• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seriously WTF!? ....The PS4 Pro is embarrassingly loud :(

Sounds like a bit coil whine unfortunately. Sometimes it goes away permanently, sometimes it doesn't.

No...its the fan
and its only going to get worse as the unit gets older

Im hoping we see some third party case tops with more vents on the top as i would much prefer not having to dremel out a large chunk of my case to fix sonys shit design

These thread titles are embarrassing.

Mine is silent when playing unpatched games and audible when playing Pro patched games.

If yours is much louder, return it for another one.

Hanmik

These thread titles are embarrassing.

Mine is silent when playing unpatched games and audible when playing Pro patched games.

If yours is much louder, return it for another one.

No he shouldn't return it.. he won't get a more silent one anyway.

This all depends on:

- Setup
- How sensitive you are to sound,
- Point of reference.. as in.. what do you compare it to.

mekes

My launch model was very loud. Pro launch model is near inaudible, haven't heard a noise from it yet. I've played infamous and titanfall on it.

Pro is quieter than my old launch PS4, considering it's way more powerful and such, all in all this is good enough for me.

BTW, a good test for Pro noise levels is Uncharted 4 main menu, yeah I know it's weird, but for some reason main menu is really demanding, draws a lot of power and produces lots of heat.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
I sit about a metre from mine and it's impressively quiet. Silent during base software and 30fps games, going up to a slight hum for demanding/60fps stuff. My launch model screamed in the Uncharted menu, so the difference is very apparent.

Pro is quieter than my old launch PS4, considering it's way more powerful and such, all in all this is good enough for me.

BTW, a good test for Pro noise levels is Uncharted 4 main menu, yeah I know it's weird, but for some reason main menu is really demanding, draws a lot of power and produces lots of heat.

Rocket League main menu used to completely destroy my normal PS4, sounded like someone was using a hoover.

No he shouldn't return it.. he won't get a more silent one anyway.

This all depends on:

- Setup
- How sensitive you are to sound,
- Point of reference.. as in.. what do you compare it to.

Well, there are differences between PS4's.

The things you mention do matter (a lot!), of course, but it's very possible OPs PS4 is louder than others.

Ugh...the hyperbole.

That said, IW's multiplayer is indeed trash

kromeo

Mine has what I assume is coil whine, a very high pitch slightly metallic sounding noise that starts up playing Titanfall 2. It's completely silent playing resident evil origins

OP says he's thinking about giving up and getting a slim, I would NOT recommend that. I got one yesterday and will be returning it later today. The constant high pitch whine coming from the machine is absolutely horrendous. It never really goes, no matter which angle you sit at or face the console. This is even in the home menu too, not like it's dependant on FPS or something. I'll do an exchange and if another does it I'll cut my losses, get a refund and just do all my gaming for the remainder of this gen on the XB1 Elite.

What a sad state of affairs, really.

Hanmik

I am not sure about this.
One user showed us the noise while playing Battlefield 1, and it was definitely louder than my PS4 Pro, while playing Battlefield 1.

ohh I know... but how is your PS4 Pro placed compared to his?

6VuGa2d.png

His looks to be placed so that one side is obstructed.. that might be his issue.. and you can't see how far the back is from the wall. Ohh and it looks like the front feet aren't resting properly, it kind of looks like they are over the edge, so that the PS4 is not resting like it should be.. but I might be wrong in my assumption here.

Lucifon

About the same as launch PS4 for me, maybe a little quieter. I don't think there's really any kind of 'gamble' as some suggest (outside of ones with actual issues), simply perception of sound and different room layouts. What I find loud in a gaming console others might not, and that's what it comes down to. Every single OG PS4 I have ever come across (when visiting friends / family) has the same loud level of noise particularly in certain games and noticably on menus.

But yeah, it's loud at times to me.

Then contract manufacturers who make more power efficient components, or make your own designs/modfications? Easier (and cheaper) said than done obviously, but I don't think it's that farfetched to hope for the latest consoles to be more power efficient than stuff you can go pick up off the shelves in a local store.

Or if you hadn't ignored the rest of my post, another option is to stick with the best contracting deal and actually put some effort into designing and engineering the airflow and cooling components of the console. It's awfully unambitious as it is. I think it comes down to being able to show how small your console is in PR materials, but not how quiet it is.

People are kidding themselves if they consider these consoles as "engineering marvels". It's a bunch of 3rd party components put together in the most obvious manner inside a plastic box. I wish they would strive for better.

There are no more efficient components unless they worked with nVidia which would mean no APU and would probably mean more TDP and more space and higher price, which would mean less consoles sold and industry ruined. Sounds easy.

Is noise the only metric used to determine whether something is "well engineered"? If you looked at PS4 teardowns you would see there is a lot more engineering in how that is put together than on the Xbone which is as basic as it can get, and that's why it's huge, will pretty much die if you put anything on top and has an external power brick. And can STILL sometimes be really noisy if you get an unlucky unit.

The PS4P has a better heatsink, actual copper and seemingly better/more thermal paste.

This is a ridiculous discussion anyway. Heat-Size-Power-Price will always need a balance. I like having a 4Kish machine for 400 and can understand and deal with the limitations this might have. You can get a huge PC tower and use liquid nitrogen to cool it if you want other things.

I don't have one. So defensive.
Even stranger than that you would speak on the noise output of a system you don't own.
Did OP post a video of his EMBARRASSINGLY loud Pro yet?
Videos are problematic too because most microphones are not sensitive enough to pick up noise at a distance and up close everything sounds like a jet. When I record my PC which is virtually silent it sounds like there is a huge booming fan in there.
Noises out of the ordinary you would definitely pick up on though.

cooldawn

Yeah...mine is much louder playing Battlefield 1, Call of Duty or Mirrors Edge than my original launch PS4 yet The Division and DriveClub are fine.

Never been a moaner but this is a too loud for me.

huh1678

Banned
I went 4-5 hour sessions of watch dogs 2 and the last of us, it stays silent with nice ventilation. Don't know what OP means by the PS4 being loud, should either check his setup or get a new one ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Recall

ohh I know... but how is your PS4 Pro placed compared to his?

6VuGa2d.png

His looks to be placed so that one side is obstructed.. that might be his issue.. and you can't see how far the back is from the wall. Ohh and it looks like the front feet aren't resting properly, it kind of looks like they are over the edge, so that the PS4 is not resting like it should be.. but I might be wrong in my assumption here.

If your console is like that then the loudness is all down to the user.

Raylan

Banned
Look

I get it... the GPU is doing A LOT of good shit and the games look pretty fucking great

That being said, I truly don't understand how anyone at R&D thought the insane whine-pitch the system CONSTANTLY puts out when playing 60fps content (system is actually silent with 30fps games ala Rise of the Tomb Raider) @ 4k (or downsampled 1080p) would be acceptable..... Let alone for $400

It really is a nice piece kit from an architectural standpoint, but that small ass fan coupled with the poorly ventilated chassis just ends up making the most distinctly annoying sound. Dare I say, it's actually worse than the C-Chassis, due to the fact now fan is constantly alternating it's speeds and therefor, the pitches it's hitting.

I really want to love this system, but i feel like I've had enough and the visual trade-off really isn't worth it when I sit 9-10ft away from the damn thing and all I can hear is it's cooling system. And please don't say, "just turn up the volume or where headsphones"
I got a family and I can't be rocking the house with my small window of gametime at night.

I'm thinking just giving up and getting the PS4Slim :(

Sorry, I had to vent (no pun intended)
Sorry man, but my PS4 Pro whisper quiet.
More quiet than the newst OG PS4 model that I had and more quiet than the SLIM version I have.

Replace it with a new one. Your PRO seems to be faulty.

SJRB

Gold Member
Videos are problematic too because most microphones are not sensitive enough to pick up noise at a distance and up close everything sounds like a jet. When I record my PC which is virtually silent it sounds like there is a huge booming fan in there.
Noises out of the ordinary you would definitely pick up on though.

Noises out of the ordinary.. Like an embarrassinly loud console?

I understand your point, but you can't make a thread like this and talk about the insane noise levels of your Pro and then not, you know, show it. Perhaps it's a faulty unit, perhaps not. All I know is that I have a Pro and have ZERO noise issues or complaints, so I want to know what OP thinks is "embarrassingly loud".

Mine is whisper quiet when I'm sitting a meter or two away from it. The VR breakout box is louder than the Pro!

Also, the amount of threads with supposedly negative headlines for Playstation products during the last few weeks is kind of suspicious. There are plenty of product/impressions threads and still these clickbait thread titles pop up.

Zhutchka

There are no more efficient components unless they worked with nVidia which would mean no APU and would probably mean more TDP and more space and higher price, which would mean less consoles sold and industry ruined. Sounds easy.

Is noise the only metric used to determine whether something is "well engineered"? If you looked at PS4 teardowns you would see there is a lot more engineering in how that is put together than on the Xbone which is as basic as it can get, and that's why it's huge, will pretty much die if you put anything on top and has an external power brick. And can STILL sometimes be really noisy if you get an unlucky unit.

The PS4P has a better heatsink, actual copper and seemingly better/more thermal paste.

This is a ridiculous discussion anyway. Heat-Size-Power-Price will always need a balance. I like having a 4Kish machine for 400 and can understand and deal with the limitations this might have. You can get a huge PC tower and use liquid nitrogen to cool it if you want other things.

Or I could wish for a $400 4kish machine that's 10% bigger and 50% quieter which would suit mine and many others' needs much better? It's a balance yes, but it's anything but ridiculous to discuss.

What is ridiculous is the launch PS4 situation where you had fans from different manufacturers (that probably cost Sony about 50c per unit), where some were significantly louder than others, and all were louder than they should have been. It can't get any more half-assed than that. And that thing was indeed called an engineering marvel by some.

I had hoped we would be FAR removed from that situation with the Pro, but it appears not.

I remember when people tried to tell me That PS4 is "whisper quiet".

Then I bought one.

Nope.

Maybe the difference is people uaving theirs in a cabinet ten feet away or uaving it in a desk in front of them, but if my PS4 is anything to.go by, I highly doubt "whisper quiet" could ever be the correct term for using the console a couple feet away.

Dunkley

I always love reading these types of threads because people fail to realize that everyone has a different setup. Some people play with the system right next to them on a desk or something, and others play in the living room on sofa far away from the system and with plenty of background noise.

Yeah, also not everyone in the world has the same room temperature. The cold has set in around here too so I reckon if I got a Pro now I'd be Team Quiet as well given how much quieter my PC has gotten since the end of Summer.

Or I could wish for a $400 4kish machine that's 10% bigger and 50% quieter which would suit mine and many others' needs much better?

10% bigger means higher costs, so maybe not 400 anymore. And I'm really not sure you can eliminate noise like that by using an slightly bigger fan man. In any case, it's always a tradeoff.

Never trust anyone that uses hyperboles like "whisper quiet" :p

Kouriozan

Then I bought one.

Nope.

Maybe the difference is people uaving theirs in a cabinet ten feet away or uaving it in a desk in front of them, but if my PS4 is anything to.go by, I highly doubt "whisper quiet" could ever be the correct term for using the console a couple feet away.
Same for me, I upgraded to the new model last year and it's not quiet at all, decided then to never trust impressions about PS4's loudness.

There are people who replaced theirs, and got one that was apparently much more quiet. It's possible I guess that much like with regular PS4, the noise level varies different between units.
Yes. But somehow people keep making statements about noise as if it's a universal truth.
YOUR PS Pro is loud op. Not THE PsPro.

AkIRA_22

Mine definitely has it's moments but I haven't noticed it other than in menus. It's silent during media playback, which is the only time silence really matter to me.

muetimueti

Neo Member
About the same as launch PS4 for me, maybe a little quieter. I don't think there's really any kind of 'gamble' as some suggest (outside of ones with actual issues), simply perception of sound and different room layouts. What I find loud in a gaming console others might not, and that's what it comes down to. Every single OG PS4 I have ever come across (when visiting friends / family) has the same loud level of noise particularly in certain games and noticably on menus.

But yeah, it's loud at times to me.
One of the only sensible replies to this whole thread.

Just like my launch PS4, my Pro is not loud at all, just a low hum and only slightly louder when it reads the disc, no complaints here.

Mine is sat under my TV, on the TV stand, not a closed in type, so it has pretty good airflow all around it to keep it cool.

Hanmik

Just like my launch PS4, my Pro is not loud at all, just a low hum and only slightly louder when it reads the disc, no complaints here.

Mine is sat under my TV, on the TV stand, not a closed in type, so it has pretty good airflow all around it to keep it cool.

see this is how you can see that people have a different tolerance in regards to noise..

my Pro is not loud at all,

just a low hum

and only slightly louder when it reads the disc

I mean nobody here can deny, that the PS4 Pro is LOUD when it reads from the disc.. The bluray drive is much more noisy compared to the OG PS4..

So if this person says it is "only slightly louder when it reads from the disc", you can see that his tolerance is much lower than other people..

(unless by "disc" he means the HDD?)

Top Bottom