• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT9| People still play this? Isn't it from 2004

Fjordson

Well on the bright side you got one of the worst out of the way. Only way is up now, lol.

But it's unfortunate that it takes a few weeks or longer for the next to drop. They really should have implemented some sort of trade-in system.
True.

Silver lining is that it was from Blistermaw and he also dropped the Crimson Slavermaw mount.

TheYanger

KJ's is a great first leggo to get, it's a decent pick for basically every class, and it's in a slot where you're unlikely to have a good item (2 of them, in fact) for a while. Like, no it's not top tier for anyone at all, but it probably beats 75% of them for most classes.

Mehhh Argus sucks so much!

I wish they would just create another Timeless Isle:

- easy to travel
- small
- actual rare rares with a spawntimer of 45 minutes
- weekly bosses
- an item that lets you kill people in your own faction, because all servers have completely screwed horde/alliance ratios <- this really brought back oldschool world pvp, it was awesome
- Rares that drop mounts, so people keep coming there (people still go to TI for Huolon)
- fun TI specific items like a superfast mount, swimming helmet and so on
- good place to gear up alts
- beautiful environment instead of all this dark green legion crap

Timeless Isle had it all, that place was packed all of MoP and even in WoD.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
For some reason, the game decided to stop giving me missions or those 12 hours RNG boxes with items to upgrade followers to 900 or to get 10 ilvls, so I'm stuck with one guy at 890 for nearly a week.

What gives? Is there no way to purchase that without relying on RNG?

erawsd

Mehhh Argus sucks so much!

I wish they would just create another Timeless Isle:

- easy to travel
- small
- actual rare rares with a spawntimer of 45 minutes
- weekly bosses
- an item that lets you kill people in your own faction, because all servers have completely screwed horde/alliance ratios <- this really brought back oldschool world pvp, it was awesome
- Rares that drop mounts, so people keep coming there (people still go to TI for Huolon)
- fun TI specific items like a superfast mount, swimming helmet and so on
- good place to gear up alts

Timeless Isle had it all, that place was packed all of MoP and even in WoD.

Except for Easy Travel and the pvp item (which already exists in this expac), Argus pretty much has all of that.

erawsd

Nahhh.

What item do you mean? And Argus isn't small, it has 3 big zones.

The individual zones are small though, especially the first two and a lot of the quests are basically on top of one another. Collectively, its not as small as TI but it doesnt feel large to me either since theres alot of outskirt areas that arent worth traveling into unless you are farming treasures.

There was a Harpy faction added back in 7.1 or 7.2 that gives you an item to kill your own faction, it only worked in certain areas so I doubt it'd work on Argus. Probably wouldn't make sense to have something like that on Argus considering why we're there.

Bisnic

Not sure exactly how a small map is a +. People would complain how there is little to do if Argus was only Krokuun for example.

But...
There is plenty of rares with drops such as pets, toys & mounts
Good place to gear alts thanks to the BOA 880 items or the WQs.
Weekly bosses in the invasions + the invasions themselves are a nice novelty that TI didn't have.
There is some unique items like http://www.wowhead.com/item=153123/cracked-radinax-control-gem or http://www.wowhead.com/item=153189/shattered-lightsword, plus all the buffs scattered around the zones if you want to count those since the swimming helmets were basically just a buff...

I lost so much gold by hoarding my Obliterum because every video I saw people were saying "Obliterum prices are going up!!!!!!".

The prices crashed and burned. Even Primal Obliterum is barely above Obliterum now, and even that is lower than the Oblit price 1 week before 7.3.

Fucking hell.

I lost so much gold by hoarding my Obliterum because every video I saw people were saying "Obliterum prices are going up!!!!!!".

The prices crashed and burned. Even Primal Obliterum is barely above Obliterum now, and even that is lower than the Oblit price 1 week before 7.3.

Fucking hell.

I dunno who you were listening to, but there was no reason to believe that obliterum prices would go up in 7.3. Primal obliterum crafted pieces take valuable tier slots. Regular crafted pieces didn't increase in iLvl cap.

And epic gems can be obliterated into ~66 ash on average, a rather cheap (after the initial boom on day 1) and efficient way of obtaining obliterum, discounting any other methods. That's for both cut and uncut epic gems too. Especially given that the epic gems don't require primal sargerite to cut (probably a design mistake IMO).

I dunno who you were listening to, but there was no reason to believe that obliterum prices would go up in 7.3. Primal obliterum crafted pieces take valuable tier slots. Regular crafted pieces didn't increase in iLvl cap.

And epic gems can be obliterated into ~66 ash on average, a rather cheap (after the initial boom on day 1) and efficient way of obtaining obliterum, discounting any other methods. That's for both cut and uncut epic gems too. Especially given that the epic gems don't require primal sargerite to cut (probably a design mistake IMO).

There were early calls during PTR that you could upgrade to 935 even old recipes.

There were early calls during PTR that you could upgrade to 935 even old recipes.

Perhaps earlier on in the PTR cycle it was speculated, but unless you decided to hedge a bet and invest very early (generally a bad move as PTR stuff is always subject to change), there's no good reason to not have been in the know at least a week or two out from the patch dropping, at which point things are mostly set.

There can always be surprises/undocumented changes of course.

And again, just be careful what information sources you digest. MMO-Champion/Wowhead will always have factual database change notes. Youtube videos/forum posts/etc. are just going to be interpretations of those changes which may or may not be correct. Also if possible, testing things on the PTR yourself is usually the best course of action.

----

They kinda fucked crafting in this patch though. Main offenders in my eyes are epic gems too cheap (material/effort-wise) in comparison to rare ones and primal sargerite being close to useless. Hopefully 7.3.5 brings a primal sargerite trader and/or something more worthwhile.

Crafting/profession design has been really disjointed the past couple of expansions though. Never seems to be fully baked - I'm not sure who or how many people have been leading that aspect of the game, but it definitely seems like an afterthought most of the time, which really shouldn't be the case. I'm not saying it has to be at the forefront, but subpar design with seemingly little thought into how the economics will play out has been the standard since Warlords.

Fucking hell.

I warned people on my server not to do this. They didn't listen, even when explaining why Oblit wasn't going to be up much and why Primal Oblit wasn't going to be as big of a factor. There was barely even a spike in price on my server.

A few people threw a bunch of gold down the toilet.

Bisnic

I really hate what they did to JC in this expansion. I'm not sure who had the "bright" idea to make this so...weird...with this whole gem chips crap, when it was just fine in the past, but seriously...it's such a pain that i rather just buy my gems on the AH at this point.

Blacksmithing actually seemed useful and easy to train up on my first Legion main. The 840-ish gear would be pointless now, but it was good at the time. I imagine leatherworking would have also been useful in that same way? Alchemy, jewelcrafting, and tailoring seem to suck so far, and why the hell do I even have inscription on this guy?

I guess gathering is OK? I don't think the ranks are needed, but I guess it's not too much of a PITA. I don't mind doing dungeons for quests and fun, but it also seems pointless to attach so many profession unlocks to group content, and going into the sewers for the millionth time. I mean I just did a dungeon, then a profession quest wants me to go back into the same one I did. Zzzzzzzz

significant nerfs to KJ

KJ and reflecrions hp reduced by 5% on all difficulties

Maximum distance from the center of the platform that Armageddon can spawn has been reduced on all difficulties

The radius of the explosion from Bursting Dreadflames has been reduced on all difficulties

Chaotic Eruption damage and knockup reduced on mythic

Bisnic

I'm hoping we'll unlock more WQs in Macree this week. Only having between 0 or 2 a day last week seemed a bit low.

Blacksmithing actually seemed useful and easy to train up on my first Legion main. The 840-ish gear would be pointless now, but it was good at the time. I imagine leatherworking would have also been useful in that same way? Alchemy, jewelcrafting, and tailoring seem to suck so far, and why the hell do I even have inscription on this guy?

I guess gathering is OK? I don't think the ranks are needed, but I guess it's not too much of a PITA. I don't mind doing dungeons for quests and fun, but it also seems pointless to attach so many profession unlocks to group content, and going into the sewers for the millionth time. I mean I just did a dungeon, then a profession quest wants me to go back into the same one I did. Zzzzzzzz

Before Felwort Rank 3 and Aethril Rank 3 were nerfed, they were actually some of the most meaningful rank 3s in the game. They gutted both of them so they are less of a big deal now, but getting access to seeds and extra nodes was absolutely massive last fall.

Shahadan

$

Playing my never used affliction warlock alt. Jesus Christ this feels like cheating. He does more dmg, faster at ilvl 865 with only artifact lvl 48 than my Moonkin who is ilvl 925 with 60 artifact lvls. And to top it off, the little bastard is nigh indestructible.

It almost makes me mad how cake this class is. I'm glad I made one!!!!

The profession rank thing is kinda cool, and the gem chip mechanic doesn't bother me: adds some minor depth (do I mass prospect to save time, or gem chip weave to maximize potential profit?)

It's really more other aspects of professions, like uninspired recipes/material requirements, boring upgrade system (e.g. Obliterum) dominating over actual new recipes, lack of ability to be creative/value-add, etc.

Now I'm not gonna design a whole new set of systems from the ground up in this post, but I certainly do have a lot of ideas/criticisms for how things could be better.

If I ever worked on Warcraft as a game designer (maybe something that could become a reality?), profession evolution would be one of the things I'd like to influence for sure. There's so much room for improvement in my eyes.

And I'd certainly think about adding a new profession too (if not completely redesigning existing ones). It's been too long with the last one added being Archaeology in Cataclysm as a secondary, and Inscription being added in Wrath. Both as of now are kind of design failures compared to all the others (well, First Aid I guess too.)

I saw quite a few Youtube videos, even a Method one with over 200k views.

I warned people on my server not to do this. They didn't listen, even when explaining why Oblit wasn't going to be up much and why Primal Oblit wasn't going to be as big of a factor. There was barely even a spike in price on my server.

A few people threw a bunch of gold down the toilet.

Problem isn't that the price didn't go up, it's that it went down super quickly. AND a few days before 7.3 the prices skyrocketed, I guess from people mass-buying the ones at the AH. I could've made like 300k gold when the prices went up, but of course I held my shit. At least the mats for my Obliterum-farming are cheaper now.

trembli0s

Resubbed for the first time since I stopped playing in Wrath.

Holy shit everything feels so different. At least my affliction Warlock seems incredibly tanky. Any useful guides I should start reading?

Are any professions particularly useful for dungeons/raiding like they were in the old days?

cdyhybrid

Resubbed for the first time since I stopped playing in Wrath.

Holy shit everything feels so different. At least my affliction Warlock seems incredibly Tammy. Any useful guides I should start reading?

Are any professions particularly useful for dungeons/raiding like they were in the old days?
http://lockonestopshop.com

Most useful one for raiding is probably Alch so you can make your own pots/flasks, but otherwise you can pick whatever.

Panthers

Was it really though? Gotta have been so many useless shit-tier quests to wade through to get to the good ones.

A lot of the Cata revamp quests are pretty good. You get to see some significant lore stuff that wasn't there in Vanilla. Silverpine, Bad Lands, and Western Plaugelands were a few I liked.

Fjordson

Does anyone have Meatball as an order hall champion? Kinda stuck on what to do next.

Looking at Wowhead, the next step is supposed to be an order hall mission but it hasn't popped up in almost two days now. I've tried doing more brawls, but nothing seems to be kickstarting it.

Does anyone have Meatball as an order hall champion? Kinda stuck on what to do next.

Looking at Wowhead, the next step is supposed to be an order hall mission but it hasn't popped up in almost two days now. I've tried doing more brawls, but nothing seems to be kickstarting it.
I just acquired Meatball two weeks ago on my hunter. What I did was just wait for the order hall missions to pop. There's not much you can do on your end to make them show up.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
The profession rank thing is kinda cool, and the gem chip mechanic doesn't bother me: adds some minor depth (do I mass prospect to save time, or gem chip weave to maximize potential profit?)

It's really more other aspects of professions, like uninspired recipes/material requirements, boring upgrade system (e.g. Obliterum) dominating over actual new recipes, lack of ability to be creative/value-add, etc.

Now I'm not gonna design a whole new set of systems from the ground up in this post, but I certainly do have a lot of ideas/criticisms for how things could be better.

If I ever worked on Warcraft as a game designer (maybe something that could become a reality?), profession evolution would be one of the things I'd like to influence for sure. There's so much room for improvement in my eyes.

And I'd certainly think about adding a new profession too (if not completely redesigning existing ones). It's been too long with the last one added being Archaeology in Cataclysm as a secondary, and Inscription being added in Wrath. Both as of now are kind of design failures compared to all the others (well, First Aid I guess too.)

Professions have a lot to improve on I agree. Archaeology is awful, always has been.

If they make crafting more gameplay based like a lot of those survival games it'd be more impactful. But it might be more annoying in the confines of the game. They always treat them as secondary/optional.

They need to let you learn all professions I think, but have a very high cost barrier so you're only a going to be a master in one or two

TheYanger

Hey the netherlight crucible is still, a terrible idea, great.

Literally just sitting here sifting through 10+ relics in my bags trying to figure out which ones are even remotely usable.

Magnus

I maintain that an AWESOME new class to debut next would be an Engineer/Tinker of some kind. Really different conceptually, with two different modes of play (in and out of a mech suit/robot, which changes appearance according to your gear). It's such a rich area of themes and designs to mine for character design that it would be wasted if limited to a profession.

There's good thematic design space to make it a true hybrid (tank, dps and healer) and the two-mode gameplay design would work very similarly to Voidform (buildup in power to a new form, the mech suit). It's a blast to jump into a robotic vehicle in WoW, like the new golden things on Argus. Same shit here.

Would be great for humans, dwarves, gnomes Alliance side, and Undead, Blood elves and goblins horde side.

EmiPrime

Hey the netherlight crucible is still, a terrible idea, great.

Literally just sitting here sifting through 10+ relics in my bags trying to figure out which ones are even remotely usable.

Everything about the relic system has been a mess. Glad to hear I have more of its nonsense to contend with tomorrow when EU gets the crucible. /s

Fjordson

I just acquired Meatball two weeks ago on my hunter. What I did was just wait for the order hall missions to pop. There's not much you can do on your end to make them show up.
Damn, alright.

Yeah Wowhead comments say "just do another brawl" but that hasn't worked so guess I just have to wait.

Gear crafting professions in Legion are odd because Legion professions in general are clearly designed to be more of an end-game activity, since that's when you'll eventually have every recipe up to 3 stars (best gathering, most efficient crafts), but the value of the gear crafting professions seems extremely limited. There's a brief window while leveling up in PVE that you can craft yourself some decent stop-gap gear if you know which zones your initial profession quests will occur in and later you can back-fill some slots with 900 ilvl crafted gear while gearing up to and maybe past Nighthold. With my tailor I would rather just invest my crafting resources into bags since they're easier/cheaper to craft and always move at a rapid clip. For the most part the greatest value in crafted gear is largely in transmog appearances with some gimmicks (like Barding) to keep them sort of relevant in Legion content.

So as soon as you unlock the crucible (just did), there is no downside to grabbing the first tier on all your relics, on all characters, right? I don't even have concordance high enough for tier 2, so I'm not worried about that right now.

So as soon as you unlock the crucible (just did), there is no downside to grabbing the first tier on all your relics, on all characters, right? I don't even have concordance high enough for tier 2, so I'm not worried about that right now.
Not that I can see. I thought there would be some sort of limitations placed on it each week that opened up. Seems like it's just based on Artifact Level and what slot each relic was placed into.
I got Palpatine vibes from him.
I thought the exact same. I feel like we're going down an Anakin path with Alleria.

Fjordson

I haven't really paid much attention to the Netherlight Crucible stuff and it's still confusing even after reading about it on Wowhead lol

Top Bottom