• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Community Season 3 |OT| Six Seasons and a Movie... feels Goodman!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I enjoy all the episodes.

I'm seeing this prevailing attitude that every single show needs to constantly and consistently show character progression, growth, and have some endgame . Why? I Love Lucy is a Classic TV Comedy that stands the test of time. People today love it just as much as people 50 years ago did. And there was very little character progression. There was no underlying message or goal of expression. It was just a funny show about people. Why is it that so many people think that's a bad thing today?

destrudo

I enjoy all the episodes.

I'm seeing this prevailing attitude that every single show needs to constantly and consistently show character progression, growth, and have some endgame . Why? I Love Lucy is a Classic TV Comedy that stands the test of time. People today love it just as much as people 50 years ago did. And there was very little character progression. There was no underlying message or goal of expression. It was just a funny show about people. Why is it that so many people think that's a bad thing today?

Not every show needs those things, I agree. But you're comparing a modern show to one 50 years ago, peoples tastes have changed and television has changed since then. Even in the last 10 years peoples expectations have changed significantly. But the real reason so many people bring it up is because Community early on had character growth and progression. It wasn't significant sure, but it was enough that it was satisfying - like the episode with Troy which was already mentioned. It's not hard to understand why some people would rather they bring back some of that rather than just being purely experimental.

gabbo

The show is at its best when it does the character stuff while being experimental. The claymation one etc.
Exactly. Experimentation also doesn't need to be flashy or in your face. Critical Film Studies for instance has character depth and silly experiments used for the plot.

Not every show needs those things, I agree. But you're comparing a modern show to one 50 years ago, peoples tastes have changed and television has changed since then. Even in the last 10 years peoples expectations have changed significantly. But the real reason so many people bring it up is because Community early on had character growth and progression. It wasn't significant sure, but it was enough that it was satisfying - like the episode with Troy which was already mentioned. It's not hard to understand why some people would rather they bring back some of that rather than just being purely experimental.

Well, as I mentioned.. I Love Lucy still entertains today. There's a reason why it's still in syndication on multiple networks. It still gains new viewers everyday. Society has changed, but funny is funny.

Early Community was a different show. It was a show about a shamed lawyer going to this crappy Community College and dealing with these weird people will all these social issues. However through the life of Community it's changed. It's no longer about a shamed lawyer, now it's about a rag tag group of friends who happen to attend this community college. They've all still grown as people too.. it's just not the primary focus. None of the characters are anywhere near as neurotic as they were in the initial episodes. Even Britta, who everyone loves to say has been dumbed down, isn't actually dumbed down as much as she's no longer as defensive around the group. She's not putting up the facade anymore. She's in Community College just like the rest of them and she's taking, and struggling, with the classes just the same as the rest of them.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Casual viewers are people who will prefer to switch over to CBS or FOX and watch BBT or Idol so they don't have to use their brains while watching TV because the TV tells them when to laugh instead of them using their brains to figure out what's funny and what isn't. They need a laugh track to tell them when to laugh and a judge to tell them when music is awful or good.

And I like all episodes. But you have to see what I mean when I say casual. Last season NBC changed the episodes around in order to make the show more "accessible" to new people coming in so as to not completely scare them away. This season they're going wacky right out of the gate as if to say they aren't even going to try and get the casuals anymore. That's all I meant.

And dammit, the wacky episodes were some of my favorite stuff ever on TV last season so bring it on. I'm just predicting the fourth season will be more like Remidial Chaos and less like Mixology. And I know that isn't what some people might prefer, but its how I see it playing out. Hopefully I'm wrong and it's a nice mix of wacky and "normal".

beat

I consider myself a huge Community fan, and normal episodes are still streets ahead compared to Abed's dream room stuff
I simply do not get the hate for the Dreamatorium ep. It was weird, it was fun, it had heart and it earned it. What else would you want?

I just prefer Season 1 Abed to Season 3 Abed, and that's a Season 3 episode with lots of Abed.

I still like it, quite a lot actually. I thought it was very successful in what it set out to do. It just wasn't as good to me as it was to others simply because it wasn't centered around a particularly great character.

That's why I don't really rate it compared to other episodes. It's also a really fucking quirky episode with an out-there premise, so it being divisive isn't some difficult-to-grasp concept.

BJK

Will post OT tomorrow if all goes well. Last call for any titles. I've already taken the ones posted into consideration.

Community Season 4 |OT| #SixSeasonsAndAMeme

Community Season 4 |OT| Oh, Britta's in this? *Adjusts expectations downward*

Community Season 4 |OT| Harmon-y no more

Quick

Banned
Community Season 4 |OT|: I remember when this show was about community college.

ibhR0KyI4kjRO6.gif

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Will post OT tomorrow if all goes well. Last call for any titles. I've already taken the ones posted into consideration.
I still vote for whatever it was I suggested a few months ago. If anyone can remember it, make that the title.

Oh yeah!

"Community Season 4 |OT| The center slice of a square cheese pizza"

It's perfect. Use it.

tj hazuki

Notsure if this one already been mentioned but if not..

Community Season 4 |OT| Troy and Abed in the morning
Community Season 4 |OT| I am batman
Community Season 4 |OT| Pop, Pop!

beat

It's also a really fucking quirky episode with an out-there premise, so it being divisive isn't some difficult-to-grasp concept.
It is when it's this show. "Quirky episodes with out-there premises" are often the most-loved episodes among this fandom. The Goodfellas ep. Paintball. Law & Order. Clip show. Mockumentary.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It is when it's this show. "Quirky episodes with out-there premises" are often the most-loved episodes among this fandom. The Goodfellas ep. Paintball. Law & Order. Clip show. Mockumentary.
Not to mention that there is apparently a
Die Hard
episode. It's apparently the
Christmas
episode.

Spoilered just in case.

You know what is going to be hard is figuring out when the seasonal episodes will be coming now that the seasons have already passed us. If the show was supposed to start October 19th, I guess the Halloween episode will be the third episode. Thanksgiving 3 or 4 weeks later. Christmas another 4 after that. But then again, how close to the end of the season were these episodes supposed to be? Given that it was only 13 episodes. Oh how I wish they'd give us a back nine if only to let us savor it before it's inevitably gone forever.

Froli

I just found this new series lol. I'm lucky enough to have many episodes to watch and enjoy, just to catch up xD

-Edit-
Crap, didn't see the 4th season OT -_-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom