• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! May |OT| Round 2! FIGHT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Gotham Central would make a fucking amazing real-life drama. Way cooler than anything actually superhero focused.

Get HBO on the line, let's do this.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Gotham Central would make a fucking amazing real-life drama. Way cooler than anything actually superhero focused.

Get HBO on the line, let's do this.

Very true. I love how the art is authentically crumpled, like a detective's suit by midway through a graveyard shift. Bingeing on the Wire and then reading GC is joy in crime-drama form.

This looks amazing. Is this collected? I only know of Dani through recent New Mutants issues and she does nothing to really stand out there. Probably just because of Abnett and Lannings' focus on nonsensical plotting.

Yup, it's in New Mutants Classic vol. 3! So much better than the current series.

Splatt

Dropping Resurrection Man. Enjoyed the 90's series but this one does nothing for me.

Also, while I'm glad we're getting another visit to K'un Lun I don't like the Bendis retconning that's going on. Deodato's work is gorgeous tho'. Hopefully, this will renew some interest in Iron Fist and he'll get a new ongoing
with Aja on art duties

http://i.imgur.com/FxouR.jp)[/QUOTE]

Man it was pretty cool when Churchill changed up his art when he drew that Hulk/ X-force story

[IMG]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1lmswM5mQ1qda5bzo1_1280.jpg

hulk-003.jpg

gotta pay the bills I guess

Is it written in the contracts at Marvel or something where ever writer has to do at least four books? Cullen Bun is on everything now. brahs are making him seem like an architect.

Owzers

OK, i officially have no idea what's going on in Morning Glories.

:p I wish i was trade waiting that until it ends...reading it monthly is a game of " let's try to remember what happened previously and put it in context of this issue"

I still like it though Xo

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
:p I wish i was trade waiting that until it ends...reading it monthly is a game of " let's try to remember what happened previously and put it in context of this issue"

I still like it though Xo

yea i need to just stop reading this and wait for trades... imagine watching one episode of LOST a month - you'd have no idea what was going on.

I absolutely love the character work with Genesis in Wolverine and the X-men. The constant references to
superman
are great.

Owzers

Justice League is such a weird book. I enjoy it but my brain can't comprehend the new 52 in this context. I'm not really reading any other books that "reverted" everything. Batman, Green lantern, Batman and Robin, Batwoman, etc etc etc are not THAT different in tone from before the relaunch. But this? It's like Bruce went into the past to babysit the Young Justice League. I'm on issue #8 and not sure if this arc is still in the "past" like the first JL arc...or was that just Action Comics? Or...i dunno. New 52 is weird.

Also, the second Shazam installment kind of sold me on it, the first one was annoyingly annoying.

Troll

Banned
Does anyone know a good online comic book store, I need a few random issues of Uncanny Xmen and the unwritten but I cant find a good website.

Halp!

Izick

Well, it happened. I went in to the local comic shop today, and it was pretty awesome. I was kind of dumbstruck, as there were 4 workers there, and I was the only customer, and I kind of felt like I was intruding as I kind of entered as they were talking (they were really nice and courteous though) about stuff, but I just said I wanted to look around and it seemed all good. I must have looked at the wall, it was a big wall of comics, for like 10 minutes. I forgot about all the recommendations that Gaf made, and since I don't have a smart-phone, I was on my own. I decided to ask the guy there what he would suggest for a newbie, and he laughed and said that was a tough question. Basically he gave all the same advice you all did, meaning he asked what my favorite character was and what kind of stuff did I like, and I told him I really didn't have any favorites and liked most superheroes.

So after looking around some more, he suggested that I check out Wolverine (305), as it just got a bunch of new talent and it's a new storyline I think he said. So I did, and he told me to make sure I picked up a bunch of free comics that were left over from free-comic day. He told me the ones worth checking out, so I got them and thanked him.

It was pretty awesome I must say, so I'll list what I got:

• Wolverine (305)
  • Avengers: Age of Ultron
  • The New 52 (guessing it's like a preview comic-book)
  • 2000 A.D. (not sure what it is)
  • Another preview/compilation of Revival, Guarding the Globe, and It-Girl and Atomics

I haven't read anything yet, but I am excited!

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
IMO (and I say this all the time), don't buy single issues. They're terrible value, too short and are a major time and money investment for a new reader. Instead, you should focus on trades, or collected editions as you might know them. Find a story you like the look of (a good shop will let you browse as long as you like) and buy a volume of it.

This man knows what he's talking about. I got into comics a few months ago (mainly based on suggestions from this very thread), but I got addicted to buying weekly issues until I eventually realized I was throwing down $20-$40 a week on comics and decided to stop. It was a really fun run, but yeah if I had gone the TPB route I might still be a comic book reader. :)

My favorite series were Batman, Supergirl, Catwoman, Wonder Woman, Amazing Spider Man, Mighty Thor, Winter Soldier, and Secret Avengers. I don't think there are any trades out for the issues I read though, so you may have to wait a few months to get them. Batman and Supergirl are specifically quite phenomenal.

In other news I started a new job this week and the internet is completely uncensored at work, so I can NeoGAF to my heart's content. This will probably be terrible for my productivity all things considered...

Written by Mark Waid and is a follow up story being told through Cyclop's POV post-AvX.

* Marvel has announced a June 6 release for it next Marvel Infinite Comic, to be included with June's Avengers VS. X-Men #6.

Following the world changing events of Avengers vs. X-Men #6, Mark Waid, Yves "Balak" Bigerel and Carlo Barberi create story featuring Cyclops and how the world is seen through his eyes.

"After the deafening critical acclaim for the first Infinite Comic, we had to bring Mark Waid back for the next one," said Marvel Senior Editor Nick Lowe. "But joining Mark this time around is Yves Bigerel and Carlo Barberi. Now, not many Marvelites may recognize Bigerel's name, but he is of huge importance to digital comics. His pen name is Balak and he made the comic that solidified for us what digital comics could be. Yves took Waid's rough idea and realized the story-telling and it's going to blow you away. Then, Carlo took Yves storyboards and knocked them out of the park!"

The comic is available in three ways: Free with the redemption of a code found in print copies of Avengers VS. X-Men #6; free with a purchase of the digital copy of Avengers vs. X-Men #6 on the Marvel Comics app and the Marvel Digital Comics Shop; available for $1.99, also on the Marvel Comics app and the Marvel Digital Comics Shop.

Owzers

Well, it happened. I went in to the local comic shop today, and it was pretty awesome. I was kind of dumbstruck, as there were 4 workers there, and I was the only customer, and I kind of felt like I was intruding as I kind of entered as they were talking (they were really nice and courteous though) about stuff, but I just said I wanted to look around and it seemed all good. I must have looked at the wall, it was a big wall of comics, for like 10 minutes. I forgot about all the recommendations that Gaf made, and since I don't have a smart-phone, I was on my own. I decided to ask the guy there what he would suggest for a newbie, and he laughed and said that was a tough question. Basically he gave all the same advice you all did, meaning he asked what my favorite character was and what kind of stuff did I like, and I told him I really didn't have any favorites and liked most superheroes.

So after looking around some more, he suggested that I check out Wolverine (305), as it just got a bunch of new talent and it's a new storyline I think he said. So I did, and he told me to make sure I picked up a bunch of free comics that were left over from free-comic day. He told me the ones worth checking out, so I got them and thanked him.

It was pretty awesome I must say, so I'll list what I got:

• Wolverine (305)
  • Avengers: Age of Ultron
  • The New 52 (guessing it's like a preview comic-book)
  • 2000 A.D. (not sure what it is)
  • Another preview/compilation of Revival, Guarding the Globe, and It-Girl and Atomics

I haven't read anything yet, but I am excited!

Yay FCBD.

*reads lower posts*

First X-Men? Post AvX *tries to think if AvX is over in August* No, it is not. Weird.

Owzers

Its not over but its dealing with some big events that take place. I edited my post with more info.

new info makes a lot of sense, when you said waid and knowing that he wrote the first Infinite comic, i was curious as to whether or not it would be the next one and that seems to be the fact.

I still need to redeem my first couple of AvX codes and read the first infinite issue, i look forward to it.

Owzers

what...is that? Preview art for an upcoming batwoman issue? I almost thought it was a statue of some kind.

Apart from that, i decided my next book to get caught up on would be Wonder Woman. Read issue #4, then reminded myself that i barely remember anything from 1-3 so i'm rereading 2 and 3 again before reading 5-8. Trade waiting would require me waiting forever to read an issue though, so it's better to stockpile single issues with dcbs discounts.

BUT I DIGRESS. Wonder Woman is a great book that you should be reading. Don't have a huge interest in Wonder Woman? Never read a WW book before? That's pretty much me, the only WW i've really read includes her in other books as a random character and the Wonder Woman Blackest Night 3 issue mini. This series is however one of the best DC has to offer right now, both in art and story.

also:

dc-reboot-wonder-woman-1.jpg

How do you guys feel about the Wolverine pick up?

How do YOU feel about your Wolverine pick-up? It would be a good point to start if you like it though, it's the issue where the new writer just took over, but after his first story arc ( maybe 5 issues or so?), Jeph Loeb is taking over the book for 5 or so issues to tell a Sabretooth story, and then the Bunn, the current writer, will return.

If i were to read ONE x-title, it would probably be Wolverine and the X-Men, though AvX could change everything since a lot of writers are going to move around. I don't think i enjoy wolverine quite as much solo, i like the full cast in WATXM and Aaron does a good job of adding humor to the "world".

Hey guys, i need some recommendation. My favourites are 100 Bullets & Punisher Max (Garth Ennis). Anything you guys can recommend me?

Obviously a case of mistaken identity; Diana must have come to Gotham looking for Bruce. ;p

How do you guys feel about the Wolverine pick up?
First issue was sort of iffy, this week's was pretty visually shocking; Paul Pelletier's an odd choice to do such gory pages, but he's the reason I signed on. Don't know enough about Bunn's writing to judge what I've seen so far.

I think the only AvX stuff I'm reading is from WatXM but I didn't mind the issue besides the art. Maybe the mainline stuff isn't that good but it's sort of interesting just reading about it from the side. Sounds like Cyclops is being set up for a death at the end though. And as for the roster leaving, it looks like Iceman is definitely showing back up. He wants to come back when it's done and Wolverine didn't go emo on him for choosing the other side. Gambit hasn't even been in the series yet so no loss losing him.

Oh, and I've decided. If Gotham High doesn't become a DC Nation short I'm going to die unhappy. Guess I'm dying unhappy. I know we only got promo pics but I'm going to wish for this series to show up forever.

Nesotenso

Hey guys, i need some recommendation. My favourites are 100 Bullets & Punisher Max (Garth Ennis). Anything you guys can recommend me?

Ennis has a Fury Max mini, the first issue of which came out last week. He has series called The Boys which is at issue 66 right now and winding down now. Might want to see if that's your thing.

Owzers

Single issues or trades? Ennis just started a Fury Max miniseries, issue #1 should be on store shelves and has gotten pretty good reviews.

if you want to shift into dark/violent-ish cape territory, there's also Uncanny X-Force by Remender.

Izick

How do YOU feel about your Wolverine pick-up? It would be a good point to start if you like it though, it's the issue where the new writer just took over, but after his first story arc ( maybe 5 issues or so?), Jeph Loeb is taking over the book for 5 or so issues to tell a Sabretooth story, and then the Bunn, the current writer, will return.

If i were to read ONE x-title, it would probably be Wolverine and the X-Men, though AvX could change everything since a lot of writers are going to move around. I don't think i enjoy wolverine quite as much solo, i like the full cast in WATXM and Aaron does a good job of adding humor to the "world".

I haven't gotten a chance to read it yet, so I was just asking in the mean time.

Single issues or trades? Ennis just started a Fury Max miniseries, issue #1 should be on store shelves and has gotten pretty good reviews.

if you want to shift into dark/violent-ish cape territory, there's also Uncanny X-Force by Remender.

Ennis has a Fury Max mini, the first issue of which came out last week. He has series called The Boys which is at issue 66 right now and winding down now. Might want to see if that's your thing.

Thank you very much for your recommendations. I read a few issues of The Boys when it came out, didn't liked it hoenstly. I read about Uncanny X-Force it seems interesting. I might try it.

Also i am reading review of Fury Max Mini right now. I will definetely get that one.

Owzers

I haven't gotten a chance to read it yet, so I was just asking in the mean time.

I was curious as to whether you liked your first purchase or not, not that it was bad for you to ask around.

And a wonder woman appearance in Batwoman is....intriguing. I'm glad i didn't drop Batwoman, and if anyone did, you should probably give it another chance since it did get a lot better at around issue #5.

Trade waiting is agonizing. I just finished unwritten vol 5, and vol 6 doesn't come out til octoboer.
DAT LAST PAGE. cliffhangers that tense are painful.

I was curious as to whether you liked your first purchase or not, not that it was bad for you to ask around.

And a wonder woman appearance in Batwoman is....intriguing. I'm glad i didn't drop Batwoman, and if anyone did, you should probably give it another chance since it did get a lot better at around issue #5.
Will do. I lost interest at #4. Wonder Woman, on the other hand, has been drat awesome. I seriously wish DC had gone with the pants, though.

Izick

Don't worry, I will give my thoughts when I read it, I can't let Comic-Gaf down with a shitty cliffhanger like that! :p

Owzers

It's Roger* Landridge, otherwise known as the guy who wrote Thor: Mighty Avenger

typo! typo! I can't say i honestly LOVED the books i read from him. I thought the first Muppet Show trade i read was charming but didn't QUITE click well enough for me, and i did like the Thor Mighty Avenger #1 i read on MDCU.

Machine

hawkeye doesn't have that claremontian charm. or a villain as badass as the demon bear. demon bear saga is my all time favourite story.

Sienkiewicz is the shit

These two individuals know what they are talking about. That run on New Mutants is what really sucked me into comics in college. Claremont was still a great writer at that point and Sienkiewicz was doing things I had never seen in a comic book. I still love his art. It's too bad he really doesn't do much outside of the occasional inking job anymore.

The price is pretty LOL, they slapped some reprints in on the end to justify the price, but I think it has a lot of potential to be a great story, and Phil Noto is drawing the next two issues, so...maybe?

JJD

First issue was sort of iffy, this week's was pretty visually shocking; Paul Pelletier's an odd choice to do such gory pages, but he's the reason I signed on. Don't know enough about Bunn's writing to judge what I've seen so far.

Man just read the Sixth Gun...it's a great series.

There's 2 or 3 trades, we're at issue 21 or 22 by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom