• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

IrishNinja

thanks Seik!

My favorite console of all time. And yes, OP you need to play Shadowrun. It's awesome. I played it years later through emulation (no official release here in Germany) and was blown away by how much better it is compared to the already very good SNES game.

...damn. i tragically had to sell a lot've my old sega stuff years ago, still looking to replace but i never had that one - is it expensive/hard to come by? the gray area for just emulating here is a lot bigger for stuff that exists on compilations/other valid options, mind you.

As for lesser-known favourites, there's this game called Two Crude Dudes which I thought was pretty fun. The visuals and sound effects were hilarious, and I loved the fact that the main characters could pick up all sorts of objects, including enemies and partner, and simply throw them at other enemies.

oh wow, another rental i'dve totally forgotten about if you hadn't brought it up here, haha

O8rTLyu.gif

Cracking console, it was the first I'd ever owned, at the time I only had an Atari ST. Remember picking up Revenge of Shinobi with the console when my Dad took me to buy one at Toys 'r' Us; the pack-in game, Altered Beast, was kind of rubbish, so I tried that out first leaving the best till last, and as soon as I popped Revenge of Shinobi in and heard that crack of thunder and that music, I was sold; what an amazing game
and thank you C&VG magazine for the map for that last level
. I also started the trend in my school of melting down the two pieces of plastic that stopped import games from fitting into the console. I'd borrowed a converter off someone, but they'd taken it back, so in order to play ESWAT I modified my Megadrive and it snowballed from there.

In fact, remember ESWAT, great game but it committed the cardinal sin of being a console game with no continues, or at least the Japanese version did. I wonder if they fixed it at all for the PAL/US releases. I played my first JRPG, Sword of Vermillion, which started a long love affair with the genre, such an amazing soundtrack, though it's dated horribly.

iavi

First console I ever owned. Got the Model 2 that came with Sonic 2. Life changed.

Some of my particular faves on the system are games that, for most of them, I can't even remember the names of, but clearly remember almost everything else.

Lion King -- was this game actually hard, cause fuck it was hard then.

Mickey Mania-- the better mickey title on the genesis. Castle of illusion may get more play, but this was the gem. Funny fact: As a kid, I had a nightmare featuring this game after an almost all night session. Woke up and threw the game out my window. Never saw it again.

Power Rangers-- A 2D fighter. I just remember getting trolled by that sasuke ass black ranger, constantly.

Road Runners Desert Demolition--so, so many hours in this game. Its actually the one title I'm most interested in revisiting. This might have been my most played, outside of sonic.

Acme allstars--nba jam, but with Looney toon characters. Blew my mind.

I feel like this needs to be NSFW'd. Man, what is it with early-90's shmups and psychosexual imagery?

Everybody wanted to out-Giger H.R. Giger :p

Remember picking up Revenge of Shinobi

Revenge of Shinobi was the main reason why I bought a Genesis in the first place. It is still one of my favorite games on the platform. Shinobi III is awesome too and should not be overlooked, but I always liked the steeper challenge of Revenge.

Genesis had more high def than Nintendo even in da past!

Kinda true. The Genesis did output at a higher resolution a lot more commonly than than the SNES ever did. Though the highest resolution game on the Genesis (I believe) was Sonic 2's split screen two player mode, which ran at 320x442, which was essentially Sonic 2's native resolution stacked on top of each other.

Target Earth
M.E.R.C.S.
Castle of Illusion

Good times.

I tried to challenge my little brother at Herzog Zwei once. He'd basically hole up at his base and build up his defenses to the 50 unit limit and I was left trying to assault an impenetrable fortress.

No unit could make it within firing range of his base without dying and and air drop mission was suicide.

I'd have my revenge in General Chaos.

Some more recent games I've gotten for the Genesis that I've liked,

Phelios - a vertical mythology-based shooter from Namco
Contra: Hard Corps
Castle of Illusion
Sunset Riders
Dashin Desperadoes
Rocket Knight Adventures

Can anyone accurately give pros/cons on the genesis version of sparkster versus the SNES version?

As for lesser-known favourites, there's this game called Two Crude Dudes which I thought was pretty fun. The visuals and sound effects were hilarious, and I loved the fact that the main characters could pick up all sorts of objects, including enemies and partner, and simply throw them at other enemies.

there's a arcade port of this on Data East Arcade Classics for the Wii. fun game.

IrishNinja

damn, totally forgot about Sunset Riders...now i gotta hunt that one down too

In yurop land and Japan they had SCART connections that allowed for raw RGB connections to their televisions. If you get one these nifty cables you can convert it to a component signal using an external box.

aw maaan...how hard would this be with a US one, assuming it's an option?

Got a Genesis that winter of 92 with the recently released Sonic 2 when I was about 6. My dad had a choice between the SNES and Genesis and he made the right choice!

televator

damn, totally forgot about Sunset Riders...now i gotta hunt that one down too

aw maaan...how hard would this be with a US one, assuming it's an option?

It's definitely an option. It's not too complicated. The converter box (like the CSY 2100) and SCART cable are the 2 main things. The only thing that worries me is the fact that you have to make sure you get the Japanese Megadrive SCART cable which is kinda hard to distinguish from the European one on Ebay.

BTW, this can also be done with all sorts of old consoles including the Sega Saturn and SNES.

ThreeSixty

December 16, 2009. 4:00 AM. THE LIGHT FIELD is the force. The mind. That guides. Controls.
Just remembered. The Wonderboy series. Wonderboy in Monster World (released for the Master System and Genesis) is one of the most underrated and greatest side scrolling 16-bit adventures of all time (IMO). The sequel was only released in Japan but you can play it via an emulator. There's even a fan-created English translation out there.

If you've yet to play those two games and are a fan of the Genesis; play them now.

Just remembered. The Wonderboy series. Wonderboy in Monster World (released for the Master System and Genesis) is one of the most underrated and greatest side scrolling 16-bit adventures of all time (IMO). The sequel was only released in Japan but you can play it via an emulator. There's even a fan-created English translation out there.

If you've yet to play those two games and are a fan of the Genesis; play them now.

Indeed. Genesis ones are on XBLA and PSN, so there's no excuse not to try them!

boxartlg.jpg

Dragon's Trap is one of my favourite games of all time, pity it wasn't included.

jeremy1456

The Sega Genesis is a great console even now. I was a SNES kid growing up, and while I will always prefer that console I see now that the Genesis did in fact deserve to sit on the same tier as the big N that generation.

For some odd reason this is the one commercial that stands out to me this day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X7S-Bj3QnA

But I mean... even though I had only played a little Sonic 2 on the kiosks at stores I remember thinking that the audio capabilities were absolutely horrendous.

cacildo

Cracking console, it was the first I'd ever owned, at the time I only had an Atari ST. Remember picking up Revenge of Shinobi with the console when my Dad took me to buy one at Toys 'r' Us; the pack-in game, Altered Beast, was kind of rubbish, so I tried that out first leaving the best till last, and as soon as I popped Revenge of Shinobi in and heard that crack of thunder and that music, I was sold; what an amazing game
and thank you C&VG magazine for the map for that last level
. I also started the trend in my school of melting down the two pieces of plastic that stopped import games from fitting into the console. I'd borrowed a converter off someone, but they'd taken it back, so in order to play ESWAT I modified my Megadrive and it snowballed from there.

In fact, remember ESWAT, great game but it committed the cardinal sin of being a console game with no continues, or at least the Japanese version did. I wonder if they fixed it at all for the PAL/US releases. I played my first JRPG, Sword of Vermillion, which started a long love affair with the genre, such an amazing soundtrack, though it's dated horribly.

I aways found it funny when people remember how bad Altered Beast was.

It is a bad port, and an annoying game to start.

But when i was 8 and my cousins showed me the game and we said OH MY GOD IM A WOLF NOW with that huge transformation screen.... good god, that was the most amazing thing ive ever saw in my life

Maybe that´s the reason Altered Beast was the pack in game

jeremy1456

I aways found it funny when people remember how bad Altered Beast was.

It is a bad port, and an annoying game to start.

But when i was 8 and my cousins showed me the game and we said OH MY GOD IM A WOLF NOW with that huge transformation screen.... good god, that was the most amazing thing ive ever saw in my life

Maybe that´s the reason Altered Beast was the pack in game

I remember being around that age and seeing the game in the arcades.

I put in one quarter, and then felt bad for wasting my money. Then years later I tried the Genesis port, and I thought to myself "there's no way anyone ever thought this was a good game."

jeremy1456

I grew up playing MK2 on Genesis in Elementary School almost every morning. Not the best port at all but I am very attached to this port.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hyutrtDOf4

Then I played the SNES port for the first time about 3 years later, and I had a large case of wtfisthisshit.jpg

Sometimes people are attached to specific ports in a way that I can't tell if they are kidding or not, or if serious, or even which angle they are talking about. I assume you're calling the SNES version superior by giving you the benefit of the doubt.

SNES Mortal Kombat 2 makes the Genesis version look awful by comparison.

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
This is my Mega Drive collection, games on the right being from my youth and those on the left what I've bought from eBay and car boots over the last few years. Some of my favourites include Alien 3, Chiki Chiki Boys, Gynoug, Rocket Knight Adventures and the main Sonic series including S&K and Sonic 3D: Flickie's Island.

a9MAB.jpg

Just finished a golden axe arcade, 2 gen and 3 gen run with a friend while at work last night. From the M2 collection on Xbox. It was such a blast.

Despite being a "Nintendo" kid when young, my largest classic game collections are genesis and master system.

Dereck

Sometimes people are attached to specific ports in a way that I can't tell if they are kidding or not, or if serious, or even which angle they are talking about. I assume you're calling the SNES version superior by giving you the benefit of the doubt.
The SNES port of Mortal Kombat 2 has a better controller, better music and sound, graphics.

The Genesis version has worse music, and sound, but the port itself I am attached to, because of those sounds and music, repeated, over and over again over the years, it gets into my brain. It reminds me of a different time.

So yeah basically if I grew up playing the SNES port I would be nostalgically attached to that port instead.

Although the 32X port is the best port, even better than the Saturn and PSX port.

jeremy1456

The SNES port of Mortal Kombat 2 has a better controller, better music and sound, graphics.

The Genesis version has worse music, and sound, but the port itself I am attached to, because of those sounds and music, repeated, over and over again over the years, it gets into my brain. It reminds me of a different time.

So yeah basically if I grew up playing the SNES port I would be nostalgically attached to that port instead.

Although the 32X port is the best port, even better than the Saturn and PSX port.

Okay that's more than fair.

I have just one question - is the 32X version really the best port? I value audio more than graphics and actually have the 32X version sitting right here.

Dereck

Okay that's more than fair.

I have just one question - is the 32X version really the best port? I value audio more than graphics and actually have the 32X version sitting right here.
It's very close, the Sega Saturn and PSX's sound are stupendous, but the Saturn version for some reason the announcer does not announce the character's name if you win or at the character selection screen. The load times are terrible too.

32X's sound is worse but it is the closest to the arcade port besides that. It's really just a personal toss up between Saturn, 32X, and PSX if you ignore the load times.

jeremy1456

It's very close, the Sega Saturn and PSX's sound are stupendous, but the Saturn version for some reason the announcer does not announce the character's name if you win or at the character selection screen. The load times are terrible too.

32X's sound is worse but it is the closest to the arcade port besides that. It's really just a personal toss up between Saturn, 32X, and PSX if you ignore the load times.

I forgot to mention - which has the most frames of animation? That does affect gameplay.

IrishNinja

So I run a tumblr called Old Game Mags which goes through a BUNCH of old game mags. Growing up I had a Megadrive, so some of those were my favourites. Here's a couple of the ads I've posted on there:

my god, so many feels
i swear i bookmark your page everytime you post it! love stuff like this.

IrishNinja

look at those covers!
i was so content with the US Phantasy Stars, SORs and such, but those are just so much better...i mean, ESWAT and Strider are huge improvements, and Alex Kidd there is adorable

Suairyu

Banned
Anyone have a particular fondness for the metallic "mega drive" look games had for the first year of its life? I think the original Sonic was the last game I remembered having anything of that artstyle, before bright colours and a more Nintendo aesthetic became prevalent. The metallic made everything seem dark and 'mature' (as in, "for big kids") back in the day

Yes. If you knew how to program to its strengths, the Genesis was capable of producing music of a much higher quality than the SNES, which these days sounds so tinny to my ears. SOR, on the other hand, is so crisp that you could listen to it as straight music.

Harlock

QuackShot still has amazing graphics. I remember people talking "hey, this look like a real cartoon" back in the 90s.

MDImagemQuackshot_2.gif

Ah, one of my absolute favorite consoles of all time. So many great games. This picture is a few months old, but here's most of my collection:

I think only Shadow Dancer and QuackShot are missing from the picture, but I'm not sure. I keep buying more and more Genesis games randomly nowadays, as keep seeing a bunch show up at some local shops and flea markets, so I might be forgetting something.

The loose games were ones I got from friends/family, and Star Wars Arcade came with my 32X.

And here's my Sega CD games (I think only SoulStar is missing from the pic):

I also have the Sega Genesis Collection on the PlayStation 2, and Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection on the PlayStation 3, though neither compare to playing the real thing.

Great collection by the way, Fox.

I have the Saturn version, and it also loads certain special moves mid-match the first time they're used, and is overall missing a lot of voice and sound clips. Sometimes they'll also show up and sometimes they won't.

whoah, a blue game gear! never saw that thing in the wild.

That blue Game Gear was packaged with The Lion King (as shown in that commercial):

48E3E99F-D184-4691-A872-BD03F6CF5E30-31897-0000252F514E168F.jpg

I've never seen one any where myself either, I guess they had a pretty limited run.

The same coloured model was also sold in japan and packaged with a copy of Magic Knight Rayearth or something like that.

antun

Sorry for the shitty quality of the picture. I canot afford a real camera cause I buy too many mega drive games.

:D

tborsje

Wonderboy in Monster World was awesome! I replayed it on my Xperia Play with an emulator last year and it's still fun too (major nostalgia glasses of course).

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Cracking console, it was the first I'd ever owned, at the time I only had an Atari ST.

Same here bro.

I got my Atari ST (Discovery Pack) when I was 4, and my Mega Drive when I was 11. It was in the tail end of the Mega Drive's life when I got it, but The Lost World: Jurassic Park amazed the fuck out of me. That and Streets of Rage 2, Sonic 1 & 2, and the FIFA games of course.

Genesis in my life was all about shooters.

Some of me the best still in it and my father still play nowdays.

Truxtor
Burning force
TwinTiger Cobra
Ultimate Qix
R-Types

Good memories, good times.

Dereck

I have the Saturn version, and it also loads certain special moves mid-match the first time they're used, and is overall missing a lot of voice and sound clips. Sometimes they'll also show up and sometimes they won't.
Playing with or against Shang Tsung is hell since the game loads every character he changes into.

Top Bottom