• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shoot the Core! - Gaf Shoot ‘em Up (aka Shooter/SHMUP) Reference Thread

Freeman76

The game feels too slow, the mission-based progression is kind of boring and the music is quite forgettable. I still finished the game on my Vita but I thought it was pretty average.

All those things I thought were great. Horses for courses, wouldnt be GAF without someone pissing on the campfire though.

SOME-MIST

still been working on raiden v

went with a friend's strategy and started sticking with catch laser which is pretty op.

still struggling to get past stage 4 on normal mode since stage 3 leaves me in pretty bad shape, so I've been trying to figure out how to get the most out of the bonus stage before stage 4.

I wish I had a working PS4 stick since I'm stuck using a controller, but currently ranked 30 overall but I'm sitting at #4 on stage 2-A ;)

Intel_89

All those things I thought were great. Horses for courses, wouldnt be GAF without someone pissing on the campfire though.

Not so much pissing on the campfire as having a different opinion. I simply stated mine after reading yours, that's all. I apologize if I came across as being douchy, now that I read what I wrote it does make it seem like I was pissing on your parade but that wasn't my intention.

shaowebb

Touhou Genso Rondo is now 90% off for $2.99 on NISA Sony Playstation Store Sale!
This is a Senko No Ronde style 2 vs shmup and its very fun. Anyone with a PS4 should jump on this.

Link

gunstarhero

Touhou Genso Rondo is now 90% off for $2.99 on NISA Sony Playstation Store Sale!
This is a Senko No Ronde style 2 vs shmup and its very fun. Anyone with a PS4 should jump on this.

Link

How does it compare to Senko no Ronde 2? Was about to bite on that one after playing the demo...

Dazzyman

Just got an email to say they can't source Raiden V on ps4 on amazonuk so ordered a USA copy. Sick of waiting. Already have it on xbox and love it

SOME-MIST

Sorcer Striker is out next week (Nov 2nd) on PS4 in Japan http://www.4gamer.net/games/389/G038988/20171027005/
Dont know much about this one myself but it looks fun! Any experts care to share what makes it special?

non-expert opinion but it's the start of the mahou daisakusen series
which led to kingdom grandprix and the fantastic but underrated great mahou daisakusen (dimahoo). you'll also notice overlap with some bosses and characters that fall into the bat trilogy with armed police batrider and the bonus characters of battle garegga.

First time it's being ported to consoles. Much simpler than dimahoo, but great characters from the series with a charming medieval style.

It's one I'm really looking forward to (I'm hoping to spend enough time with it to get to the 2nd loop), especially if it leads to a dimahoo port.

Dazzyman

Just bought the M2 dimahoo style shmup from jpn psn store. Also finally picked up Salamander at same time.

Great game and I highly recommend this. It's worth buying now than waiting that's for sure!

fatty

Any recent games similar to Gradius or Super Aleste (Space Mega Force) that you guys could recommend? I like the slower paced shooters where you slowly power up your ship. There are so many bullet hell type games available so just looking for some that will fill my nostalgia bug. Even ones similar to Axelay or Ikaruga would be nice.

j^aws

Any recent games similar to Gradius or Super Aleste (Space Mega Force) that you guys could recommend? I like the slower paced shooters where you slowly power up your ship. There are so many bullet hell type games available so just looking for some that will fill my nostalgia bug. Even ones similar to Axelay or Ikaruga would be nice.

I never found any modern equivalents of Gradius or Super Aleste, but Strania is a vertical shoot-em-up that gives me some vibes to Super Aleste. And Sine Mora Ex is a horizontal shoot-em-up with powerups, environmental hazards and shoot-the-core bosses that may fill the Gradius itch.

dogen

Super Hydorah is sorta similar to gradius.

Top Bottom