• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
SlN1XGJ.jpg
Like father, like son

It's kind of a bummer that Dante and Nero didn't end up getting some bigger hitboxes on a few moves in order to scale them better for LDK mode along with the other characters. Stuff that already kinda adapts well is, for example (even though I think it's a very very lame move), Pandora's gunship mode, which can hit a large number of targets but will do less damage because of it (or focus all of its missiles on a single target for pretty-decent damage).

I'm not up for changing the amount of damage they do, mind you, but giving Nero's DT sword moves or his lv3 charge shot explosion bigger hitboxes would've been nice even if it's nowhere near the scale of Vergil's fullscreen phantom strike move, Lady's Hysteric, or Trish's huge Round Trip move.

As-is, they should all be more or less equally balanced for boss fights (I'm supposing), but wildly differently balanced for LDK mode, and that's a bummer.

Here is Vergil's opening movie

Opening for Lady & Trish.

And the opening for the game in general

I have the ending of Lady & Trish uploading now. Now sure if I can post it in here though.

No reason not to as long as you mark it clearly and maybe use spoiler tags. I guess that since the mobile version of GAF auto-embeds YouTube videos you can stick it in a

Code:
code

tag so it won't (I think) auto-embed and spoil people with the thumbnail. The Lady/Trish and Vergil opening/closing videos are clearly just for fun, though, and don't really spoil anything.

Dahbomb

The Lady/Trish and Vergil intros were already posted by various game media a few weeks ago so those are definitely safe to post.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
It's kind of a bummer that Dante and Nero didn't end up getting some bigger hitboxes on a few moves in order to scale them better for LDK mode along with the other characters. Stuff that already kinda adapts well is, for example (even though I think it's a very very lame move), Pandora's gunship mode, which can hit a large number of targets but will do less damage because of it (or focus all of its missiles on a single target for pretty-decent damage).

I'm not up for changing the amount of damage they do, mind you, but giving Nero's DT sword moves or his lv3 charge shot explosion bigger hitboxes would've been nice even if it's nowhere near the scale of Vergil's fullscreen phantom strike move, Lady's Hysteric, or Trish's huge Round Trip move.

As-is, they should all be more or less equally balanced for boss fights (I'm supposing), but wildly differently balanced for LDK mode, and that's a bummer.

I would have liked them to do a bit of tweaking to them as well. Part of me thinks that they originally opted to keep Dante and Nero true to their original versions so as not to alienate existing hardcore players, but then added the OG mode later on.

Also, perhaps since Itsuno made the new characters with the intent of making them feel exceptionally powerful, he wanted to base characters there as a "control" to the "experimental" characters.

even when the recommended spec is higher? 570 vs 460 is a bit

Hm, can you run vanilla DMC4? PS4 is the safe option. PC will always be cheaper down the line if you decide to double dip.

NateDrake

You can post it just give a spoiler warning although with the bare bones cutscene additions in this I severely doubt there will be any spoilers in the cutscenes (but be safe anyway).

Yeah, nothing is really spoiled by it. I'll mark it accordingly with big letters.

SheHateMe

My Play Asia order has shipped!

I'm totally going to jump in the tournament with Lady. I'll look like a total amaetur, but I'll do it anyway!

This has been one of the best weeks in gaming for me in a LONG time.

I would have liked them to do a bit of tweaking to them as well. Part of me thinks that they originally opted to keep Dante and Nero true to their original versions so as not to alienate existing hardcore players, but then added the OG mode later on.

Also, perhaps since Itsuno made the new characters with the intent of making them feel exceptionally powerful, he wanted to base characters there as a "control" to the "experimental" characters.

Hm, can you run vanilla DMC4? PS4 is the safe option. PC will always be cheaper down the line if you decide to double dip.

hmm this is true...

Dahbomb

I am just going to straight up say that it's very disappointing that they didn't make balance changes to Dante/Nero along with some of the enemies ESPECIALLY when there's a toggle to revert back to the old DMC4 settings if you feel like it.

I could've understood that they wanted to keep the game "pure" but that's the whole purpose of the classic version in the game. They could've gone ham with the balance changes. Lower height restrictions on moves, hit boxes on moves, additional properties to moves, faster start ups and recoveries etc.

Sephzilla

I'm probably going to enter with Vergil because I'm feeling motivated!

I'm also going to give Trish a shot as well, almost entirely because that color-swap for her is too good to not use.

Got the shipping confirmation for my Play-Asia Asian copy just as I clicked on this thread. Now I'm motivated.

EDIT - Boy that Lady/Trish cinematic
sure is a whole load of fucking nothing, huh? Where's my glorious new Shimomura fight choreography?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Huh. Didn't know there was an "Original mode" code/function. Does that throw Lady/Trish, Vergil out the window and is basically a carbon copy of the original release?

Nerdkiller

Membeur
My physical copy just shipped from Play Asia, so it won't be long before I'll finally get to experience what I missed out last gen.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Looking forward to this. 2 and 4 are the DMCs I haven't played and I'm in no rush for 2. It'll have to wait until after Arkham though.

Valnen

Do pre-order themes ever go for sale on the PSN after the game they're attached to comes out? I want that Vergil theme but can't afford to preorder the game.

I am just going to straight up say that it's very disappointing that they didn't make balance changes to Dante/Nero along with some of the enemies ESPECIALLY when there's a toggle to revert back to the old DMC4 settings if you feel like it.

I could've understood that they wanted to keep the game "pure" but that's the whole purpose of the classic version in the game. They could've gone ham with the balance changes. Lower height restrictions on moves, hit boxes on moves, additional properties to moves, faster start ups and recoveries etc.

Yeah exactly. And my man Dante shoulda got Ricoshot properties on his handgun charge shot.

With regard to increasing range/hitboxes, this might be really extreme and over-the-top, but: imagine a fully charged and just-released Drive making it so that every single Rebellion slash Dante does for the next few seconds sends out another Drive blast. It'd be fucking nuts, hahaha. I'd also be totally down for DTed Nero's grab move having the full Buy In effect, because it doesn't deal damage so why not just go ham with it.

Additional DLC (aka Microtransactions)

Unlockable content, such as game modes, Super Nero/Dante/Vergil, Proud Souls, and Blue Orbs, can be purchased as add-on content. You can unlock this content by playing the game on Devil Hunter difficulty and above. If you've played DMC4 previously or if you would just like quicker access to the content, you also have the option to unlock it by purchasing it as add-on content.

First time I've heard about this. If the content can be unlocked, why bother including this option to begin with? Seems like a waste.

Looking past that, looking forward to checking this version out.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
First time I've heard about this. If the content can be unlocked, why bother including this option to begin with? Seems like a waste.

Same as Burnout Paradise and EA's "Time-savers" pack, means someone that DOESN'T want to go through the hassle to 100% can 100% and then enjoy the game the way they want/sandbox.

Dahbomb

Is there a reason why there's a 30 second limit? That's way too short for a combo competition
It's so that new players can just post their single best combo. 30 seconds is more than enough to post a good combo.. the gifs posted in the OP are combos that are less than 30 seconds.

We are not looking for long combo videos with fancy editing and stuff. Even the Capcom one was 1 minute for most of them.

Oh nice. So what does classic bring to Vergil, Trish/Lady?
You don't get the fast sprint activation or the fast Souls/Orbs acquisition. Basically useless IMO.

For people who have already played DMC4 they don't want to go through the entire game to unlock certain difficulties, modes, costumes and leveling up the characters.

I don't like to tell people to how to play a game....but...

(*)Choose Automatic OFF (the game doesn't tell you what it does when you are prompted to choose, so I'm telling you now choose OFF.)

(*)Seriously consider playing the game on Turbo Mode. Go to the in-game options systems menu to turn it on.

(*)Seriously Consider playing the game on Devil Hunter. Capcom describes it has some hardcore mode, but it's not. In fact, it's still significantly easier than the normal difficulty of DMC3 and DMC1. Human mode (EASY) will bore to death.

(*)Learn how to just-rev with Nero. I'll let you figure out the details for fun but as a heads up think Squal's gunblade system from FF8.

Enjoy!!!

I checked the last stream and if you finish Devil Hunter you can go to Sons of Sparda with any character combination

(*)Choose Automatic OFF (the game doesn't tell you what it does when you are prompted to choose, so I'm telling you now choose OFF.)

(*)Seriously consider playing the game on Turbo Mode. Go to the in-game options systems menu to turn it on.

(*)Seriously Consider playing the game on Devil Hunter. Capcom describes it has some hardcore mode, but it's not. In fact, it's still significantly easier than the normal difficulty of DMC3 and DMC1. Human mode (EASY) will bore to death.

(*)Learn how to just-rev with Nero. I'll let you figure out the details for fun but as a heads up think Squal's gunblade system from FF8.

Enjoy!!!

I don't know about DMC4's Devil Hunter being easier than DMC1's Normal, I really don't think that DMC1 is hard until Dante Must Die where suddenly the game tells you you need to git gud to continue and I certainly had more problems with DMC4's Devil Hunter than DMC1 ever gave to me in Normal, if DMC4 didn't follow the Gold Orb standard set in DMC3;SE nobody would think it's that easy

Dahbomb

Enjoy!!!
This stuff and I would add that Vergil has a just charge mechanic for his Judgment Cut as well. Not as instrumental to his game plan as Nero's Rev but it does increase his combo tempo by a lot (as displayed in that gif posted, those are just frame Judgment Cuts).

Top Bottom