• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega accidentally leaks minutes of meeting with SCEA - PS2 emulation & more discussed

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
There are no accidents when it comes to marketing to a highly vocal, enthusiast base like us.

Why should they spend millions building hype for things when we'll all do it for free?

Sega just earned genius points for this. The ideas sound hot as hell too. Chu Chu Rocket please.

PSGames

jim-jam bongs said:
While I don't speak for everyone that would certainly tip me over the edge. That's a massive library to make available at your fingertips.

Exactly. People that say BC isn't a system seller are fools. Especially when it's the best selling console of all time.

Safe Bet

Banned
NinjaFusion said:
i can't believe you fuckers haven't noticed this...

THOR FOR FUCKS SAKE!!!!
Nothing in life is a sure bet, but this sucking is probably as close as it gets.

PSGames said:
Exactly. People that say BC isn't a system seller are fools. Especially when it's the best selling console of all time.
The only time I doubted GAF's intelligence was when we had so many members arguing AGAINST b/c.

Linkified

All the stuff sounds awsome that they have mentioned in the minutes but doubt any of the psn stuff would come to the uk psn.

Squash

If the PS2 emulation ends up being true, they really have no other choice but to throw everything they can at getting DC stuff as well. Corner the last gen market. Though it seems more logical to put it on PSN anyway for Japan.

V_Ben

Banned
wow. sega are winnar :p im guessing this is still good pr though :p there sure is some positive feedback in this thread :lol

PSGames said:

the DS?

any way if all this is real oh fuck:( to bad it all got leaked hope they still some stuff to shock us

plufim

PS2 emulator for PS3 (confidential)
 SCEA wants to sell all PS2 titles on PSN (GTA Vice City/Sonic/etc)
 For co Marketing money show PS3 controller on TV ads – similar to EA Madden Spots, NCAA, etc…

So exactly how does this imply that the emulator won't also play PS2 games on disc? Afterall, we can buy PS1 games on PSN, but the PS3 still plays the discs just fine!

OMG Aero

Sonic Racing
Open to DLC to differentiate PS3 SKU – not ratchet and clank but other characters
maybe characters from Rare or Fable universes
Oh man I might actually be interested in this game if I can play as Banjo and Kazooie.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
plufim said:
So exactly how does this imply that the emulator won't also play PS2 games on disc? Afterall, we can buy PS1 games on PSN, but the PS3 still plays the discs just fine!

I'd take that note with a pinch of salt. Whoever wrote that down, might have used the word "emulator" to simplify the concept of having PS2 games on PS3, which might happen a la God of War I & II remastered pack.

glaurung

plufim said:
A purchasable, downloadable PS2 emulator for the slim would be too awesome, but will probably never happen.

And why let you play your PS2 collection from discs when they can charge new money from you for them.

it'll be fucked up if they only allow you to play emulated ps2 titles that you've bought off of psn.

not that it matters to me. *hugs 20gb ps3*

Zen

Banned
Hero said:
So did Sony take out PS2 backwards compatibility so they can sell PS2 games as downloadables on PSN?

It's more like they were losing a lot of money by including the PS2 hardware in the PS3, I'm pretty sure they would have started putting PS2 games up regardless.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Motion Controller
Spring 2010 launch (March in JP)
No bundle/pricing details yet, should come Sept 1
Plan on selling 4-5MM units WW
SCEA agreed to provide a list of Sega IP that would work well with the motion controller, Virtua Tennis was an example
Motion Controller support allows easy way to differentiate PS3 SKU
Other differentiation opportunities include PSP/PS3 interoperability – think of features that would make users want to buy both PS3 and PSP SKUs.

Why aren't we discussing this? Who cares about emulation? :p

Does that 4-5 units WW refer to launch period or what?
SKU differentiation is interesting. Means bundles are indeed on the cards.

Jostifer

March release for motion controller is interesting if that's how it turns out. I would have expected May/June.

4-5M is definitely not launch. 2010 fiscal year more likely.

Backflip

SEGA France is currently asking French websites to not run the story. I was about to publish mine and had the great idea to ask Sega France's PR manager to comment. Well, his comment was "thanks in advance to not run the story, I'm currently trying to delete all the stories that I can find on the French web". Sega's panicking right now.

HUELEN10

Backflip said:
SEGA France is currently asking French websites to not run the story. I was about to publish mine and had the great idea to ask Sega France's PR manager to comment. Well, his comment was "thanks in advance to not run the story, I'm currently trying to delete all the stories that I can find on the French web". Sega's panicking right now.
YES!
:D

Busty

Banned
I'm surprised it's taken them this long to talk about putting Dreamcast titles on PSN.

In fact, SEGA (and Sony I suppose) missed a golden marketing opportunity by not having such a 'service' launching or at the very least announced on 09/09/09.

Still, it's always nice to get a peek 'behind the curtains' and see how these things work.

CTLance

How strange, now my ftp client shows the file. I couldn't find it before. Just what the hell is going on in that server anyway, it allows arbitrary logins (and reroutes them to the anonymous login, but still...).

mclem

TTP said:
While they might be, I'm not seeing that in the section you quoted. I think the SKU differentiation mentioned in the quote would be referring to giving the PS3 version of a given game some bonus feature (linked to motion control) over competing versions.

glaurung

Damn, and SONY had such a good track record of keeping their stuff secret.

Wait, that did not come out right...

duckroll

WickedLaharl said:
it'll be fucked up if they only allow you to play emulated ps2 titles that you've bought off of psn.

not that it matters to me. *hugs 20gb ps3*

You mean like how they only allow you to play emulated PS1 titles that you've bought off of PSN on the PSP? Nothing new here, lulz.

Zen

Banned
Backflip said:

I absolutely love Sega and their FTP site, they never ever learn and it just keeps happening. :lol

SmokyDave

No matter how many times I read that list, I don't see Streets Of Rage 2 HD Remix. Surely, if there are any staff at Sega with a soul, this is priority number 1.

Busty

Banned
Backflip said:

It begins/continues.

glaurung said:
Damn, and SONY had such a good track record of keeping their stuff secret.

Sony didn't leak this though.

Puck

Banned
lupinko said:
So how long before this thread gets NDA'ed or whatever? :lol :lol
If / when this does get taken down, someone will just post it back up anyway, its impossible to contain now.

Elios83

TTP said:
Why aren't we discussing this? Who cares about emulation? :p

Does that 4-5 units WW refer to launch period or what?

I think they're talking about using motion controller support as a way to differentiate the PS3 SKU of a game from the others.
Hardware bundles will probably happen in time for Natal's launch btw.

Also yay for PS2 emulation and bring Shenmue 1 & 2 on the PSN Sega.

lupinko

Puck said:
If / when this does get taken down, someone will just post it back up anyway, its impossible to contain now.

Well, I remember that one time some insider leaked Last Guardian info, only for the mods getting the message from the ninjas to nuke the thread, which they did.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
mclem said:
While they might be, I'm not seeing that in the section you quoted. I think the SKU differentiation mentioned in the quote would be referring to giving the PS3 version of a given game some bonus feature (linked to motion control) over competing versions.

Oh, that makes sense.

Hydrargyrus

"mmm, maybe to put this super-secret-doc here, where everybody can reach it, could be a great idea"

Yes... the monkey entrusted to guard the secrets has failed again, isn't it?

lupin23rd

gofreak said:
Well we can't know for sure, but it'd be safe to surmise they talk to MS about these things too ;) Sony knows it as well, hence offering marketing support for their pick of certain exclusives.

I personally think it would be pure bullshit for them to splinter the library across multiple consoles, all for one, or all for all.

Top Bottom