• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: More than 8,600 brick-and-mortar stores could close their doors in 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

That's a lot of jobs!

It's only gonna get worse.

The problem is that we have one party that is still stuck in the Bronze Age. And to be fair, modern Democrats aren't better. We're gonna need to rethink society.

PixlNinja

Banned
The only thing I buy in-store these days are clothes because I want to make sure the fit is right.

Brick and Mortar just can't compete with online pricing and convenience. When you see things like TVs and Laptops selling for sometimes hundreds of dollars less on Amazon etc than they do @ a Best Buy, the choice is obvious.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
It really is our generations coal situation isn't it?

i think its worse than that. Theres loss here that goes beyond the sales. When you add in the lost services that arent directly related (security, landscaping, misc contractor work), all the lost taxes ranging from payroll to licensing to property, and finish it off with the money leaving the community/state/country to the online alternative, theres going to be a problem.

I listen to a home show program on my drive into work on weekends. The host made a comment last Sunday that the average age of a certified electrician is 55 years old right now and every year the average goes up almost exactly a year.

No one is learning these trades. I find that really interesting.

the average age is going up because people aren't retiring anymore - not because new electricians aren't trying to get into the field.

the financial burden on the average middle class family has risen so much that people can't afford to retire as early as they used to.

It's not like trades people are all philanthropists who just keep working because they're worried about the future of electrical service...

molotrok

The only thing I buy in-store these days are clothes because I want to make sure the fit is right.

Brick and Mortar just can't compete with online pricing and convenience. When you see things like TVs and Laptops selling for sometimes hundreds of dollars less on Amazon etc than they do @ a Best Buy, the choice is obvious.

Best Buy price matches Amazon. So they still get my business on most electronics since Im not patient enough for shipping.

My father-in-law is 62. He has worked in the grocery business since 14 going from bagging, to owning his own store, to managing stores for Super Value, to stocking shelves in those same stores to keep busy when retired.

Hearing him talk about online retailing is like listening to Bumpy Johnson from American Gangster:

Where's the pride of ownership, huh?
Where's the personal service?

I assume these are major chains? If so, I almost wonder if this means we could see an increase in local businesses? Probably not but it's a nice thought anyways.

Monocle

Why are people eager to let one massive corporation consolidate all business like this?

Fuck Amazon.
I've had nothing but good experiences with Amazon. Why should I tell a company that delivers flawless customer service, excellent prices, and prompt shipping to fuck off? If they're as good for most other people as they've been for me, they deserve their place at the top.

Good thing we'll have coal jobs to fall back on.

mHM3DMk.gif

I don't know how that's possible. My mechanic charges $100 per hour and my last plumbing bill was somehow $300 for like 50 minutes of work.

More and more people are waking up and realizing most of the shit they can do themselves? Thanks to the internet and youtube, there is 0 reason why you can't figure out how to do electrical, plumbing, and basic mechanical work aside from pure laziness.

slit

We are witnessing the start of major economic and consumer purchasing shift the likes of which probably have not been seen since mass production became possible and commonplace. It's happened before and it'll happen again. People will adjust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom