• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final build of Sonic Xtreme found, leaking as we speak

Borman

"Oh, by the way, here's a super-polished prototype we had no idea existed."

That's really cool. It looks like POV was on to something, actually. Camera's still too tight in, though.

It seems they were still a bit limited by trying to salvage assets from STI, including textures and levels. I would imagine that it would have been trivial for them to change it as their vision took shape.

Lijik

A previously unknown and unseen build of Sonic Xtreme for the Saturn will be released shortly!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIhckKWN5ZU

7dJQskO.jpg

man this is just super wild

Wow. Didn't expect anything more after the previous bombshell. It almost deserves its own thread.

Let's hope for some pro retro dataminers to show up.

Borman

You have to undestand, we're working (or Jollyroger to be more accurate, I just do videos and other help) from the source files. Datamining isn't really going to reveal a bombshell based on the compiled builds. There aren't additional level files hiding, not that the game couldn't foreseeably be built with other levels.

More interesting is datamining a bit more on the original leaked Project Condor build (and Ill be clear again, it wasn't Nights!). That wasn't built from source.

You have to undestand, we're working (or Jollyroger to be more accurate, I just do videos and other help) from the source files. Datamining isn't really going to reveal a bombshell based on the compiled builds. There aren't additional level files hiding, not that the game couldn't foreseeably be built with other levels.

More interesting is datamining a bit more on the original leaked Project Condor build (and Ill be clear again, it wasn't Nights!). That wasn't built from source.

Fine enough, it's still a great find.

Borman

Looks like crap... sweet, delicious crap.

I probably would've loved to play it back in the day though if the level design were good. I'm glad people are documenting this. Thanks to all those involved.

At the very least, the engine seems capable of producing something awesome.

Rarijack

Banned
Wow, I have always wanted to play that. One thing I never understood was Bernie Stolar using the game engine without YN permission. Or even how it was obtained without making sure if it's okay to use in the first place. Sure BS would've checked with the heads at SEGA that it was okay to use.

It certainly VERY petty for YN to get all POed about them using his engine though, like seriously, what's the problem?

Well, there's obviously the Black Market, which made it into the GC version and beyond, although some other Chao-related settings may not have made it. There were World Rankings ala Sonic Adventure 1, and a lengthy cutscene involving the President and Secretary. (In fact, the Sonic X anime makes direct references to scenes that we later found out were supposed to be in SA2, so they must have been working with a development script instead of the final draft). Eggman also spelled out their temporary alliance in no uncertain terms, claiming he would use his own power to take over the world. And Super Sonic and Super Shadow were going to be available in 2P Mode, being super-fast but dying if they ran out of rings.

Then there's the less blatant stuff, like seeing Sonic in shots for Sky Rail, lending credence to the rumor that the game was originally just about Sonic, Knuckles and Eggman being playable. But they also tried to keep Shadow and Rouge ("Nails" possibly) a secret for as long as they could, so maybe Sonic was just there since he was compatible with the stage mechanics. There was a branching pathway system to the levels planned, including an "escape the submarine" scenario described, although the branching pathways didn't really appear until Shadow The Hedgehog. Which also referenced the President again, who made specific references to Sonic Adventure 2 (photo scene, although it doesn't make a ton of sense why he has it, unless it was post-Heroes).

Shadow himself has a few little details too, like how he was originally named "Terios", and there might have been fights over this name being used, but I can't locate a source for that. There was also something weird going on with Shadow's eye in the Dark Side Story Preview:

Could just be a rendering bug (you can see through Eggman's neck in the shot right beforehand, I think that's the case in the final game too), but I often wondered if Shadow was supposed to betray more of his "artificial" side.

So, there's a few things.
Sorry for bringing up such an old post. Do you remember where the whole "escape the submarine" thing came from?

balohna

Interesting that there isn't at least one good level to prove out the gameplay ideas. Seems like something you'd want to have.

But then, it was the 90's and it was Sega.

Qwark

I've been out of the loop for a bit, is there still just the three builds? The builds I'm aware of are the first one with the 5 minute timer and you just run around a rectangle and collect rings, the 040 build where you can jump up repeatedly into different cube formations, and the POV build that looks like Green Hill Zone and has a non-functioning level editor. Is that all of them, and is there likely to be any more discoveries or is that about all there is? Very interesting stuff so far.

Sorry for bumping such an old post.

I've been out of the loop for a bit, is there still just the three builds? The builds I'm aware of are the first one with the 5 minute timer and you just run around a rectangle and collect rings, the 040 build where you can jump up repeatedly into different cube formations, and the POV build that looks like Green Hill Zone and has a non-functioning level editor. Is that all of them, and is there likely to be any more discoveries or is that about all there is? Very interesting stuff so far.

Sorry for bumping such an old post.

Well, I mean, there's probably a nearly-infinite number of builds, but there's probably only four engines.

Engine 1 was the NiGHTS engine, before Yuji Naka threw a temper tantrum and threatened to quit Sega and took it away from them.

Engine 2 and Engine 3 were developed along side one another simultaneously. Engine 2 was by Ofer Alon and was for general levels, Engine 3 was developed I think by Christina Coffin and was for boss arenas. After seeing Engine 3 running at 60fps, Sega of Japan reps told Sega Technical Institute to build the entire game using that, not really considering Engine 3 ran so smoothly because it was only rendering an empty boss arena. Engine 2 is now the most infamous, as it lived on after Sonic X-treme's cancellation. Ofer and Chris Senn continued to work on Engine 2 to pitch the game to Sega's PC division and were rejected. Because of this, Engine 2 is also the the closest Sonic X-treme ever was to an actual "game."

Engine 4 would be this POV stuff, which was an adaptation of Engine 2/3.

We have the NiGHTS and POV builds, but the real motherlode has yet to be struck (Engine 2)

Qwark

I see. What I meant was 3 publicly released builds, though I see now there's a level editor build (037) for PC that I missed. I knew the POV demo was a different engine, but I didn't know the other stuff going on. Thanks for the background.

So do people still have things to dig through? Or are we just at a dead end now, waiting for the day somebody happens to find an old Sega dev machine? Senn has been very helpful providing things to the community, right?

Well, I mean, there's probably a nearly-infinite number of builds, but there's probably only four engines.

Engine 1 was the NiGHTS engine, before Yuji Naka threw a temper tantrum and threatened to quit Sega and took it away from them.

Engine 2 and Engine 3 were developed along side one another simultaneously. Engine 2 was by Ofer Alon and was for general levels, Engine 3 was developed I think by Christina Coffin and was for boss arenas. After seeing Engine 3 running at 60fps, Sega of Japan reps told Sega Technical Institute to build the entire game using that, not really considering Engine 3 ran so smoothly because it was only rendering an empty boss arena. Engine 2 is now the most infamous, as it lived on after Sonic X-treme's cancellation. Ofer and Chris Senn continued to work on Engine 2 to pitch the game to Sega's PC division and were rejected. Because of this, Engine 2 is also the the closest Sonic X-treme ever was to an actual "game."

Engine 4 would be this POV stuff, which was an adaptation of Engine 2/3.

We have the NiGHTS and POV builds, but the real motherlode has yet to be struck (Engine 2)
No, the NiGHTS engine wasn't the original engine. Chris Senn has been quite clear about that, their original engines (what you call "2" and "3") came first. They only tried switching over to the NiGHTS engine in the aftermath of the Sega of Japan-is-dumb incident which killed engine 2, while they were looking for something to replace it with. The NiGHTS engine lost them two weeks of development time (http://lostlevels.org/200403/200403-xtreme.shtml) but they'd have never had to try it in the first place if SoJ hadn't doomed the game already by forcing them to abandon their main engine, Alon's.

No, the NiGHTS engine wasn't the original engine.C hris Senn has been quite clear about that, their original engines (what you call "2" and "3") came first. They only tried switching over to the NiGHTS engine in the aftermath of the Sega of Japan-is-dumb incident which killed engine 2, while they were looking for something to replace it with. The NiGHTS engine lost them two weeks of development time (http://lostlevels.org/200403/200403-xtreme.shtml) but they'd have never had to try it in the first place if SoJ hadn't doomed the game already by forcing them to abandon their main engine, Alon's.

I see. Thanks for the clarification.

marmoka

Banned
Imagine this game becomes even better than other games released in the last 2 decades. that would be quite funny, and disappointing at the same time

Honestly this looks like it could have been a much better game than sonic adventure and a way more logical transition to 3D for the franchise

Sami+

Honestly this looks like it could have been a much better game than sonic adventure and a way more logical transition to 3D for the franchise

To be honest I think Sonic Adventure was a pretty natural evolution of the design decisions that made Sonic 3 & Knuckles unique from its predecessors. A more cinematic, narrative focused structure, larger and more vertical level design, more playable characters, more world-building, etc. It's problem was more that t got hitched by a really rushed development and the tech limitations of 1998.

Not to excuse it, it hasn't aged well at all and despite loving it, I do think it's a hard game to recommend. But I don't think it's as illogical a transition from Sonic 3 as you're suggesting. Most of its core design decisions arguably have their roots in Sonic 3.

While this prototype is a fascinating marvel of what could have been, there is no way this would have even touched the quality of SA, which remains the most faithful 3D adaptation to date. SX almost looks like it was leapfrogging into the automated on-rails 3D Sonic we're stuck with today, with clumsier controls and an incomprehensible stage layout straight out of the Sonic CD book of level design to boot. No thanks.

Romulus

Not relevant at all to this thread title and as someone who follows this game's development, it was a letdown to see that there wasn't more news related to a build of the game.

That video belongs in the dreams thread.

Fair enough, but I wasn't sure how to alert fans of the game in the Dreams thread. I just don't imagine many of them going there and never finding out.

But how do you still follow the development? There hasn't been a post here in 5 years. Its still going on?

Last edited:

ryan13ts

Not relevant at all to this thread title and as someone who follows this game's development, it was a letdown to see that there wasn't more news related to a build of the game.

That video belongs in the dreams thread.

Yeah, seeing this thread get bumped got me excited thinking something new had been unearthed. Definitely not the thread to resurrect for a Dreams creation (Even though it is cool on it's own).

JSoup

Banned
But how do you still follow the development? There hasn't been a post here in 5 years. Its still going on?

Pretty much every major Sonic and Sega site has been keeping up with it. Google would be a good place to start.
And there hasn't been a post here in five years because over half the people in this thread are banned from aftermath of The Great Tantrum.

Romulus

Pretty much every major Sonic and Sega site has been keeping up with it. Google would be a good place to start.
And there hasn't been a post here in five years because over half the people in this thread are banned from aftermath of The Great Tantrum.

I should have made an all new thread I guess, even though people bitch about that even more. Or just hope the 6 people that follow this game randomly ran across it in the Dreams thread.

Top Bottom