• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport - Review Thread

valkyre

Totally worth the rating imo. Maybe even less than that.

Polyphony Digital seems to be suffering from the same illness Squarenix does... mainly the allocation of time and resources for absolutely worthless features...

This entry is quite a bit of steps backwards, even from what GT used to be.

Ah, so 'most complete' because they threw out the baby with the water. Got it.

What baby did they throw out? You can still do everything you could in the originals and the missions are exactly the same sort of content from the older games but refined.

Only thing that isn't there is a championship mode.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
This being such an online focused game really sours me on it. It means that without paying for Plus I'm buying a $60 demo.

Can you not even play campaign, use saves in single player and such without Plus?

Duxxy3

Nah its more like Gran Turismo distilled. Its the very essence of GT with features being fully realised, more than most other GT games.

How is it the essence of GT games? Online wasn't part of the series until recently. I never raced against anybody in the first 4 games. It's missing the enormous collection of cars that the series usually has. It's missing the majority of single player that the series has been known for.

It's not the distilled version of GT. It's a new series that happens to have the same name of a great racing series.

How is it the essence of GT games? Online wasn't part of the series until recently. I never raced against anybody in the first 4 games. It's missing the enormous collection of cars that the series usually has. It's missing the majority of single player that the series has been known for.

It's not the distilled version of GT. It's a new series that happens to have the same name of a great racing series.

Perhaps that's one reason why it's not called Gran Turismo 7?

On the online requirement I'm expecting there'll have to be a statement at some point. My guess is that it'll be carefully worded PR speak about "maintaining integrity" for campaign mode that uses garage cars to have clean save files or something, since past GTs have notoriously had a save mod community. They're not wrong, but at the same time that feels a little flimsy/lazy.
The RPG-like nature of buying used cars, tuning them up and racing your way into new classes was the GT experience more than anything to me.
I loved this aspect, too, and hope we see it again some day. The GTS concept isn't inherently better or worse than this, it's just "different." Worth a mention that, despite not being able to pick the specific parts or anything, you can upgrade lower class cars into the supercar tiers.
So... the big Sony exclusive for holidays flops?? (In reviews... beacuse is going to be a monster in sales) or is too early?
The current meta score, tone of reviews and direction of this thread are pretty much 100% what most people expected.

Duxxy3

So... the big Sony exclusive for holidays flops?? (In reviews... beacuse is going to be a monster in sales) or is too early?

It will still sell just fine.

edit: The scores aren't unexpected. GT:S is going up against two fully featured racing sims. Reviewers will judge GT:S against those games.

ethomaz

Banned
But the lead platforms were used, and those are what line up with the estimates. The criteria wasn’t “the highest score we can select” or “the platform with most reviews”, it was the platform they were developed for and nothing else.
Less reviews = less accurate result.

Forza 7 had 93 meta with 11 reviews.
GTS has 78 with 4 reviews.

For accuracy here in GAF we use the platform with more reviews... peharps you should use OpenCritic that didn’t discriminate platforms:

82 pCARs 2
84 Forza 7

But maybe you think that makes the games looks bad.

Caja 117

As someone that played GT until GT4, can someone tell me what does online means? Does it mean connecting into a MM of set races against all humans? Or there is also AI drivers? Is there a sort of carreer online where you do the same type of races you did in SP in Previous GT?

That Gamespot preview is embarrassing. I can't believe Peter Brown wrote that.

Just because it doesn't line up with your views, doesn't make it embarrassing. GT is not good to some people, and good to others. I think we all should wait for more reviews come out before we make a clear judgement and not blow up on reviewers if their reviews are not favorable.

Yoshi

Don't need plus. But an online connection.

OK, this would have surprised me, if Plus was required. Nevertheless, online-enforcmenet is always costumer-hating practice that is inacceptable, especially if it pertains to single player content.

Forza series stays winning over GT.

GT has not been a great series since PS2 era and has just been middling and has had delays since.

The PS2 models on most cars in GT 5 was one of many missteps in this series.

MaDKaT

What baby did they throw out? You can still do everything you could in the original and the missions are exactly the same sort of content from the older games but refined.

Only thing that isn't there is a championship mode.

The championship mode was GT.

Vuci

GT has not been a great series since PS2 era and has just been middling and has had delays since.

Every model in GTS is premium.

The current meta score, tone of reviews and direction of this thread are pretty much 100% what most people expected.
I'm reminded of the discussion around DriveClub's release. It seems many have already made up their minds about GTS a long time ago. The poor initial showing and reveal have left a mark.

The Forza/GT comparison is toxic as well. Shame.

Stygr

Banned

Forza Horizon series*

I really think, FH3 will not be surpassed for a long time.

Forza Horizon series*

I really think, FH3 will not be surpassed for a long time.

Regular Forza series has been superior to GT when it comes to the most important things as well, like car models, tracks, the driving, motor sounds, tire simulation and so on.

bombshell

It will still sell just fine.

edit: The scores aren't unexpected. GT:S is going up against two fully featured racing sims. Reviewers will judge GT:S against those games.

Can they (PC2 and F7) be considered fully featured when their online suites are a free haven for rammers?

GT Sport set out to eliminate that for players who race clean and they've succeeded with that according to reviews.

borges

Banned
Don't need plus. But an online connection.

Feels good that we the gamers evolved to accept an always online world. Saying a thing like this during X1 reveal would have been an unforgivable herecy.

Regarding gts, I feel really positive. As I said before, it can potentially become the pubg of online racers. I do prefer more classic games like previous gt or forza though.

Duxxy3

Can they (PC2 and F7) be considered fully featured when their online suites are a free haven for rammers?

GT Sport set out to eliminate that for players who race clean and they've succeeded with that according to reviews.

Well they have an online and offline mode. So... yes.

Its not about online, its about racing.....you know the thing you did with those hundreds of cars. The focus is online as that is where the best racing is.

Hate to break it to you but GT never started with a large car count (no racing game does). Thats something that gets built over time. It was low for GT1, low for GT3 (new models), low for GT5 (new models + last gen standard) and low for GTS (new models).

If you're only complaint is there aren't enough cars then its solution is simply wait, as there will be more coming. Thats hardly a knock on the actual game.

For accuracy here in GAF we use the platform with more reviews... peharps you should use OpenCritic that didn't discriminate platforms:

82 pCARs 2
84 Forza 7

Not even that, the criteria should at least take into account other platforms. Its laughable to ignore the console issues PC2 had.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge

PC2 has a safety rating for drivers. Instead of the game regulating who races with who, PC2 leaves it up to the players setting up lobbies.

Stygr

Banned

Can GTSport be considered fully featured when a story campaign is missing? No, same as F7 and PC2 for the online suites.
No game is perfect, keep that in mind.
Fotza 7 has some issues and flaws, PC2 too and even GTSport has some flaws.

TheModestGun

Neo Member
Well despite the negatives that have been indicated, I have been having a blast with the demo beta and the full version so far. I'm not usually one for racing sims, but something about the way the progression feels is keeping me addicted, and the racing itself feels so damn good, it's honestly been very easy for me to overlook some of the less stellar aspects of the game.

For accuracy here in GAF we use the platform with more reviews... peharps you should use OpenCritic that didn’t discriminate platforms:

82 pCARs 2
84 Forza 7

I don't care about one being made to look bad, I care about fairness and lead platform if applicable. 2-3 points off the score isn't the end of the world. At the very least just make sure to use the same aggregate for all 3 instead of a mix.

The scores as they stand, depending on your aggregate, are:

Metacritic (lead platform):
Forza 7: 86
GTS: 78
pCARS 2: 85

OpenCritic:
Forza 7: 84
GTS: 78
pCARS 2: 82

magawolaz

As someone that played GT until GT4, can someone tell me what does online means? Does it mean connecting into a MM of set races against all humans? Or there is also AI drivers? Is there a sort of carreer online where you do the same type of races you did in SP in Previous GT?
Career Mode is now a mix of tests and one-off races. No championships. There's Arcade mode and Custom Race Creator if you want some personalized races against AI.

Career progression is now online: Sport Mode uses advanced matchmaking to put you alongside other real life drivers (up to 24) similar in skill and fairness to you thanks to Driver Rating and Sportsmanship Rating. There will be 3 daily races (rotating every 20 minutes), and online championships (coming the first week of November apparently, FIA championships at least).

Fredrik

Can't believe some stuff I'm reading. This is a sad day for old GT fans to learn about all the lost features which used to define this racer. Offline gamers will have a hard time accepting this too. I was almost ready to order it because of all the hype but this is a definite no-buy for me until they patch in the good stuff and patch out the bad stuff. It's still great that the online components are great though so the serie won't die.

Yoshi

Feels good that we the gamers evolved to accept an always online world. Saying a thing like this during X1 reveal would have been an unforgivable herecy.

Do we? Racing sims are not my genre, so I am not completely infuriated because I wouldn't buy it anyway. But the online restriction is severe, inexcusable and from my perspective renders the game completely worthless. I'd not buy a new F-Zero with such a restriction, even though I keep on contemplating buying a 64DD with F-Zero X Expansion Kit just for the two extra cups it offers. It is an outrageous consumer-hating practice.

Stygr

Banned
Can't believe some stuff I'm reading. This is a sad day for old GT fans to learn about all the lost features which used to define this racer. Offline gamers will have a hard time accepting this too. I was almost ready to order it because if all the hype but this is a definite no-buy for me until they patch in the good stuff and patch out the bad stuff. It's still great that the online components are great though so the serie won't die.

Exactly, i got the game for 40€ and it's not a big deal for that price. Some features are really missing.
And the persistent online connection will hurt a lot of people.

The Eurogamer review has clearly been written by someone who knows what they're talking about. Excellent read.

I wasn't going to read it until you said something. Indeed, that is the kind of review I aim to achieve every time, but it's often not possible.

The campaign, as it is, is no longer about tricking out a family sedan or amassing a vast collection of cars - it is, quite simply, about making you a better driver.

Hmmm. I've always played GT as a mix between tricking out a car I could drive IRL and just tuning whatever wins. I never cared about "getting better."

And then the online focus? Still does not conform to what I would like to see in design.

Its not about online, its about racing.....you know the thing you did with those hundreds of cars. The focus is online as that is where the best racing is.

Hate to break it to you but GT never started with a large car count (no racing game does). Thats something that gets built over time. It was low for GT1, low for GT3 (new models), low for GT5 (new models + last gen standard) and low for GTS (new models).

If you're only complaint is there aren't enough cars then its solution is simply wait, as there will be more coming. Thats hardly a knock on the actual game.

When was GT about racing online? GT was about grinding against brain dead AI.

Top Bottom