• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think my brother is doing coke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinter

If you can find out if its coke first would be a good thing probably, but based on his previous transgressions I would argue that maybe the confrontation would be best.

The problem is this is someone with a genuine and justified concern and you shit on their face with the most demeaning tone you could use in a forum. He's stated good reasons to be concerned (stealing from parents) unless that's justified to you. You could have stated this opinion just fine without trying to make the OP feel bad about his love and concern for his brother.

To be honest it was the line about him coming back home super late that riled me up

Boem

Coke is fun, i sniff it myself ocassionally, i did even go through a 6 month daily habit on it like 10 years ago, i just think if his brother wants to do it then he should do it

And what does that have to do with anything in this thread?

Someone posts about how he's worried about his brother because he seems to have a coke habit to the point of always being broke, stealing from his parents and getting high during work. And the fact that you use coke yourself and think it's all fun gives you the right to ignore all that context and talk to the OP that way?

Seriously, this always happens in these kinds of threads and I'm getting sick of it. There's always someone who ignores every bit of context, any fears or pain other people might be going through, just because they feel personally attacked whenever someone talks about the bad side of drugs.

Nobody is coming after you. This isn't about you. Have some perspective.

If your grand goal is to tell people they should relax about people doing drugs (why in this thread of all places), you're going about it the wrong way. The adult response would include acknowledging the bad side that's also definitely there. Grow up.

MazeHaze

Banned
You should talk to him about it for sure, if only to make sure it isnt something worse than coke. I lost my best friend two weeks ago to heroin that was cut with fentanyl. I knew he was doing it, wish I would have made more of an effort to be open with him about it.

No its not but its also not exactly uncommon
Not really no but I think OP has a decent cause for concern. I been broke my whole life but the only time I actually resorted to stealing money was when I was getting crazy with the blow.

Not saying his bro is for sure got a problem with it but its better to show concern and try and help than encourage it.

If you cant afford to be doing blow you shouldnt be doing it.

Dmented

Banned
You should talk to him about it for sure, if only to make sure it isnt something worse than coke. I lost my best friend two weeks ago to heroin that was cut with fentanyl. I knew he was doing it, wish I would have made more of an effort to be open with him about it.

Yeah this. Shit's real scary out there now with heroin being cut with fentanyl.

I don't know about your brother's expenses, but coke is very expensive. I would get that device tested. Obviously coke is not something someone should be putting in their body but throwing a bunch of drugs in a pile is even worse. Good luck, OP. Hope it's nothing.

Oscar

I fucked around with coke for a bit a few years ago, fun times but it's an expensive habit that can obviously kill you. Literally the opposite of weed (not expensive IMO, not dangerous).

It's also one of the dirtiest drugs around unless you really know your dealer. Most dealers cut it with shit like baby laxatives and pre workouts to recreate side effects such as having to take a shit shortly after snorting, and feeling energetic/euphoric (pre workout).

It's really not worth fucking around with due to the price and low purity/quality that runs rampant.

As for how I'd advise you to talk him out of it, find links/vids detailing what he's actually snorting if he's buying this in the USA. He's most likely snorting garbage given the details of his financial situation. That should gross him out.

You can't help addicts until they are ready to help themselves and trying to help them before then will only sour or ruin the relationship as they don't want to know, will lie constantly and you will feel like you are hitting your head against a brick wall. This is the same if it is cigarettes, alcohol, coke, meth, heroine, spice, etc.

SomTervo

I'll do just that then, I'll make sure to keep on an eye on him and just be vigilant. He just turned 23... so who knows maybe it is a phase for him.

It's relatively normal to dabble and try lots of different things - so first response wouldn't be to worry much. However, stealing money is a big red flag. That's addict behaviour.

There are worse things he could do, but if you're noticing more general poor lifestyle choices from him - and in general evidently a poorer lifestyle - definitely bring it up

Doesn't sound good. This might sound weird, but you better hope it's coke and not meth. I had a pretty bad coke habit for 2-3 years and it wasn't THAT hard to give it up. Meth on the other hand.... I've had lots of people I know destroy lives with that shit.

commedieu

Banned
Ask him if he's doing coke and say you're concerned if he is. No biggie if he's not. But you found a Tube, and he should really be using strippers.

Edit:

Re meth.

Can you snort meth?

Coke is a drug for when you're out at a fun event. Doing coke at work is a bad time. If it's my bro, I'd talk to him. At least it will get him to hide it, and perhaps realize he needs help. Just be supportive but hes an adult.

Lemaitre

Banned
Doesn't sound good. This might sound weird, but you better hope it's coke and not meth. I had a pretty bad coke habit for 2-3 years and it wasn't THAT hard to give it up. Meth on the other hand.... I've had lots of people I know destroy lives with that shit.

Pretty much this. I was on a coke binge when I worked in finance for about three months intermittently. Giving it up wasn't difficult mostly to the cost, though I really don't enjoy the drug at all. It was just my naivety as being new to the workforce and new to hard drugs.

But as has been stated, if he is snorting meth then you have a much bigger problem on your hands. I'd call a family meeting tbh OP. If your brother is working at your family company this is a family problem and needs to be addressed ASAP. And it does indeed sound like your sibling has a substance abuse issue, maybe even looking into rehabilitation programs would be in order.

WiseguyMVP

If you two are close, just let him know that you care about him want to make sure everything's okay. Keep an eye on him to make sure he's not getting withdrawn or too erratic with his time and energy.

It's a tough call with family or friends with how much you want to reach out when they're doing this. You don't want to be the bad guy, but it's also important to be aware and take action if things change for the worse.

Amikami

Banned
To be honest it was the line about him coming back home super late that riled me up

Which I addressed in the previous post. OP gave plenty of good evidence of why that would be of concern. Their's no reason to get riled up over other people's family dynamics and behaviors.

Ask him if he's doing coke and say you're concerned if he is. No biggie if he's not. But you found a Tube, and he should really be using strippers.

Edit:

Re meth.

Can you snort meth?

Coke is a drug for when you're out at a fun event. Doing coke at work is a bad time. If it's my bro, I'd talk to him. At least it will get him to hide it, and perhaps realize he needs help. Just be supportive but hes an adult.

Hell yeah, you can snort it. And one line can last you hours, whereas coke will have you running to the bathroom every 30 minutes.

shoelacer

Banned
Seriously? Why do you have to be rude about it?

And as for this "question"

Pretty sure the bolded would make confrontation with out proof difficult. I really don't know what to say OP, I hope you are able to reach out to him. Maybe after you get proof to wave a away any lies he might use you can get your other family members together to sit down and talk about it with him?

lmao @ those scare quotes, yikes

I don't see why you wouldn't ask or talk to the person about their behavior if you're concerned about them. Even if you expect them to deny anything is going on, you should communicate how distressing their actions are to the people around them.

Or just test their garbage for cocaine, and then confront them with it, I guess?

It sounds unsustainable. And going broke just 3 days after payday is just not normal.

I mean a person with a family struggling check to check I can see being broke a few days after payday paying catch up on bills. But a young dude no kids living at home....no excuses.

Yea it's disturbing people can think this is an OK thing to do.

"I stole from mom and dad growing up didn't you??"

No mofo. No I didn't.

I remember at school a guy in our friends group started being really worried about having white stuff on his face, would carry a little mirror after a while or check in car wing mirrors.

We just though he was being weird but we found out years later that he was actually doing coke at school, would hide it in a pen apparently.

I would see if your brother is acting weird, also try and talk about coke casually and see how he reacts. Another friend started doing coke and when a friend asked him if he had done some coke he said "do you have some?" desperately.

Prologue

Hope you're able to help your brother man.

Coke is fun, i sniff it myself ocassionally, i did even go through a 6 month daily habit on it like 10 years ago, i just think if his brother wants to do it then he should do it

neogaf25rugz.gif

StayDead

Sounds completely normal for a weekly paid young person, when i was in my early 20s i got paid on friday and was lucky to have anything left by sunday

Maybe if you're addicted to something, but I've never seen anyone my age (26) until now be that bad with money.

Went through something similar to this with my brother (he was on oxycodone and meth). Truth be told, I'm surprised he's not dead. He's clean now and gotten his life back in order, but the worry is always there.

I hope everything works out and he's clean.
What made him want to change? Also did he get help? If so, what kind?

linkboy

What made him want to change? Also did he get help? If so, what kind?

He got arrested. Was in a car with some friends and they got pulled over with some drug paraphernalia.

He went to court and was sentenced to drug rehab through the Salvation Army in Oakland.

Teletraan1

Banned
Just try talking to him again and at least try to confirm your suspicions. The thing about coke is that it is expensive, if you are in a lower income bracket get hooked and need a high the tendency is to move on to cheaper, much more devastating options. So keep on him if you suspect he is not being honest about it. Monitor for any further tells of drug use. It could just be nothing so talk to him and get an idea of what is going on. Some people do some recreational coke, get tired of being broke, find something more positive to do and grow out of it. For others it can be a step into a life cut short. The difference can be someone actually having an honest conversation with them.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
I heard coke makes your dick shrivel up if you use it a lot and that is the only reason I'm not trying to score coke right this second

I heard coke makes your dick shrivel up if you use it a lot and that is the only reason I'm not trying to score coke right this second
I know some people that can have sex on it. I can get it up if I do a wittle bump here and there but if its been done quite a bit that night then my shit dont work. Coke dick is a real thing and has happened to me a few times when I really wish it hadnt.

I'm coming to GAF on this one because I don't know what to do think or do right now. My cousin came to me today wanting to talk to me because he's noticed somethingwhile working with my brother. He told me that he saw him doing what looks like to be coke. From what he said he would walk off and go somewhere to sniff something from this tube.

He said that's the thing he used to sniff it and it's actually something that my other cousin noticed too who works with the two of them. The thing is my other cousin is someone who has done coke in the past and knows about it.

So yeah, when I was told this I wasn't sure what to think about it. The thing is he's been smoking weed for a while now and has done some stupid stuff before like steal money from my parents (which he one time did to hire a hooker) or comes back home super late. He said he would never try anything hardcore in the past but has told me not too long ago that he once tried ecstasy and acid among other things. He normally goes broke every week when he gets paid which is something around $500 in a matter of three days.

I don't know what's really going on with him and I've tried to have heart to hearts as his brother but he tears up with them crocodile tears and says he'll better himself. He also starts lying pathologically to no extent. Any advice on this one would be helpful because right now I'm feeling all types of way especially if it's true. Thanks for hearing me out in advance.

Send him on vacation to the Phillipines. I hear they love druggies over there.. All jokes aside just talk to him about it man..

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
I know some people that can have sex on it. I can get it up if I do a wittle bump here and there but if its been done quite a bit that night then my shit dont work. Coke dick is a real thing and has happened to me a few times when I really wish it hadnt.

"Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew."

He got arrested. Was in a car with some friends and they got pulled over with some drug paraphernalia.

He went to court and was sentenced to drug rehab through the Salvation Army in Oakland.
Ahh, so not on his own volition. I'm trying to help someone with an addiction problem, but they just don't give a shit enough to change and continue living a miserable life.

It's fucking horrible. I don't know how to help, if there even is any way to do it other than calling the authorities.. but I can't bring myself to do that.

Skyzard

Banned
It's pretty hard to get someone to stop until they really fuck things up and are getting strong positive encouragement constantly, fun activities etc.

There's likely an underlying reason for him wanting to do that much. He'll know it's not healthy. Sure it's addicting but if you really wanted, you could stop. It's only 3 days of toughing it out before it's physically easier, which is pretty short compared to other addictive substances.

He may be drinking a lot of alcohol if he's going through it that fast too.

Oscar

It's similar to Whiskey dick. People are different, some can't get hard at all if drunk and others like me don't seem to have an issue.

One of my roommates is still a heavy user, and he just takes dick pills from the gas station because he doesn't want to give up the habit. Sounds awful.

Machina

Banned
Peaceful confrontation, OP. Tell him you know about it, you'll keep his secret but you aren't happy about it. You can state that much, but it is his life at the end of the day.

I mean if it's just a bit of coke why even bother?

Fuck If I had a brother who was doing coke I'd be annoyed he didn't offer me any.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom