• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cazzie David's (Larry David's daughter) new web series 'EIGHTY-SIXED'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
does not compute. this would be a netflix/hulu/amazon original show. considering amazon's existing relationship with hbo, i'd lean towards them.

Almost every comedy I can think of from the streaming services is from a 30-something or aimed there. Difficult People, Master of None, Love, Casual, Kimmy Schmidt, etc. Haters Back Off is the only one I can think of that came from someone younger.

The cable channels (Viacom especially) have been way more aggressive in cultivating shows squarely aimed at millennials. Broad City and Workaholics on Comedy Central, Search Party on TBS, Insecure and Girls on HBO.

Lev

I don't think this is for me.

I don't know if it's deliberate but it seems like its trying to be too much of a parody of millennial stereotyping.

Most people I know don't obsess over social media this much and it's just not particularly relate able.

My sentiments exactly.

Arkeband

Banned
Hmmm...

She's clearly angling for Larry's humor but it's just genuinely not funny because it doesn't come from a relatable place, and it doesn't fit the model he has.

Take the opening of Episode 2 for example, it's a skit based on ice cream cones. Larry has an episode where he's standing in line for ice cream and the situation is that there's someone who is trying to get a taste test of every single flavor. It's absurd and it's funny because Larry has zero patience and he blows up and makes a giant scene that somehow makes him seem like the asshole.

Cazzie's "funny situation" is that she takes issue with her friends not getting an ice cream cone, because ice cream cones are better than cups. It's a Larry-ism but about the most inconsequential, dumb fucking thing.

Larry's show includes a great deal of improv and not everything works, but this is like if someone just got done watching Curb and decided to walk around their house finding non-issues like Larry. "Are these bananas too ripe? I think they're too ripe." If that were ever a situation in Curb, it would be Larry being tunnel visioned on bananas while Susie is trying to talk to him and is making her get mad at both him and Jeff, who isn't at fault. There's multiple plates spinning at any one time.

It's cribbing the situations from an absurdist show with an absurd main character and applying them to real life and it just doesn't work.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Actually pretty funny. Episode 4 was good as it added that dopey Curb charm with the background music.

She looks and sounds like Daria. The episodes were pretty good. Subbed and will watch more.

Came here to post this.

Full disclosure, though, Cazzie is really pretty.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Hmmm...

She's clearly angling for Larry's humor but it's just genuinely not funny because it doesn't come from a relatable place, and it doesn't fit the model he has.

Take the opening of Episode 2 for example, it's a skit based on ice cream cones. Larry has an episode where he's standing in line for ice cream and the situation is that there's someone who is trying to get a taste test of every single flavor. It's absurd and it's funny because Larry has zero patience and he blows up and makes a giant scene that somehow makes him seem like the asshole.

Cazzie's "funny situation" is that she takes issue with her friends not getting an ice cream cone, because ice cream cones are better than cups. It's a Larry-ism but about the most inconsequential, dumb fucking thing.

Larry's show includes a great deal of improv and not everything works, but this is like if someone just got done watching Curb and decided to walk around their house finding non-issues like Larry. "Are these bananas too ripe? I think they're too ripe." If that were ever a situation in Curb, it would be Larry being tunnel visioned on bananas while Susie is trying to talk to him and is making her get mad at both him and Jeff, who isn't at fault. There's multiple plates spinning at any one time.

It's cribbing the situations from an absurdist show with an absurd main character and applying them to real life and it just doesn't work.

Breh...it's an extremely low budget YouTube show that is made up of like 10 people in total, created by a complete amateur with probably very little writing experience. You're over analyzing to the tenth degree. Dial it down.

black070

Hmmm...

Watched the rest of the episodes and this is exactly how I feel.

magnetic

She looks a bit like Tara from Walking Dead:

meghan-chambler-the-walking-dead-001.jpg

Boem

Hmmm...

Breh...it's an extremely low budget YouTube show that is made up of like 10 people in total, created by a complete amateur with probably very little writing experience. You're over analyzing to the tenth degree. Dial it down.

Completely agree with Snake. Bunch of silly people in here playing comedy experts.

Some of you guys are acting like this is supposed to be a Coen Brothers movie or something. Considering she's just starting out here (as opposed to the decades of experience her father has), this is hella impressive. The 'not relatable' comments, acting like that's a valid criticism, crack me up. She's a different person, she's coming from her own place. That's exactly what we need to see more of. Is she supposed to be more or less like her dad now? Can't get it both ways. Not everything has to be aimed at every single person.

I thought it was good and showed a lot of promise.

Boem

So are we only allowed to post glowing praise in this topic? It's a discussion forum, don't be so defensive. Some people liked it more than others. I agree with Arkeband's comments and think there's potential for her to be big. I'm just commenting on the product in front of me, and yes, I realize it's an amateur/budget show. Doesn't mean it's above criticism.

It's fine to not like it. Like I said, not everything needs to be aimed at everybody. I think writing a thesis about it is going overboard though. And some of the 'criticism' in this thread ('I turned it off because someone mentioned Bridget Jones!') is super silly, and there's a bunch of weird knee-jerky stuff towards her in here like that Instagram thing I still don't understand. That's the kind of thing I was commenting on.

HMD

Loved it, hopefully this gets picked up by someone cause I would love to see more of these guys in a bigger budget show.

PK Gaming

"That only hides it from yourself."
"What's the point of that...fucking Jesse Eisenberg."

LOL

Definitely sticking with this

Hmmm...

It's almost as if this show is a Youtube thing by some people with little experience, compared to a HBO show run by tv show veterans.

The relatable problem you have might also be an age thing. The whole Facebook photo, showing your having fun, etc, after a breakup is definitely something people relate to for example.

It's fine to not like it. Like I said, not everything needs to be aimed at everybody. I think writing a thesis about it is going overboard though. And some of the 'criticism' in this thread ('I turned it off because someone mentioned Bridget Jones!') is super silly, and there's a bunch of weird knee-jerky stuff towards her in here like that Instagram thing I still don't understand. That's the kind of thing I was commenting on.
Do I need a super serious reason to close the tab? It wasn't funny so far and closed it after the Bridget Jones thing

UrbanRats

Almost chuckled a couple of times.
Cant say i wanna watch more, but theres way worst shit on youtube getting attention.

it was a bit ott. like looking at the son or daughter of a famous sports person making their first few appearance and being all "THAT SUCKED SHE'S JUST A PALE IMITATION"

I mean yeah Larry's a comedy GOAT but geez

w/e. just a five minute webseries.

I'll always love looking at this picture. It's one of my goal as a future father to be so enthusiastic about something that'll make my child somewhat embarrassed.

larry_daughter.png

Has Cazzie moved away from her Rich kids of Instagram phase then...

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/nypost...vids-daughter-is-a-rich-kid-of-instagram/amp/

Will check it out.

Oh god, now I don't want to give her clicks just on principle.

People like this who think they represent millennials are just full of shit.

What the fuck? What is the problem with anything she posted? This "rich kids of instagram" shit reeks of nonsensical envy.

Zibrahim

I don't know what I expected of Larry David's daughter

but she is not even close to what i expected...if that makes sense

clav

Pretty good. Pretty. Pretty. Petttyy. Pretty good.

Seems to make fun a lot of drama behind Facebook culture, so I don't see how it's limited to a certain age group. They are people after all.

Thought episodes need music.

In the third episode, I thought Strauss's famous cartoon overture was foreboding to the finale. Looks like she may have wanted to use the whole piece during the episode but probably couldn't mix a balance between background music + actor's low sounding voices.

For those of you who don't know what the last minute sounds like: https://youtu.be/QROR4LioU-8?t=8m25s

Fourth episode does a better job at implementing music.

I think the only conclusion to draw is we shouldn't judge other people based on miniature snap shots into their lives.

Yeah people tend to forget social media tends to encourage people sharing perfect lives or highlight reels and not talk about personal problems.

Third episode kinda captures that mentality. You don't know what's going on in a snapshot.

There is nothing actually "rich kids of instagram" in that article other than the fact that she is rich and posted an unrelated picture on instagram

Yeah, I read it and didn't get it. Are kids not being excited by things their parents are only a rich kid phenomenon now?

And seriously
asking to be fingered so a guy can tell you if your vagina is as tight as another girl's is fucking hilarious

Goodstyle

Guys, lets not attack people critiquing the show with "Oh what did you expect, it's YouTube and she's new!"

An important part of people improving their art is crticism. Even if she'll never read it, there's always merit in discussing the pros and cons of something.

If someone said it sucked and was unfunny and provided no reason though, then obviously that isn't constructive criticism and isn't worth responding to.

Roi

This is great, lots of potential. Especially episode 3 had me laughing out loud a few times.
I feel like we'll be hearing more from her the next few years!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom