• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you expect for a PS5 / NEXTBOX?

astroglide

I don't see a big vr push. It hasn't sold well and the big games comming to it are 3d versions of games released years ago.

I think we will see a switch 2 that will be less powerful than a base x1

Sony will be out first lots of games. Smooth interface. Still no pan name change option.

Ms will release and be more powerful than ps5. Predict ms will get aggreaaive again. Good for us all around

Shifty

I expect it to know what I want to play before I do
Oh wait, Microsoft already tried and failed that with the Xbox homescreen this gen ZING

Speaking seriously, I expect more of the same with more power. I can see new hardware being trumpeted as 'true 4K' from the get go but ultimately getting a mid-gen spec bump anyway because of the success of the Pro and X.

Sony will probably stick with PSVR since they're dominating the VR console space right now. Probably a new model for new hardware. MS is a maybe, but since they're working on their own PC-side VR stuff I won't be surprised if we see it cross over in order to compete with Sony depending on how that particular space shakes out.

That's PC footage of present-day Unreal 4 ArchViz stuff, which is designed entirely with visual fidelity in mind. Adding gameplay simulation and dynamic characters / environments on top of it would likely be too much for anything that isn't a super focused / tightly-designed showpiece, like a next-gen version of The Order 1886 or somesuch.

So, maybe.

gcwy

Banned
I expect it to know what I want to play before I do
Oh wait, Microsoft already tried and failed that with the Xbox homescreen this gen ZING

Speaking seriously, I expect more of the same with more power. I can see new hardware being trumpeted as 'true 4K' from the get go but ultimately getting a mid-gen spec bump anyway because of the success of the Pro and X.

Sony will probably stick with PSVR since they're dominating the VR console space right now. Probably a new model for new hardware. MS is a maybe, but since they're working on their own PC-side VR stuff I won't be surprised if we see it cross over in order to compete with Sony depending on how that particular space shakes out.

That's PC footage of present-day Unreal 4 ArchViz stuff, which is designed entirely with visual fidelity in mind. Adding gameplay simulation and dynamic characters / environments on top of it would likely be too much for anything that isn't a super focused / tightly-designed showpiece, like a next-gen version of The Order 1886 or somesuch.

So, maybe.

I think it's possible with mostly static, non-interactable geometry. Maybe with a Vanishing of Ethan Carter sequel on next gen systems.

I think it will be most interesting to see how devs will make use of the substantial increase in CPU performance. BF1 is already impressive with its destruction on current gen consoles, and it targets 60fps. Interesting times ahead.

MaKTaiL

PS5 HAS to have backwards compatibility and be able to enhance old games on a system level like Xbox does. Anything less will be a failure IMO.

elmalloc

PS5 HAS to have backwards compatibility and be able to enhance old games on a system level like Xbox does. Anything less will be a failure IMO.

Such high expectations. MS strikes back for a brief period of time and people think Sony is going to be a failure lol. All the best for Nintendo who basically only needs Mario and Zelda to be a success.

Lighter weight VR goggles with higher resolution and 180 FOV is where gaming will go to.

Journey

Banned
Generations have to see a 10x power increase imo. This gen started at 1.3 to 1.8 TF, so next gen has to be 13 to 18 TF.

Don't be surprised to see a 20+ TF console. We saw a near 5x increase from Xbox One to Xbox One X in just a few years. 3 - 5 years from now we could see a 4-5x increase from Xbox One X for a 24TF console with 32BG of ram. BoOoM! recall this post in a few years.

AmyS

Generations have to see a 10x power increase imo. This gen started at 1.3 to 1.8 TF, so next gen has to be 13 to 18 TF.

Don't be surprised to see a 20+ TF console. We saw a near 5x increase from Xbox One to Xbox One X in just a few years. 3 - 5 years from now we could see a 4-5x increase from Xbox One X for a 24TF console with 32BG of ram. BoOoM! recall this post in a few years.

Believe me, I *want* that to be the case for nextgen. However almost everyone who follows the PC tech industry would say that's not going to be happen because the advances in tech have slowed down tremendously, as it's becoming more & more difficult to cram silicon chips with more & more transistors, with process technology taking longer to shrink. Power consumption is also a massive problem. The industry is finding ways to alleviate that to some extent with more efficient architectures and the use of FinFETs.

I could be wrong, but in order to get 10 times the performance of PS4 without having a massive case that nearly melts, we'd probably need the 5nm process, Gate-All-Around FET (GAFFETs instead of FinFETs) and Extreme Ultraviolet Lithography (EUV). While all of those things are coming, they're not coming anytime soon for massed produced consumer products. Certainly not in the 2019-2021 time frame, but closer to the the 2023-2025 time frame. Perhaps in time for PS5 / Xbox Two mid generation upgrades, if such things even happen.

We can certainly see each generation of PlayStation being a smaller leap than the last.

the leap from PS1 to PS2 was around 300x

from PS2 to PS3 was about 35~40x

from PS3 to PS4 was 8-10x

And for some useless, meaningless fun, the leap from Xbox 360 (2005) to Xbox One X (2017) is exactly 25x in terms of raw GPU flops (6000 gflops (aka 6 TF) / 240 gflops = 25x.

I just want PS5/XBOX NEXT to render at 1440p checkerboard.

I'll be mad if this crazy native 4k rush ends up affecting the polygon counts, shading, particle effects etc.

tr00per

Not sure what I expect but here's what I wish:

Room scale VR with hand tracking and/or glove controllers
VR HMD with higher resolution and FOV
Controller with better battery life
Free online play with cross platform support
Retained features from this gen (external hdd, share play, etc)
Backward compatibility
External power supply
More USB ports
Proper SSD support
Dedicated next generation 3D audio hardware

Klik

Is ps4/pro using total of 8gb of gddr5 also for GPU vram or does gpu has its own Vram?(Similiar to desktop gpu)

DavideS

Neo Member
probabily sony and microsoft will build theyr console with 3.6ghz cpu (that when the console is released is already obsolete on pc) and so they will start the new biased marketing campaign. about the fps war by show all games run at 60fps etc etc because todays ps4pro and xboxonex weak disadvantages is not able to do it on all games.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I hope Microsoft continues with the Game Pass stuff, I think its a great idea with a lot of potential.

I hope they merge xbox live gold with game pass,and maybe a video service to.

I would be willing to spend £15.99 a month for game pass, xbl gold and Netflix.

Neither do I.

I expect Project Gemini / Xbox Two ;)

What are your sources for this project gemini, a google search brings up nothing about a next gen xbox.

Caio

The GPUs in the next consoles will most definitely *not* be Vega based. It uses far too much power, today in PC cards, and will be completely outdated in 2019/2020. Vega was originally targeted for a late 2016 release for PCs, then got pushed to H1 2017, and didn't actually reach consumers until a few months ago.

AMD Navi is due in 2019 on 7nm and certainly that will be the GPU architecture PS5 and NEXTBOX GPUs are derived from, not counting custom features Sony/MS may ask for that don't show up on the PC side until 'Next Gen' GPU architecture on 7nm+ in 2020+

vnp4piE.png

While PS5 and NextBox GPUs may or may not have anything in common with AMD 'Next Gen' feature wise, there's basically no question their GPUs will be based on Navi.

I agree, and considering PS5 and the Next XBox will not come out before Nov 2020, I can't see anything different from a GPU based on Navi. Could be based on Navi10 ? Or even AMD Next Gen...

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I still think the 1X will be supported until the nextbox gets a mid gen refresh.

However Im now thinking the PS4 pro only has 5.5 gb of ram I dont think sony will do the same strategy.

But then I think for nextbox games were to run on 1X hardware they would be running at 1080p most likely, so it would be a downgrade in res even though everything else would be upgraded, would sure be interesting to see what an 1X could look like without it being held back by the original X1.

magnumpy

I would look at what nvidia and ati have up there sleeves. because they are the source for any gpu that could possibly be used in any future consoles.

there are for example cell phone gpus, but they are generally designed for better battery life, lower power usage. if you discount cell phone gpus, that again leaves only two options: nvidia or ati.

what do they have in store for the future? I would point to the lithographic node shrinkage as a highly relevant point. moore's law is dead, any future advancements will come from scratching and clawing what is left out of the silicon wafers that produce these gpus. possibilities exist outside of silicon "I guess" but that is still unproven.

basically look at whatever ati and nvidia are doing. every console manufacturer including sony, microsoft, and nintendo use one of the two. they are the only options. sony tried to produce their own gpu with the "cell processor" but it turned out to be a complete disaster heh.

Kimawolf

Remember Sony will want a MAX of a 400 dollar box. So expecting the power of a gpu that costs 400 dollars on its own. Same with CPU.

I expect a ryzen 5 CPU. 12 gigs memory a 8 tf gpu for PS5 along with some kinda built in VR for 399.99.

Next box i expect 10tf gpu and same memory/cpu as ps5. But it will cost 499.99.

Switch 2? Im expectimg in 2020. 1tf gpu much better cpu maybe a75. 6 to 8 gigs memory. Basically next gen tegra after t2. 1080p screen. 299.99 and perhaps a 4g/5g mode for 399.99.

Top Bottom