• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Probably worth posting about this here since it's starting to get quite a bit of attention from Japanese fans too. There's something very strange going on with the broadcast of this series on the Fukuoka and Hokkaido stations. Both these stations air the show 2 days after MBS, but yet viewers have noticed something really odd: they seem be airing an incomplete and edited version of the show.

Now this isn't just straight censorship, because while certain scenes do appear to be intentionally censored, there are various completely innocuous scenes which simply appear to... not be there. In their place is often some generic background still, or the previous scene with the final frame left on screen while the dialogue continues on. All symptoms of a production being rushed to air before it is completed.

But yet... the MBS and TokyoMX stations air the show earlier and in their complete form. So does Crunchyroll and FUNimation. Why would two stations broadcasting the show 2 days later end up with an incomplete version? The only reasonable answer I can think of is that the stations might require the materials earlier than usual for the purpose of censorship based on their internal broadcast standards, but the episodes are incomplete at the point they require them. This might also be why FUNimation and Crunchyroll have both encountered simulcast delays for certain episodes because they did not receive materials in time.

If the production is really so rushed that entire scenes are only completed right in time for the first broadcast, it seems like just a matter of time before even that security blanket collapses and they just need more buffer. I wonder when we'll start getting recap episodes. :p

If what I'm saying makes no sense, it has to be seen to be believed. Someone compiled comparison videos showing how scenes differ between the normal version and the Fukuoka version of episodes 4 and 5.

(Warning: Spoilers [duh])

Ep4: http://nicoviewer.net/sm20766154
Ep5: http://nicoviewer.net/sm20807007

LOL, what the heck duckroll?

What? I didn't do anything.

Probably worth posting about this here since it's starting to get quite a bit of attention from Japanese fans too. There's something very strange going on with the broadcast of this series on the Fukuoka and Hokkaido stations. Both these stations air the show 2 days after MBS, but yet viewers have noticed something really odd: they seem be airing an incomplete and edited version of the show..

Do people in JPN have streaming platforms for the episodes, seems unfair to those that view it on those stations to see incomplete versions :(

Branduil

I hope when they make season 2 in a couple of years they do a better job with their schedule.

Edit: man that editing is soooo bad. One shot is just the sky, LOL.

Permanently A

Like this?

iVgUnp5Yj3ZGd.gif

brilliant

Probably worth posting about this here since it's starting to get quite a bit of attention from Japanese fans too. There's something very strange going on with the broadcast of this series on the Fukuoka and Hokkaido stations. Both these stations air the show 2 days after MBS, but yet viewers have noticed something really odd: they seem be airing an incomplete and edited version of the show.

Now this isn't just straight censorship, because while certain scenes do appear to be intentionally censored, there are various completely innocuous scenes which simply appear to... not be there. In their place is often some generic background still, or the previous scene with the final frame left on screen while the dialogue continues on. All symptoms of a production being rushed to air before it is completed.

But yet... the MBS and TokyoMX stations air the show earlier and in their complete form. So does Crunchyroll and FUNimation. Why would two stations broadcasting the show 2 days later end up with an incomplete version? The only reasonable answer I can think of is that the stations might require the materials earlier than usual for the purpose of censorship based on their internal broadcast standards, but the episodes are incomplete at the point they require them. This might also be why FUNimation and Crunchyroll have both encountered simulcast delays for certain episodes because they did not receive materials in time.

If the production is really so rushed that entire scenes are only completed right in time for the first broadcast, it seems like just a matter of time before even that security blanket collapses and they just need more buffer. I wonder when we'll start getting recap episodes. :p

If what I'm saying makes no sense, it has to be seen to be believed. Someone compiled comparison videos showing how scenes differ between the normal version and the Fukuoka version of episodes 4 and 5.

(Warning: Spoilers [duh])

Ep4: http://nicoviewer.net/sm20766154
Ep5: http://nicoviewer.net/sm20807007

What? I didn't do anything.

Hahaha, this is amazing. I can't believe they would do this to a broadcast. And I like how they keep reusing the same background images as well.

If what you're saying about the production being rushed is true, then future episodes will probably have scenes cut out and be in the BD releases. I also can't imagine them NOT having one or two recap episodes.

Makoto

That kind of stuff takes over people's entire personality sometimes. It's just how different people react to trauma in different ways.
Or the author isn't good at writing characters. It's not as if any of the supporting cast has much of a personality either, perhaps with the exception of Sasha.

Attack on Titan is the manga author's first work.

That kind of stuff takes over people's entire personality sometimes. It's just how different people react to trauma in different ways.

Yeah, but he just goes on and on about how he's going to kill every last one of them. I was like "Dude, did you see those fucking things? That's not happening".

Or the author isn't good at writing characters. It's not as if any of the supporting cast has much of a personality either, perhaps with the exception of Sasha.

Attack on Titan is the manga author's first work.

You're not really saying why they're poorly written beyond "lol revenge", which isn't exactly outside the realm of possibility. It's not like we're talking about bipolar characters that are portrayed as if they're in the right like the cast of Naruto.

The other characters just aren't fleshed out as much.

It's not irrational. Eren is a terrible character.

I thought Eren is one of the better written and designed characters in the genre, confident, future minded, willing to go at any cost against any odds to do the good thing, having his friends first, etc.

I think where the writing fails though was in how it handled Eren and making any lasting achievements.

I think its important to keep in mind that Attack on Titan is written primarily for teenage boys. It was never going to be a nuanced character study about humans coping with their eventual demise at the hands of terrifying monsters.

Jarmel

Banned
You're not really saying why they're poorly written beyond "lol revenge", which isn't exactly outside the realm of possibility. It's not like we're talking about bipolar characters that are portrayed as if they're in the right like the cast of Naruto.

The problem is the way he emotes. Eren was a little shit even before the Titan attacks. Part of this is the problem of the direction in that he's always yelling and the other problem is Kaji.

Makoto

Eren's poorly written because almost everything else about Attack on Titan is lazily written. The world building sucks. You'd think Eren would have done something besides huffing and puffing his chest in those 5 years we didn't get to see. Something had to have happened in those 5 years, learning a new trade, a new technique, met new people. Eren's got a few traits to his character, huffing and puffing "Imma get my revenge" and then pouting is the other. But those two aren't enough to form a personality so when you say I haven't said why he's poorly written beyond "lol revenge" it's because that's the extent of his personality.

I think its important to keep in mind that Attack on Titan is written primarily for teenage boys. It was never going to be a nuanced character study about humans coping with their eventual demise at the hands of terrifying monsters.
It's Transformers for the anime crowd.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Eren has plenty of characterization (to not be a joke character)

From turning to a cat when he almost failed out of training camp before it even started to casually talking about promotions and whatnot before shit got real in ep5. Its not like he's all go all the time.

Most importantly, it doesn't really seem like the show is all about him. He main be the main character, but this is about the Titans more than anything else.

Just because he's dumb doesn't mean he's a bad character.

I'm not too sure on what people want to be honest. The show is focused entirely on interaction with the titans. I think most conversation in the show involves the titans in some fashion. It makes sense considering that that Eren's impetus for his actions would come up on a somewhat frequent basis.

The show also doesn't spend a lot of time on side exposition for the characters so it doesn't really make sense to expect "deep" characters when there hasn't been enough showtime or scenes dedicated to even cover that sort of thing. I put deep in quotations because the word in this context is so nebulous I don't see any point to calling a specific character deep when one person's deep is another person's shallow.

Eren's poorly written because almost everything else about Attack on Titan is lazily written. The world building sucks. You'd think Eren would have done something besides huffing and puffing his chest in those 5 years we didn't get to see. Something had to have happened in those 5 years, learning a new trade, a new technique, met new people. Eren's got a few traits to his character, huffing and puffing "Imma get my revenge" and then pouting is the other. But those two aren't enough to form a personality so when you say I haven't said why he's poorly written beyond "lol revenge" it's because that's the extent of his personality.

They seem to have given a good bit of information already about the world they live in. At least the parts that are known to the characters. The funny part about your post is that you stated he didn't learn anything or meet new people even though he did exactly that. Eren learned about the other people in training with him and their motivations, how to fight in close quarters combat, how to use the 3D maneuver gear. Eren is somewhat abrasive, but he has the ability to inspire people with his words and passion which he demonstrated a few times in the last couple of episodes. He also got to the top 10 in his class through determination. He also has the desire to
see the outside world because he's tired of being kept within the walls + Armin's book and description of the things you can find in the outside world.
He wants to take charge and accomplish things with his own hands. The reason they didn't spend even more time on that is because there are other characters in the show and the show isn't focused primarily on that kind of thing but the action in addition to interaction with the titans. That doesn't seem bland to me or insufficient to "form a personality" to me. But I guess my standards are different.

It's Transformers for the anime crowd.

Not a bad way of looking at it. To clarify my position, I don't find the characters themselves too interesting but I do find the way the writer subverts the standard shounen tropes to be interesting. The characters will often spout the same thing you see things like Naruto, One Piece, ect. about believing in your NAKAMA!, and willpower trumps all but the characters are repeatedly beaten by the terrible reality of the titans and their own limits.

Branduil

I'm not saying Eren is any kind of deep character but let's not forget that at the end of episode 5
we learn that what he really wants is to explore the outside world.
He's not just all-revenge, all-the-time(just mostly).

Not a bad way of looking at it. To clarify my position, I don't find the characters themselves too interesting but I do find the way the writer subverts the standard shounen tropes to be interesting. The characters will often spout the same thing you see things like Naruto, One Piece, ect. about believing in your NAKAMA!, and willpower trumps all but the characters are repeatedly beaten by the terrible reality of the titans and their own limits.

Yeah, this is similar to how I feel. Eren is a standard shounen protagonist except the reason for his "impossibly strong will" seems to be depicted as mental issues.

I'm not saying Eren is any kind of deep character but let's not forget that at the end of episode 5
we learn that what he really wants is to explore the outside world.
He's not just all-revenge, all-the-time(just mostly).

Well, now he gets
to explore that titan's digestive system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom