• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

They posted some link to a place to buy super cheap old school 3D glasses. Wouldn't surprise me if they did a huge joke by making their Episode 1 review "3D" and just troll everyone.

It amazes me how much George Lucas seems to be a total doofus in all of their reviews involving him. All the "making off" documentary footage the reviewers use is so damning for him. The behind the scenes of the Phantom Menace are so embarrassing, with no-one daring to say anything against the guy. All the tense faces during the first screening, ...

And then in the Indiana Jones review, we see how it was Lucas that wanted a new film even though Spielberg said he was done with it. And how Lucas pushed for the Haunted House angle, and the alien angle, and ... and how Spielberg didn't want any of that but eventually caved in.

Lucas seems like a horrendous movie maker. I'd like to think the documentary footage speaks for itself, but perhaps the people from RLM paint a certain picture off him that's not entirely fair...?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It amazes me how much George Lucas seems to be a total doofus in all of their reviews involving him. All the "making off" documentary footage the reviewers use is so damning for him. The behind the scenes of the Phantom Menace are so embarrassing, with no-one daring to say anything against the guy. All the tense faces during the first screening, ...

And then in the Indiana Jones review, we see how it was Lucas that wanted a new film even though Spielberg said he was done with it. And how Lucas pushed for the Haunted House angle, and the alien angle, and ... and how Spielberg didn't want any of that but eventually caved in.

Lucas seems like a horrendous movie maker. I'd like to think the documentary footage speaks for itself, but perhaps the people from RLM paint a certain picture off him that's not entirely fair...?

Have you seen The People vs. George Lucas yet? It's just a documentary on the whole Lucas situation. Really well done. Seems like you are primed to see it, if you haven't already.

Strangely enough, the best thing i've ever read about Lucas is an article about his ex wife (and editor) Marcia.
Really in-depth stuff, gives you an idea about the (non-existant) emotional life of the man, about how everything changed radically for his family after SW and how his pipe dream to basically retire from filmmaking became the life-swallowing behemoth that is Lucasfilm.

Plus, a lot of what's good in SW is actually Marcia Lucas's work and influence, she was the "heart" that is so sorely missed in the prequels. But her contributions are forgotten and downplayed after their non amicable divorce.

I am finally getting around to watching the Red Tails one. I love how when George Lucas declares it as the first all-black action film the first thing Jon Stewart has to ask is, "Is that true!?"

EDIT: They criticize him for not just saying "I want to make a movie about this event in WWII and about planes" which could avoid issues, but then they show how playing the race card ended up giving him an audience by the news footage showing people on facebook supporting it and the interviewee hyped up for it, as well as him summoning the power of Oprah. Is this not a brilliant marketing move?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The convention episodes are hilarious! The one where he repeatedly cuts to lying on the floor is brilliant.

I watched the Insurrection review while doing some work now I have Harry Plinket in my head saying "Browns and beige! And light browns and dark browns and browns and beige!"

:(

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Whoa, one of the people during the interview sketch was Jay from Half in the Bag. Heh, love retroactive recognition like that.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
IGN said:
If people are ready and willing to pick apart Phantom Menace for its follies, why not point to the terrible choreography of the original trilogy too? And you can't say it's a lack of "technology," considering two things. One, the dogfight sequences in the original trilogy are still exciting to this day, and two, Hollywood had a long history of exciting sword fight choreography up to that point, none of which translates into the original trilogy

Hahaha

Edit: oh my god, it keeps on giving

They went and saw Red Tails. They weren't amused.

Seems like a good review of the film, but so much ignorance with regard to race issues in Hollywood.

They were using a lot of incorrect facts and bad examples to support their arguments. And their overall knowledge on some of the topics was embarrassing.

1.Using The Blaxploitation movies as an example of an all black movies from Hollywood is incorrect.

The majority were independent movies, because Hollywood wasn't making movies with black cast. There were a few like Shaft but the majority were independent.

2. The assertion that there have been plenty of major movies made that feature a majority black cast.

They used Glory as an example, which anyone who has seen the movie will tell you the focus of the movie Col. Shaw Matthew Brodericks character. There have not been many major studio financed movies with a majority black cast.

3. Contending Lucas saying that he would like to have the characters be role models to young black teenagers.

They said that there were already role models for young black teenagers, as someone who was a young black teenager I can say that they are wrong on that part. The vast majority of images that young black males are driven to emulate are athletes and rappers, who really shouldn't be anyones role model for the most part. They say "well how do we know they dont like history", well there are reasons I could write a 5 page paper off the top of my head why looking for role models in history books isn't something that is likely to happen, but I dont want to get into that now.

3. They question why the movie was even made.

They said well there is Glory, and The HBO version of the Tuskegee Airmen so why do we need this movie. This really pissed me off the most. It came off as you already got 2 movies about black people in war why do you need more isn't that enough. Aside from the fact that 1 of the movies they brought up was on HBO a channel that not everyone has, the story's are still relevant because many are still unaware of the contributions that African Americans have made during WW2.

4. Disputing the fact that many black story's have gone untold.

They then flash 8 movie posters to dispute this. I know the reviews are meant to be comical but that came across as very ignorant. The vast majority of biographical movies out are about white people, and there is nothing wrong with that. But to say that black, Asian, Hispanic, Indian and others are not under represented is kind of foolish.

I could go into more points but I really dont want to spend the next couple of hours going into it.

Excellent post.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
LTTP - I feel like you can bitch about a lot of things when it comes to Red Tails, but not the intent behind it. At the moment, Red Tails and Miracle at St. Anna are the only two movies about the black experience in WW2.

Just so much normative whiteness at play that it boggles the mind.

Oh. my. god. the skull and crossbones just kept going and going. ha ha.

I was just listening to it in another tab because I thought it'd just be the occasional cat/exploding-into-screen horror movie stuff when that noise started. I thought I was going crazy and then there was this surreal moment where I opened the tab and there was this skull staring at me.

TheYanger

LTTP - I feel like you can bitch about a lot of things when it comes to Red Tails, but not the intent behind it. At the moment, Red Tails and Miracle at St. Anna are the only two movies about the black experience in WW2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tuskegee_Airmen

It's literally a movie covering material that was covered WELL a mere 15 years ago.

That's like saying "There aren't movies about hobbits carrying rings of doom at the moment". Like, yeah, there are. It was already done and it was done better.

Cheerilee

So has anyone got a list of all the differences between this version and the original? omg dat ending

Rick's expanding head.
Various random inserts of a cat wandering in a yard.
Cat head pokes into frame at one point.
Picture of dead wife and some other item also floating underwater when Gin bottle is supposed to float though.
Repeated Friday the 13th (?) insert of Freddy Krueger's (?) head exploding a few times.
Horror movie (?) insert of somebody's head getting squished.
Skull and crossbones scene.

That's all I think I caught.

Edit: Stripper dancing.

The intent is absolutely the most dastardly and sick aspect of the whole thing. The condescending, ignorant and manipulative mindset of Lucas about blacks is so fucking offensive and his treatment of the blacks (but let's just say Americans) in Red Tails turn their experience into a cartoon treatment.

Great, Black Americans got a cartoon, a condescending rendition of who were in reality very brave and honor worthy men by a detached, money snatching commercial asshole who thinks he needs to give "the black youth" a hero because, quote " they don't anything to look up to "

No, the intent is the most disgusting thing behind the whole thing. What a way to belittle the brave Tuskegee Airmen and blacks in general by thinking you are doing 'them' a favor.

Fuck me, he's got cameos from Emperor Palpatine, the Star Wars Rick (not Berman), his amazing super-nerd voice...

I feel like I should stop listening now and wait till I have a chance to sit down and watch the film with this in the background. It will be a glorious experience!

They posted some link to a place to buy super cheap old school 3D glasses. Wouldn't surprise me if they did a huge joke by making their Episode 1 review "3D" and just troll everyone.
NAILED IT! Though, not having the 3D glasses, I'm super excited to eventually get 3D glasses and see how this works. Sounds like they actually went above and beyond the call!

Whoa, one of the people during the interview sketch was Jay from Half in the Bag. Heh, love retroactive recognition like that.
The dude with the red beard has been in a couple of their reviews, most notably the Transformers 3 review. The girl was "Rhoda Rhodenstein" in the What's Your Number? / Black Ninja review of Half in the Bag. Jay and Rich Evans ("Fake Plinkett") are regulars.

So, am I being completely crazy... Or is nobody in here talking about the far more exciting thing that RLM released today - Mike's full-length audio commentary for The Phantom Menace, performed in character as Plinkett?

I'm listening to it now...

EDIT: There's a link to it at the top of the RLM homepage, so I guess if you followed a link straight to the 3D re-release post you have a pretty good excuse for having missed it.
Holy shit listening now.

jimi_dini

IGN are right, there are probably 10 minutes in episode 1 that are interesting.

Yeah.
All sorts of stuff that just makes you "OMG, how fuckign bad can it get" and "OMG, how fuckign much can one ruin a franchise". Maybe also "OMG, how fuckign sterile can this be". The Plinkett review I can watch 10 times, but the actual movie multiple times? may I quote darth vader: nooooooooooo

I remember seeing Episode 1 at my home with a bunch of friends (we watched it before it got released in theaters here, boy were we excited). The scrolling text appeared - we were like yay. Then the movie started. Trade disputes. Jar-Jar Binks. Stupid kid actor. choreographed fights. And at the end we were "uhh boy". And we didn't even went to the theater (we wanted to do that originally).

androvsky

I finally got around to watching the Red Tails review, and they're complaining about the WWII prisoner of war escape scene. Apparently it's silly that the
escapee's tunnel didn't go all the way to the forest, and so the prisoners had to run for the treeline...
even though that's exactly what happened in The Great Escape, and something that happened in real life. :/

Scarecrow

So, am I being completely crazy... Or is nobody in here talking about the far more exciting thing that RLM released today - Mike's full-length audio commentary for The Phantom Menace, performed in character as Plinkett?

I'm listening to it now...

EDIT: There's a link to it at the top of the RLM homepage, so I guess if you followed a link straight to the 3D re-release post you have a pretty good excuse for having missed it.

Any instructions for syncing it up? When do you start the commentary in relation to the movie?

rekameohs

Banned
Phantom Phriday is awesome

At the end of part 1 of the commentary
Plinkett's voice starts to go crazy and it sounds like the Palpatine impression. New sub-plot?!

Top Bottom