofu (R.I.P. Hitman, Tomb Raider, Sim City).

I have to start accepting that the industry as it is now basically is demanding the death of everything that has ever been good about games, because they are killing original, superior gameplay formulas left and right and inserting shitty AAA MODERN GAME DESIGN™ garbage into even the most unassuming game, such as SimCity.

Always Online DRM is just karma, if karma exists. Which it doesn't, but it's fun saying it's karma. 'Cause fuck most publishers/developers today and their drive to destroy anything that's good about games.

It's also not the casualtards as much as it is the people flooding this "profitable" industry from other industries and only rely on market research. There's a lot to the gaming industry that we don't hear about thanks to NDA's but if it peoples hands weren't tied or mouths covered, we'd all have a real nice picture on how fucked up these large publishing groups are.

I don't have it yet (waiting for the mac release). That being said, I agree it looks like a pretty fantastic game based on the gameplay videos that I've been watching on youtube.

Unfortunately this game's horrible launch is going to leave a lasting impression on people. I'm willing to bet that if the launch had gone smoothly people would not be complaining as much about the smaller city size issues. The whole smaller city size thing was known and complained about months prior to the release, and in the weeks leading up to the launch it actually looked like the vast majority of the people in the simcity neogaf thread were okay with it for the most part. I think we all want larger cities, but it seemed like most people were still very excited about the new glassbox engine and regional play.

So I agree with the OP even though I realize this is an unpopular opinion at the moment. The game still looks to be incredibly deep and fun to play. I just hope they get it to a functional state sometime soon.

Don't get me wrong, people who bought the game definitely have the right to be pissed. It just seems like underneath the shit storm there is actually a pretty decent game.

Amir0x

Banned
You mean all the people saying this guy is wrong about enjoying the game?

I just mean, if you're going to say GAF has a hivemind, or joke about that, why don't you instead spend the time describing in detail why you feel a particular individual is wrong... because there are tons of people on GAF who dislike the game, and tons who love it... there's no singular neoGAF voice. So it just seems lazy when someone says that... like they don't want to spend the same effort all these other people are to describe their thoughts.

It's also not the casualtards as much as it is the people flooding this "profitable" industry from other industries and only rely on market research. There's a lot to the gaming industry that we don't hear about thanks to NDA's but if it peoples hands weren't tied or mouths covered, we'd all have a real nice picture on how fucked up these large publishing groups are.

Yeah, I get you. But I mean, the current development environment in this industry seems to be bent on trying to desperately explain every agonizing detail of the gameplay, even when it's the shallowest piece of shit around, just in the off chance somebody is mentally handicapped is trying to pass your gameplay. And I'm not saying that to be mean to disabled individuals, I'm saying that to describe the amount of trust developers have in 90% of the gaming public these days. They just straight think everybody has a huge mental disability, because it is the only possible way to explain exactly why publishers and devs across the map have painstakingly chipped away at every bit of gameplay design that requires individual skill or meaningful thought. In its place is hugely guided experiences or cut up design scenarios where you have the sort of illusion that the game might be the same one you loved at the surface, but where any bit of meaningful depth has been sacrificed at the altar of expedience.

Grief.exe

SimCity has sacrificed scale for the sake of graphics, animations, multiplayer, and incessant micromanaging.

A mayor of a (somewhat) large city wouldn't be micromanaging every single thing. In Sim City 4 you had your budget and made decisions on what percentage of the budget you gave to the police department, the fire department, the health department, and transportation. Each department had their own discretionary budget. Sure you placed the police stations and fire houses but really the game was about how the more money you gave them, the better services they provided. In the new SimCity you are literally deciding which police station can have how many police cars. How many school buses the elementary gets. Your putting signs and flag poles on the fire house. There is a constant need to micromanage every little detail. It is like the City doesn't have layers of government. There is no police/fire commissioner or a head of the health department. You decide where the god damn bus stops will be for crying out loud. Worse yet, unless you have a university in your town, your citizens aren't smart enough and they act like lemmings on suicide watch. They are constantly burning down buildings and getting sick even if you air/water pollution is non existent and the sewage system is perfect. And just when you have gotten things equalized and manageable some stupid crap like a Zombie invasion decimates your game. This crap is not fun. I say that without reservation. The tiny maps take away any creativity you could apply in your game because you are so cramped for space you have to utilize every block. I was packing in people and business where ever I could find space and I ended up feeling like a glorified slum lord. My city had no design ethic what so ever.

You know what is really sad? This is the stuff that Maxis sacrificed scale for. I would rather play with big cities and have NPC mayors in neighboring cities offering trades of service but instead we have multiplayer which is at the mercy of every trolling idiot who manages to connect to EA's 1 server.

Don't spend $60 on this game. Don't even play it for free if you liked SimCity 4

/Rant over

Good read

Zeliard

/Rant over

That sounds completely abysmal.

Paskil

What does tripe mean? Lol

Not a viral market, I enjoy the game and want to see if people agree instead of bashing the game because of being online only.

Tripe is delicious in menudo and pho. I'm pretty sure they're calling you a shitbird though and not the stomach lining of a cow.

Eusis

So I have to not like a game because you don't? Doesn't make any sense.
To me it's less you're "not allowed to like what I don't like" and more you don't have a right to be so utterly dismissive about our issues. There's admittedly some bandwagoning here, though partially because if want to make a point we HAVE to avoid buying the game, but these are legitimate, serious issues. But it's not even a matter of taste, it's a matter of releasing a product that's fundamentally broken (for now at least) because they wanted to go with a consumer unfriendly DRM set up rather than just have a somewhat crippled offline mode and an online mode that tries interesting new things. We'd probably still be mocking their servers going down if they offered that and they got overloaded anyway, but you have your game and you can enjoy it.

And it's worth remembering everyone has finite time and as I recall the waits CAN be long with intermittent disconnections, and unlike an arcade they're big and should reasonably be able to predict how many would play and prepare for that, so I think it's fair to be angry when they tried to force something like this on everyone and screwed up.

Spl1nter

A mayor of a (somewhat) large city wouldn't be micromanaging every single thing. In Sim City 4 you had your budget and made decisions on what percentage of the budget you gave to the police department, the fire department, the health department, and transportation. Each department had their own discretionary budget. Sure you placed the police stations and fire houses but really the game was about how the more money you gave them, the better services they provided. In the new SimCity you are literally deciding which police station can have how many police cars. How many school buses the elementary gets. Your putting signs and flag poles on the fire house. There is a constant need to micromanage every little detail. It is like the City doesn't have layers of government. There is no police/fire commissioner or a head of the health department. You decide where the god damn bus stops will be for crying out loud. Worse yet, unless you have a university in your town, your citizens aren't smart enough and they act like lemmings on suicide watch. They are constantly burning down buildings and getting sick even if you air/water pollution is non existent and the sewage system is perfect.

Don't even play it for free if you liked SimCity 4

This is all bullshit. Your placing down of add ons affects your budget, just a different way of doing it and allowing modular design. Its a lot smarter gameplay system than your plopable having the exact same radius of effect for its entire area and increasing based budget of effect in simcity 4. Bus stops, because you didnt place that down in simcity 4, dont remember having to use a 1x1 grid space for a bus stop? Air/water/ground pollution I made a city of 100 000 and didnt have any of those, its a gameplay mechanic. Play around it. I wonder if you liked simcity 4 since you cant handle similar game mechanics in this game.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Dude... I think I Iove you, this is pure comedy gold.

"Why are people angry at the game? Only because they can't play it? It's just a game".

Seriously, if you made this into a stand-up routine I'd totally buy your DVDs.

GetemMa

This is all bullshit. Your placing down of add ons affects your budget, just a different way of doing it and allowing modular design. Its a lot smarter gameplay system than your plopable having the exact same radius of effect for its entire area and increasing based budget of effect in simcity 4. Bus stops, because you didnt place that down in simcity 4, dont remember having to use a 1x1 grid space for a bus stop? Air/water/ground pollution I made a city of 100 000 and didnt have any of those, its a gameplay mechanic. Play around it. I wonder if you liked simcity 4 since you cant handle similar game mechanics in this game.

NO SHIT? Of course the add ons affect the budget. I realize that. I'm saying I don't want to constantly deal with add-ons, which is micromanagement bullshit that is not even remotely close to fun. Sim City 4 was not hung up on this crap. SimCity is all about micromanagement. Maybe you find this shit fun. I find it lame as shit.

Also, I said I had ZERO pollution. Perfect water and perfectly clean air yet my citizens are catching diseases constantly I had An elementary school and a highschool, yet my citizens are so incredibly stupid that they are constantly burning down buildings. This in an economy where everyone has little smiley faces telling me how happy they are. How does any of this make sense beyond the explanation that the AI just has to throw you curve balls to make the game even moderately interesting?

All the while the player has almost zero control over design of their city because the map sizes are tiny and it is just cram cram cram it all in. Even when you specialize neighboring cities and set up trade you are still cramming away and making small ugly cities. This is nothing like Sim City 4.

SimCity 4 was mainly about city design and strategy in that regard. The new SimCity is about all this micromanagement bullshit. It isn't fun. It is tedious at best. At least 1 person enjoys it. There you go EA.

Shambles

I get the whole drm always online argument so let's lay that to rest.

Let's talk about the actual game. The mechanics and gameplay are very well done. From a rpg/upgrade system to connection with friends in your region. The awesome animations in watching your city grow and always wanting more. I've put a lot of hours so far into the game. My question is besides the drm and small maps what did you like about the gameplay? do you go on twitch and watch people play?

Pathetic damage control at its finest.

Look what else has backfired today, from the other thread:

21ca7Lt.jpg

HAHAHA. I'm rolling over this stuff.

EA has definitely activated their viral sleeper cells over this.

Wooooooow

To me, the issues with the game started even before the server issues cropped up. There is honestly a fundamental mechanical issue with how the game is designed. Its clear from the outset that the game was designed around the idea of collaboration with the other "cities" in the region, which at face value seems like a nifty idea. But when you throw in the fact that it also depends on shared, finite resources, while the game is played asynchronously, then the whole design kind of blows up. If you are selling your water to another city and one or both of you do not have that city currently active, how does that resource issue get resolved? Are your resources being drained while you're not playing? Do they drain while you're active and he's not? There's no way to resolve that situation fairly. If they don't get depleted when you're away then the ideal situation is to set up a city that exports and never play it. That's just bad design, it doesn't work. Finite resources shared amongst asynchronous players just doesn't work and can't be made to work in any logical matter.

mavs

SimCity 4 was mainly about city design and strategy in that regard. The new SimCity is about all this micromanagement bullshit. It isn't fun. It is tedious at best. At least 1 person enjoys it. There you go EA.

SimCity 4 absolutely was about bullshit like placing bus stops and micromanaging sliders. And it was a fun game.

But they had 10 years to improve on it.

I was able to play for 4-5 hours last night (one disconnect which caused me to lose about 3 minutes of progress). I do think the game is really fun though. Great simulation engine, and I do think the region mechanics are really cool. When I tiled my camera back and I could see all of my friends cities in the region, that was fucking awesome.

I feel bad that EA/Maxis fucked up the launch so bad since that's going to leave a lasting impression on people. EA better release tons of free DLC or something to make up for this.

Top Bottom