• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA 3D Classics finally set to release in NA/EU beginning November 28

Are you using the boost once your km/h turns red?
As long as you boost (RB by default) and don't crash more than maybe once, you should be able to do it.
These, plus make sure not to boost too much on the last two stages, they're designed to show you why that's a bad idea.

I tweeted @okunari about including Wonder Boy in Monster Land.

He replied saying he loves the game, but it sounds like sales for the PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii ports were disappointing.

I thought I read somewhere that doing the Monster World series ports was a personal project of his (including doing the English release of Monster World IV). I hope they show up again for a portable console some day, it would be shame to effort put into the English versions of Monster Land and Monster World IV only get one chance in the world.
This makes me sad, but I can't say I'm surprised. They mostly aren't ports of classic SEGA arcade titles and they've never had a big following from console-game fans. I think it's impressive that Okunari and M2's managed to make money at all, given how limited the base is for these ports.

And the use of the second screen: bright splash screen is quite annoying when playing in dark, make an option to turn if off or at least render something else there

This bothers me too. I think all games should offer to turn the bottom screen off (when it's not needed), not only is its brightness bothering, but it's also a huge waste of battery power.

Empty

I suck at Hang-On. I'm trying and trying and I still can't even beat the beginner course. I think I made it to about 5 seconds away from the goal, but that was the best I could ever do.
Still I'm really enjoying it, only ever played a few games of the Mega Drive version at a friend's house back in the day, so this is the first time I'm actually playing for a longer time.

crashing fucks you so in the beginner course it pays to play quite conservatively as you should have enough time without crashing. avoid getting too close to other racers, slow down for sharp corners, outside of the first two areas which you can boost through nearly all of.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Ha! After another couple of retries, with one of them ending right in front of the goal, I finally managed to beat the beginner's course in Hang-On, with 7 seconds left on the clock.
It can only get easier from here.

Backbone can go die in a fire. Desecrating classic games with their input lag and their blur filters and their unnecessary feature-removing menus and bullshit.

You should check out Capcom Arcade Cabinet if you like old Capcom arcade games. M2 did a great job on that.

Thanks for reminding me, I remember waiting for those to come out and then... Yeah.
Didn't realise M2 were behind them, checking them out for sure now.
Nice review btw. Did you do Space Harrier and Hang On?

Roto13

Thanks for reminding me, I remember waiting for those to come out and then... Yeah.
Didn't realise M2 were behind them, checking them out for sure now.
Nice review btw. Did you do Space Harrier and Hang On?

I actually just finished playing through Space Harrier and taking notes. I'll be doing Super Hang On after the Space Harrier review is finished. And I have an Altered Beast review waiting to be copy edited, so that'll be up I guess sometime tomorrow. :p

Oh man

OH MAN

I love, love, LOVE retro gaming (especially on my favorite system [possibly ever], the 3DS!)

I want to support the hell out of M2 for the incredible job they've seemingly done with these ports, YET! I face some dilemmas.

The first being that the only game I've played out of ALL the 3D releases they've announced is Sonic 1... and that was so long ago I barely remember it. I want to fill in the gaps in my gaming past, but where to start? Space Harrier and Super Hang On both look awesome, but Sonic is a classic. Altered Beast seems to be the darkhorse of the four out so far, but it has the concept that appeals to me the most (go from lame, speedo-wearing human to badass creature in the blind of the eye in order to wreck shit up? Awesome!)

I only have enough money for one, maaaaybe two over the next few weeks... and the upcoming releases almost seem more tempting than those that are already out! I've wanted to play Ecco for such a long time now, and apparently Shinobi is one of the best games on the Genesis.

I guess I'm just ranting at no one in particular right now. I want to own ALL of these eventually, to both be acquainted with the best that the Genesis had to offer and to also support M2 for doing what Nintendon't... Seriously, despite being my favorite company in the gaming industry, Nintendo should be goddam ashamed for their weak-ass 3D classics output. Is it STILL only Kirby and Kid Icarus? Good god. I would buy almost every classic Nintendo game (most of which I already own in one form or another) if each installment got the same degree of care that these SEGA releases are getting.

Whatever, it doesn't matter, because it still warms my heart that there are developers out there like M2 who genuinely give a shit about the final product more than the bottom line. Despite having not bought anything from them (yet!), I still absolutely <3 them for being a shining light in an industry that is often plagued with greed and the philosophy that an extra buck is worth more than the satisfaction of the customer.

From the bottom of my heart that has been through 20 years of gaming, THANK YOU M2, for being so goddam thorough and relevant in these ports. It's an amazing thing to see at the end of 2013.

Cody_D165

Banned
the only game I've played out of ALL the 3D releases they've announced is Sonic 1... and that was so long ago I barely remember it. I want to fill in the gaps in my gaming past, but where to start? Space Harrier and Super Hang On both look awesome, but Sonic is a classic. Altered Beast seems to be the darkhorse of the four out so far, but it has the concept that appeals to me the most (go from lame, speedo-wearing human to badass creature in the blind of the eye in order to wreck shit up? Awesome!)

I only have enough money for one, maaaaybe two over the next few weeks... and the upcoming releases almost seem more tempting than those that are already out! I've wanted to play Ecco for such a long time now, and apparently Shinobi is one of the best games on the Gensis.

Out of all the listed games, (and considering you've played Sonic before) I would recommend to you either Shinobi III or Streets of Rage, both of which are fantastic titles from Sega's past. Streets of Rage is one of my favorite beat-em-ups of all time, and Shinobi III is a phenomenal action-platform game. Ecco is a great option too - it's one of the more unique games in the Genesis library imo - but it can be a bit of a love-or hate game depending on who you talk to.

I would advise to perhaps hold off on Altered Beast - most people will tell you the game has not aged well and while it can still be appreciated I would definitely not advise picking it up when there are many other options available.

Space Harrier is a great arcade experience and as others have attested in this thread the added 3D effect is quite good.

(Note: I'm just recommending as a Sega fan myself based off my experiences over the years with the Genesis games - you might wanna see hold out and see what enhancements M2 will make to the games before you make your decision!)

Hope that can help a bit! Always glad when more people can experience the Genesis and Sega Arcade games!

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Oh man

OH MAN

I love, love, LOVE retro gaming (especially on my favorite system [possibly ever], the 3DS!)

I want to support the hell out of M2 for the incredible job they've seemingly done with these ports, YET! I face some dilemmas.

The first being that the only game I've played out of ALL the 3D releases they've announced is Sonic 1... and that was so long ago I barely remember it. I want to fill in the gaps in my gaming past, but where to start? Space Harrier and Super Hang On both look awesome, but Sonic is a classic. Altered Beast seems to be the darkhorse of the four out so far, but it has the concept that appeals to me the most (go from lame, speedo-wearing human to badass creature in the blind of the eye in order to wreck shit up? Awesome!)

I only have enough money for one, maaaaybe two over the next few weeks... and the upcoming releases almost seem more tempting than those that are already out! I've wanted to play Ecco for such a long time now, and apparently Shinobi is one of the best games on the Genesis.

I guess I'm just ranting at no one in particular right now. I want to own ALL of these eventually, to both be acquainted with the best that the Genesis had to offer and to also support M2 for doing what Nintendon't... Seriously, despite being my favorite company in the gaming industry, Nintendo should be goddam ashamed for their weak-ass 3D classics output. Is it STILL only Kirby and Kid Icarus? Good god. I would buy almost every classic Nintendo game (most of which I already own in one form or another) if each installment got the same degree of care that these SEGA releases are getting.

Whatever, it doesn't matter, because it still warms my heart that there are developers out there like M2 who genuinely give a shit about the final product more than the bottom line. Despite having not bought anything from them (yet!), I still absolutely <3 them for being a shining light in an industry that is often plagued with greed and the philosophy that an extra buck is worth more than the satisfaction of the customer.

From the bottom of my heart that has been through 20 years of gaming, THANK YOU M2, for being so goddam thorough and relevant in these ports. It's an amazing thing to see at the end of 2013.
Space Harrier and Galaxy Force II

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
This might be a good place to ask, is there a list somewhere of all the ports M2 has handled since forming? They seem to do amazing jobs with whatever they work on.

Tain

Wikipedia has something of a list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M2_(game_developer)

Dreamcast
First Kiss Story II (Publisher: Broccoli)
Sakura Taisen (Publisher: Sega)
DS
Konami Classics Series: Arcade Hits (Publisher: Konami)
Namco Museum DS (Publisher: Namco Bandai)
3DS
3D Space Harrier (Publisher: Sega)
3D Galaxy Force II (Publisher: Sega)
3D Altered Beast (Publisher: Sega)
3D Sonic the Hedgehog (Publisher: Sega)
Game Gear
Gunstar Heroes (Publisher: Sega)
Mega Drive/Genesis
Gauntlet IV (Publisher: Tengen)
PlayStation
Doki Doki Poyacchio (Publisher: Media Rings)
PlayStation 2
Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 20: Space Harrier II: Space Harrier Complete Collection (Publisher: Sega)
Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 21: SDI & Quartet: Sega System 16 Collection (Publisher: Sega)
Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 24: Last Bronx: Toukyou Bangaichi (Publisher: Sega)
Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 25: Gunstar Heroes: Treasure Box (Publisher: Sega)
Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 28: Tetris Collection (Publisher: Sega)
Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 29: Monster World Complete Collection (Publisher: Sega)
Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 30: Galaxy Force II: Special Extended Edition (Publisher: Sega)
Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 31: Dennou Senki Virtual On (Publisher: Sega)
Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 32: Phantasy Star Complete Collection (Publisher: Sega)
Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 33: Fantasy Zone Complete Collection (Publisher: Sega)
Sega Rally 2006 (Publisher: Sega)
PlayStation Portable
Gradius Collection (Publisher: Konami)
Parodius Portable (Publisher: Konami)
Salamander Portable (Publisher: Konami)
TwinBee Portable (Publisher: Konami)
Wii
Virtual Console - Mega Drive, Master System, MSX, Arcade (Sega and Namco)
WiiWare
Gradius ReBirth (Publisher: Konami)
Contra ReBirth (Publisher: Konami)
Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth (Publisher: Konami)
Windows
Sakura Taisen (Publisher: Sega)
Xbox 360
Otomedius G (Publisher: Konami)
Mushihime-sama Futari (Publisher: CAVE)
Playstation 3
NEOGEO Station (Publisher: SNKPlaymore)
Capcom Arcade Cabinet (Publisher: Capcom)
ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron (Publisher: Sega)
Monster World IV (Publisher: Sega)
Revenge of Shinobi (Publisher: Sega)
Super Hang-On (Publisher: Sega)

Looking over this has been pretty educational! It's missing the 360 releases of Capcom Arcade Cabinet and the Sega Vintage Collection/Sega Ages Online, though.

I've played most of their releases from PS2 onward. They are the best at what they do, easy.

Out of all the listed games, (and considering you've played Sonic before) I would recommend to you either Shinobi III or Streets of Rage, both of which are fantastic titles from Sega's past. Streets of Rage is one of my favorite beat-em-ups of all time, and Shinobi III is a phenomenal action-platform game. Ecco is a great option too - it's one of the more unique games in the Genesis library imo - but it can be a bit of a love-or hate game depending on who you talk to.

I would advise to perhaps hold off on Altered Beast - most people will tell you the game has not aged well and while it can still be appreciated I would definitely not advise picking it up when there are many other options available.

Space Harrier is a great arcade experience and as others have attested in this thread the added 3D effect is quite good.

(Note: I'm just recommending as a Sega fan myself based off my experiences over the years with the Genesis games - you might wanna see hold out and see what enhancements M2 will make to the games before you make your decision!)

Hope that can help a bit! Always glad when more people can experience the Genesis and Sega Arcade games!
I LOVE me some action-platformers, so it sounds like Shinobi will definitely be towards the top of the list. As for Streets of Rage, I watched a video of it recently and it looks... kind of clunky. If it still holds up well though I'ld be all for checking it out. Especially if I can find a friend to download it too so we can co-op!

I'm leaning towards Space Harrier the most out of the four already released. Maybe I'll save Altered Beast for someday when it goes on sale.

Thanks for the input friend!

Space Harrier and Galaxy Force II

Space Harrier it is for my first one. Will wait for impressions on Galaxy Force, but I'll probably end up buying it too. Thanks!

Roto13

Streets of Rage is basically a Final Fight clone. So if you like Final Fight, you'll probably like Streets of Rage, too.

sfried

Oh man

OH MAN

Just get 3D Sonic. I myself am still waiting for Galaxy Force II, but took a bite for some classic SANIC.

Love how M2's ported the widescreen AR for Galaxy Force from the PS2 collection, and that energy-ticker options are more than common (though the game's beatable on just 1200 if you use your lock-on missiles feverishly). There's even an optional background resembling a turn-of-the-'90s SEGA arcade, which goes with the moving cabinet!

OMG AFTERBURNER II IN JAPAN THIS WEEK!

I thought they only just started the second batch!?

God I really hope the English versions of these sell well. They don't have many eShop reviews so far if that's any kind of indication...

Hmm. I wasn't going to get Ecco because its obscene difficulty and the generally confusing nature of the way the games play out always kind of turned me off from playing the series again, but Super Dolphin Mode is making me think twice.

Damn you, SEGA!

Bought and loving Space Harrier, and I'm waiting for Streets of Rage.
This is the kind of thing that justifies the 3D screen more than anything else, if you ask me.
I hate the eShop business model with a passion, but the low price means the loss won't be that big in case something happens to my 3DS .

Nintendo should be goddam ashamed for their weak-ass 3D classics output. Is it STILL only Kirby and Kid Icarus?
Excite Bike and Urban Champion (though this one is more of a remake) too. The problem is low 3DS install base and actual development then they gave away 2 of the games for free (Excitebike was free at eShop launch, Kid Icarus was free with an NOE game registration promotion and Kid Icarus Gamestop pre-orders) all of which resulted not massive paid sales so it was not worth putting the effort in (or at least not enough revenue when compared with much easier to develop regular VC or new eShop games). It is something I hope does not repeat for these SEGA games. Though given how much trouble every game seems to be maybe M2 would be mixed between sad and relieved.

Also in the they said in Japanese in the Afterburner 2 interview that if any foreigners were reading, buy series 1.

andymcc

Banned
Wikipedia has something of a list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M2_(game_developer)

Looking over this has been pretty educational! It's missing the 360 releases of Capcom Arcade Cabinet and the Sega Vintage Collection/Sega Ages Online, though.

I've played most of their releases from PS2 onward. They are the best at what they do, easy.

Their Dreamcast port of Sakura Taisen is easily the best version of that game, for the record.

There's a 3D Twinbee as well, isn't there?

I wondered why there isn't a 3D Gradius but then I remembered how awful of a company Konami is.

So I've bought and played Sonic, and I'm itching for another one.

Super Hang-On or Space Harrier? I've never played either before.

Although Space Harrier might be the more recommended and safer choice, I find myself gravitating toward Super Hang-On; I just prefer its "art style" a lot more than Space Harrier. I love the look of the bikes and their colors, and I've always liked racing games... If I could only afford one of the two, would it be unwise to not choose Space Harrier, considering I've never played it?

I'm thinking Galaxy Force II (which I never played either) might cover the "space shooter" slot for me instead.

Excite Bike and Urban Champion (though this one is more of a remake) too. The problem is low 3DS install base and actual development then they gave away 2 of the games for free (Excitebike was free at eShop launch, Kid Icarus was free with an NOE game registration promotion and Kid Icarus Gamestop pre-orders) all of which resulted not massive paid sales so it was not worth putting the effort in (or at least not enough revenue when compared with much easier to develop regular VC or new eShop games). It is something I hope does not repeat for these SEGA games. Though given how much trouble every game seems to be maybe M2 would be mixed between sad and relieved.

Also in the they said in Japanese in the Afterburner 2 interview that if any foreigners were reading, buy series 1.
Surely when analyzing the sales of the 3D classics they've factored in the promotions that allowed people to grab Excitebike and Kid Icarus for free. Urban Champion isn't some hot classic that is fondly remembered by millions of fans. I'm convinced that a 3D version of Super Mario or Zelda or Pokemon Red/Blue would sell very well.

I bought Sonic 1 yesterday and beat it in one sitting. It was awesome, and I'm glad I finally filled in that gap of gaming knowledge that I was missing. I immediately went to play the Sonic Lost Worlds demo afterwards, and it's amazing how convoluted and bloated the fiction of the world seems compared to the first one. The gameplay was pretty awesome though... it reminded me of Super Mario Galaxy in a way.

Downloading Space Harrier next, and from there I'm still undecided between Ecco and Galaxy Force.

Thank heavens they added Super Dolphin Mode for Ecco. Two of my most hated things in game designs are water levels and time limits, and it sounds like the original Ecco was nothing but :p

So I've bought and played Sonic, and I'm itching for another one.

Super Hang-On or Space Harrier? I've never played either before.

Although Space Harrier might be the more recommended and safer choice, I find myself gravitating toward Super Hang-On; I just prefer its "art style" a lot more than Space Harrier. I love the look of the bikes and their colors, and I've always liked racing games... If I could only afford one of the two, would it be unwise to not choose Space Harrier, considering I've never played it?

I'm thinking Galaxy Force II (which I never played either) might cover the "space shooter" slot for me instead.

Follow your heart, you can't go wrong with either.

a 3D version of Super Mario

Faints.gif

Apenheul

I used the 5 euro I've received from Wii U's Deluxe Digital Promotion for Space Harrier 3D despite owning the game like three times already and I wasn't disappointed. The 3D makes the game easier to play (which is a good thing) and it just runs so smooth, I think I'm going to buy the other SEGA 3D Classics too.

Top Bottom