• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miniature Gaming-Age (WH40k, Warmachine, Etc.)

So we got threads for board games, and lot of RPG threads, but wheres the love for miniature hobby gaming? I know we got tons of 40k fans on this board, so lets get some discussion going. And not just 40k, but how about Warmachine/Hordes? Any old school fans of stuff like Battletech?

4402267202_672ae100e0_o.jpg
4401501481_d02d6b79f4_o.jpg

Post up your pics of your collections, paint work, conversions, battle reports, personal reviews. Got any questions about any mini gaming, lets hear it! What are your currently playing, any comments on said game, any gaming news of interest? Let's having gaming gaf represent. I love gaming as a whole and am a big fan of hobby gaming of all type. Building, painting, making terrain, it's all so good.

4402267166_2e93113063_o.jpg
4401501443_290b0bb567_o.jpg

As someone who has been in the hobby for years and tries to get into as many games as I physically can I love to give everything a try and have a massive collection of different products. In the future the wife and me hope to also settle down and open a game shop of our own eventually, and have sold gaming products in the past myself. So I'm thinking of also going through various game experiences and posting up detailed reviews of games as this thread goes along. Lot of gamers only get exposed to few titles like the Warhammer products (which I love), but there is a huge variety of great games on the market that deserve more exposure! And not just hobby gaming, even stuff like CMG's are welcome here! So gaming gaf, what do you play?

And a great resource for table top gaming world that focuses on all aspects of the hobby for those looking to expand your horizons: http://www.tabletopgamingnews.com/

Reviews:

- Flames of War
- Wings of War
- Malifaux
- INFINITY
- Dust Tactics
- Battletech
- The Uncharted Seas
- Heavy Gear
- Star Wars: X-Wing

This was at a great local store that closed down due to family issues, but we had arranged a mega battle for 40k, this is long before the Apocalypse rules so we had somethings from Forgeworld tossed in. All in all, we had about 30,000 points on the board. We stuck together 4 6x4 boards to make the game table. Forces were a bit mixed due to balancing teams/points, but all in all it was just a big fun day of eating and gaming all around.

4402297366_1acdc87fda_o.jpg

JoeBoy101 said:
Still lamenting the loss of Chronopia. Such an interesting take on classical fantasy races.

The universe was pretty cool and unique visually. I was big into their sister product 'warzone' as I was huge into Mutant Chronicles. It's sad also that both these games were doing well till the parent company decided that they wanted to turn into software developers :lol

Leunam

Big Battles are fun as hell (nothing like getting blasted by a Basilisk from the other end of the store) even if they do take forever to complete.

I'm always working on something, but for now my main focus is Battlefleet Gothic. I'll post one of my completed cruisers tonight.

JoeBoy101

BattleMonkey said:
The universe was pretty cool and unique visually. I was big into their sister product 'warzone' as I was huge into Mutant Chronicles. It's sad also that both these games were doing well till the parent company decided that they wanted to turn into software developers :lol

Oh, yes, I was in Warzone too. Had a Dark Legion and Mishima(?) army. Doing those figures with a rising sun motif really helped advance my painting skills. That and the scales that took FUCKING FOREVER on the Dragon Bike.

I do miss painting WH40K and Inquisitor minis though. Nostalgia almost makes me want to start again. Had a Space Wolf (Pride and Joy), Chaos (Typhon is still one of their best minis), and Necron armies, with a bit of Dark Eldar.

RyanDG

I'm mostly a historical/ancients miniature gamer... DBA w/ a hint of Field of Glory mixed in. The PC version of the Field of Glory rule set has been taking my time up recently. Its a good hexed make interpretation of the actual table top rules (and though being a little on the expensive side) has a great PBEM set up that is rather addictive.

I currently have an order in place for some Andalusians, so when I get them in and start painting I'll be sure to post some images.

I'll also have to see if I can dig out my Parthians...

never been into it, and seriously doubt I ever will (DoW2 is sweet at the moment however) but goddamn do I love looking at how people paint up their models and leafing through White Dwarf.

Had some free copy of White Dwarf once and that set me up that if in the far future I ever do this, it'll be an Eldar army.

hiryu

I used to be heavy into 40k and then Warhammer Fantasy and then Warmachine but as a hobby it takes too many resources, time and cash. I still literally have thousands of dollars of minis in storage some of the stuff isn't even opened.

Leunam said:
Big Battles are fun as hell (nothing like getting blasted by a Basilisk from the other end of the store) even if they do take forever to complete.

I'm always working on something, but for now my main focus is Battlefleet Gothic. I'll post one of my completed cruisers tonight.

I enjoy Gothic, it's a game that I have meant to build a fleet for, but never got around to it. Love the ork ramming ships. I am getting into Firestorm Armada at the moment which is similar, and also old fan of Babylon 5 Wars.

JoeBoy101 said:
Oh, yes, I was in Warzone too. Had a Dark Legion and Mishima(?) army. Doing those figures with a rising sun motif really helped advance my painting skills. That and the scales that took FUCKING FOREVER on the Dragon Bike.

Had a healthy Capital force. The game was on the upswing and they had gotten some real sculpting talent into the line as well before they got restructured. Too bad the attempt to bring back Warzone was a huge failure a couple years ago. Had high hopes till we saw the actual new rulebook :lol

Bjern Fita said:
never been into it, and seriously doubt I ever will (DoW2 is sweet at the moment however) but goddamn do I love looking at how people paint up their models and leafing through White Dwarf.

Had some free copy of White Dwarf once and that set me up that if in the far future I ever do this, it'll be an Eldar army.

Even if your not looking to get into the game (yet!), it wouldn't be a bad idea to perhaps find a model you like of Eldar range and just pick it up to build and paint as a hobby. Know quite a few people who don't play but enjoy collecting various pieces for hobby work.

Leunam

Firestorm Armada looks great. I was going to start a Dindrezi fleet but I don't have anywhere to really play it since GW doesn't allow non-GW games and unfortunately, there aren't many decent sized clubs that are worth joining around here. I'll probably pick up a fleet eventually, just not within the next three months.

Does Mage Knight count? My friends and I got hardcore into it for a year or two haha. Even after they stopped playing with me I finished collecting my Solonavi crew by obtaining all 5 haha.

elitehebrew said:
Does Mage Knight count? My friends and I got hardcore into it for a year or two haha. Even after they stopped playing with me I finished collecting my Solonavi crew by obtaining all 5 haha.

Sure CMG's are fine (collectible miniature games). I play several and did dabble in Mage Knight for a while. Some people look down on these games but I think it's all good and often they turn into gateway games for people interested in the larger hobby games.

Leunam said:
Firestorm Armada looks great. I was going to start a Dindrezi fleet but I don't have anywhere to really play it since GW doesn't allow non-GW games and unfortunately, there aren't many decent sized clubs that are worth joining around here. I'll probably pick up a fleet eventually, just not within the next three months.

Ah in Europe by chance? Know lot of place there have no gaming shops outside of Game Workshop stores. Firestorm is similar to their naval game Uncharted Seas, which I also got into by picking up two of the starter fleets. No major groups playing it around here but find it easy to get people to try it out when I got available armies to demo it with. Right now trying to wrangle some friends into getting into Firestorm. The ships are fantastic looking and I too am heavily interested in the Dindrezi fleet.

After the whole space marine vs spartan I bought some random WH40K figures and paintings, I really like the designs but actual gameplay looks awful. I really enjoy painting them though.

Is it any good? Assault on Black Reach is quite expensive (in my country, and it's really hard to find citadel paintings) and I don't know if it's worth it.

To start off with my personal reviews, I will be going with a game I am currently in the process of starting, Flames of War

4402552684_ca8ffc36ab_o.jpg

What is it?
- Flames of War is a WWII 15mm miniature game. It obviously would fit into the historical range of games, but Flames of War is probably one of the only historicals to ever reach wide market appeal. Battlefront who make the game have created a completely high quality product all around which has garnered much recognition from gamers in comparison to most historicals, which often have piss poor production values.

The rules
- The game will be appreciated by many fans of the Warhammer series of games as FoW makes use of some similar game mechanics. And it should be expected as the designers of the game were former employees of Games Workshop. The core gameplay while similar to warhammer 40k, is basically much more detailed to give it more depth. Much more realistic tactical options are given to breath some realism into the game and to make it slightly less abstract as 40k. Instead of broad rules governing all figures, each unit type usually has unique rules attached to it to give it a more proper feel.

Game is division based primarily so you will have fairly large armies when considering amount of troops and figures, though being 15mm scale the figs are small so it's more manageable than one would think. Infantry is done on a platoon level with multiple figures per base, you don't use individual figure rules in this game. Game includes your basic battle scenarios, though there are tons of historic set scenarios to recreate specific battles.

Army building is pretty simple and very open with your selections. Being WWII based you have hundreds of divisions to choose from and all are obviously based off their true historical counterparts. Choose a division of your choice, and basically purchase a leader platoon, as well as one or two core platoons, and from then on you got free reign to purchase your army from usually a large assortment of time period specific and accurate choices. The books are quite detailed. The game is primarily ground battle oriented, though air power is involved for the use as air support.

4402566208_5ec42fdb62_o.jpg

Further Notes:
- The game is quite popular and one of the only historicals that you will often find in your common game store. Theres hundreds of historical games on the market though most are very niche products with very hardcore followings. One of the trappings of historical gaming that sets many people off is the fact that it's historical and the type of people who enjoy playing these games are realism fanatics and also like to stick to recreating actual historic battles. This limits the game appeal in many peoples eyes. With Flames of War Battlefront decided to make the game more open with a more traditional approach in play. Instead of forcing players to play realistic recreations, you simply choose one of three eras of WWII, and pick a list and battle another list from the same era. Even though the two forces never met in reality, it does not matter.

This has caused some historical gamers to look down upon the game, as well as some finding the game mechanics to be too simplistic, while history buffs can often be very technical hence preferring complex historical games that don't have much appeal. The game though has garnered much success from it's simple rules along with amazing quality figs and books.

Pros:
+ Wide line of products, well priced.
+ Amazing production values
+ Simple yet semi realistic rules
+ Lot of detail giving lots of room for expanding.
+ Play out large scale battles relatively quickly

Cons:
- Daunting game size. Being historical game does present a ton of options to play and it can scare away many.
- The simplification of the ruleset can kind of cramp certain historic aspects of various vehicles when compared to other similar ones. Using a D6 based system and limited stats, to set everything apart accurately is difficult but they do a decent job.
- 3 Eras of War. When you play you got to choose early, mid, or late war. This means your opponents will have usually an army built for a single period of the war so it does hurt the pool of gamers. Tournaments are generally run with a predetermined era so if you didn't build a force for that time period, your out of luck.
- The game has not covered the Pacific Theater yet. Often requested by fans, but so far they concentrate on the European front. They do plan on some day doing Pacific though.

And for the hell of it, this is a camera phone shot of some of my finished SS Panzer Division :D
4402552706_a8a54cc9fa.jpg

If you got any questions on Flames of War or about my review, let me know! I hope to do many more on other games I play (which is alot!) Also check out the official site at www.flamesofwar.com

Am I going to get roasted for mentioning Heroclix? :lol

I played Warhammer (fantasy) once and it rocked, but I don't have that much interest in the subject matter so I've never gotten around to painting more than a few of my miniatures.

Quagm1r3

Ignatz Mouse said:

I played Warhammer (fantasy) once and it rocked, but I don't have that much interest in the subject matter so I've never gotten around to painting more than a few of my miniatures.

I think I heard about heroclix. Isn't it the one where you press a button on the bottom when you get hit? I heard heroclix is reeeally expensive though.

Ignatz Mouse said:

Heroclix is very popular and one of the few CMG's to have outlasted any other. The game in particular has done well in large part due to it drawing in the comic book fans. It's a simple game, but comic book fans eat it up. I notice that often theres not much else fans of heroclix play outside of that one game. The love for it by comic fans has also lead it to be played in many comic book shops. The game is going strong and looks like it will continue to do so.

BomberMouse said:
After the whole space marine vs spartan I bought some random WH40K figures and paintings, I really like the designs but actual gameplay looks awful. I really enjoy painting them though.

Is it any good? Assault on Black Reach is quite expensive (in my country, and it's really hard to find citadel paintings) and I don't know if it's worth it.

Well taking it up just for hobby purposes is cool too. Have you done much gaming or would 40k be one of your first? 40K rules are not the greatest I would say, but the game for it's scale is designed to be abstract and quick to play. It may seem awkward at first but it's make believe. It is often better to first be introduced to the game by having someone run a small demo game for you to get a better feel for the game with terrain, painted figs, etc. Diagrams and rules often will make things seem bland when the whole package is much more interesting.

Also tip, don't buy Citadel hobby stuff like paints, go looking at local craft stores for cheap acrylic paints. Massive price difference that will save you tons.

Heroclix has gotten more complex with time, but not in an overall tactics/strategy way as with most minis, but with regard to knowing the universe of stats and combinations, and understanding probabilities and risks. It doesn't have much in common with classic wargaming-- the odds and risk-assessment factor is there, but the way it presents itself in these games is vastly different. It's really more like a CCG with geometry as a factor.

I do wish my Heroclix looked half as good as other mini games. I've repainted/modified quite a few, but nothing like what a good Warhammer piece looks like.

There's a superhero mini system called Super System wich is (from my once-trhough of the rules and more limited understanding) Superhero Warhammer. I've never played, though.

Ignatz Mouse said:
There's a superhero mini system called Super System wich is (from my once-trhough of the rules and more limited understanding) Superhero Warhammer. I've never played, though.

Super System is quite fun actually. The game is unique in that you pretty much create your own super hero/villain using the rules. You have a base to work with and you have a large assortment of powers, stats, abilities that you then modify using the rules to create your own creations, which you then can pit against another player. The game is a generic rule set really as it has a very loose universe and not set figures, so players can create their own custom figures or use their own choices.

When we played it before, what we did was use small toys of marvel characters, we then would use the Super System rulebook to recreate that hero/villain we chose a figure for and then we made teams and battled it out.

It's a fun little system and all you got to do is buy a single cheap book, rest is up to you.

Brak

I was really in to Blood Bowl and Necromunda about 10 years ago. My brother was much more involved in table-top gaming and other nerdy stuff and would always recruit me to play with him. I also enjoyed it, as I am very much interested in tactical and strategic games, but he was my primary motivation and connection to those types of games. I just don't really hang out in circles with people who play these games. Either way I can certainly appreciate the sense of accomplishment in painting and putting together a team.

At this point in my life though, I just can't justify spending that kind of money or time on miniatures. I should really buy that Blood Bowl PC game that came out a couple of months ago. I got the PSP version which is a good time waster, but the AI is so braindead you really need to play against real people.

BattleMonkey said:
Well taking it up just for hobby purposes is cool too. Have you done much gaming or would 40k be one of your first? 40K rules are not the greatest I would say, but the game for it's scale is designed to be abstract and quick to play. It may seem awkward at first but it's make believe. It is often better to first be introduced to the game by having someone run a small demo game for you to get a better feel for the game with terrain, painted figs, etc. Diagrams and rules often will make things seem bland when the whole package is much more interesting.

Also tip, don't buy Citadel hobby stuff like paints, go looking at local craft stores for cheap acrylic paints. Massive price difference that will save you tons.

It'd be my first. I bought some MageKnight years ago but never played it, I just liked the minis :lol

As for the paintings, that's what I did (about 1/3 or 1/4 of the price). I also bought some cheap tanks to practice my painting first. These are oil based and I heard water based works better, is that true?

I've seen a Battle for skull pass set that comes with 12 citadel paintings which I though was nice but I really prefer the 40k figures over the fantasy ones. I think I'll finish my current figs first but I'm really tempted at that whole assault on black reach set (though it's around $100 here, could you recommend a good online shop that ships internationally?, it'd great if they also sell board games).

Maybe another game/starter set? Due to my job I spend way too much in front of a PC monitor so I'm looking into other hobbies besides gaming.

BomberMouse said:
It'd be my first. I bought some MageKnight years ago but never played it, I just liked the minis :lol

As for the paintings, that's what I did (about 1/3 or 1/4 of the price). I also bought some cheap tanks to practice my painting first. These are oil based and I heard water based works better, is that true?

I've seen a Battle for skull pass set that comes with 12 citadel paintings which I though was nice but I really prefer the 40k figures over the fantasy ones. I think I'll finish my current figs first but I'm really tempted at that whole assault on black reach set (though it's around $100 here, could you recommend a good online shop that ships internationally?, it'd great if they also sell board games).

Maybe another game/starter set? Due to my job I spend way too much in front of a PC monitor so I'm looking into other hobbies besides gaming.

Miniaturemarket.com I believe ships internationally and with exchance rates might work out better for you. For GW products you would need to call or email them an order though. They sell stuff usually at 20% off normally.

Brak said:
I was really in to Blood Bowl and Necromunda about 10 years ago. My brother was much more involved in table-top gaming and other nerdy stuff and would always recruit me to play with him. I also enjoyed it, as I am very much interested in tactical and strategic games, but he was my primary motivation and connection to those types of games. I just don't really hang out in circles with people who play these games. Either way I can certainly appreciate the sense of accomplishment in painting and putting together a team.

At this point in my life though, I just can't justify spending that kind of money or time on miniatures. I should really buy that Blood Bowl PC game that came out a couple of months ago. I got the PSP version which is a good time waster, but the AI is so braindead you really need to play against real people.

Well Blood Bowl is quite popular still, and really it is fairly cheap to play. Just create a team and your done, not much else involved in it. If you can find people to play or a place that runs leagues of the game, it is alot of fun. It's much cheaper than most tabletop wargames.

BattleMonkey said:
Super System is quite fun actually. The game is unique in that you pretty much create your own super hero/villain using the rules. You have a base to work with and you have a large assortment of powers, stats, abilities that you then modify using the rules to create your own creations, which you then can pit against another player. The game is a generic rule set really as it has a very loose universe and not set figures, so players can create their own custom figures or use their own choices.

When we played it before, what we did was use small toys of marvel characters, we then would use the Super System rulebook to recreate that hero/villain we chose a figure for and then we made teams and battled it out.

It's a fun little system and all you got to do is buy a single cheap book, rest is up to you.

I bought the 2nd edition-- 3rd edition is out now. I also like that there are pre-created versions of existing characters, as playing as known characters is a big part of the draw for me. Unfortunately I don't really have anyone to play it with.

Ignatz Mouse said:
I bought the 2nd edition-- 3rd edition is out now. I also like that there are pre-created versions of existing characters, as playing as known characters is a big part of the draw for me. Unfortunately I don't really have anyone to play it with.

Well if you play some heroclix I'm sure you can wrangle some people into some super system games. Seen folks use heroclix figs for the system.

I remember a friend try to use batman and recreate him with the super system, but it didn't work out well..... batman is not simple character to make.

Leunam

Well I tried, but I couldn't get my camera to take decent pictures of some of my models. I'll have to try again tonight.

Leunam said:
Well I tried, but I couldn't get my camera to take decent pictures of some of my models. I'll have to try again tonight.

What kind of Fleet are you doing? I had originally intended to do orks cause I like how you can create your own ships by making the cobbled together rock ships and such, but I'm liking the idea of a nurgle themed Chaos fleet.

Leunam

Imperial Navy for now. Chaos was my second choice, Nurgle themed too. I might end up going with a Tzeench theme.

I've got one cruiser built and painted (green body, white prow), two that are primed, and three waiting to be assembled. I've also got about six Sword class frigates waiting to be built. Once I get a feel for what I want from cruisers, I'll get the other three built. Orks had me interested as well since I like the idea of floating around in a Rok and bashing stuff, but I need to get a feel for the game first.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
I don't have the slightest damn clue how you play these games, but I've always wanted to collect them all and just look at them or someshit.

I don't own a single one, though.

For anyone going to megacon, they are going to be running a cool event involving star ship modelers. Giant custom made Star Wars capital ship battles will be run. This is not a game that is sold anywhere, but a custom game that this group has made up and do at cons, believe folks can also volunteer to jump in and try it out. Just to spectate should be interesting to see some of the neat giant models. http://www.megaconvention.com/view/gaming/

csc02.jpg

EvaPlusMinus said:
I don't have the slightest damn clue how you play these games, but I've always wanted to collect them all and just look at them or someshit.

Well like video game rpgs and such, it's all based on numerical stats that are assigned to units, and you usually roll dice to determine based on stats if stuff is successful. Range tools like tape measures used to calculate range of movement and weapon firing. It's alot of abstraction of course due to using models, but every game system is different.

Just got in my Incursion box set. It's a miniature game/board game hybrid. Board game components are ok, but the minis are awesome. The figs you have to add yourself and sold separately from the board game, but it livens up the game quite a bit.

4404348733_cd67a003c8.jpg

Alternate WWII game where the war never ended because Nazi's developed a special gas that makes zombies, causing it to drag out till 1949. So you get lot of crazy things like power armored US troops, werewolves, etc.

Well the game is available free on their website, you can buy the figs and just print out or create your own tiles if you wanted, they do encourage players to create their own scenarios and campaigns. Saw someone who built an entire underground Nazi lab that even connected to a submarine launch bay for the game. They just recently release the boxed board game which uses standees instead of figs if you don't got them. Cardboard play surface with doors, and such (though a seller on ebay makes resin replacements you can buy).

The game takes place in the Secrets of the Third Reich universe, a game from West Wind in the UK. That's a miniature game similar to 40k but set in the Alternate WWII universe. The figs from Incursion do have rules for use in that game as well now.

http://www.incursiongame.com/

jason10mm

Gold Member
I have space hulk and Last night on Earth, and Doom, so those are sorta kinda miniature games :) Have yet to paint Space Hulk though, I am learning by painting all my LNoE, Touch of Evil, Adventurers, and Runebound minis first.

Any word on the Battletech reprint? I want original minis, robotech style!

jason10mm said:
I have space hulk and Last night on Earth, and Doom, so those are sorta kinda miniature games :) Have yet to paint Space Hulk though, I am learning by painting all my LNoE, Touch of Evil, Adventurers, and Runebound minis first.

Any word on the Battletech reprint? I want original minis, robotech style!

The new box set is coming soon, but don't think it's going to include any of the old robotech style mecha in it. Some of the old anime clone mecha also they still couldn't get permission to rerelease so only some of those old suits will make a come back.

The rules and such for Battletech are all current though and widely available, they just want to do a new box set with assortment of plastic mechs for the games anniversary.

Magicked

I just ordered the Cryx and Khador battleboxes for Warmachine. I've been reading through the rules, so I can't wait for them to arrive so I can get started. :)

Anyone else played Warmachine/Hordes before?

I played Heroclix for a looong time. Yeah it suckers a lot of comic fans in. I like the dial though, and how the stats change as the figure takes damage. Eventually the new sets were just offering less and less incentive to buy. Too many re-hashes of the same heroes with a slightly different dial. Really now, who wants that many Daredevils? I still play with freinds, just don't buy any or go to tourneys.

I also played the recent starwars collectible. Another fun game but I've found the sepratists are fairly OPed.

hiryu

Magicked said:
I just ordered the Cryx and Khador battleboxes for Warmachine. I've been reading through the rules, so I can't wait for them to arrive so I can get started. :)

I was heavilly into both. Make sure you get baneknights for your cryx. I haven't played since they came out with the revised rules but baneknights, Deneghra, and the Witches are all awesome.

Magicked

hiryu said:
I was heavilly into both. Make sure you get baneknights for your cryx. I haven't played since they came out with the revised rules but baneknights, Deneghra, and the Witches are all awesome.

Sweet, will do. It looks like I'm starting up at the right time with the Mk II rules. A friend and I are going to try the game out with the battleboxes, and expand if we enjoy it. I also have a feeling that we'll jump into Hordes if all goes well, because there are some awesome factions. :D

Magicked said:

It's a good game, I used to play Warmachine but I quit due to various issues I had with the game/company, but I have gone and bought a Trollblood army for Hordes. To me Hordes while nearly the same game, has better mechanics.

The new rules for Warmachine though do fix things that I originally didn't like about the game, which was how underpowered the warjacks were. Most players simply made infantry armies which to me defeated the purpose of the game. The new MKII rules buff warjacks by a good amount. Though I'm sticking with Hordes... course they are treated as the same game usually by the players anyways.

As the other recommended Bane Knights are nice, though I think Bane Thralls are the must have unit for Cryx that almost every Cryx player uses. My old Cryx army was all about Banes so I had tons of them.

TheRagnCajun said:
I also played the recent starwars collectible. Another fun game but I've found the sepratists are fairly OPed.

Well star wars minis changed heavily with each set it seemed. Some new crazy combo of figs would be found that would change everything like with most collectible games. I enjoyed it due to how it covered all aspects of star wars and didn't focus on just the movies.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
Some really nice looking models in there. I can't believe how much GW's plastic models have improved over the past few years. Can't wait to see the new Sisters of Battle and Grey Knight models.

A much better job than they have done with most of the previous chapter figs, though Blood Angels and Space Wolves always have had the most character of them all.

Can see lot of folks picking up the new Blood Angel stuff just for conversions for Dark Angels

Well that is alot of miniatures in just those ranges, and anyways thats two games :p

Now now, theres ton's of miniature gaming love to go around, so many awesome products on the market. I find myself collecting rulebooks for almost all games just to read up on the rules and see what everyone does.

JoeBoy101

DiatribeEQ said:
There is only one miniature that people need to concern themselves with: Warhammer & Warhammer 40k.

That is all.

Wrong.

PHO_GRIFFON-03.jpg

PHO_WOLFEN-01_0.jpg

PHO_BELIER-01.jpg

PHO_WOLFEN-02.jpg

PHO_SCORPION-03.jpg

PHO_SCORPION-01.jpg

PHO_BELIER-02.jpg

PHO_LION-01.jpg

PHO_SCORPION-02.jpg

Sorry for the picture overload. Don't get me wrong, Games Workshop is hellua good. But these miniatures are probably the best I've ever had the joy of working with. HIGHLY detailed, but not too busy or overly laden with trinkets, belt pouch, ammo, etc., so it leaves alot of intentional space for painter creativity. Very original designs too. Can't say how the game plays though as I never found another person who had it. :lol

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
BattleMonkey said:
A much better job than they have done with most of the previous chapter figs, though Blood Angels and Space Wolves always have had the most character of them all.

Can see lot of folks picking up the new Blood Angel stuff just for conversions for Dark Angels

I Doubt there are many Dark Angels players left given the state of the codex. First they lose all bike armies to the codex Marines then they lose all Termie armies to the Space Puppies.

JoeBoy101 said:
Sorry for the picture overload. Don't get me wrong, Games Workshop is hellua good. But these miniatures are probably the best I've ever had the joy of working with. HIGHLY detailed, but not too busy or overly laden with trinkets, belt pouch, ammo, etc., so it leaves alot of intentional space for painter creativity. Very original designs too. Can't say how the game plays though as I never found another person who had it. :lol

Ah Confrontation, how I hate thee. I used to be hardcore into Confrontation in the old days till Rackham came and took a shit all over the game. The figs you posted are even the new crappier figs. They seriously had cooler looking figs back in the day. It's also sad how much they lie with these pictures, the final product look nothing like these. The new army box paint jobs are grotesque, some figs basically have two colors applied to them only.

The new game is also pretty mediocre, it's a wargame in scale compared to being a skirmish game like in the old days. You used to only need 10 or so figs for a Confrontation force. Despite my hate for Rackham, I do like their sci fi game AT-43, and do have a Ram confrontation force, but they are a shitty company and was so glad when their former head was kicked out of the company recently. Guy bankrupted the company already once.

If your going to repaint the figs and such they aren't as bad, though lot of the grunt troopers they are doing are pretty awful in the sculpt department, with very static poses. Some of the early figs also had lot of "rubber weapon" problems with the plastics looking bent out of shape and such. The individuals are much more exciting though.

The figs they use in their pics also are generally original resin casts and not the plastic they use, so you get more detailed looking figs that are much crisper than the production versions.

Top Bottom