• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata Asks: Wii Street U (Iwata in a jetpack camera wand thing)

It's bizarre, but when I first showed off my Wii U to a friend, their very first comment was "Can you get Google Earth on it?"

Yeah! I wish this was more Google Earth than just Street View :(
that would have been amazing... but the only difference is Earth zooms out more while street view is zoomed in to street level.

We have seen Nintendo use Google in the past but never this much.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
yes everyone knows this is google tech. The Japanese Google guy is sitting down with Iwata to answer questions.

the Gamepad being able to move around the Street View and Navigating are the only differences I see. Except maybe some Nintendo Exclusive stuff like Nintendo HQ tours or something

You mean when they pan the view around by moving the gamepad? My phone does that too (and more accurately I'd imagine, since it has both a gyro and a compass). The one difference I see is that you seem to be getting the corresponding map view on the TV while you're in street view on the gamepad, and that's obviously not possible with just a phone.

But yeah, if this has some Nintendo-exlusive stuff or minigames or whatever, it could be fun for sure.

MisterHero

Wii Street might look a little archaic but I'm excited for the interactive elements

iwata-freewheelingi6kke.gif

ozfunghi

Somebody photoshop the deathstar on there...

Nintendo have lost it... big time.

It's like the period just before an old guy turns senile, you know it's the same person... but the change in behavior is frightening.

Tssss... what do you know, popeye? Ehag-ehag-ehag...

-Cwalat-

It's like the period just before an old guy turns senile, you know it's the same person... but the change in behavior is frightening.

yes everyone knows this is google tech. The Japanese Google guy is sitting down with Iwata to answer questions.

the Gamepad being able to move around the Street View and Navigating are the only differences I see. Except maybe some Nintendo Exclusive stuff like Nintendo HQ tours or something
Hahahahaha
Nintendo would never do something like that. Unless it was just like the front desk or something

You mean when they pan the view around by moving the gamepad? My phone does that too (and more accurately I'd imagine, since it has both a gyro and a compass). The one difference I see is that you seem to be getting the corresponding map view on the TV while you're in street view on the gamepad, and that's obviously not possible with just a phone.

But yeah, if this has some Nintendo-exlusive stuff or minigames or whatever, it could be fun for sure.

So exactly the same

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

Gamers really have no sense of humor left, lol.

I am certain this is the only thing Iwata does all day.

Yes your TV screen plus Gamepad work together

Still I think you underestimate the tech inside the Gamepad to do this stuff. There was a company that came out saying that it has a 9 axis tech

"The geomagnetic sensor in the device has a 15 times higher resolution than those found in cell phones" source

I think this is why Nintendo is trying this... basicly a Free App and Panorama View

MYE

Because they are bringing a map/panorama view app to the system?

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
The photoshops have pleased me. I guess this was an "interesting" announcement.

EDIT: Oh wait that very interesting announcement is for tomorrow.

boyshine

GamePad has that too. It's extremely accurate and responsive, best motion detecting device I've tried. The only thing missing IMO is a back facing camera to detect position and size/distance to the TV. With that they could've done some truly amazing "virtual window"/AR stuff.

strobogo

Banned
I'm sure it will lead to some kind of game where you play in whatever area you walked around in. Which, in theory, is something I think everyone dreamed about as kids. In practice, it will probably be a zapper game.

Hahahahaha
Nintendo would never do something like that. Unless it was just like the front desk or something

No Iwata hinted at this already in a Nintendo Direct showing this Stuff before.

I'll have to finde the videos but Reggie also showed the NOA HQ parking lot using this stuff.
With the backpack trekker and he already has one with him in this photo it would not be so hard for them to give you Nintendo HQ tours. They just have to cover up projects they are working on or edit computer screens out of the shots taken. Just like Google removers or blur faces and car plates.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
because they're wasting resources on a game game feature that NOBODY asked for.

Do fans need to ask for things in order for a company to make something?

They probably have confidence in its functionality. I don't see how you could honestly be complaining about this. Where would you have placed these resources? They probably could have made another mini-game for Nintendo Land with them... maybe.

Top Bottom