• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late[st] has the best fighting game tutorial since VF4: Evo.

This game, which, in my opinion, is the best version of the best fighting game (any discussion on that, I'd rather leave for another time, and another thread), just came out today in japan. It'll be available on the Japanese PSN store in about 3 hours.

Here's a video of the game's Tutorial. And here's a video of one of the game's best players going through some of the new characters' Mission modes.

Some notable things I noticed (these are all per-character, it seems):

• A long list of practical combos (30+ for Enkidu alone)
  • Combo demonstrations, including button press timing
  • Mission mode tutorials are broken down into several categories, ranging from beginner to highly advanced; each category has its own introduction, and each combo has at least a short description of its utility.
  • The final Mission category for each character is "Tactics Guidance," where the game teaches things like recommended footsie moves for the neutral game, mixups, and hit confirmations.

To my knowledge, the only fighting game that even comes close to having such a comprehensive tutorial mode is Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution on PS2, and there hasn't even been another VF game with a tutorial on that level, much less a sequel to an anime game. Guilty Gear Xrd: Revelator has a strong tutorial, too, but not like this. Definitely not like this.

This is arguably the most love I've ever seen a fighting game developer show to its community, including Skullgirls. There's just so much tutorial content. I look forward to buying this game in Japanese tonight, buying it in English later this year, and buying it for PC whenever that gets released.

Here's a translation of the game's menus (including the Tutorial titles and Mission types) by Sourenga.

Will probably pick this up on vita if only to stare at on my shelf since it requires higher firmware. I'll get to it one day.

preta

I'm loving this trend of super-comprehensive tutorials in fighting games. I haven't played regular UNIEL but I'll definitely plan on getting this at English release. I've wanted to get into it for a bit anyway.

Caim

Can't wait to grab this later on today when JP PSN updates.

Been watching some streams and the training + mission modes are really good.

Massive improvements over the previous versions of the game.

English version was also announced at AX and supposed to be out by the end of this year.

sinkfla87

I've been wanting to give this game a shot. I saw vita mentioned and I know it was on PS3, but will it be available on PS4? I'm out of the loop lol.

With that said, I wish I all fighting games came with tutorials like that. :( Sounds wonderful.

I've been wanting to give this game a shot. I saw vita mentioned and I know it was on PS3, but will it be available on PS4? I'm out of the loop lol.

With that said, I wish I all fighting games came with tutorials like that. :( Sounds wonderful.

This version is on PS4, PS3, and Vita. It'll probably launch on Steam at some point, too.

Kumubou

It was kind of disappointing to see UNIEL not launch with any extra modes or tutorials or anything of that sort... and I guess the development team took that to heart and went to the other extreme rather quickly.

Now what will people's excuse be for not knowing how to play the game? :V

Under night isnt related to melty blood is it? I hate melty blood.
Why would you hate one of the best fighting games ever made??? :<

It actually is the same developer (French Bread) and they do share some core mechanics (such as being able to chain normals freely and French Bread's love of chargeable attacks) and even a character (Sion/Eltnum), but they do play rather differently. I guess it comes down to why you dislike the game, really.

Any word on release outside Japan?
Aksys is publishing the game in fall/winter 2017, but no exact date has been announced yet.

JB2448

This thread should definitely be bumped once the English version comes out, and then again when it comes out on PC. One of the main complaints I see on this forum (and many others) has to do with the lack of guidance and tutorials to help newcomers get into any particular fighting game. I hope this gets as much attention as possible from people that want to get into fighting games but couldn't before this because of tutorials not being in-depth enough.

RS4-

This thread should definitely be bumped once the English version comes out, and then again when it comes out on PC. One of the main complaints I see on this forum (and many others) has to do with the lack of guidance and tutorials to help newcomers get into any particular fighting game. I hope this gets as much attention as possible from people that want to get into fighting games but couldn't before this because of tutorials not being in-depth enough.

Yeah, lack of english is stopping me from buying the game.

Most definitely! Seeing as how Revelator's tutorial isn't nearly as comprehensive, UNIST is the single most accessible fighting game out right now in terms of there being a learning path from new player to intermediate, or even advanced.

Excited. This is the secret best fighting game out right now. Folks been sleeping on it and it's too bad.

People have been sleeping on it for years, man, and it makes me sad. The previous version didn't have the greatest balance in the world, but it was still very well put-together compared to most of the competition. The Grind Grid system is the most elegant mechanic I've ever seen in a fighting game. Build meter by making good fighting game decisions. Spend it to bet hard on reads, further improving your position if you're correct, and worsening it if you aren't. So many layers.

Yeah, lack of english is stopping me from buying the game.

Do what I do, and use the Google Translate app to read any descriptions that aren't included in the translation guide in the OP.

I loved UNIEL and this sounds pretty good. Shame it's way too niche for people to notice it.

I want to grab the game now but I want to wait for the English release. The at least 6 month wait is gonna suck.

ArjanN

This game, which, in my opinion, is the best version of the best fighting game (any discussion on that, I'd rather leave for another time, and another thread), just came out today in japan. It'll be available on the Japanese PSN store in about 3 hours.

Here's a video of the game's Tutorial. And here's a video of one of the game's best players going through some of the new characters' Mission modes.

• Mission mode tutorials are broken down into several categories, ranging from beginner to highly advanced; each category has its own introduction, and each combo has at least a short description of its utility.
  • The final Mission category for each character is "Tactics Guidance," where the game teaches things like recommended footsie moves for the neutral game, mixups, and hit confirmations.

To my knowledge, the only fighting game that even comes close to having such a comprehensive tutorial mode is Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution on PS2, and there hasn't even been another VF game with a tutorial on that level, much less a sequel to an anime game. Guilty Gear Xrd: Revelator has a strong tutorial, too, but not like this. Definitely not like this.

This is arguably the most love I've ever seen a fighting game developer show to its community, including Skullgirls. There's just so much tutorial content. I look forward to buying this game in Japanese tonight, buying it in English later this year, and buying it for PC whenever that gets released.

Here's a translation of the game's menus (including the Tutorial titles and Mission types) by Sourenga.

I dunno, I think Revelator actually has a pretty similar amount of stuff if you consider all the mission and combo stuff part of the tutorial.

UNIEL really needed it though, because that game didn't tell you much at all. UNIEL surprised me in that it's actually really fun and pretty easy execution-wise, although to be honest some of the really high level play I saw actually turned me off a little as people seemed to be doing nearly 'touch of death' type combos.

Hopefull [ST] doesn't take too long to come to PC.

Blu(e)

I think this a good way to do it. Focusing on the gameplay balancing and skimp out on single player content. Essentially a game made for fighting game players. When the game is nearing it's final version make a complete tutorial with all the reiterated balance update/community knowledge in mind and do all the regular single player modes attached. I believe this version also brings a story mode called "Chronicle Mode" to the game. This makes it the perfect time for new players and casual players to jump in. People won't have to complain about waiting for a "super" version and the tutorial would be extensive won't be outdated.

That's the name of the game??? Jesus. Is it coming to the west, because I hope they change the name. That'll cost them a ton of sales. What the fuck does it even mean?

BlazBlue and Guilty Gear desperately need this added to their combo demonstrations.

That's the name of the game??? Jesus. Is it coming to the west, because I hope they change the name. That'll cost them a ton of sales. What the fuck does it even mean?
The game takes place under a phenomenon called the Hollow Night, the majority of the characters involved are referred to as In-Births due to possessing special powers, and this is the Latest revision of the game.

Yes, it's stupid. But a niche fighting game probably isn't too concerned about its sales in the west based on its really dumb looking title.

I dunno, I think Revelator actually has a pretty similar amount of stuff if you consider all the mission and combo stuff part of the tutorial.

UNIEL really needed it though, because that game didn't tell you much at all. UNIEL surprised me in that it's actually really fun and pretty easy execution-wise, although to be honest some of the really high level play I saw actually turned me off a little as people seemed to be doing nearly 'touch of death' type combos.

Hopefull [ST] doesn't take too long to come to PC.

Nope. In terms of per-character content, Revelator had, a bunch of combos, but they weren't all necessarily useful, nor did they actually teach you how to play the character. IIRC there was some "vs this character" stuff, where they'd teach one or two of that characters gimmicks and how to defend against them, but nothing even approaching what UNIST is doing.

&#12302;Inaba Resident&#12303;;243952272 said:
Wow. Seems like they took the feedback about no tutorial to heart.

They actually had a pretty okay tutorial before, but it was in video form. Still, they did explain each character's general tactics, and how their combos and tricks worked. This is just far, far more comprehensive than I've seen in literally any game since VF4: Evo. I'd argue that it even transcends fighting games in that regard. I can't recall any other game, period, that put this much effort into teaching its players how to maximize their enjoyment of it. Imagine buying a guitar with an HDMI port that you could plug into your TV and get RockSmith. That's what this is the fighting game equivalent of, IMO.

Hazzuh

UNIEL is already one of the best fighting games ever, looking forward to picking up the western release of UNIST! I hear the balance is better too haha..

Bought the original game on Steam while it was on sale to see if I'd like it. Turns out I do so I'll definitely pick this up and spend some time learning it. First impression was that characters get wild but the overall universal system is basically genius.

Zyrox

Nice to hear that it has a good tutorial. Kinda ignored the original when it released but after the announcement of BBXTB I'm definitely picking this one up when it releases in the west to familiarize myself with all these characters.

Now what will people's excuse be for not knowing how to play the game? :V

Even when a game does have a good tutorial, Blazblue, GGxrd Sign and Rev and now this GAF will still find a way to complain because they have to think for a single iota and they will cry about direction inputs being bad game design (yes that was actually said.). That recent thread about fighting games annoys me to hell and back.

Numb

Even when a game does have a good tutorial, Blazblue, GGxrd Sign and Rev and now this GAF will still find a way to complain because they have to think for a single iota and they will cry about direction inputs being bad game design (yes that was actually said.). That recent thread about fighting games annoys me to hell and back.

People want fighting games not to be fighting games-y
lol

In case anyone was waiting, the game is up now on the Japanese PSN store.

Edit: Jesus, this game's advanced tutorial teaches fuzzy blocking, then fuzzy hitting. It's really, actually comprehensive!

This game even teaches frame traps.

This got an updated version? I've been really enjoying the Steam version.

Guilty Gear XRD has a fantastic tutorial as well. Arcystem works is the best fighting game dev on the planet!

5th option from the top on the pause menu shows an example of whatever it is they're teaching, so you don't need to be able to read to ultimately get the lesson.

Section 5 of each character's mission mode is:

1. Neutral game (footsies)
  2. Hit confirms
  3. Mixing up a defensive opponent (using overheads and lows during blockstrings)
  4. Using reversals during blockstrings
  5. Anti-airs
  6. Punishing projectiles (not sure if this is Akatsuki-specific)

Bought the Vita version and the PS4 package is waiting for me at home.
Anybody know if there is cross-save for Vita/PS4? I guess since it's not advertised, I should assume no, but if that trophy list is separate it's gonna kinda suck if I have to do everything twice on both versions.

4th option from the top is auto-restart the combo on failure.

Bought the Vita version and the PS4 package is waiting for me at home.
Anybody know if there is cross-save for Vita/PS4? I guess since it's not advertised, I should assume no, but if that trophy list is separate it's gonna kinda suck if I have to do everything twice on both versions.

Yes, it has cross save upload/download.

Top Bottom